Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/14/2014 6:15:08 PM EDT
I've searched and can't find any laymen explanation, I don't live in CO, if I were to move there how does the law affect my wife and her 30 round mags? I'm in the military and would be moving due to the military, again how does it affect me as a service member? What is the definition of being grandfathered under this law?

Thanks all google would show me is links to biased parties ranting over one side or the other about the law but didn't find anything explaining it simply.
Link Posted: 10/14/2014 6:24:36 PM EDT
[#1]
So long as you owned them before July 1, 2013 is all the law says.
Link Posted: 10/14/2014 7:03:12 PM EDT
[#2]
Shouldn't affect you one bit.

It certainly hasn't affected me in the slightest.
Link Posted: 10/14/2014 7:37:58 PM EDT
[#3]
Doesn't affect military or LE
Link Posted: 10/14/2014 9:29:11 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I've searched and can't find any laymen explanation, I don't live in CO, if I were to move there how does the law affect my wife and her 30 round mags? I'm in the military and would be moving due to the military, again how does it affect me as a service member? What is the definition of being grandfathered under this law?

Thanks all google would show me is links to biased parties ranting over one side or the other about the law but didn't find anything explaining it simply.
View Quote

Outside of  replies here, we have 4-5 other members from out of state ask the same thing. No One Cares. Now driving from CO to another state with weed, you might have some problems.
Other than that, enjoy the scenery and your +15 round magazines.
Link Posted: 10/14/2014 10:54:19 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

That is an over-generalization.  The exception reads:

(b) AN EMPLOYEE OF ANY OF THE FOLLOWING AGENCIES WHO BEARS
A FIREARM IN THE COURSE OF HIS OR HER OFFICIAL DUTIES:
(I) A BRANCH OF THE ARMED FORCES OF THE UNITED STATES; OR
(II) A DEPARTMENT, AGENCY, OR POLITICAL SUBDIVISION OF THE
STATE OF COLORADO, OR OF ANY OTHER STATE, OR OF THE UNITED STATES
GOVERNMENT;

Link Posted: 10/14/2014 10:56:40 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

GOVERNMENT;

The law by its explicit language requires that you have possessed the >15 round magazines prior to July 1, 2013. It does not require that that possession have been within the state of Colorado. The burden of proof is on the prosecution to establish that the magazine was not possessed before that date.

Personally, I'd go through the magazines and dispose of any that had any form of manuf date stamped on them that was post June 2013.  Just to be cautious.
Link Posted: 10/15/2014 5:39:00 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 10/16/2014 11:19:07 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

The law by its explicit language requires that you have possessed the >15 round magazines prior to July 1, 2013. It does not require that that possession have been within the state of Colorado. The burden of proof is on the prosecution to establish that the magazine was not possessed before that date.

Personally, I'd go through the magazines and dont take to the range any that had any form of manuf date stamped on them that was post June 2013.  Just to be cautious.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

GOVERNMENT;

Personally, I'd go through the magazines and dont take to the range any that had any form of manuf date stamped on them that was post June 2013.  Just to be cautious.

FIFY
Link Posted: 10/16/2014 1:47:47 PM EDT
[#9]
No, if I was an out of stater and still had access to magazines of > 15 round limits that did not have manuf dates post June 2013, I'd discard all post June '13 in my possession before moving to Colorado.
Link Posted: 10/16/2014 3:25:47 PM EDT
[#10]
Has there been a single reported instance of anyone being charged under the law?

OP, I wouldn't sweat it, I can't speak for any other areas, but the majority of agencies are not enforcing these laws
Link Posted: 10/16/2014 3:41:01 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 10/16/2014 5:19:48 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Not yet, but that is not a defense
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Has there been a single reported instance of anyone being charged under the law?

OP, I wouldn't sweat it, I can't speak for any other areas, but the majority of agencies are not enforcing these laws

Not yet, but that is not a defense

Just giving my opinion from an LE standpoint
Link Posted: 10/16/2014 5:42:09 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
No, if I was an out of stater and still had access to magazines of > 15 round limits that did not have manuf dates post June 2013, I'd discard all post June '13 in my possession before moving to Colorado.
View Quote

Unfortunately there's a (small) mentality that says. "I'LL JUST GRIND ANY NUMBERS OFF MY MAGS" They will disagree (argue) with you till the thread gets locked or warnings go out.
Link Posted: 10/17/2014 12:14:02 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote

Nope, not a single reported instance.

But that's not a good reason not to take certain actions before moving here to reduce the risk, should that change and some DA decide to make a name for himself.
Link Posted: 10/17/2014 12:15:48 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Unfortunately there's a (small) mentality that says. "I'LL JUST GRIND ANY NUMBERS OFF MY MAGS" They will disagree (argue) with you till the thread gets locked or warnings go out.
View Quote

Those that wish to do that are certainly welcome to do that, at their own risk.  I don't care what they choose to do, I'm not trying to convince them to do anything at all.

But when someone asks for advice on the law, and how it might affect them, its not good advice to tell them to ignore it.
Link Posted: 10/17/2014 4:30:55 AM EDT
[#16]
Thanks, surprised it was that simple, I've never heard of mil not maintaining their magazines from work, so that mil/leclause really doesn't change anything.
Link Posted: 10/17/2014 6:41:28 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 10/17/2014 1:06:12 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Shouldn't affect you one bit.

It certainly hasn't affected me in the slightest.
View Quote

Link Posted: 10/17/2014 1:07:40 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View Quote

I will ask someone that has access to the data but I don't think a single ARREST much less charge has been filed under either mag or ubc
Link Posted: 10/17/2014 2:03:54 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Personally, I'd go through the magazines and dispose of any that had any form of manuf date stamped on them that was post June 2013.  Just to be cautious.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

GOVERNMENT;

I would never dispose of a perfectly good magazine to cater to this law. Ever.
Link Posted: 10/17/2014 5:49:32 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

GOVERNMENT;

I'm right there with you
Link Posted: 10/17/2014 5:50:16 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

I will ask someone that has access to the data but I don't think a single ARREST much less charge has been filed under either mag or ubc
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

We would know, Hickendildo would be parading about it
Link Posted: 10/17/2014 9:43:48 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

If not hick That grass smoking roots .org would plaster it across the universe.
Link Posted: 10/19/2014 5:36:18 PM EDT
[#24]
if it bothers you then don't travel here with them.  As for us folks in state no one cares, hell there are still shops in the Denver area selling 30 rd AR mags.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 12:46:57 AM EDT
[#25]
What is the/your main concern? If you're doing something dumb, you can always be held accountable for your ignorance/actions. Doubtful that anyone will check or care as long as you are demonstrating respect and responsibility.  Actions equal consequences for the most part of how they affect you.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 3:44:24 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

there was the cop stealing guns from the evidence lockup and selling them who was charged for it.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 7:30:17 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

there was the cop stealing guns from the evidence lockup and selling them who was charged for it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I would have charged him with everything possible.

ETA: wait, is this the New York case? Do you have a link to anything?
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 9:48:29 AM EDT
[#28]
I suspect on e Beauprez gets elected here we'll see at the very least the magazine law go away. Then we can all pretend this never happened.
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 11:40:09 AM EDT
[#29]
I know of one case like that, but it was in Montrose in 1998.

If there's been anything in Colorado since 7-1-13 this will be the first I've heard of it.

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 10/26/2014 2:54:23 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

If there's been anything in Colorado since 7-1-13 this will be the first I've heard of it.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You know Hick would've been prancing everywhere with that story
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top