Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/18/2015 9:32:41 PM EDT
I'm on orders for the Colorado Springs area around fall time frame. I'm sure I'll have loads of questions over the next couple of months so I thought I'd start here. For starters what can I take and what isn't welcome? I'll have a suppressor and at least one SBR by that time; can they make the trek into CO? I heard there is a mag ban in play; what are the details pertaining to that (rifles, pistols, everything)? What about CCW/ carry laws?

Where are decent/nice places to live? (Meaning safe, convenient to Fort Carson, and not a BAH rape like most posts)

More to follow as I think of other stuff...
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 9:44:30 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I'm on orders for the Colorado Springs area around fall time frame. I'm sure I'll have loads of questions over the next couple of months so I thought I'd start here. For starters what can I take and what isn't welcome? I'll have a suppressor and at least one SBR by that time; can they make the trek into CO? I heard there is a mag ban in play; what are the details pertaining to that (rifles, pistols, everything)? What about CCW/ carry laws?

Where are decent/nice places to live? (Meaning safe, convenient to Fort Carson, and not a BAH rape like most posts)

View Quote

Everything is welcome. Don't sweat the mag ban. Bring yours, you just won't be able to buy more over 10 rds here. CCW took me 45 days and is a simple process if military. Most mil tend to live up North- Briargate, Peyton,Falcon areas. Good schools if you have kids.

Roads are rough on cars. They throw rocks (gravel or something) down when it snows. Expect broken windshields once a winter. Get a clear bra if your car is nice. Hail in the Summer. Sunshine all the time. Snow never seems to last long.

All in all, nice place to live. Cost of living is reasonable.

Link Posted: 1/18/2015 11:02:40 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Everything is welcome. Don't sweat the mag ban. Bring yours, you just won't be able to buy more over 10 15 rds here. CCW took me 45 days and is a simple process if military. Most mil tend to live up North- Briargate, Peyton,Falcon areas. Good schools if you have kids.

Roads are rough on cars. They throw rocks (gravel or something) down when it snows. Expect broken windshields once a winter. Get a clear bra if your car is nice. Hail in the Summer. Sunshine all the time. Snow never seems to last long.

All in all, nice place to live. Cost of living is reasonable a little high if you're not from NY or Kali.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Everything is welcome. Don't sweat the mag ban. Bring yours, you just won't be able to buy more over 10 15 rds here. CCW took me 45 days and is a simple process if military. Most mil tend to live up North- Briargate, Peyton,Falcon areas. Good schools if you have kids.

All in all, nice place to live. Cost of living is reasonable a little high if you're not from NY or Kali.

Fixed, but mostly correct.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 11:28:49 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

See, you're right. I came from California.

You could prob tell cause I put 10 rds not 15. Old habits and all that.....
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 11:42:01 PM EDT
[#4]
Right on, thanks for the quick follow up. I'm excited to get out there. Gotta get the heater fixed on the Jeep before a CO winter I suppose. Good motivation I guess now that I'll be in the mountains.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 12:16:49 AM EDT
[#5]
Learn how to ski/snowboard if you don't already. Bring whatever mags you have nobody cares.

Do you drink? If not you should start it's a sport here.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 12:24:41 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View Quote

You sound like one of the good ones, so welcome.  Remember, you don't have to always vote R, you just can't vote D.  

Link Posted: 1/19/2015 12:26:00 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Learn how to ski/snowboard if you don't already. Bring whatever mags you have nobody cares.

View Quote

I used to have going to all of the breweries in this state on my bucket list.  It ain't happening and not for lack of trying.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 12:29:39 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

You sound like one of the good ones, so welcome.  Remember, you don't have to always vote R, you just can't vote D.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Don't worry, I grew up in Missouri. I'll die before I ever vote for a Democrat.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 2:05:03 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote

Yeah, you gotta be good at it to keep up with us lot.

I'm really good at drinking.

Also, bring all your NFA stuff.  Because NFA is the tits and it's legal here.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 4:42:39 PM EDT
[#10]
I have no clue how to ski or board, but I'm pretty good at drinking...
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 11:44:05 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I have no clue how to ski or board, but I'm pretty good at drinking...
View Quote

Oh, you're going to like it here, then.  There are lots of microbreweries here for you to practice.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 11:45:27 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

I used to have going to all of the breweries in this state on my bucket list.  It ain't happening and not for lack of trying.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

If you haven't tried Four Noses out our way yet, you oughta.  Damn fine stuff.
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 2:33:37 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

And then you'll be voting Dem for the rest of all time.
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 3:17:07 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks, Lothbro (k omitted intentionally ) and I agree. I own one of their beer can looking glasses and they let me bring the hounds.    Wonderland isn't bad, either if you haven't tried it (by the Kohl's at 120th and Sheridan, one of the bartenderettes there used to work at the CM, too).   I don't remember if you've been to Big Choice yet.  That may be my bad for not continuing to hound you about it.
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 10:47:44 PM EDT
[#15]
Lets see...

People don't use turn signals out here, drive like d-bags, alot of self-absorbed d-bags in the front-range area, and all in all C-springs is a mix of white-trash and christian fundies.
Link Posted: 1/21/2015 1:48:26 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Thanks, Lothbro (k omitted intentionally ) and I agree. I own one of their beer can looking glasses and they let me bring the hounds.    Wonderland isn't bad, either if you haven't tried it (by the Kohl's at 120th and Sheridan, one of the bartenderettes there used to work at the CM, too).   I don't remember if you've been to Big Choice yet.  That may be my bad for not continuing to hound you about it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

We usually hit either Four Noses or Wonderland on Friday for Happy Hour.

I have not yet been to Big Choice.
Link Posted: 1/21/2015 11:25:02 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Lets see...

People don't use turn signals out here, drive like d-bags, alot of self-absorbed d-bags in the front-range area, and all in all C-springs is a mix of white-trash and christian fundies.
View Quote

Pretty much.  We've got busy-body control freaks on both sides of the aisle (mostly on the D side lately).  Yeah, the drivers here suck worse than they did in Atlanta 14 yrs. ago.  I'm ready to work from home.  We've reached critical dumb mass.
Link Posted: 1/21/2015 11:27:34 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View Quote

I like the BC sodas the best, but everyone has different tastes.  Anyway, surprised I haven't seen you and your better half at Wonderland on Fridays.  You didn't shave did you?  I wouldn't recognize you if you did.
Link Posted: 1/21/2015 12:21:13 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

I like the BC sodas the best, but everyone has different tastes.  Anyway, surprised I haven't seen you and your better half at Wonderland on Fridays.  You didn't shave did you?  I wouldn't recognize you if you did.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Oh hell no, the beard is where I get my power!
Link Posted: 1/21/2015 1:10:04 PM EDT
[#20]
Technically, mags over 15 rounds are illegal if you didn't possess them by 7-1-13. That's pretty much gone unenforced. There are repeal bills in the Assembly, but nobody expects our assclown masquerading as a governor to do the right thing. (Never mind the honorable thing, which for him would probably involve a nice quiet room, a shot of whisky, and a wakizashi.)

NFA is perfectly legal as long as you've made BATFE happy. El Paso County is pretty CCW-friendly. In theory, the entire state is shall-issue, but some counties put up more roadblocks than others (I'm looking right at you, Dougie Darr) (Don't worry - if you live near the Springs he's completely irrelevant to you).

Along with having a crapton of microbreweries (including a few that actually can put GOOD beer into cans!) Colorado has a few craft distilleries and a few medium-high-end bourbons made here.

It's state law that everybody in Colorado needs to either flyfish or snowboard.

Our roads can be rough on cars. It's just what happens when CDOT has to throw sand because it's too cold for salt or mag chloride to do any good, and what happens when it gets that cold. But at least studded snow tires are legal year-round...oh, hell, if you're from MI I'm not telling you anything new.
Link Posted: 1/22/2015 11:48:59 PM EDT
[#21]
CO is awesome.  Now get out here and register to vote, now.
Link Posted: 1/23/2015 8:03:19 PM EDT
[#22]
I'm definitely looking forward to getting out there this fall. Been trying to get there for 9 years now. I can def learn fly fishing and if nothing else I'll bum around the lodges whisky people board and I can drink and bullshit. I've seen my fair share of crappy drivers all around the states so far. Detroit gets the win in my book for retarded asshats with wheels.
Link Posted: 1/29/2015 11:16:37 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View Quote

I have broken maybe 1 windshield in 12 years...

State is awesome if you like the outdoors. Hiking, rafting, climbing, skiing, snowboarding, snowshoeing, mountain biking, etc.  We live on average a more "active" lifestyle and depending where you live you won't look like a freak if you are going for a jog outside. Winters can be mild but have streaks of miserable weather. It got up to nearly 70 degrees a couple days ago and we had a streak of 50-60 degree days, we also had a streak of days where it didn't get above 0.

"Going to the mountains" is a time-honored ritual. Finding a place to safely and legally shoot is becoming harder and harder. Colorado Springs has a ton of stuff to do, and Denver is just over 1 hour away. My recommendation for housing is get away from the base area. You can go straight north or north/east. Avoid the area directly West of the airport. Check out this crime map to give you a start. Mainly avoiding Academy after dark, Fountain, or Circle keeps you in the clear.

http://spotcrime.com/co/colorado+springs
Link Posted: 1/29/2015 4:09:24 PM EDT
[#24]
And since I saw you said Jeep.... hopefully it isnt the latest "made-in-china" monstrosities. We have tons of Jeep outings here (I have a 12 wrangler).
Link Posted: 1/29/2015 10:10:12 PM EDT
[#25]
Thanks for the info gents. And I don't think that my '03 Wrangler qualifies as made in China... It's only got 31's now but it could use a small lift someday after the heater core is replaced. Also I love being outside, so I can't wait to get there!
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 2:01:40 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Thanks for the info gents. And I don't think that my '03 Wrangler qualifies as made in China... It's only got 31's now but it could use a small lift someday after the heater core is replaced. Also I love being outside, so I can't wait to get there!
View Quote

You never receive my IM ???
Link Posted: 2/4/2015 9:31:35 PM EDT
[#27]
Nope
Link Posted: 2/5/2015 12:46:43 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Nope
View Quote

Check it again.
Link Posted: 2/10/2015 11:13:51 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
Pretty much.  We've got busy-body control freaks on both sides of the aisle (mostly on the D side lately).  Yeah, the drivers here suck worse than they did in Atlanta 14 yrs. ago.  I'm ready to work from home.  We've reached critical dumb mass.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Lets see...

+1  
As someone who has also lived both places, I can attest to this.  Also, I'd like to add that not ALL bad drivers drive Subarus, but ALL Subaru drivers drive badly.  Seems like every time someone's tailgating me or doing some dumba$$ "maneuver" there's that notorious starry hood emblem.  
Lastly, don't feed the panhandlers.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top