Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/28/2014 12:15:37 PM EDT
I have spent many summers in SW Colorado around Pagosa Springs and Durango and love that part of your state.
I just spent 9 days in Durango with the wife and kids and it sucked coming back to the heat of SW Oklahoma.
Are there other towns of similar size and weather to Durango?
Just getting started looking at real estate and am open to suggestions.

Are there areas to avoid? Are there other towns like Durango I should look at with similar weather?

About us, I am retired Coast Guard, currently employed in second career where I telecommute, wife works with me, have two teens, we love hunting, fishing, the outdoors, shooting, freedom, etc.
So as you can tell we are extreme liberals
Link Posted: 7/28/2014 3:51:47 PM EDT
[#1]
You sound like a live and let live kind of person, so please move to CO.  If you like Durango, then it's probably a good bet.  There are a few too many libtards there, which you and your family can help offset, and it's a bit pricey.  You probably knew that.  I live on the Front Range, but hunt and hike around Durango, so I'm semi-familiar with the area.  Some other members probably have some other good suggestions and more insight into that area.
Link Posted: 7/28/2014 6:26:12 PM EDT
[#2]
I would recommend looking at the western slope. Very conservative area and you can do just about any outdoor activity here
Link Posted: 7/28/2014 6:48:43 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I would recommend looking at the western slope. Very conservative area and you can do just about any outdoor activity here
View Quote

What area is considered the western slope?
Link Posted: 7/28/2014 6:59:55 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

West of the Continental Divide.  Most people think of Grand Junction as the main western slope city, which is about 10X the size of Durango.

You're not going to find a better place than Durango--anything similar size-wise is going to be much more expensive, more liberal, and snootier.  You can have a great meal in Durango for $30.  It's a bit harder to do in Aspen or Telluride.  
Link Posted: 7/28/2014 9:40:57 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

West of the Continental Divide.  Most people think of Grand Junction as the main western slope city, which is about 10X the size of Durango.

You're not going to find a better place than Durango--anything similar size-wise is going to be much more expensive, more liberal, and snootier.  You can have a great meal in Durango for $30.  It's a bit harder to do in Aspen or Telluride.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Montrose is a good size and very conservative
Link Posted: 7/28/2014 9:41:28 PM EDT
[#6]
Montrose has been mentioned in another thread.  It's the other end of Hwy 550 from Durango, northern gateway to the San Juans, if you like.

And, how about Gunnison?  Durango is nice, if a bit too liberal for my tastes.
Link Posted: 7/28/2014 9:55:48 PM EDT
[#7]
Thanks guys, I haven't been to the places you mentioned but it sounds like I need to check them out.
I was thinking just rent a place for a short time so I can look in detail and not feel rushed.
I just really, really like the weather and scenery around Durango/Pagosa.  Plus I want to do a fair amount of gardening.
I am most certainly open to other areas of equal size if the weather and scenery is similar.

Since my retirement from the USCG and moving back to SW Ok I am having a hard time dealing with the heat which ranges from a cool 100 to 110.
Past couple of summers I have seen 112-113
Link Posted: 7/28/2014 11:51:27 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Thanks guys, I haven't been to the places you mentioned but it sounds like I need to check them out.
I was thinking just rent a place for a short time so I can look in detail and not feel rushed.
I just really, really like the weather and scenery around Durango/Pagosa.  Plus I want to do a fair amount of gardening.
I am most certainly open to other areas of equal size if the weather and scenery is similar.

Since my retirement from the USCG and moving back to SW Ok I am having a hard time dealing with the heat which ranges from a cool 100 to 110.
Past couple of summers I have seen 112-113
View Quote

Creede might not be a bad place to check out either
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 6:23:25 AM EDT
[#9]
Bayfield is about 22 miles from Durango and more affordable.   Pagosa is a cool town too.   Be aware if you move outside of a town with a muni water system, you will be on a well.  I used to live outside of Bayfield, and had several friends with wells who had to haul in water due to poor well water.   The winter can drag on too, we had some where it was a second job keeping the snow clear from driveways/walks/patio.
 The growing season will be a lot shorter too, if you have the water to grow stuff at all.   Some areas will have irrigation water available via a ditch, some won't.   Water is pretty valuable in W CO.
 Grand Jct, Montrose and just about anywhere between the two are pretty good areas.   Property values are climbing again, and if Nat gas makes a comeback Grand jct and the surrounding area will be $$.    
 Cortez is a choice near Durango too.
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 10:33:34 AM EDT
[#10]
Water is also very valuable in SE Colorado (Las Animas, Huerfano County).  We get rain, but not enough.  I can't have a large garden or critters because of the water issue.
Link Posted: 9/19/2014 3:38:47 PM EDT
[#11]
We're not heading the right direction here IMHO.
Colorado is beautiful but if I was in your shoes and know what I know, I'd be looking at NW WYO, Idaho, Utah or Montana.
Whatever you decide, best of luck
Link Posted: 9/19/2014 5:33:35 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
We're not heading the right direction here IMHO.
Colorado is beautiful but if I was in your shoes and know what I know, I'd be looking at NW WYO, Idaho, Utah or Montana.
Whatever you decide, best of luck
View Quote

Agree.  Even though it would be nice to have some other like-minded people out here, at least wait to see how this Nov. goes.  Our R Party is pretty lame.  They're getting slightly better, but have a long way to go.  

Link Posted: 9/20/2014 11:00:03 PM EDT
[#13]
Montrose
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 2:25:15 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Montrose
View Quote

Where are all these western slopers I've never met coming from!?
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 2:58:18 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Montrose

Alas I'm in Co Springs  for the time being spent some time in Montrose the last few years due to work and love it there. Want to live out there eventually.
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 3:55:52 AM EDT
[#16]
I spent some time in Montrose, Delta and Grand Junction recently and am considering settling there, maybe in a year or two.

I am told that the weather is not bad, rather mild (all things considered) and the winters are typically not too bad because the sun melts any snow after a day or two. Is this everyone's experience?

I am used to dry, arid weather, so that part I'm prepared for. Though, I did visit in June, which I assume was during the growing season?

My first choice would be Montrose, followed by Delta, then Grand Junction. I liked how beautiful, green mountainous areas (like Telluride) were only an hour or two drive away.

I've also been assured that Montrose, etc. is conservative politically, which is a big plus.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top