Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/16/2015 6:58:32 PM EDT
What the hell is this thing and why was it parked outside in front of the parking lot of the Tanner Gun Show?

It was branded with LCSD and appears to be video capture.  That does NOT sound like Sheriff Smith mentality but several people have asked on his Facebook page and he's yet to respond.  Given how intently we've all been targeted, even the best of us gets a "trust but verify" in my book.

Anyone have insight in this hardware and why it was deployed?
Link Posted: 2/16/2015 7:19:17 PM EDT
[#1]
Google " police mobile camera system with generator" and hit images.

Coloradan article
Link Posted: 2/16/2015 7:24:32 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Coloradan article
View Quote

Thanks, l_r_c.  Not sure if I feel any better about it but at least it offers some explanation that doesn't appear to be specific to the show.  Lousy location/timing, given the January report of the DEA and ATF considering setting up video surveillance and license recording at gun shows!
Link Posted: 2/16/2015 11:40:26 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Thanks, l_r_c.  Not sure if I feel any better about it but at least it offers some explanation that doesn't appear to be specific to the show.  Lousy location/timing, given the January report of the DEA and ATF considering setting up video surveillance and license recording at gun shows!
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Coloradan article

It's been utilized against panhandlers, with good success.
Link Posted: 2/17/2015 5:57:37 AM EDT
[#4]
you have a link about the DEA and ATF video surveillance.   I would like to know more about this
Link Posted: 2/17/2015 11:02:53 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
you have a link about the DEA and ATF video surveillance.   I would like to know more about this
View Quote

Courtesy of both Guns.com and the ACLU - here.

When pro and "won't-say-'anti'-but-still-not-pro" gun groups both call bullshit, I think it's an indicator of veracity.
Link Posted: 2/18/2015 1:46:21 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 2/18/2015 3:04:05 PM EDT
[#7]
WTF.  Somebody owes us an answer.
Link Posted: 2/18/2015 6:52:05 PM EDT
[#8]
Near as I can tell, Sheriff Smith just went to OK on a family vacation.  I've emailed and will follow up with a phone call next week if there isn't some sort of response.
Link Posted: 2/19/2015 5:38:35 AM EDT
[#9]
thanks for the links Keith..very interesting to say the least. I agree someone owes an explanition
Link Posted: 2/19/2015 4:29:20 PM EDT
[#10]
I saw that goofy thing a lot of times over the last year or two on Mulberry near I-25.  The panhandler thing would make sense as there used to be a lot of people with signs, etc in that area.
Link Posted: 2/19/2015 7:48:59 PM EDT
[#11]
Is the killswitch locked up?
Link Posted: 2/19/2015 9:04:58 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I saw that goofy thing a lot of times over the last year or two on Mulberry near I-25.  The panhandler thing would make sense as there used to be a lot of people with signs, etc in that area.
View Quote

Yep.  I've seen it a lot at Timberline and Mulberry too, which is kind of odd since there aren't panhandlers there.

I always figured they were keeping an eye on the crack hotels off Mulberry and I25 with it, gotta be some shady shit that goes on over there.

Link Posted: 2/21/2015 2:10:36 PM EDT
[#13]
I think you guys are looking at this the wrong way.  Sheriff Smith is very pro-gun.  I saw the unit there (knew what it was). It's more than likely there because of the value of the property (guns) and when you think about the lack of people being armed (show gun rules) walking to and from their cars with money and guns.  Personally, I'm glad it was there
Link Posted: 2/21/2015 2:38:05 PM EDT
[#14]
I agree with the above post. But, it does make it suspicious to have it there , at a gun show. I suppose tho if anyone was really watching for the sake of tracking  gun nuts and patriot extremists or whatever they want to call it, they would make it less inconspicuous, and I doubt it'd be a county sheriff doing it.
Link Posted: 2/22/2015 2:27:11 AM EDT
[#15]
It has been deployed in other areas as a crime deterrent. I assume the same in this situation.
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 11:11:39 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
It has been deployed in other areas as a crime deterrent. I assume the same in this situation.
View Quote

You would think a gun show would be enough of a crime deterrent...
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 11:56:55 AM EDT
[#17]
I still have not heard back via social media or email.  Hard copy and phone calls are next.

What do you guys think?  Is it unreasonable to expect an acknowledgement that this was bad timing and some consideration in the future?  By "normal" standards, I wouldn't give a shit and would probably be glad that there'd be some video evidence if someone broke into my car while I was at the show.  Especially with Sheriff Smith's department - the guy is on the side of liberty, from what I know of him.

But we don't live in normal times anymore, law enforcement *is* using license plate readers and the Feds *did* float a plan to use that data to build a database... of who knows what, exactly, and why.  I'm starting to think it's time we think of ourselves as a "community" and start using the political correctness tactics the other side has employed for so long.  Get offended by everything, complain and scream targeting/discrimination about everything, and always choose to over, not under, react.
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 1:18:48 PM EDT
[#18]
In my opinion I think this was used for Crime Deterrent. If they were truly trying to track gun buyers I think they would just use the old van method. I don't really think they would use this for tracking people. I have seen these at malls during the holidays too. In the military we used them for surveillance but I can't see a Sheriff Department using this for to track gun buyers especially so conspicuous. They probably aren't responding because they are busy or they don't have a legal rep capable to write a proper statement lol.
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 1:30:52 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
They probably aren't responding because they are busy or they don't have a legal rep capable to write a proper statement lol.
View Quote

I can see that!

Like I said, I don't see this being a lp tracker situation in Larimer - but the fact that it's something that could happen, I think, means that we need to make it part of the thought process going forward.  And that means raising a persistent stink, even when it's innocent.  I just suck at being all hypersensitive, even if I recognize the usefulness of it.
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 4:33:06 PM EDT
[#20]
That's a drill rig dummy. Everyone knows the sheriff department is big on fracking.
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 6:40:21 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
In my opinion I think this was used for Crime Deterrent. If they were truly trying to track gun buyers I think they would just use the old van method. I don't really think they would use this for tracking people. I have seen these at malls during the holidays too. In the military we used them for surveillance but I can't see a Sheriff Department using this for to track gun buyers especially so conspicuous. They probably aren't responding because they are busy or they don't have a legal rep capable to write a proper statement lol.
View Quote

I'm sorry to be blunt, but it doesn't really matter what you think.  There is already proof out there that LE agencies are using these to track citizens, and that the feds want to tap into that data.  As such, putting one up outside of a gun show - even in the name of "crime deterrence" - is a problem.  Sheriff Smith, or someone from his agency, ought to respond to that problem.
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 1:39:34 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

I'm sorry to be blunt, but it doesn't really matter what you think.  There is already proof out there that LE agencies are using these to track citizens, and that the feds want to tap into that data.  As such, putting one up outside of a gun show - even in the name of "crime deterrence" - is a problem.  Sheriff Smith, or someone from his agency, ought to respond to that problem.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

CALL or Drive up to the LCSO office and ask to speak with him. IF you're that concerned, he actually takes appointments.

IF you own a firearm purchased within the last 20+ years from a FFL, Have a CCW, a Hunter Safety Card, EVER applied for a small, or other game license, Own any NFA item. the Feds Already KNOW .
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 8:40:33 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

IF you own a firearm purchased within the last 20+ years from a FFL, Have a CCW, a Hunter Safety Card, EVER applied for a small, or other game license, Own any NFA item. the Feds Already KNOW .
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

How dare you inject logic and common sense into this Jim.
You KNOW better.....
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 11:00:02 AM EDT
[#24]
Please don't make this a tinfoil thing.  Yes "they know" if you are a gun owner.  However, "they" really are seeking to build databases of such things and were planning on expanding it to people simply attending gun shows.  This includes, per the ACLU and FOIAed docs, using both license plate scanners and "facial recognition technologies" for people who were not suspected of any crimes.

I do NOT think that's what was happening here.  However, the fact that we are being targeted for baseless surveillance like this should make LEOs who support us - men such as Sheriff Smith - a little more sensitive to appearances.  I'm in Longmont but will make time to request a meeting with Sheriff Smith.
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 11:29:21 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Please don't make this a tinfoil thing.  Yes "they know" if you are a gun owner.  However, "they" really are seeking to build databases of such things and were planning on expanding it to people simply attending gun shows.  This includes, per the ACLU and FOIAed docs, using both license plate scanners and "facial recognition technologies" for people who were not suspected of any crimes.

I do NOT think that's what was happening here.  However, the fact that we are being targeted for baseless surveillance like this should make LEOs who support us - men such as Sheriff Smith - a little more sensitive to appearances.  I'm in Longmont but will make time to request a meeting with Sheriff Smith.
View Quote

Thank you for acting instead of yaking.

This could have been set up with the purpose of looking for a specific element they had "intel" on.  What one needs to remember, IF one has a cell phone with 3 - what ever G is the latest / hippest service is. You are being tracked.  So my outrage level is fairly non-existent based on the numerous ways one can and quite possibly is being monitored. Outside a "camera" on the road in to a gun show.
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 11:31:48 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

This could have been set up with the purpose of looking for a specific element they had "intel" on.  What one needs to remember, IF one has a cell phone with 3 - what ever G is the latest / hippest service is. You are being tracked.  So my outrage level is fairly non-existent based on the numerous ways one can and quite possibly is being monitored. Outside a "camera" on the road in to a gun show.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Your entire premise is a logical fallacy, Jim.  "They're already tracking me, so what do I care if a little more observation happens?"  It doesn't matter - the fact of the matter is that it shouldn't be happening, and tacit approval of their programs only bolsters their stance.
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 1:02:42 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Your entire premise is a logical fallacy, Jim.  "They're already tracking me, so what do I care if a little more observation happens?"  It doesn't matter - the fact of the matter is that it shouldn't be happening, and tacit approval of their programs only bolsters their stance.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Have you called LCSO for an apt with the sheriff yet?  
Personally i could give a shit who is tracking who. It's the premises "THEY ARE TRACKING US" when we all use items that allow one to track us on a daily basis.  Like the GLOBAL WARMING crowd who cries and complains WE'RE NOT DOING ENOUGH TO STOP THE CLIMATE CHANGE. yet none of them will give up their SUV, large home, traveling cross country lifestyle. Instead THEY want someone else to deal with the problem.

When you stop using the internet, credit card, preferred customer when shopping, fuel points discount, cell phone and flying (if one is prone to doing so) Then one can complain / be outraged about Them Spying on us. Until them save it.
We're being tracked on a daily basis BUT you're OUTRAGED LCSO had a camera up by a gun show
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 1:39:58 AM EDT
[#29]
I posted the question on the sheriff's FB page and he responded "To protect vendors from thefts. That's why it was visible and marked."
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 2:35:05 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
I posted the question on the sheriff's FB page and he responded "To protect vendors from thefts. That's why it was visible and marked."
View Quote

As I expected.  Sheriff Smith is not a big government fascist.
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 10:02:44 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
View Quote

Well, gee, nice to see where I rate!

Seriously, though, that was the very first thing I - and about 3 other people - did since this came about from a FB post.  Wish he'd replied as quickly then but I'm glad he responded to you.  Thanks for following up.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top