Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/29/2014 11:27:18 AM EDT
Hotel is at 200 west 48th ave Denver Colorado. Good area?

We are looking at maybe the eastern slope to live in. We want to travek out there some point later this year and check it out.
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 12:07:30 PM EDT
[#1]
Not my favorite area by far.

I assume you mean "Western Slope"
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 1:17:37 PM EDT
[#2]
not a good area but not ghetto-dangerous

is there a particular reason that you picked that place?
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 1:21:05 PM EDT
[#3]
Don't know the area. Travelocity gave me that location as part of the package. We live in north florida and are looking at Colorado, NoVa, or Texas.
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 1:52:49 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Don't know the area. Travelocity gave me that location as part of the package. We live in north florida and are looking at Colorado, NoVa, or Texas.
View Quote

I grew up in Fort Myers, went to UNF in Jax, and moved to Montrose in 2007. I'll never go back to Florida if I don't have to. I'd also not move to the Front Range if I didn't have to. However, it is Colorado and there are many more work opportunities and better pay there. The western slope is an awesome place for everything outdoors and a bit slower pace of life.
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 2:45:48 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

I grew up in Fort Myers, went to UNF in Jax, and moved to Montrose in 2007. I'll never go back to Florida if I don't have to. I'd also not move to the Front Range if I didn't have to. However, it is Colorado and there are many more work opportunities and better pay there. The western slope is an awesome place for everything outdoors and a bit slower pace of life.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Had a chance to speak with him over the phone and it sounds like an active night life is important to him and his wife. Junction might do the trick but definitely not here
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 2:59:54 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Had a chance to speak with him over the phone and it sounds like an active night life is important to him and his wife. Junction might do the trick but definitely not here
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

We're young man.... also we have never step foot in Colorado before. So we might see Grand Junction or Montrose and fall in love. We like dining out at night, live music, good drinks, and such... but we also enjoy the outdoors. Hunting, camping, hiking, etc...

We will take you up on your offer though.
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 3:40:28 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
We're young man.... also we have never step foot in Colorado before. So we might see Grand Junction or Montrose and fall in love. We like dining out at night, live music, good drinks, and such... but we also enjoy the outdoors. Hunting, camping, hiking, etc...

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sounds good bro
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 4:41:12 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Sounds good bro
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
[We're young man.... also we have never step foot in Colorado before. So we might see Grand Junction or Montrose and fall in love. We like dining out at night, live music, good drinks, and such... but we also enjoy the outdoors. Hunting, camping, hiking, etc...

Sounds good bro

Don't trust him!
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 4:56:25 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Don't trust him!
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

[We're young man.... also we have never step foot in Colorado before. So we might see Grand Junction or Montrose and fall in love. We like dining out at night, live music, good drinks, and such... but we also enjoy the outdoors. Hunting, camping, hiking, etc...

Sounds good bro

Don't trust him!
What's the worst that happens? I get locked into a basement, used as a sex slave, have my organs harvested while I'm awake, and my body is then turned into a gun case.... worth the risk.

Link Posted: 7/29/2014 6:10:27 PM EDT
[#10]
You might check out Colorado Springs as well.  Much more conservative than Denver, but big enough for some night life.

A bit of advice: ski country/the high country is a nice place to visit, but I've seen a lot of marriages wrecked up there.  Good place to be young and single, not so good to be young and married.
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 6:20:40 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

You might check out Colorado Springs as well.  Much more conservative than Denver, but big enough for some night life.

A bit of advice: ski country/the high country is a nice place to visit, but I've seen a lot of marriages wrecked up there.  Good place to be young and single, not so good to be young and married.
View Quote
Will look into it.

Link Posted: 7/29/2014 7:56:37 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 8:39:51 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote

For the love of God don't move to NoVA.  I escaped after 28 years there and I have no idea why anyone would subject themselves to that way of life if they have the choice (I didn't, dad ended up stationed there).
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 8:48:36 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
What's the worst that happens? I get locked into a basement, used as a sex slave, have my organs harvested while I'm awake, and my body is then turned into a gun case.... worth the risk.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sounds good bro

Don't trust him!

I'm much more gentle than that......
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 8:54:17 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Sounds good bro

Don't trust him!

So you and the Mrs split the profit from my organ sale with my wife?

SWEET!
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 9:17:29 PM EDT
[#16]
For what you want out of a place, the front range is where you want to be.

I know lots of folks on here hate the front range, but I've loved living here.  Young, married, and life is awesome here.  So much to do.
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 9:21:17 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

SWEET!
View Quote

If she makes good Mofongo we will keep her
Link Posted: 7/30/2014 10:13:50 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I don't think we count as young anymore (I am now 35) but we have lived here in GJ for almost 6 years. If some type of night life is important I don't think this is it. Sure we have a few restaurants and places to hang out but it isn't the mecca you would get somewhere like Denver/FTC. But, like others have said, you can't beat being at most 2 hours away from pretty much anything you ever wanted to do outdoors. And SLC or Denver is only a 4 hour or so drive away if that is important.

Link Posted: 7/30/2014 10:27:53 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

SWEET!

Oh, she makes good Mofongo!

Link Posted: 7/30/2014 10:55:40 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

SWEET!

Sweet!
Link Posted: 7/30/2014 2:47:42 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Sounds good bro

Don't trust him!

Link Posted: 7/30/2014 2:49:08 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I've never understood why with the exception of a few things everything shuts down round here at 10.00?

Link Posted: 7/31/2014 2:29:01 AM EDT
[#23]
I never quite understood that either...
Link Posted: 8/1/2014 12:09:45 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I've never understood why with the exception of a few things everything shuts down round here at 10.00?  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The front range denver/ englehood, etc shut down early on weekends. The closed Cinderella city @ 6 p.m on saturdays. Bars on broadway, open and rocking or closed up. We use to slam em down at the Divide, then a few other quality places till 2.
Link Posted: 8/13/2014 7:16:55 AM EDT
[#25]
if you value your gun rights, live outside of Denver county
Link Posted: 8/14/2014 3:21:49 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

The front range denver/ englehood, etc shut down early on weekends. The closed Cinderella city @ 6 p.m on saturdays. Bars on broadway, open and rocking or closed up. We use to slam em down at the Divide, then a few other quality places till 2.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Highlands Ranch, Lonetree, Castle Rock, Parker (Douglas County):  All little havens of conservative views very close to the Denver Metro AND close to Colorado Springs.  Highlands Ranch is geting a bit libeal for me but it is pretty well positioned being out of Denve County and close to the mountains.  West side of Highlands Ranch offers accss to 470 for quick access to the mountains either via 285 or I70.  Head south on 85and take 67 through Sedalia up onto the Rampart Range or over into the South Platte River Basin for camping, trail riding, fishing, etc. Work days, you are close to both downtown and the Denver Tech Center.  Lightrail can be used to go downtown fairly easily.

Link Posted: 8/14/2014 3:53:36 PM EDT
[#27]
Montrose has RnR....   what else could you want?  

Night life in town is overrated anyway.  Night life in the mountains under the stars is way better.
Link Posted: 8/14/2014 4:47:48 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Night life in town is overrated anyway.  Night life in the mountains under the stars is way better.
View Quote

And horsefly!! I agree With TinLeg about country nights
Link Posted: 8/14/2014 6:18:10 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

if you value your gun rights, live outside of Denver county
View Quote
Thanks for the heads up.

Link Posted: 8/18/2014 11:19:14 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View Quote

Link Posted: 9/15/2014 11:25:23 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

For the love of God don't move to NoVA.  I escaped after 28 years there and I have no idea why anyone would subject themselves to that way of life if they have the choice (I didn't, dad ended up stationed there).
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ain't that the fuckin' truth. I lived in CO for 25 years, and I've been in the DC corridor (south of Quantico) for over 5 years and I CAN'T WAIT to get back home to CO. But first I have to wage-slave here for several more years to pay for my kids' college and shit. It's a soul-less existence.

Colorado economy hasn't been very good since '99-'00.
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 12:45:11 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
Ain't that the fuckin' truth. I lived in CO for 25 years, and I've been in the DC corridor (south of Quantico) for over 5 years and I CAN'T WAIT to get back home to CO. But first I have to wage-slave here for several more years to pay for my kids' college and shit. It's a soul-less existence.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

That really makes no sense.  How is the economy bad here?  The housing market is very strong an indication of a solid economy.  

Link Posted: 9/18/2014 7:03:58 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
That really makes no sense.  How is the economy bad here?  The housing market is very strong an indication of a solid economy.    
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

CO is insane with work. A lot of it labor intensive. Hell water truck drivers are starting @ $15, starting, with NO exp.  Want to learn how to run heavy equip? One of my shooting buddies would like to shit can the drunks & dopers, BUT he cannot hire anyone, that;s how tight the labor pool is.
Look anywhere, yep those are new - 5 yr old diesel and gas 4x4's , Rigs are everywhere, so is work.
Link Posted: 9/27/2014 11:06:32 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Unless you absolutely hate everything about Miami, you're probably not going to like the Western Slope, long term; it is pretty much the exact polar opposite of South Florida in every way. There is more outdoors, hunting, camping, and hiking than you will ever be able to do in a lifetime, but there's only a couple restaurants and bars open after 8pm, and I don't think there are any nightclubs, at all. Front range is a lot better if these things are important to you.

I spent 10, long years in Florida, hating every second of it, but the western slope is paradise for me.

Link Posted: 9/28/2014 10:01:51 AM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 9/28/2014 10:06:42 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:While the economy is doing better than it has in a while, it is largely a one trick pony, and one legislative session away from a depression.

Oil/gas is what is driving it right now, and there is a lot of political pressure to shut it down, if the electorate doesn't get it right this time around, the job and housing markets will tank.

View Quote

The tech industry would like to have a word with you.
Link Posted: 9/28/2014 8:55:10 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:While the economy is doing better than it has in a while, it is largely a one trick pony, and one legislative session away from a depression.

Oil/gas is what is driving it right now, and there is a lot of political pressure to shut it down, if the electorate doesn't get it right this time around, the job and housing markets will tank.

If the word is "you're hired", I'm listening.

I lived in CO for 25 years and only left because work ran out for me in 2008. I knew the place very well, having seen several business cycles. Since I got there in 1985:

The semiconductor industry pumped up and then imploded.

The data storage industry pumped up and then imploded.

The cable/satellite, telecomm industry pumped up and then imploded.

The medical device industry spun off several cottage-industry copycats, and they all thought that they were special because "FDA regs are sooooo magical" that only the cool kids could understand them. I think there has been some implosion there, too.

The NASA tech incubator in Loveland did not happen.

I hear Conoco-Phillips is not going to do anything in the old StorageTek location on Rt. 36.

Now what is there? Oil and gas as Dave has said?

I keep close tabs on friends in CO and they still report that they or their friends are struggling. Sorry to the poster who mentioned driving water trucks and what-not, but I'd like to know where the 6-figure jobs are. All jobs that I knew to be in that arena now command much less and you're lucky to have one.

I really want to come back for the lifestyle and I'd rather not have to wait until retirement, but I do not see the kind of strength that makes me feel comfortable that I can make a 12-year run at anything.
Link Posted: 9/28/2014 9:01:07 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

I lived in CO for 25 years and only left because work ran out for me in 2008. I knew the place very well, having seen several business cycles. Since I got there in 1985:

The medical device industry spun off several cottage-industry copycats, and they all thought that they were special because "FDA regs are sooooo magical" that only the cool kids could understand them. I think there has been some implosion there, too.

I hear Conoco-Phillips is not going to do anything in the old StorageTek location on Rt. 36.

I keep close tabs on friends in CO and they still report that they or their friends are struggling. Sorry to the poster who mentioned driving water trucks and what-not, but I'd like to know where the 6-figure jobs are. All jobs that I knew to be in that arena now command much less and you're lucky to have one.

I really want to come back for the lifestyle and I'd rather not have to wait until retirement, but I do not see the kind of strength that makes me feel comfortable that I can make a 12-year run at anything.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That is indeed the word, but you had better be one of the best in the field if you want a lasting job here, at least in the software industry.

If your friends or their friends are struggling, they did not adapt to the market changes in CO, did not keep up on current technology, don't want to live near enough to the jobs, or any number of things.
Link Posted: 9/28/2014 9:24:07 PM EDT
[#39]
Well, my friends have diversified backgrounds and not all are in software. For me, I stopped solving technical puzzles a long time ago and now I solve business puzzles. Given the results some companies (don't) manage to achieve, I think there is room for me.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top