Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/8/2015 2:06:05 PM EDT
Is it illegal to have a visible gun in your car in Denver?
Fake gun leads to discovery...

Link Posted: 1/8/2015 4:49:48 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 1/8/2015 6:19:50 PM EDT
[#2]
No.  But it's not necessarily smart either.   Ditto spyderboy.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 1/9/2015 12:38:00 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
No.  But it's not necessarily smart either.   Ditto spyderboy.
View Quote

+1
Link Posted: 1/9/2015 1:36:27 AM EDT
[#4]
While I'm all happy with drug guy getting caught, I'm not happy with the legal presence of a gun in a car resulting in a car being searched.

I'm surprised you're all ok with the prospect of being searched because the police notice the gun you have in your car. The fact that this one turned out to be fake is besides the point.

Link Posted: 1/9/2015 8:03:53 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 1/9/2015 8:31:33 AM EDT
[#6]
Never said I was ok with the search, assuming the only pc for a search was presence of the fake gun.  Op asked if it was illegal, and the answer is no. .

Quoted:
While I'm all happy with drug guy getting caught, I'm not happy with the legal presence of a gun in a car resulting in a car being searched.

I'm surprised you're all ok with the prospect of being searched because the police notice the gun you have in your car. The fact that this one turned out to be fake is besides the point.

View Quote
Link Posted: 1/9/2015 9:56:43 AM EDT
[#7]
I carry my XDm in a holster under my steering wheel in my Jeep when I go up in the mountains. In the summer when the doors and top are off its pretty visible from the side. I dont have it sliding around on my dashboard and I think anyone that gets positioned into a search by having one exposed is one of 2 people... Someone doing something wrong... or second being someone who need to sue the department for illegal search and profiling. Dont sue for money... sue for principal. Its a slippery slope and once the departments start sliding down that hill... we lose a lot of our freedoms.

I also store a laminated copy of the Colorado law statute stating it is completely legal to carry a loaded and chambered handgun in the vehicle. Should I get pulled over for some reason, I give full disclosure to the LEO about the weapon, its state and my vehicle is turned off, keys on the dash and hands on the outside fully visible. There is no reason the folks who do put their lives on the lines should need to feel nervous if I can help it in any way.
Link Posted: 1/9/2015 1:28:10 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View Quote

meant that the story is messed up and that isn't reason to search a vehicle...
Link Posted: 1/9/2015 2:33:30 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Oops, sorry.

Link Posted: 1/9/2015 5:26:02 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Oops, sorry.
View Quote

It's all good. I should have quoted the link or used my words.
Link Posted: 1/11/2015 6:33:31 PM EDT
[#11]
One of the commenters said it was against the law in Denver.  I was going to post a response asking him to quote the law, but you need a facebook account I guess.
Link Posted: 1/13/2015 9:49:54 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
One of the commenters said it was against the law in Denver.  I was going to post a response asking him to quote the law, but you need a facebook account I guess.
View Quote

IF you're a Denver city & county resident.
Link Posted: 1/25/2015 11:57:26 AM EDT
[#13]
What's all the flack about open carry? Is it that you worry about it being stolen if you step away for a min? Open carry in vehicles in very common where I live. I do it all the time. But hey we have no crime here. Obviously I wouldn't leave it parked in the open for longer than a few mins. Comes very in handy for coyotes and varmints. The one time you don't carry it is when you come across skunks on the roadside and broadside coyotes lol.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top