Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/31/2017 4:30:38 PM EDT
I live in Everett and want an optic mounted on my SCAR 17 but would rather not drive east or south. Are there any recommendations for gun smiths north of here?
I heard Cabellas does it for free but I am skeptical of them, SCARS are good at eating optics, hence why I want to get it done proffessionally

Thank You
Link Posted: 8/2/2017 2:04:20 AM EDT
[#1]
If it's a quality optic and mounted properly on a good mount.. it won't eat the optic.

Just don't buy the cheapest optic or mount for a already very expensive firearm.  

Do you have a torque wrench?  Be sure to look up the torque required by the mount manufacturer to ensure you don't strip your threads.  
Boresight?  I suppose you can do that to get it on paper faster and get it zero'd.

For my stuff I use the Borka torque wrench set, but a Wheeler FatWrench would do too (which I also have).
For a laser boresight I use a Wheeler Pro Laser boresight.  Seems to do a great job getting on paper.
Link Posted: 8/8/2017 8:54:37 AM EDT
[#2]
We're you able to get your optic mounted? I run a small new shop in Marysville and have all the gear to get you setup if you are still looking for something other than Cabelas.

Josh
Link Posted: 8/11/2017 2:13:59 AM EDT
[#3]
Boresight: go to the range. In your house, with optic properly mounted, find the longest clear distance you have, remove bolt carrier, rest upper assembly, directed at an object or target across that longest clear distance. Using the Mk1 Mod0 eyeball (if you don't have at least one of these you shouldn't be asking about this), adjust the reticle of optic to line up with target/object viewed through bore of barrel. Adjust reticle up the same amount as height of optic over bore.
Arrive at range and boresight again. Adjust as necessary. This works with iron sights too.

You're welcome.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top