Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/12/2011 8:36:29 AM EDT
I was watching TV last night and saw a show called American Guns that was about a family owned shop called Gunsmoke Guns in Wheatridge.  Seems like a cool little shop.  Anyone been up there?  Pretty cool to have a local place on TV like that.

Link Posted: 10/12/2011 10:01:24 AM EDT
[#1]
They're not just famous, they're in-famous.
Link Posted: 10/12/2011 10:23:27 AM EDT
[#2]
biggest collection of jackasses on the planet.  you might reconsider what you consider a "cool" gunshop to be
Link Posted: 10/12/2011 10:37:39 AM EDT
[#3]
Bunch of people have complained in the past about them engraving their logo on to every 1911 they do gunsmithing work on. co-ar15 seems to hate them with a passion.
Link Posted: 10/12/2011 11:04:56 AM EDT
[#4]
Don't waste your time.
Link Posted: 10/12/2011 12:06:26 PM EDT
[#5]
Rich Wyatt

Didn't mind the shorten CCW class...but that's about it.
Link Posted: 10/12/2011 2:36:06 PM EDT
[#6]
If I were a gun-grabber looking to make a TV show, that's exactly the shop I'd pick.
Link Posted: 10/12/2011 6:39:08 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
biggest collection of jackasses on the planet.  you might reconsider what you consider a "cool" gunshop to be

I'll repeat what I already said...."they SEEM to be a cool little shop"

I was unaware of all of the history.  Other than branding their logo on weapons they work on, what is all the other controversy about?  I guess I can search the forums here, just thought i'd hear first hand here in the local section.

Link Posted: 10/12/2011 6:44:25 PM EDT
[#8]
While not lending opinion either way I would like to relay an experience a gent I know had:
He had a pair of new matching Colt Lightweight Defenders he took there for the "Full House" treatment. Pistols were there just short of ONE YEAR.
He gets the call that they were ready and picks them up. Huge logo etched/sandblasted into the side of the slides and probabley .050 deep and illegible. Facet work was performed to slide stop, safety and mainspring housings with what appeared to be a cut off wheel in a Dremel. No symmetry, just random cuts with no pattern of varying depth and length. Interior of one slide had big Dremel cuts in the locking lug area for unknown reasons.
Triggers, one had a gritty and creepy pull that broke at 6# 12 oz with considerable overtravel. The other had measurable take up and broke at 5# 3 oz and not enough travel, sear was bumping the half cock notch and the sear nose was ruined.
One had failure to extract issues, the extractor had been "Polished" to the extent that not enough hook was available to reliably catch the case rim. Both were under tensioned.
One pistol would not go into battery consistently.

He chose not to take them back there for repair.
He would not divulge what this "work" cost him but you could tell he was quite upset and embarrased.
Both run 100% now.

Draw your own conclusions.......................................

Want some interesting reading?
Just Google the proprietors name with the word lawsuit behind it.
Link Posted: 10/12/2011 7:11:53 PM EDT
[#9]
When you are there ask rich wyatt about his time in jail.

Ask him about being banned at Gunsite where he was a staff instructor.

Ask him about all the money he collected for his "Jeff Cooper" museum.

Ask about the gun butchery they perform.

BTW since rich had to do some time behind bars exactly how is he allowed near guns anyway?

Link Posted: 10/13/2011 6:32:25 AM EDT
[#10]
I can only speak from personal experience.  I'm from Wheatridge and had his shop do a Colt Series 80 1911 for me.  My father also purchased a S&W .500 Mag. and a Ruger .44 Mag. I had a minor issue with the finish and they fixed it within a couple weeks and shipped it back to me.  The weapon shoots great.  I stop in just about every time a return home and have never had a bad experience.  From what I've read I may be in the minority, but I also haven't found many first hand reviews.  Most of what I have read is hear-say.
Link Posted: 10/14/2011 9:58:04 PM EDT
[#11]
How these jack asses got a show I will never understand. Stay far away. Worst gun shop in the state hands down.
Link Posted: 10/20/2011 7:12:22 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

How these jack asses got a show I will never understand. Stay far away. Worst gun shop in the state hands down.

I think Dudley Brown from RMGO and NAGR pushed pretty hard for this show to happen.

To bad they went with a douche bag to represent the Colorado firearms community

Link Posted: 10/20/2011 2:38:40 PM EDT
[#13]
I am not privy to details of the history of the store, but it sure is nice to go in & look around...Merkel rifles & shotguns (fan of their old, 'cheaper' SxS's), & stuffed animals.
Rich seemed nice & friendly.
I've heard bad things about their 'custom' work & thus would steer clear.

I think it is well worth the visit to just look at the eye candy, whether you have a hatred for them o rnot
Link Posted: 10/22/2011 7:42:03 AM EDT
[#14]
Are they a class 3 shop? As the last episode he bought a full auto B.A.R. for way cheep and walk out w/ it...... even though the gun bag it was supposed to be in was way to small. What realy puts me off on the show is all the "money" thats flashed, I think it is realy tacky....
Link Posted: 10/22/2011 7:13:48 PM EDT
[#15]
Called them today...they are not a class 3 shop, show is bull$hit!!!
Link Posted: 10/22/2011 11:37:27 PM EDT
[#16]
Fuck that place.
Link Posted: 10/23/2011 9:06:40 AM EDT
[#17]
" I keep a helocopter on standby so I can be the first to get to a bog collection".

Yeah he drives from Wheatridge to Centennial airport so he can fly someplace just outside of Golden.

Link Posted: 10/23/2011 9:55:36 AM EDT
[#18]
and his money stingey wife says nothing about that!
Link Posted: 10/25/2011 10:10:38 PM EDT
[#19]
avoid them like the plague.  you do not want to deal with them...
Link Posted: 10/26/2011 7:22:45 PM EDT
[#20]
Sniper7  other than the above...due tell pls
Link Posted: 10/27/2011 7:41:07 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
" I keep a helocopter on standby so I can be the first to get to a bog collection".

Yeah he drives from Wheatridge to Centennial airport so he can fly someplace just outside of Golden.

WTF is a bog collection?

I'm surprised that no one else here has pointed out that his daughter is smokin' either...and I don't watch the show as I don't have cable.
Link Posted: 10/27/2011 8:31:46 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Quoted:

WTF is a bog collection?

I'm surprised that no one else here has pointed out that his daughter is smokin' either...and I don't watch the show as I don't have cable.

My cousin has a few classes with her. They do a lot of work on her before she goes on tv
Link Posted: 10/27/2011 7:17:04 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Sniper7  other than the above...due tell pls

http://www.co-ar15.com/forums/showthread.php?t=13579

Link Posted: 10/27/2011 10:13:11 PM EDT
[#24]
WOW JUST WOW !
Link Posted: 11/1/2011 7:15:18 PM EDT
[#25]
Just watched some of of tonight's episode. WOW, what a trip. Seems to me that Rich is a mall ninja, black belt umpteenth degree.  If he really is that big of a jackass in real life, Darwin should have worked his magic a long time ago. I bet his momma is proud that he was able to live long enough and give her some grandchildren.
Link Posted: 11/3/2011 2:05:51 PM EDT
[#26]
I go in there every few months as I only live 5 minutes away. Every time I walk out the door I ask myself "why the hell did I go in there again?" Ive never been treated with courtesy and their prices are always too high IMHO. I don't know a single person who has had a good dealing with that shop. Honestly.. NOT ONE.
Link Posted: 11/5/2011 8:47:34 PM EDT
[#28]
Tonights episode, they sold a Barret M82A1 / M107 for $12K with no other accessories (no scope, etc.).  

Not sure if it is just a setup for the show sales tactic, but customer agreed to $12K pricetag w/o so much even bulging or even posturing to think, like he has money growing off trees and throwing them away.

Link Posted: 11/6/2011 5:01:29 PM EDT
[#29]
Lest we not forget knowingly fabricating an illegal firearm (Solenoid actuated firearms attached to a vehicle)
Link Posted: 11/8/2011 12:31:35 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 11/8/2011 2:32:08 PM EDT
[#31]
What I wonder on the show is how many of the customers are legit or just straight plants.  The one and only time I was there it was dead.  Not one customer in there.  But then again, if you're making $15K for one pistol, that's quite a bit of overhead covered.

Link Posted: 11/8/2011 7:37:45 PM EDT
[#32]
Just because you've been to jail, doesn't mean you can't own a firearm.

That shop is terrible.
Link Posted: 11/8/2011 8:01:55 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

What I wonder on the show is how many of the customers are legit or just straight plants.  The one and only time I was there it was dead.  Not one customer in there.  But then again, if you're making $15K for one pistol, that's quite a bit of overhead covered.

RMGO (Rocky Mountain Gun Owners) specifically sought people out who were looking for specific items in an attempt to have subjects for the show.  The CO-AR15.com website is currently down so I can not point to the thread.

Link Posted: 11/9/2011 11:56:04 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

The one & only episode I saw, the day of the m/c "show" (I stopped by that day they were taping where a patched member of a 1% gang was there in his cut) Rich's good buddy Peter Boyles was one of the "customers".

I wonder what his wife's ex husband (if there is one) thinks of his children & their appearance on the show (especially with the way the daughter dresses-hey I'm just a grumpy old fart).

Link Posted: 11/10/2011 2:21:41 PM EDT
[#35]
This show is a joke.  I don't care if bad TV has guns in it...it's still bad TV.
Link Posted: 11/10/2011 3:12:07 PM EDT
[#36]
That ripoff report was an interesting read. I stopped watching this after the 2nd episode because Rich seemed like the kind if guy that would ripoff his grandma for a buck. What an asshole.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top