Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/11/2015 5:17:49 PM EDT
The wife wants to see some mountains.  And jewelry stores.  And art.

It seems like a while back I saw a post about cabins near Salida.  Last summer we passed thru Salida but were on our way to Mesa Verde so didn't stop.  Any info about Pueblo and Salida would be helpful.  Thx.

Paladin

eta: we live in west Texas, so a change of scenery would be nice.
Link Posted: 4/11/2015 7:30:12 PM EDT
[#1]
Pueblo???  Well, it's on the way to Salida, I guess...  
Link Posted: 4/11/2015 8:26:10 PM EDT
[#2]
I only go to Pueblo to shop.  I finally found the Orowheat Outlet store.

I'd go to Mission Wolf which is SW of Pueblo.  Look it up on the net.

I'd also go to Bent's Fort which is SE of Pueblo.
Link Posted: 4/11/2015 11:03:11 PM EDT
[#3]
Check out the Mt. Princeton hot springs, they are close to Salida.
Link Posted: 4/12/2015 12:14:38 AM EDT
[#4]
Chaffee county (Salida) has more mountains over 14,000 feet than any county in the state.  To say it is scenic is an understatement.  

Salida has a lot of art galleries and  shops.  Lots of artsy types have located here.  Many are quite good, some exceptional.  Your wife should love it.

FIBARK (First In Boating on the Arkansas) Festival is 3rd week of June and is a 60 year tradition.  Typically brings 20-25 thousand people into town to watch & participate in the rafting/kayaking/boating races & fun runs & mountain bike events.

Gentlemen of the Road tour will stop in Salida in August bring an estimated 35,000 people to this town of 5500 for three days.  Mumford & Sons headlines with lots of other acts booked on the main stage and numerous venues around downtown Salida (which boasts the largest national historic district in the state.)

We have a great, free shooting range that includes pistol bays, trap and long range precision shooting out to 1000 yards.

Other than that, not much going for us.  

I keed, I keed.  

I'm blessed to live here.  

Link Posted: 4/12/2015 3:31:49 AM EDT
[#5]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Chaffee county (Salida) has more mountains over 14,000 feet than any county in the state.  To say it is scenic is an understatement.  

Salida has a lot of art galleries and  shops.  Lots of artsy types have located here.  Many are quite good, some exceptional.  Your wife should love it.

FIBARK (First In Boating on the Arkansas) Festival is 3rd week of June and is a 60 year tradition.  Typically brings 20-25 thousand people into town to watch & participate in the rafting/kayaking/boating races & fun runs & mountain bike events.

Gentlemen of the Road tour will stop in Salida in August bring an estimated 35,000 people to this town of 5500 for three days.  Mumford & Sons headlines with lots of other acts booked on the main stage and numerous venues around downtown Salida (which boasts the largest national historic district in the state.)

We have a great, free shooting range that includes pistol bays, trap and long range precision shooting out to 1000 yards.

I keed, I keed.  

View Quote
Thanks for all the nice info.  Im live in Denver but did not know all those things

Link Posted: 4/12/2015 8:38:20 AM EDT
[#6]
I always liked the drive up/down the valley from Salida to Leadville--you're cruising the Sawatch Range, the veritable spine of the Colorado Rockies.  Twin Lakes, between Buena Vista and L'ville is a nice diversion with a heckuva view.  If you want artsy, go over Independence Pass to Aspen, or keep going north from Leadville to Vail.  Or, go NE from L'ville to Copper Mountain, then on to Frisco, Breckenridge and such.
Link Posted: 4/14/2015 3:33:05 PM EDT
[#7]
Between Pueblo and Salida, Florence used to have good antique stores but the recession has thinned them out.
Link Posted: 4/14/2015 4:37:20 PM EDT
[#8]
Things to do in Pueblo?  Drive through it.
Link Posted: 4/14/2015 4:55:13 PM EDT
[#9]
The only things around Pueblo that I am familiar with are the 3D/Field archery range in Beulah (west of Pueblo) and Bishop's Castle.  Bishop's Castle is a great drive in a sports car or on a bike I'd imagine, but not sure the Castle itself is worth the journey.

If you want to see wildlife while you are out, a drive up Cottonwood Pass out of Buena Vista should let you see some mule deer and likely elk.  I happened to catch a mountain lion on the roadside once, but that was a quick glimpse before it was out of site.  Even in downtown BV, along the river, you are apt to see some big deer (if they have antlers when you are here).

If you head back behind Twin Lakes, there are some great vantage points to see mountain goats.  Sadly, I've never seen bighorn outside of Waterton Canyon (Metro Denver!) and Idaho Springs that I can recall.  

The range in Salida is okay if you like ranges that are free, clean, the opportunity to shoot steel, separate ranges for handguns, shotguns, and rifles, and no waits for shooting.  there is the advantage of the free archery range right there too.  Oh, and I recall the bathroom facilities being clean, which the ladies tend to appreciate.  So if you like those things and shooting a gun, really can't beat that range.  I will tell you there is nothing in the Denver area that has all of those things (that I am aware of and would love to be told differently).

Actually, the Royal Gorge would probably be intersting to you.  Located west of Pueblo near Canon City.  You could take HWY 50 into Salida from there and that would be a nice drive I think.
Link Posted: 4/14/2015 5:53:03 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Things to do in Pueblo?  Drive through it.
View Quote

Actually, the best time I had in Pueblo was attending the green chile and frjole festival in late summer/early fall.  It's very blue collar but fun.  Hwaylo by de reeber, it is what it is.  

If a guy wanted to see mountains, he could do worse than going west out of Pueblo on Hwy 96 up to Westcliffe and the Wet Mountain valley.  The Sangre de Cristos, on the west side of the valley, are one heckuva mountain range.  From Westcliffe you could go north on Hwy 69 and hit Hwy 50, then carry on to Salida.
Link Posted: 4/15/2015 2:36:43 PM EDT
[#11]
If one likes old home/mansion tours, the Rosemont house is a pleasant tour.

Also, Pueblo Municipal airport has a small airplane museum that has some interesting aircraft among its admittedly not huge collection.
Link Posted: 4/22/2015 6:22:24 PM EDT
[#12]
Pueblo has the Colorado State Fair, Aug 28 to Sept 7 this year.  That's usually a good time.
Link Posted: 4/23/2015 10:47:29 AM EDT
[#13]
I probably go to Buena Vista
Link Posted: 6/16/2015 12:08:57 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

I keed, I keed.  

View Quote

Don't forget the Boathouse Cantina. Sage's Pork Green Chili and a Cucumber Margarita. Delicious.
Link Posted: 6/17/2015 1:14:28 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Don't forget the Boathouse Cantina. Sage's Pork Green Chili and a Cucumber Margarita. Delicious.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I keed, I keed.  

Quite right.  Good eats and the place is right on the river with a great view of the kayaker's water park.

Thumper, I've always appreciated your posts.  Next time you and your family are in town, look me up.  I'll give ya the nickel tour of our public range and the private range I have access to.
Link Posted: 6/17/2015 2:23:45 PM EDT
[#16]
Much appreciated, sir. I'll be up there next month, in fact. Know that last log cabin on the left on the road to O'Haver?
Link Posted: 6/17/2015 3:01:19 PM EDT
[#17]
I know the road to O'Haver.  The cabin...not specifically.

I'll IM you my business phone number, as I'm pretty much always on call.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top