Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/16/2015 6:01:38 PM EDT
Me and my friend are looking to get a couple coyotes if possible two weekends from now.  

We have called lots of the game offices and no one has really had much info on where might be a good spot to find some.

We are out of Denver but willing to travel some if necessary.

Anyone out there have any good spots they would be willing to share??

Thanks in advance
Link Posted: 4/16/2015 6:42:08 PM EDT
[#1]
Good luck getting someone to give up their varmint grounds.  Sometimes they'll let you tag along. The serious shooters have gone to NV & FLIR
Link Posted: 4/16/2015 8:33:17 PM EDT
[#2]
OP, are you running cans?  Do you have any NV or Thermal gear?
Link Posted: 4/16/2015 9:01:02 PM EDT
[#3]
The national grasslands were recommended to me.  Make sure your small game/combo license is current.  Last year's license expired two weeks ago.
Link Posted: 4/16/2015 10:52:29 PM EDT
[#4]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote
the only can I have is for a 22LR on a bolt rifle.

Too small for coyote right ?

no NV or thermal gear
Link Posted: 4/16/2015 10:52:45 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

The national grasslands were recommended to me.  Make sure your small game/combo license is current.  Last year's license expired two weeks ago.
View Quote
I did get a current license

Link Posted: 4/17/2015 12:45:56 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

no NV or thermal gear
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

no NV or thermal gear

Thats going to limit you to day time hunting.  Just an FYI
Link Posted: 4/17/2015 12:48:33 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

no NV or thermal gear

yeah we were back shortly after sunset last time.

I thought it was illegal to take game after sunset ?  
Link Posted: 4/17/2015 8:33:39 AM EDT
[#8]
You can get a permit to take coyotes at night.  

Link Posted: 4/17/2015 8:54:44 AM EDT
[#9]
I always pop into these threads to say: I would love to tag along with someone. Will meet in person too (before the hunt) so you get a chance to meet me before committing to letting me tag along.
Thanks,
Dan
Link Posted: 4/17/2015 9:09:45 AM EDT
[#10]
I've hunted yotes quite a bit in Colorado. I will say the same thing I do to people that ask about elk and deer. If you are hunting public land, get as far away from roads as possible. Less is more with calling. I few jackrabbit distress calls and sit and wait. Call ever 15 min or so, if you don't get a response walk another mile. Start with quiet calls and work your way up to louder

Most people want to hunt yotes in 1000 yard long fields. I've had better luck in the brush with a 12 gauge. I've hunted all over the from range and quite a bit on the west too. There are yotes almost everywhere. I've killed a good number in the public land near 11 mile reservoir.
Link Posted: 4/17/2015 10:20:34 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I've hunted yotes quite a bit in Colorado. I will say the same thing I do to people that ask about elk and deer. If you are hunting public land, get as far away from roads as possible. Less is more with calling. I few jackrabbit distress calls and sit and wait. Call ever 15 min or so, if you don't get a response walk another mile. Start with quiet calls and work your way up to louder

Most people want to hunt yotes in 1000 yard long fields. I've had better luck in the brush with a 12 gauge. I've hunted all over the from range and quite a bit on the west too. There are yotes almost everywhere. I've killed a good number in the public land near 11 mile reservoir.
View Quote

Thank you very much for the info, seriously. I have been wanting to take my 11yr old son for awhile now. He passed his Hunter safety course last summer but I have not been able to get any precise info on where to hunt, and since I have never hunted myself it is kind of intimidating......I dont want to break any laws or do anything unethical.
Link Posted: 4/17/2015 11:58:05 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote

On private land, you can blast em 24/7 assuming the land owner says kill em (which they always do )

I run a suppressed AR15 using thermal.  Hunting partner uses a suppressed AR15 with night vision.  Its a killer pairing.

Link Posted: 4/17/2015 2:27:13 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

On private land, you can blast em 24/7 assuming the land owner says kill em (which they always do )

I run a suppressed AR15 using thermal.  Hunting partner uses a suppressed AR15 with night vision.  Its a killer pairing.

http://www.op4hunts.com/photo_gallery/475x267xpofnight.jpg.pagespeed.ic.eJgbA4A_5T.jpg
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://www.op4hunts.com/photo_gallery/475x267xpofnight.jpg.pagespeed.ic.eJgbA4A_5T.jpg

It is times like this that make me hate you with a burning passion.

I am so far behind.
Link Posted: 4/17/2015 2:29:41 PM EDT
[#14]
Also this...

Raccoons, coyotes, bobcats, striped skunks, beavers, and red, gray, and swift foxes can be hunted at night.

On private land, artificial light is allowed at night to hunt beavers, raccoons, coyotes, bobcats, striped skunks and red, gray or swift foxes with permission of landowner or agent.

On public land, artificial light is allowed at night with permit from local district or area wildlife manager, to hunt raccoons, coyotes, bobcats, striped skunks, beavers and red, gray or swift foxes. Permits are valid for time and place specified.
View Quote

I read that as, If you are using thermal or NV that you are GTG even without a permit. Permit only required for using artificial light.

Correct me if I am wrong.
Link Posted: 4/17/2015 3:51:38 PM EDT
[#15]
This is why I link up with rancher friends. Dont have to worry bout silly laws
Link Posted: 4/17/2015 4:44:02 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

View Quote
Very helpful, thanks.   I am hoping to leave denver soon and maybe move out to the western slope if I can find work out there

Link Posted: 4/18/2015 3:42:47 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View Quote

Do your rancher friends need anymore friends?
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 3:43:27 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ya, I'm jealous!
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 4:16:26 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Depends on how far out you wanna drive lol. They're in Saguache
Link Posted: 4/19/2015 12:28:13 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Looks like that's about 3.5 hours from me......probably a little further than I'd wanna go. I bet it's fun though!
Link Posted: 4/19/2015 7:38:06 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Looks like that's about 3.5 hours from me......probably a little further than I'd wanna go. I bet it's fun though!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It is! Though I haven't gone this year yet and calving is over
Link Posted: 4/19/2015 11:17:32 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Make it a weekend trip. Set up camp and shoot away.
Link Posted: 4/19/2015 11:59:46 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

What is calving? Forgive my ignorance.
Link Posted: 4/19/2015 12:02:19 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's true! If a trip were to be planned and I was invited, I don't think I could turn that down!
Link Posted: 4/19/2015 12:09:30 PM EDT
[#25]

What is calving? Forgive my ignorance.
View Quote

When cows are giving birth. Coyotes go nuts over new born calves and after birth. The ranch I normally help out has lost 4 calves so far this year to yotes
Link Posted: 4/19/2015 12:12:18 PM EDT
[#26]

That's true! If a trip were to be planned and I was invited, I don't think I could turn that down!
View Quote

I was gonna down this next weekend, but turns out there is a baby shower for my sister in law and I was voluntold to help with games.

I'm gonna try again in May
Link Posted: 4/19/2015 5:27:37 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View Quote

I was gonna down this next weekend, but turns out there is a baby shower for my sister in law and I was voluntold to help with games.

View Quote

Ya, I know how that goes. If you would allow me to tag along when you go, I would be greatful!
Link Posted: 4/19/2015 6:20:02 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Ya, I know how that goes. If you would allow me to tag along when you go, I would be greatful!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sure thing bud. chances are marksjeep would be coming too
Link Posted: 4/19/2015 8:01:34 PM EDT
[#29]
Absolutely.  243 is dialed in.  
Link Posted: 4/19/2015 8:02:19 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View Quote

I go over there sometimes too.  Haven't had a lot of success lately though.
Link Posted: 4/19/2015 8:39:50 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Absolutely.  243 is dialed in.  
View Quote

Hopefully we can get down there soon
Link Posted: 4/20/2015 8:21:30 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Right on!
Link Posted: 4/20/2015 9:47:37 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

View Quote

When cows are giving birth. Coyotes go nuts over new born calves and after birth. The ranch I normally help out has lost 4 calves so far this year to yotes

See I'd probably make too much of a mess popping them off with 308

Link Posted: 4/20/2015 10:53:43 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Nah, 308 is a really good yote round.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top