Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/23/2015 11:35:26 AM EDT
I know the bill is still winding its way through the legislature, but we need to voice our concerns to Hick now, in case this legislation makes it to his desk.  As my friends at the Colorado 2nd Amendment Association have said, now is the time to write to the Governor and insure our voices are heard.

Don't get me wrong - we have a long fight ahead of us, especially in the House.  It is likely that the bill won't even make it to Hick's desk, but if it does, we need to have done everything we can to convince him that we the people want this bill signed into law.

You can write to the Governor here.

My letter is below:

Governor Hickenlooper,

I am writing to you today in support of the magazine ban repeal bill that is currently working its way through the Colorado State Legislature.

This bill has passed the Senate, and now awaits a vote in the House.  Should it make it through the House and to your desk, I urge you to sign this repeal into law.  Coloradans from all over the state want to have their rights reinstated.  When these bills passed in 2013, there was historic backlash against the government officials who did not listen to their constituency and passed this bill against massive public backlash.  These bills led to historic recalls, including against the sitting State Senate President.  It was obvious to the onlookers that these bills were unpopular and unconstitutional.

60 of our 64 state sheriffs began a lawsuit against the state over the bills passed in the 2013 legislative session, and that lawsuit is still working its way through the courts.  Given that no one has been charged with violation of this law yet, it seems to be nothing more than a feelgood attempt at legislation, and one that flies in the face of facts and logic.  After the federal assault weapons ban sunset in the early 2000s, the federal government sanctioned a study which showed that the AWB, which included a ban on magazines holding over 10 rounds, was ineffective.  Ineffective laws have no place on our books, and should be repealed.  Colorado made good strides in this area recently with the public vote to decriminalize marijuana use, and it would be great to see that type of governance continue.

Thank you for your time,
name
View Quote
Link Posted: 3/23/2015 6:17:09 PM EDT
[#1]
I would also encourage anyone willing to get involved to focus attention on Dickey Lee Hullinghorst and the Democrat members of the House State Veterans and Military Affairs Committee.  

Dickey Lee is the House Speaker and she has made it abundantly clear that she will steer this to the House "kill committee" (SVMAC).  Problem is, she is a thoroughly loyal party apparatchik moonbat, elected by a huge margin by the moonbatty electorate of Boulder.  Not only is she motivated to support the party line at all costs, she has no reason to fear repercussion for that decision.  We may, however, be able to annoy and antagonize the veneer off her public statements for later use.

The committee members might be swayed if they are in any way vulnerable, assuming they aren't quite as willing to fall on their swords for the emperor's policies.  I'm not optimistic about our odds but I also know those odds fall to zero-point-fuck-all if we don't TRY.  Besides - sometimes you beat the odds in the end.
Link Posted: 3/25/2015 5:04:06 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I would also encourage anyone willing to get involved to focus attention on Dickey Lee Hullinghorst and the Democrat members of the House State Veterans and Military Affairs Committee.  

Dickey Lee is the House Speaker and she has made it abundantly clear that she will steer this to the House "kill committee" (SVMAC).  Problem is, she is a thoroughly loyal party apparatchik moonbat, elected by a huge margin by the moonbatty electorate of Boulder.  Not only is she motivated to support the party line at all costs, she has no reason to fear repercussion for that decision.  We may, however, be able to annoy and antagonize the veneer off her public statements for later use.

The committee members might be swayed if they are in any way vulnerable, assuming they aren't quite as willing to fall on their swords for the emperor's policies.  I'm not optimistic about our odds but I also know those odds fall to zero-point-fuck-all if we don't TRY.  Besides - sometimes you beat the odds in the end.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Yes indeed, also very important now.  We need to fight this from both fronts -- soften the Governor up if the bill makes it to his desk, and tell the House committee members that we want to see it passed as well.

If you want to email the members of the House Committee who hold the fate of this bill in their hands, their email addresses are:
[email protected],
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]

With separating commas for straight copy/paste into your email client of choice:
[email protected],
[email protected],
[email protected],
[email protected],
[email protected],
[email protected],
[email protected],
[email protected],
[email protected],
[email protected],
[email protected]

I only slightly altered my email to the Governor for this group:
Members of the House State, Veterans, & Military Affairs Committee,

I am writing to you today in support of the magazine ban repeal bill that is currently working its way through the Colorado State Legislature.

This bill has passed the Senate, and now awaits a vote in your committee to see if the bill should be moved to the full House for consideration. I urge your committee to send this bill to the full House. Coloradans from all over the state want to have their rights reinstated. When these bills passed in 2013, there was historic backlash against the government officials who did not listen to their constituency and passed this bill against massive public backlash. These bills led to historic recalls, including against the sitting State Senate President. It was obvious to the onlookers that these bills were unpopular and unconstitutional.

60 of our 64 state sheriffs began a lawsuit against the state over the bills passed in the 2013 legislative session, and that lawsuit is still working its way through the courts. Given that no one has been charged with violation of this law yet, it seems to be nothing more than a feelgood attempt at legislation, and one that flies in the face of facts and logic. After the federal assault weapons ban sunset in the early 2000s, the federal government sanctioned a study which showed that the AWB, which included a ban on magazines holding over 10 rounds, was ineffective. Ineffective laws have no place on our books, and should be repealed. Colorado made good strides in this area recently with the public vote to decriminalize marijuana use, and it would be great to see that type of governance continue.

Please allow all of our state representatives to vote on this crucial bill, and let the voices and will of the people be heard.

Thank you for your time,
Link Posted: 3/26/2015 2:20:23 PM EDT
[#3]
I'm not the best with words, but borrowed your email as a template:

Members of the House State, Veterans, & Military Affairs Committee:

I am writing  to advocate that the magazine ban repeal bill that has passed the Senate be heard by the ENTIRE House of Representatives.  This opportunity rests entirely on this committee. This issue has been very contentious as proved by the historic backlash against the government officials who did not listen to their constituency and voted for this bill originally.  These bills led to historic recalls, including against the then sitting State Senate President.   Further, 60 of our 64 state sheriffs began a lawsuit against the state over the bills passed in the 2013 legislative session, and that lawsuit is still working its way through the courts.  Based on these local examples, it appears that representation of the State, as a whole, not by a selected committee, is imperative.

Beyond Colorado's borders, the topic of the second amendment is also being broached.  As examples: the resignation of the Director of the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms (ATF) after attempting to ban a common bullet; Florida now allowing people without concealed carry weapon permit holders to carry concealed during evacuation; and Arizona laws aimed at prohibiting the use of funds to enforce new federal firearm laws.  These few examples serve as a barometer for the public's interest in the second amendment outside of Colorado.  

Given the contention inside and outside of Colorado, Coloradans from all over the state, through their elected representatives, deserve to be represented in such an important topic as they are brought into our legislature.  For true democracy to be had, the voice of all citizens must be heard.  Representatives throughout the State must be allowed to hear the Bill and vote on this crucial bill.

Sincerely,
Link Posted: 3/26/2015 7:32:51 PM EDT
[#4]
I sent a couple out as well. I invited the loop to come shooting with me.
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 10:43:21 PM EDT
[#5]
Nice work, gentlemen.  More letters are better!

I got a response from a member of Rep. Tate's staff:
Dear Lothbrok:

Thank you very much for contacting Representative Tate to express your support for SB15-175.  We  appreciate the information and perspective you shared with us.  Representative Tate is currently waiting to hear testimony on this bill before deciding his vote.  We will certainly keep your views in mind as we consider this issue here at the capitol.  Representative Tate is curious to know if you are a resident of the Centennial area?

Sincerely,
Laura Lundberg
Legislative Aide to Representative Jack Tate

State Representative (District 37, Centennial)
Colorado General Assembly

Office: 303-866-5510
View Quote

I responded that I am not, but I wrote to the committee because my rep doesn't sit on this committee, so if it doesn't pass to the full House for consideration, I won't get a chance to talk to my rep to try to sway their vote.
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 12:59:13 PM EDT
[#6]
bump

Write those letters, folks!
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 7:10:29 PM EDT
[#7]
This is the only response I have received.  

Dear Mr. Marksjeep:

I've spoken with Representative Tate and he does plan on supporting SB15-175. Thank you very much for contacting us, and feel free to do so when ever you want your voice to be heard.

Sincerely,

Spencer Brent

Legislative Aide

Email: [email protected]

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 9:18:46 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
This is the only response I have received.  

Dear Mr. Marksjeep:

I've spoken with Representative Tate and he does plan on supporting SB15-175. Thank you very much for contacting us, and feel free to do so when ever you want your voice to be heard.

Sincerely,

Spencer Brent

Legislative Aide

Email: [email protected]

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
View Quote

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top