Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/17/2015 3:33:49 PM EDT
Does anyone know what the law says on carrying a 2nd firearm as a back up in Colorado? Where is a good place to find the law? I did a search and cant find anything on it. Thanks for any input!
Link Posted: 3/17/2015 3:44:53 PM EDT
[#1]
If you have your CCW, you can carry as many as you want.

Just out of curiosity, why?  I would think reloads would be a better use of space/weight.

Not trying to be a dick, genuinely curious.
Link Posted: 3/17/2015 4:40:50 PM EDT
[#2]
A friend who just got their CCW asked me. I told him to just carry a spray mag for his glock but he wants a full back up gun and was wondering how the law was. Is there a good website that clearly lists the CCW laws in Colorado? Thanks!
Link Posted: 3/17/2015 11:02:45 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
A friend who just got their CCW asked me. I told him to just carry a spray mag for his glock but he wants a full back up gun and was wondering how the law was. Is there a good website that clearly lists the CCW laws in Colorado? Thanks!
View Quote

There is no limit to how many firearms one can carry. Probably the reason you're unable to find any info on it.
Link Posted: 3/18/2015 2:17:44 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
View Quote

CCWs don't come attached to a specific gun, so you can carry several at once, or several at different times.

For laws, go to the source.  Google works great too.  NRA-ILA.

https://www.nraila.org/gun-laws.aspx

Colorado state law on carrying, "It is unlawful to carry a firearm concealed on or about one's person without a permit, except for a person in his or her own dwelling, place of business, or on property owned or controlled by him or her."
Link Posted: 3/18/2015 10:45:20 PM EDT
[#5]
Regardless of the dipshit laws on mag restrictions, the fastest way to reload is a 2nd gun.    It's why cops have a "back up gun". etc.
Link Posted: 3/18/2015 11:54:48 PM EDT
[#6]
Thanks gentlemen!
Link Posted: 3/19/2015 5:43:02 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
If you have your CCW, you can carry as many as you want.

Just out of curiosity, why?  I would think reloads would be a better use of space/weight.

Not trying to be a dick, genuinely curious.
View Quote

Firearms sometimes have not easily remedied issues (imagine Murphy has a field day and the extractor rim rips right off the first round you fired or your firing pin breaks) or you may be separated from your primary arm (grabbed/lost in a tussle, you have to leave a larger full-size gun off-body, whatever).  Options are nice things to have.

I carry a G19, a spare mag, a DB380 BUG and a spare mag for it.
Link Posted: 3/20/2015 2:47:12 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Regardless of the dipshit laws on mag restrictions, the fastest way to reload is a 2nd gun.    It's why cops have a "back up gun". etc.
View Quote

Not true with an auto.  This was an axiom taught by Jim Cirillo when cops carried revolvers.  

Average draw & 1st round on target time: approx 2 sec
average reload & follow up shot on target: 1.5 sec

Why do you think competition shooters don't carry spare guns on their belt instead of reloading?  Think before drinking someone's kool aid....
Link Posted: 3/25/2015 1:03:11 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote

Disagree.  Most agencies had courses of fire that involved reloading under stress.   In my days, it was with speedloaders.  Eventually everyone went to pistols and this made reloading faster.  The purpose of the backup gun was in case your primary sidearm became disabled or you failed to retain it (naught you).

ETA:  Some agencies didn't allow for backup guns. Authorized duty weapons only in their policy.
Link Posted: 3/25/2015 10:09:12 PM EDT
[#10]
There are other reasons to carry a BUG other than the reload issue.

Number one and why I have done it for over 20 years:

I have a gun accessible to either hand.

Number two:

You can reload just as fast or faster than grabbing a second gun.  You probably are not clearing a malfunction faster than you are pulling that second gun(assuming you actually practice it to gain competency.).

Number three:

I can have my weak side hand on a gun discretely for those many times something does not feel right but you don't want to draw a gun.

Number 4
I actually pocket carry my bug.  So I literally have a gun in my hand walking around if my hand is in that pocket.  You don't get a much faster draw than that, concealed or other wise(Again, assuming you spend a LOT of time practicing.).

When I first started carrying a BUG I spent hours standing over the bed dropping my primary and going to the bug.  I have been shooting man vs man drills and run dry with no spares and dropped the gun without thinking about it and gone to the BUG to finish the course of fire.  

IMO, If you are going to carry a bug you need to spend as much time developing your skills with it as you do your primary.  And if you are carrying it to access with your non-dominant hand plan on spending MORE trigger time with it than your primary until you get running it offhanded down pat.  And for CYA document the fuck out of that time and effort spent.

JMHO YMMV
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top