Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/15/2014 1:49:43 PM EDT
I am finishing a .458 socom build and need to drill a flash hider out to 1/2" ID. It should be a simple job but ive been told that flash hiders are very hard material and will be difficult to drill by hand. Anyone know of a shop that wont charge much to punch a 1/2" hole in a flash hider?
Link Posted: 8/15/2014 6:42:55 PM EDT
[#1]
It's not that they are difficult to drill. What's difficult is maintaining correct angle when doing by hand vs lathe, or even a drill press. Another thing that has an effect on drilling, is hardness/ composition of material.
Link Posted: 8/15/2014 9:33:43 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
It's not that they are difficult to drill. What's difficult is maintaining correct angle when doing by hand vs lathe, or even a drill press. Another thing that has an effect on drilling, is hardness/ composition of material.
View Quote

What this guy said^^^
If it is a hard alloy a drill won't get it, it must be bored which ya can't do on a drill press.
IM me, drop it in the mail.
We can do it.
Link Posted: 8/15/2014 9:36:43 PM EDT
[#3]
Gary Kimball guns

1911 guru.....he does rifle work too  

Really a good guy and straight shooter

719 440 9122

Link Posted: 8/15/2014 9:37:06 PM EDT
[#4]
oh and great prices too

Link Posted: 8/15/2014 10:42:46 PM EDT
[#5]
Try Hickman Rifles.

http://www.hickmanrifles.com/
Link Posted: 8/17/2014 1:21:33 PM EDT
[#6]
thanks everyone for the replies. managed to get a hold of a friend with a lathe and we got it taken care of. Do I need to refinish the exposed metal now? the flash hider did not get hot during the cutting so I doubt it has lost hardness. Should I just put some cold blue or grill paint on it?
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 1:47:44 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

What this guy said^^^
If it is a hard alloy a drill won't get it, it must be bored which ya can't do on a drill press.
We can do it.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

What this guy said^^^
We can do it.

Good people here.  He'll hook you up!
Link Posted: 9/5/2014 11:20:46 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Try Hickman Rifles.

http://www.hickmanrifles.com/
View Quote

I second this. Earl has done a lot of small jobs for me lately and his prices have been GREAT. He's nice and laid back and seems to get all my work done very quickly.

Lots of barrels cut, crowned and threaded for some suppressors.... he did them for $60 each. Rebarreled an action for me also cutting/crowning/threading for suppressor....$175.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top