Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Posted: 2/10/2015 12:28:02 PM EDT
With this unseasonably warm weather, I think we are all beginning to get the spring bug. I know I am. With that said, I propose we start putting together plans to have a spring shoot. Time wise, April or May would be great for me. TheGunCollector has graciously let us use his private range in the past, but I think we should look for a more public location so nobody feels obligated to be there. Anyone know of any good public land between Montrose and Grand Junction? I have my normal shooting spots in the adobes, a couple of which might work, but it would be good to hear from others. Also, does anyone have portable steel/targets? I've got a couple PVC target stands we can use. Post your thoughts!

ETA 1: April 11th it is! Let's try to nail down a location in the next 2-3 weeks.

ETA 2: Thanks to marksjeep and sammichmaker for taking the family on a scouting trip! See photo 3 in this link for the location, it is the furthest location in (a few miles off 50).

Also, marksjeep is bringing a grill. I'll bring a bunch of brats to share with everyone. Bring a snack to share if you'd like, but definitely make sure to bring plenty of water/soda for yourself. If anyone has an EZ-Up of small table they can bring, please let me know.
Link Posted: 2/10/2015 12:40:42 PM EDT
[#1]
I'm in, but as per usual, it'll probably conflict with my work schedule
Link Posted: 2/10/2015 12:59:12 PM EDT
[#2]
Move it to SE Utah and we can combine it with a climbing trip!  If I'm going to drive over the Divide, then I'd probably keep going west.

Yeah, I know that's going to float like a lead balloon here, but you can't blame me for trying.   Of course, there's some climbing S of GJ in Escalante (Colorado) too.

While I'm wishing in one hand, I also like 14ers, for anyone thinking ahead to the summer for a combo shooting/hiking weekend.

ETA: There should be a Front Range version.  I know Faucet Face is jonesing to get outside and so am I.  I've been doing too much indoor 25 yd and less cap popping.
Link Posted: 2/10/2015 1:19:42 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
While I'm wishing in one hand, I also like 14ers, for anyone thinking ahead to the summer for a combo shooting/hiking weekend.

ETA: There should be a Front Range version.  I know Faucet Face is jonesing to get outside and so am I.  I've been doing too much indoor 25 yd and less cap popping.
View Quote

We did a Buena Vista trip the summer before last and it didn't happen for this past summer. We'll have to do that again. We did some vehicle exploring, I'd be game for hiking one day of the days.
Link Posted: 2/10/2015 1:42:12 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
With this unseasonably warm weather, I think we are all beginning to get the spring bug. I know I am. With that said, I propose we start putting together plans to have a spring shoot. Time wise, April or May would be great for me. TheGunCollector has graciously let us use his private range in the past, but I think we should look for a more public location so nobody feels obligated to be there. Anyone know of any good public land between Montrose and Grand Junction? I have my normal shooting spots in the adobes, a couple of which might work, but it would be good to hear from others. Also, does anyone have portable steel/targets? I've got a couple PVC target stands we can use. Post your thoughts!
View Quote

I don't have west slope property.  I generally just use 2x2 wood stands and affix cardboard targets to them.  depending on timing, I might have time to build some mild steel bases that the 2x2 wood would slide into.  

What shooting situations would be envisioned?  Firing line, dynamic shooting courses of fire?

I work full time and in grad school full time, so later May would be better for me.
Link Posted: 2/10/2015 1:54:28 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

I don't have west slope property.  I generally just use 2x2 wood stands and affix cardboard targets to them.  depending on timing, I might have time to build some mild steel bases that the 2x2 wood would slide into.  

What shooting situations would be envisioned?  Firing line, dynamic shooting courses of fire?

I work full time and in grad school full time, so later May would be better for me.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm thinking more along the lines of a firing line. That could change I suppose depending on who shows up and shooting capability/safety competence. Sets some targets out at different distances, maybe do some stationary timed stuff. We tested some bullet resistant glass last time, but I don't have anymore.
Link Posted: 2/10/2015 2:57:12 PM EDT
[#6]
Like I mentioned in my other thread, I'm new to the area.  Can't offer much in the way of planning, but I'll be there!  Looking forward to a good ol' fashioned shoot-em-up meet-n-greet!
Link Posted: 2/10/2015 3:26:53 PM EDT
[#7]
I'm game.  Prefer to do it earlier in April, as in prior to spring turkey season.  

At this rate the weather should be tropical by then.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 2/10/2015 10:10:07 PM EDT
[#8]
Im down.
Link Posted: 2/10/2015 10:24:16 PM EDT
[#9]
There is a ton of BLM between Delta and Junky, we should be able to find something that would work.  GJ BLM range is always an option, but the derp gets pretty strong there once you're past the wee hours of the morning.  After that there are just too many idiots muzzle sweeping the line for my liking.

There's also plenty of places north of GJ/Fruita out in the desert, it would just be a drive for all the folk from Montrose area.

Link Posted: 2/10/2015 10:47:41 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
There is a ton of BLM between Delta and Junky, we should be able to find something that would work.  GJ BLM range is always an option, but the derp gets pretty strong there once you're past the wee hours of the morning.  After that there are just too many idiots muzzle sweeping the line for my liking.

There's also plenty of places north of GJ/Fruita out in the desert, it would just be a drive for all the folk from Montrose area.

View Quote

There will likely be more junction folk than montrose. I'll ask done friends about areas in delta and try to do a little scouting.
Link Posted: 2/10/2015 10:50:56 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

There will likely be more junction folk than montrose. I'll ask done friends about areas in delta and try to do a little scouting.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

If I'm able I can tag along. Also if we are thinking late March early april, I'm off on the weekend of the 27th through the 29th of march. I'm also off April 10th through the 12th
Link Posted: 2/10/2015 11:02:22 PM EDT
[#12]
March 28 or 29 works well here.  
Link Posted: 2/11/2015 1:12:44 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote

I'd prefer April 11th or 12th. That last weekend in March is the last weekend of guided riding at Silverton, and then I'll likely need to celebrate mine and my gf's birthday since I'll be at Cola Warrior West the weekend before. March is a busy month...
Link Posted: 2/11/2015 1:46:37 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

I'd prefer April 11th or 12th. That last weekend in March is the last weekend of guided riding at Silverton, and then I'll likely need to celebrate mine and my gf's birthday since I'll be at Cola Warrior West the weekend before. March is a busy month...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

And guys, don't feel obligated to plan around me. I might be able to take a vacation day if we get the date nailed down early enough
Link Posted: 2/11/2015 2:38:01 AM EDT
[#15]
If we can do it before May I am in for sure! Ill have two SBR's by then
Link Posted: 2/11/2015 9:29:54 AM EDT
[#16]
I'll see if we can get a sitter lined out for the 11/12 weekend.

Link Posted: 2/11/2015 1:11:18 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

We did a Buena Vista trip the summer before last and it didn't happen for this past summer. We'll have to do that again. We did some vehicle exploring, I'd be game for hiking one day of the days.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

At Tarryall this year, the wife and I are gonna summit Bison Peak nearby.  Then for BV this year (which I want to set up again) we want to try Harvard.

Also, I'm down to come west for a spring shoot.
Link Posted: 2/11/2015 1:17:51 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

At Tarryall this year, the wife and I are gonna summit Bison Peak nearby.  Then for BV this year (which I want to set up again) we want to try Harvard.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Which route? They are all class 2's so they shouldn't be bad, but the shortest is 11.5 miles...

ETA: I vote for shortest
Link Posted: 2/11/2015 1:18:33 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Which route? They are all class 2's so they shouldn't be bad, but the shortest is 11.5 miles...

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Don't be a little girl, that's not that far.
Link Posted: 2/11/2015 2:08:40 PM EDT
[#20]
All the Collegiate peaks can be done Class 2 and are easy.  Some are longer than others.  As far as the best workout/leg burn effect goes, Belford and Oxford (add Missouri to that hike, too for extra-extra burn) are good.  You hit steep switchbacks almost immediately upon leaving the parking lot.  Columbia and Harvard in a push is also good.  My favorite is La Plata from the S so far (haven't done it from the N).  Wait, we were talking about popping caps, right?
Link Posted: 2/12/2015 10:35:45 AM EDT
[#21]
I'm in depending on the date....I've got a steel target I can bring. Plenty of places to go north of GJ/Fruita
Link Posted: 2/12/2015 6:06:12 PM EDT
[#22]
So when we doing this?!
Link Posted: 2/15/2015 10:10:03 AM EDT
[#23]
I'm penciling this into my calendar for Saturday April 11.  Location TBD.  

I'll recon a few spots north of Fruitopia in the desert in case we don't find anywhere in between GJ and Delta that works.

If the 11th doesn't work, please post up an alternative.  We need to line out schedules and a sitter for the kiddos, so the farther out we can plan the better.  

Link Posted: 2/15/2015 9:20:30 PM EDT
[#24]
11th works here
Link Posted: 2/15/2015 9:28:49 PM EDT
[#25]
I'm out for the 11th, I'll be out of state.  Have fun!
Link Posted: 2/15/2015 10:49:56 PM EDT
[#26]
I don't get out too far since moving here.....how long of a drive is the general area from castle rock....I know the exact location hasn't been decided yet but it sounds like the general area has been determined.
Link Posted: 2/15/2015 11:34:47 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
I don't get out too far since moving here.....how long of a drive is the general area from castle rock....I know the exact location hasn't been decided yet but it sounds like the general area has been determined.
View Quote

Depends on how you drive

I'd say 4 hours or so
Link Posted: 2/15/2015 11:54:19 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Depends on how you drive

I'd say 4 hours or so
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Depends on how you drive

I'd say 4 hours or so

5.5 since you'll stop in Rifle to eat breakfast @ Shooters Grill. The spouse and i would like to attend but need it to be fairly flat / handicap accessible. We have a decent amount of 500 steel plate.
Link Posted: 2/16/2015 12:38:54 AM EDT
[#29]
The 11th it is! I'll update the op and get to scouting for a spot in the next couple weeks.

Jim, I'm sure we can find a place that is pretty flat.
Link Posted: 2/16/2015 1:38:35 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

The 11th it is! I'll update the op and get to scouting for a spot in the next couple weeks.

Jim, I'm sure we can find a place that is pretty flat.
View Quote
Tim I talked to John and he is more than willing to share his place again. Things have freed up a lot more for him so it's an option if nothing else.

Link Posted: 2/17/2015 9:22:53 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Depends on how you drive

I'd say 4 hours or so
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Depends on how you drive

I'd say 4 hours or so

Thanks!
Link Posted: 2/17/2015 8:29:56 PM EDT
[#32]
I'm trying to buy as much 9MM as I can as hopefully by then Ill have a new SBR that needs breaking in
Link Posted: 2/17/2015 10:07:22 PM EDT
[#33]
Freedom munitions has a ton of 9mm in stock at a good price. Need to weigh my brass for an exchange. Mad I have someone 2000+ 9mm casings in the fall.
Link Posted: 2/17/2015 10:52:44 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Freedom munitions has a ton of 9mm in stock at a good price. Need to weigh my brass for an exchange. Mad I have someone 2000+ 9mm casings in the fall.
View Quote
Good stuff?

Link Posted: 2/18/2015 12:52:20 AM EDT
[#35]
Lots of people here buy from then. I'll know soon enough.
Link Posted: 2/19/2015 10:06:44 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
View Quote

I have plans to be at the NRA annual meeting . No news yet and I am far from a shoe in, but I am making the plans.

Link Posted: 2/19/2015 10:43:04 PM EDT
[#37]
Will this event be dog friendly?  I'm planning on going unless the passes are in blizzard mode.
Link Posted: 2/20/2015 1:48:40 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Will this event be dog friendly?  I'm planning on going unless the passes are in blizzard mode.
View Quote

As long as your dog is okay with gun shots, and doesn't present a danger on the range, I've got no problem with it. My dog is starting to get nervous around loud noises...
Link Posted: 2/20/2015 3:41:50 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:
I have plans to be at the NRA annual meeting . No news yet and I am far from a shoe in, but I am making the plans.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

One of these days we will get you to one of these shoots

Link Posted: 2/20/2015 3:45:43 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
View Quote

I brought my dog last time and there were no issues
Link Posted: 2/20/2015 3:54:06 AM EDT
[#41]
I put in for the date off so shouldn't be an issue.  I gotta scrounge some ammo for a few of my guns but the plan is to bring the Uzi, the M92 Krink SBR and my FAL.

OH if someone will bring a 12 gauge I got a couple boxes of ammo we didn't get a chance to use since the last shoot had to be cancelled.
Link Posted: 2/20/2015 8:56:42 AM EDT
[#42]
I'll bring an 870. Nothing nearly as nice as the arfcom 12ga floating around last shoot, but it's a bona-fide turkey killing machine.

Link Posted: 2/20/2015 12:15:52 PM EDT
[#43]
I'll be in Junction tomorrow if anyone wants to explore some BLM for the shoot.

ETA: Looks like I am going up this afternoon now instead.
Link Posted: 2/20/2015 4:21:27 PM EDT
[#44]
damn...just saw this.  PM me next time you come up.
Link Posted: 2/20/2015 4:32:08 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
damn...just saw this.  PM me next time you come up.
View Quote

Just PM'd you. I'll be getting up there around 4.
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 7:35:24 PM EDT
[#46]
We get a location nailed down yet?
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 1:04:16 PM EDT
[#47]
Not yet. Hoping to get up to Junction/Fruita this weekend to do some biking and location scouting. At this point, my biggest fear with public land is someone else being there when we show up on the 11th.
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 3:35:36 PM EDT
[#48]
Ill bring my AR so now I can be cool. Ill probably bring a bolt and a lever as well...
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 5:31:10 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Not yet. Hoping to get up to Junction/Fruita this weekend to do some biking and location scouting. At this point, my biggest fear with public land is someone else being there when we show up on the 11th.
View Quote

Yeah private would certainly be preferable
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 5:35:03 AM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Yup.

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top