Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 8/10/2017 10:23:15 PM EDT
Is all public land DNR land? Cant shoot 30 minutes after sunset and before sunrise, trying to see if there is anywhere public I can take some suppressed rifles to with NV besides private property.

Was hoping the darrington pit would be a legal place to go, but looks like its DNR.
Link Posted: 8/10/2017 11:23:32 PM EDT
[#1]
As far as I know, and I've not found documentation stating otherwise, you can shoot after hours on national forest land. I still need to confirm that as I have a need for after hours use locations as well, but as of now I'm pursuing the national forest land. 

If you are just looking for a "one and done" location to sight in some stuff I may be able to get us on private land if you needed. 
Link Posted: 8/10/2017 11:58:36 PM EDT
[#2]
I wouldn't mind shooting with my NODs.  This info is relevant to me too!
Link Posted: 8/11/2017 7:19:46 PM EDT
[#3]
I just sight in the red dot and line the two up later at night, but it would be fun to go shooting as a group even if it was just .22's with cans. I'm in snohomish but could drive a bit. I'm on days right now but in a few weeks I'll be back to graveyard and will start going back out again more often.
Link Posted: 9/11/2017 3:28:56 PM EDT
[#4]
OK gents, sorry it took me so long to get this tracked down! (Had a 2 week vacation for the eclipse, getting kids back in school etc etc)

I've nailed down a place we can shoot at night. Its a drive, about 40 minutes or so outside of Sedro Woolley. Its forest land but I've spoken to the ranger and the lady I spoke to wrote down that she confirmed there are no time of day restrictions on shooting. Its not an official letterhead thing but its light years beyond "Well I thought it'd be ok!". 

Not that I was worried about any time of day restrictions but NODs aint cheap so I figured it would make some good peace of mind. So that said if you guys want to go do some night shooting I'm game and will bring my NVD gear as well. If you guys are still up for it and dont mind a heck of a drive (I know Scorpio comes from Seattle) just let me know and we can set a time to meet up somewhere and go from there. 

@Ryo
@ScorpioMk
Link Posted: 9/11/2017 10:43:36 PM EDT
[#5]
those who have nvg, probably have cans.

i  doubt the cops ever get called. 
Link Posted: 9/11/2017 11:15:13 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

i  doubt the cops ever get called. 
View Quote
I know I have both, as do some others. None the less its one thing to have your Glock pistol confiscated for being a law breaker. Quite another to have a full kit setup taken by Johnny Law. That can easily be multi thousand or even ten thousand depending whats being run. 

I decided to get it in writing that I can go shoot after dark. 

EDIT: More importantly I wanted others to be comfortable as well!
Link Posted: 9/12/2017 2:43:26 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View Quote
I'd run a can for sure.. noise reduction, and flash suppression.

Sedro-Woolley.. about little over a hour drive.  That's not too crazy.
Link Posted: 9/12/2017 1:01:27 PM EDT
[#8]
I am down for a night shoot.  I have a PVS-14, laser IR designator and several suppressors.

Tim
Link Posted: 9/12/2017 10:07:24 PM EDT
[#9]
This sounds interesting and I have both!
Link Posted: 9/12/2017 11:37:03 PM EDT
[#10]
If someone has a spot and wants to have a few guys come out let us know, I have a can on my rifle and some others I could possibly share.
Link Posted: 9/13/2017 12:48:41 AM EDT
[#11]
Well, seems like theres interest so lets do this. I can bring out some steel to shoot as well.  First things first we need a day and time to meet up. Please dont think of this as "Jokers shoot" cause it aint! If one of you guys wants to run with planning it you are more than welcome. TO get it started though since I do want to do this.....

I'm really flexible, so a Friday works as well as a Saturday for me. I figure we can meet in the Food Pavilion parking lot (Allowing you to buy any last minute snacks ect) in Sedro Woolley then drive up. Its public land (Fed land, not state) so you may want the Discover pass if you dont have it not that I expect we'll be checked. 

So lets get it started.

If you are interested can you respond with:
Friday or Saturday?
Is Food Pavilion Meetup fine?
Time?

Given I think most of you guys have the long travel time I'll leave it up to you. I figure majority wins, so let me know what you guys would prefer. I'll start just to get the ball rolling

Saturday (This is people are watching the thread, a later one if people need a bit of time to prep)
Yes
6:30 (Sunset should be around 7:30 so that gives 30 minutes travel and 30 minute setup with a bit of light. We can go earlier if you guys want to shoot during daylight and into night though)

As of now it looks like there are only 4 or so NV shooters so shouldnt be too hard to find a date and time that works for everyone. 

@ScorpioMk
@cornhskr
@M-203
@Ryo
Link Posted: 9/13/2017 12:55:44 AM EDT
[#12]
I have an odd schedule and a weekday may work out.   Let me know.  This sounds fun.  I'll make a date one time or another.  Fucking night fire!!!  I got tracers too!!  he he
Link Posted: 9/13/2017 1:03:07 AM EDT
[#13]
Let this thread ride a couple of days.  Could be a new shoot!
Link Posted: 9/13/2017 1:03:48 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I have an odd schedule and a weekday may work out.   Let me know.  This sounds fun.  I'll make a date one time or another.  Fucking night fire!!!  I got tracers too!!  he he
View Quote
Friday? Or do you mean "weekend" as in a Tuesday?
Link Posted: 9/13/2017 1:20:35 AM EDT
[#15]
rotating schedule.   Just feed dates, I'll see if I can make it.  Thank you for this.
Link Posted: 9/13/2017 1:38:03 AM EDT
[#16]
I am good for a meetup on the following dates:

Sat. 9/16
Sat. 9/23
Fri. 9/29
Fri./Sat. Oct. 6/7
Sat. 10/21
Fri./Sat. Oct. 27/28

I am good with meeting at the Food Pavillions parking lot at 6:30.
Saturdays are preferable since I will be travelling from the South End.

Tim
Link Posted: 9/13/2017 6:48:13 AM EDT
[#17]
Harry Osborne?
Link Posted: 9/13/2017 11:28:22 AM EDT
[#18]
Friday or Saturday works for me, I have two pvs14's so I'll probably have one buddy come with.
Link Posted: 9/13/2017 7:07:14 PM EDT
[#19]
Well lets do this to make it easy. I'm going to go shooting this weekend (Saturday) so if anyone wants to come let me know.

I'll also go out Sat. 9/23 as well. (Next weekend). I havent played with my NVDs in  while so its time to blow the dust off them. 

If anyone wants to go this weekend let me know, if you would prefer next weekend let me know. There. Easy. 
Link Posted: 9/13/2017 7:39:34 PM EDT
[#20]
I used to run rifle matches at UNSC, and imagine I still have enough built up goodwill that I could borrow some steel for a night shoot.  Keep me in mind.
Link Posted: 9/13/2017 9:47:09 PM EDT
[#21]
I'll meet up with you this Sat. 9/16.

Is the place we are driving to accessible via a 2-wheel drive sedan?  If not, I'll bring my truck.

Tim
Link Posted: 9/14/2017 12:20:59 AM EDT
[#22]
My buddy and me are in this weekend and probably next as well, I have 4 steel targets and a couple of "the last stand" setups to put them on.
Link Posted: 9/14/2017 12:50:39 AM EDT
[#23]
Sounds good so 3 in at least this weekend. Yep shouldnt be any problems bringing a sedan the rods are in good shape. 

Do you guys want to stick to 6:30ish meetup or do you want to go a bit earlier to do some day shooting? I'm completely flexible either way. I'll probably be bringing 2 or 3, a buddy of mine who I'm trying to convince to buy NV and maybe my son (If I can pry his ass off the computer.  )
Link Posted: 9/14/2017 1:33:56 AM EDT
[#24]
I'm game for the 16th or the 23rd.

I have bino NODs and IR lasers.  I can also bring some steel as well.  Anyone coming up from Pierce county and want to ride together?
Link Posted: 9/14/2017 2:24:35 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I'm game for the 16th or the 23rd.

I have bino NODs and IR lasers.  I can also bring some steel as well.  Anyone coming up from Pierce county and want to ride together?
View Quote
I'm just north of you.  If we can work a date in the future, definitely up for a commute.
Link Posted: 9/14/2017 11:12:40 AM EDT
[#26]
Well we're doing the 16th AND the 23rd, so take your pick or in proper Arfcom fashion get both. 

Cornhskr, dont worry we can go out some other time. 
Link Posted: 9/14/2017 1:51:29 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

I'm just north of you.  If we can work a date in the future, definitely up for a commute.
View Quote
Let me know if what date works out for you.  Wifey has given me the go ahead for either night.  I just need to have a sitter for this Saturday lined up. 
Link Posted: 9/17/2017 10:58:39 PM EDT
[#28]
Well I'd say it was a success! We drove at night and hit no elk. We set up in the dark and didnt fall down. We used NVDs and didnt shoot anyone. Op success! 

But to be honest, it was really cool. Big thanks to Scorpio and M203 for making it out. Very very cool to see this high dollar gear actually put to use. Its one thing to get your NVD and step out on the back deck, and that in itself is pretty damn amazing. But to then see the ease you can use the tech to engage targets in complete darkness was a hell of a thing. 
Link Posted: 9/18/2017 12:01:04 AM EDT
[#29]

Link Posted: 9/18/2017 12:45:12 AM EDT
[#30]
Sorry couldn't make it. I was out hunting deer.

Looks fun.
Link Posted: 9/18/2017 1:45:17 AM EDT
[#32]
Nice!  Breaking the gear out and making sure it (and you!) work is time well spent.  Wish I could have made it, but I spent all weekend at my daughter's softball tournament.

One question, in the last video, were you guys running helmet strobes all night?  That would be annoying as hell after awhile, and outside of testing it, why?  You aren't in a threat environment (i.e. no bad guys), so there is really no reason to have that thing going off constantly.
Link Posted: 9/18/2017 2:48:23 AM EDT
[#33]
Since everything was pitch black, we put the IR strobes or IR cyalumes onto our helmets to make sure we could easily identify that everyone was behind the firing line.  We put the firing line way in front of our vehicles and tables and put IR cyalumes on the ground to mark the line.   In addition, we only allowed 1 shooter at a time on the line.  Everything was well coordinated and it did not feel unsafe out there with the rules in place.

It was a really surreal experience for me shooting with my PVS-14.  Everything from properly adjusting the Wilcox mount on my helmet, adjusting the straps on the helmet, focusing the NVD and IR illuminator, and fumbling with the controls in low visibility conditions was a challenge.  Not to mention shooting with an IR laser designator.  I hope to be out there again after making some adjustments to my equipment.
Link Posted: 9/18/2017 4:24:15 AM EDT
[#34]
I got a couple packs of the bright strike ir strobes and just handed them out, used them to make a firing line too. We weren't really running any light otherwise so it just makes someone really stand out easily I guess. Hoping to buy sentinals this year and sell one or both of my 14's, might keep one as a loaner but we'll see. Someone rolled up after the other guys left looking to pick up our brass, they gotta be the reason the spot is so clean.
Link Posted: 9/18/2017 11:10:38 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
I got a couple packs of the bright strike ir strobes and just handed them out, used them to make a firing line too. We weren't really running any light otherwise so it just makes someone really stand out easily I guess. Hoping to buy sentinals this year and sell one or both of my 14's, might keep one as a loaner but we'll see. Someone rolled up after the other guys left looking to pick up our brass, they gotta be the reason the spot is so clean.
View Quote
So you either stayed out to match that beautiful morning sunrise or some guys were showing up at 2 in the morning?! They came in that late at night looking to scrounge brass?! I mean I like to pick up brass but fuck me I wouldnt do it all sneaky like at 2 in the morning......
Link Posted: 9/18/2017 3:51:02 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
So you either stayed out to match that beautiful morning sunrise or some guys were showing up at 2 in the morning?! They came in that late at night looking to scrounge brass?! I mean I like to pick up brass but fuck me I wouldnt do it all sneaky like at 2 in the morning......
View Quote
they came through around midnight I think, definitely strange. looked like a couple of tweakers in a chevy malibu. im ScorpioMk's friend btw.
Link Posted: 9/18/2017 5:29:37 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

they came through around midnight I think, definitely strange. looked like a couple of tweakers in a chevy malibu. im ScorpioMk's friend btw.
View Quote
Was it red? We passed a red car which I thought was a 300M as we were getting to the highway. It seemed really odd that someone was going up the mountain at midnight. I was half tempted to turn around "just in case", but figured 2 well armed guys packing NV should be able to deal with any questionable types. 
Link Posted: 9/18/2017 6:47:53 PM EDT
[#38]
So is this going down again on the 23rd?  I could not make it this last Saturday due to a scheduling conflict.  However, I have most certainly cleared my schedule and would like to drag my ass out there to come play.  I can bring steel and some really cool toys that everyone can play with. 
Link Posted: 9/18/2017 11:36:59 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
So is this going down again on the 23rd?  I could not make it this last Saturday due to a scheduling conflict.  However, I have most certainly cleared my schedule and would like to drag my ass out there to come play.  I can bring steel and some really cool toys that everyone can play with. 
View Quote
I'm still in, if vega has to work I'll bring someone else. Would maybe be into meeting around 6 and giving an extra few minutes for setup when its light out, and stop along the way again if anyone needs a forest pass.
Link Posted: 9/18/2017 11:46:35 PM EDT
[#40]
I'm definitely in again.  The only thing that would change that is rain, but the weekend forecast looks clear.  I think meeting earlier at 6 is a great idea.
Link Posted: 9/18/2017 11:56:05 PM EDT
[#41]
OK lets plan this then.

Sat @ 6 PM Food Pavilion. Same spot, right in front of the store back of the parking lot. 

In other news I figured out what was wrong with my IR laser. It works fine, so next go around I can go helmet mount and be in the cool kid group too! 
Seems in the dark I was fiddle fucking with the illuminator dials and not the IR laser dials......
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 12:12:18 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
OK lets plan this then.

Sat @ 6 PM Food Pavilion. Same spot, right in front of the store back of the parking lot. 

In other news I figured out what was wrong with my IR laser. It works fine, so next go around I can go helmet mount and be in the cool kid group too! 
Seems in the dark I was fiddle fucking with the illuminator dials and not the IR laser dials......
View Quote
There has been a few times when my laser and/or illuminator haven't come on, and I'm thinking "WTF!?!  Is my battery dead already?".  Then I remember the little lens caps.......
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 12:51:46 AM EDT
[#43]
Damn it.  With hockey season starting and my son making 12U select team.  Time is precious.  Keep feeding dates please.  Looks like you guys had fun!!
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 3:32:26 AM EDT
[#44]
if I don't work i'm in for sure, but I never know my weekend work schedule till late in the week. I still have your forest pass in my truck too @ScorpioMk lol
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 10:20:01 AM EDT
[#45]
I wish I could join ya'll, I'm about 90min south of you guys.  I'd bring my setup
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 2:28:24 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
I wish I could join ya'll, I'm about 90min south of you guys.  I'd bring my setup
View Quote
I am coming up from Bonney Lake so you can tag along with me if you're in my AO. 
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 5:42:27 PM EDT
[#47]
Shame I missed this post.

PVS14, IR laser, and suppressors ready.

Looking forward to the next group shoot if I can make it.
Link Posted: 9/20/2017 4:43:20 PM EDT
[#48]
That looks like fun. Gotta keep saving my pennies for some night vision stuff.
Link Posted: 9/20/2017 5:53:11 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

I am coming up from Bonney Lake so you can tag along with me if you're in my AO. 
View Quote
Wow, you're further than I am.  I am trying to see if I would be able to leave my place by 1630 to make it up there.
Link Posted: 9/22/2017 11:50:57 PM EDT
[#50]
Still in for tomorrow, bringing a different friend cause dummy told me today he’s gotta work.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top