Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/20/2014 4:01:52 PM EDT
Looking for someone who may have some insight into banking and bankruptcy laws.

By now I am sure everyone knows that US Cav filed for bankruptcy last year, and that they were bought by another company...

So in January of 2013 I ordered a Trijicon SRS and a Eberlestock X4, mainly because I think they had sent me a 20+% discount code. Fast forward a bit, I find out the filed chapter 11. Fast forward a bit more, ok a lot, in August I received the X4. Fast forward a bit more, in October I received the SRS. Now, 3 weeks ago I get a call from a lady saying that I had a past due account. Quite baffled I looked at my bank account and verified that the money was taken out of my account in January 2013. The lady says thank you and says she will look at it on their end. A week or so later, I get a call from another lady and she says that the payment was made to the "bankrupt" US Cavalry, and that she was part of the company that purchased them. And that they did not realize that I had already paid for my items and shipped them out on "good faith" that I would pay for them. When I stated that I had already paid for them, she said that I had paid the old company, and that I still owed the new company. And that the money that I had already paid was my responsibility to call the attorney handling the bankruptcy to attempt to get my money back from them.

I am not trying to stiff anyone, but I am feeling like I am getting stiffed...

Anyone have some insight or an idea of who I can contact about what should be done?

Thanks
Link Posted: 11/20/2014 4:04:57 PM EDT
[#1]
First stop would be my credit card company to explain the situation.  They ideally shouldn't have billed you in the first place for a backordered item which may be why you may not have a leg on stand on in that regard but it's worth a try.
Link Posted: 11/20/2014 4:14:52 PM EDT
[#2]
Well it was my check card, and I talked with the bank...

I thought about trying to file a fraudulent charge, but it was almost 2 years ago now.
Link Posted: 11/20/2014 4:47:14 PM EDT
[#3]
Im not attorney but the first thing id do is ask them to send you a copy of the bill in writing.
Link Posted: 11/20/2014 6:09:12 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Im not attorney but the first thing id do is ask them to send you a copy of the bill in writing.
View Quote

This . Who cares how long ago it was. The billing issue is between old & new company. You paid for items that were received later than promised.
Link Posted: 11/21/2014 12:00:56 AM EDT
[#5]
Sounds like it is their problem not yours.
Link Posted: 11/21/2014 12:23:25 AM EDT
[#6]
This is a very strange story.  They only knew you wanted the product because you had ordered and paid for it.  So they are now claiming that they expected you to telepathically realize that they didn't have to ship product you'd paid to the pre BK company and so realize you had to pay for it twice?

That's a very strange story.  Stranger still because a Chapter 11 bankruptcy may or may not actually result in a "new" successor company.  

I would tell them to pound sand and if they pursue it further, find an attorney.
Link Posted: 11/21/2014 12:41:13 AM EDT
[#7]
I think they are trying to collect twice. Who, in todays day and age, sends something like that on "good faith" that you will pay for it. Heck, the bank won't even lend me a pen. If they bought the company then most likely they also bought their stock, debit and books.
When Hollywood video went belly up, after about a year I had some company harassing me about some overdue fees, not our fault. Federal bankruptcy laws wipe out all debit. They bought some of their debit and were fraudulently trying to collect on a old debit. I told them if they contacted me again that I would contact a lawyer. I never heard from them again.
That's just my take on it. I may have gotten some of the facts mixed up but at the time I knew what I was taking about, lol, but you get the idea.
Link Posted: 11/21/2014 12:38:21 PM EDT
[#8]
Yeah, it doesn't sound right to me either. That is why I was asking for some advise

Here is the latest email I got from them:

Although it may not sound right to the consumer, that is exactly what happens when a Company goes into Bankruptcy. The Purchaser only purchases the assets not the liabilities and the liabilities go through the Bankruptcy Court. You have unfortunately become a creditor to the Bankruptcy (as I have sent you the attorney information for the creditors). The money used to purchase the assets has gone into a trust to be used to pay back what debts it will cover to the creditors.

The Company assets were purchased on 7/23/2013 and anything shipped after that date was paid for by the new owners. So both shipments came from our Company. We will be seeking compensation for the balance due and I am sorry that we have to do this but we cannot let this go for one customer and not others who were in the same situation.

I have been given instructions that we will be turning over any amounts not collected to a collection agency. I am not sure when we will be doing this but I am sure it will be before the end of the year.

I understand your dilemma but we  did not get the money that the Previous Owners collected from you nor was it taken into consideration when the Assets were purchased. We do have a right to collect for the product we shipped. I will wait to hear from you before submitting our claim for your balance.
View Quote
Link Posted: 11/21/2014 1:41:04 PM EDT
[#9]
Them shipping the items without contacting you and explaining is stupid. That's their own fault for sending them to you "without receiving payment."
Link Posted: 11/21/2014 4:37:31 PM EDT
[#10]
Not a lawyer, but it is my understanding that if a company sends you something you did not order it is yours to keep free and clear. If you want to return the item(s) out of the goodness of your heart, then that is for you to decide.

If you ordered from a company that no longer exists due to bankruptcy, then that order was null and void when the BK was finalized. You would then have the option to go after the assets of the old company to recover what you could if you prepaid. Since the new company claims they didn't purchase the liabilities of the old company they apparently weren't obligated to send the old order to you. If they mistakenly sent you items you ordered from the old company, then that isn't your problem. Regardless they don't sound like anyone I would want to do business with.
Link Posted: 11/22/2014 12:20:44 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Yeah, it doesn't sound right to me either. That is why I was asking for some advise adviCe

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Yeah, it doesn't sound right to me either. That is why I was asking for some advise adviCe

Although it may not sound right to the consumer, that is exactly what happens when a Company goes into Bankruptcy. The Purchaser only purchases the assets not the liabilities and the liabilities go through the Bankruptcy Court. You have unfortunately become a creditor to the Bankruptcy (as I have sent you the attorney information for the creditors). The money used to purchase the assets has gone into a trust to be used to pay back what debts it will cover to the creditors.

The Company assets were purchased on 7/23/2013 and anything shipped after that date was paid for by the new owners. So both shipments came from our Company. We will be seeking compensation for the balance due and I am sorry that we have to do this but we cannot let this go for one customer and not others who were in the same situation.

I have been given instructions that we will be turning over any amounts not collected to a collection agency. I am not sure when we will be doing this but I am sure it will be before the end of the year.

I understand your dilemma but we  did not get the money that the Previous Owners collected from you nor was it taken into consideration when the Assets were purchased. We do have a right to collect for the product we shipped. I will wait to hear from you before submitting our claim for your balance.

Since you asked for advice i would advise you to ignore them. AFTER contacting your bank / card company.

This e-m reads like any other scam.

Most Kindest IoN6 pleasurable greetings from the company you owe a grand sum of $250.  However should you accept this modest sum of $250 send to us immediately we would be graciously no longer sending to to a collection agency of our choice.
Link Posted: 11/22/2014 12:34:08 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Yeah, it doesn't sound right to me either. That is why I was asking for some advise

View All Quotes
Quoted:

If they didn't take over the previous company's liabilities, only assets, (as they stated) then why did they feel liable to send you the products you purchased (but had not received) from the previous company? What a bunch of bullshit.
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 2:31:27 PM EDT
[#13]
If a collection agency does contact you, contact me or another attorney. We'll pursue them for the FDCPA violation.
Link Posted: 11/24/2014 5:24:31 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
If a collection agency does contact you, contact me or another attorney. We'll pursue them for the FDCPA violation.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Thank you sir!

I sent them this a few days ago, and have yet to hear back from them (no offense about the legalese part, it just makes my head hurt to read).

I would like an explanation in writing of why it has taken 13+ months for this to become an issue and why your accounting department did not catch this issue back in July of 2013, nearly 16 months ago to the day.

I would also like a copy of bill, with detailed items that I am expected to pay for.

And lastly, I would like an explanation in writing why the first item was shipped from US CAVALRY and not the new "holding" company like the second item.

All of these requests should be in PLAIN English, not lawyer jargon or legalese.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top