Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/21/2014 2:40:49 PM EDT
So there is a chance I can transfer to Montrose with my company and just wondering about a few things.

I have already read and researched allot so I already know I can bring all my sbr's, suppressors, as well as all my normal capacity magazines that I have owed prior to the ban in 2013.

My question is this on the gun stuff. I do have some pmags that have mold dates after the ban. Does the local law enforce the ban on those? Should I bring them with me, if I do transfer, or do I leave them at my brothers?

Does anyone have any experience with the Montrose/grand junction area? From my research it is a nice place to live with a few options to shoot and lots of hunting.

I really want to get out of the desert and the city, I want to get back to my roots of the outdoors and mountains that I grew up with. I also have family in Denver and family In Heber city Utah so it seems like a good place smack in middle to stay a while.

Thanks for any input or opinions.
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 2:44:54 PM EDT
[#1]
What is this date stamp you speak of...?

Link Posted: 7/21/2014 2:54:12 PM EDT
[#2]
Right right I follow, don't know what I was thinking
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 2:55:54 PM EDT
[#3]
I always liked Montrose, though I haven't been there in years, can't say if or how it has changed.

The San Juan mountains are spectacular.
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 4:29:53 PM EDT
[#4]
I'm out in Fruita, just a tad west of Grand Junction.  

My $.02...

The grand valley is a great "hub" if you enjoy the outdoors.  It's big enough to have all the crap you are likely to need, but small enough that traffic is relatively non-existent.  There is great access to outdoor activities within 1/2 hour to 2 hours drive.  Bookcliffs, Moab,  Grand Mesa, San Juans, Flattops, Uncompaghre Plateau, etc.

Grand Junction is still desert though.  You're not in the mountains here.

I don't think Montrose is quite as desert-ish as Grand Junction.  A little higher in elevation, and much closer to the San Juans.  Maybe some Montrose folk will chime in, there's a few on the board.

Link Posted: 7/21/2014 5:19:49 PM EDT
[#5]
I wouldn't bring in any magazines with mold marks or date stamps post June 2013 and I wouldn't bring in any magazines with defaced date stamps or codes.
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 6:00:51 PM EDT
[#6]
Montrose is great. Our Sheriff has said he won't enforce anything. I know plenty of people with post dated mags, but if you aren't comfortable, only use pre-dated mags...

ETA: You can do ANY activity within an hour and a half of town. Boating, skiing, biking, off-roading, hunting, fishing, climbing, etc. I love it here and hope I never have to leave. Just don't let them offer a lower wage claiming lower cost of living. Kind of the only downside here. Wages kind of suck, but it cost just as much to live here.
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 7:13:31 PM EDT
[#7]
Montrose area is fucking awesome.
Do you own a Dremel or soldering iron?
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 6:01:24 AM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I wouldn't bring in any magazines with mold marks or date stamps post June 2013 and I wouldn't bring in any magazines with defaced date stamps or codes.
View Quote

Link Posted: 7/22/2014 7:01:06 AM EDT
[#9]
I'm here in montrose, only been here a bit but think you'll be fine. Some great outdoor shooting areas. Hit me up if you end up here
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 7:11:44 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I'm here in montrose, only been here a bit but think you'll be fine. Some great outdoor shooting areas. Hit me up if you end up here
View Quote

?????? There are a few of us. Need to set up another get together for food and beer.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 7:44:48 AM EDT
[#11]
All good info, I really appreciate the input.

My wage stays the same no matter what base I transfer too so I guess I will put in the transfer and see what happens. It sounds like just the place I am looking for.

You all have been a great help
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 8:08:55 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

My wage stays the same no matter what base I transfer too so I guess I will put in the transfer and see what happens. It sounds like just the place I am looking for.

View Quote

Army?
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 8:15:02 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

?????? There are a few of us. Need to set up another get together for food and beer.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This! WTF I keep finding about new local Arfcommers!

OP, Montrose is a great area and very very conservative. Mag laws aren't being enforced and our sheriff is actively fighting the state in court because of the new laws. If you come into town, let us know and maybe we can show you around
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 8:16:01 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote

Medic? Or honor guard? You gonna be out of the Montrose Guard Armory?
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 9:38:52 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Medical but not medic... I'm a ems pilot, I work out of Yuma Arizona and live in Vegas right now but looking to change both those.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 10:05:05 AM EDT
[#16]
Do you already work for Life CareFlight? I used to work out with a couple of people that were medics/nurses (?) on the helicopter here. Saw they lost a crew last week. Seems like a small community. Good Luck and hope it works out for you!
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 10:24:04 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Medical but not medic... I'm a ems pilot, I work out of Yuma Arizona and live in Vegas right now but looking to change both those.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Gotcha. I had heard CareFlight had an opening
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 1:51:49 PM EDT
[#18]
Yeah I work for Careflight down in the Yuma base right now. Yeah we lost one of our fixed wing pilots up there. Unfortunately we lost a whole crew from Santa Fe a few days ago too. Its been a bad month but its the nature of the beast I suppose.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 3:57:06 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Yeah I work for Careflight down in the Yuma base right now. Yeah we lost one of our fixed wing pilots up there. Unfortunately we lost a whole crew from Santa Fe a few days ago too. Its been a bad month but its the nature of the beast I suppose.
View Quote

Well good luck man. If you come up, let me know and I can show you around
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 7:41:37 PM EDT
[#20]
I dunno man, I hear there are some weird motherfuckers out there in Montrose.

Link Posted: 7/22/2014 8:03:07 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View Quote

Link Posted: 7/22/2014 8:18:22 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

<a href="http://s1049.photobucket.com/user/psouthern1214/media/C7FF965B-0B7E-4831-BFA5-41D7C834B856_zpsf0glkrbi.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i1049.photobucket.com/albums/s400/psouthern1214/C7FF965B-0B7E-4831-BFA5-41D7C834B856_zpsf0glkrbi.jpg</a>
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

<a href="http://s1049.photobucket.com/user/psouthern1214/media/C7FF965B-0B7E-4831-BFA5-41D7C834B856_zpsf0glkrbi.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i1049.photobucket.com/albums/s400/psouthern1214/C7FF965B-0B7E-4831-BFA5-41D7C834B856_zpsf0glkrbi.jpg</a>

Just that guy

Link Posted: 7/22/2014 10:05:28 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks! I might take you up on that down the road.

Hey, weirder the better... As long as they ain't fast pace rude mutherfukers like Vegas
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 2:38:14 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Just that guy

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Just that guy

Link Posted: 7/23/2014 11:53:19 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

OP, Montrose is a great area and very very conservative. Mag laws aren't being enforced and our sheriff is actively fighting the state in court because of the new laws. If you come into town, let us know and maybe we can show you around
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

This.

Link Posted: 7/23/2014 12:00:43 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
Just that guy
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Just that guy

Link Posted: 7/23/2014 7:53:09 PM EDT
[#27]
Your office would be just South of the hospital, across the street.   Met a few of the people when I did my EMT training, years ago.    If everybody around town gets together, we could meet at Horsefly (local brewpub).   Buy you a beer
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 3:44:30 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Your office would be just South of the hospital, across the street.   Met a few of the people when I did my EMT training, years ago.    If everybody around town gets together, we could meet at Horsefly (local brewpub).   Buy you a beer
View Quote

Exactly my thoughts. Great beer and great food
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 4:38:40 AM EDT
[#29]
You guys are awesome

Transfer request is submitted. Now just have to wait for a spot.
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 8:53:43 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
You guys are awesome

Transfer request is submitted. Now just have to wait for a spot.
View Quote

Good luck!
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 9:50:15 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Kiltakaze and I were just talking about doing another Horsefly get together the other day.
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 11:19:52 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Kiltakaze and I were just talking about doing another Horsefly get together the other day.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That requires him to have a day off.
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 11:51:26 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
View Quote

ETA: I would say he just simply doesn't exist or hates life, but he has been to my house...
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 1:23:58 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

ETA: I would say he just simply doesn't exist or hates life, but he has been to my house...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm off this weekend ya jack wagons!
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 3:43:58 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 7/24/2014 3:55:59 PM EDT
[#36]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://i.imgur.com/whwnpkF.gif

But....I am getting a tooth pulled so I'll be about useless anyway
Link Posted: 7/25/2014 12:47:27 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

http://i.imgur.com/whwnpkF.gif

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top