Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/29/2017 2:18:39 AM EDT
I'm replacing the motor in my old family boat. It's a great condition Cobalt CS7. Sadly the block was cracked in 3 spots... It's from 1983 with less than 160 hours on the entire boat.

Was cleaned up and put back in the water for the first time since 1994 last year, when it was discovered the block was toast. It's got a Mercruiser 898 outdrive, powered by a Marine 305 SBC.

New Engine... is a Marine 350 with a flat tappet cam, MSD marine ignition, with nearly everything around the engine being replace. I have an engine to assemble. ( currently just a long block sitting in my garage on it's crate base. ) I have everything needed for it that I can tell. I just need some assistance putting it together by someone who may have an idea what the fuck they are doing. 'Cause I sure as fuck don't. I'm good with suspension and fabrication, not engine assembly. Also need a way of lifting this bitch up far enough to get it out of the hull. Needs atleast 5 feet of clearance under the motor to get it safely over the rails.

Does anyone here have an A frame or portable gantry that can handle the weight of a SBC that they are willing to loan or rent out. Rental place wants 400 per week for one. I'd need it likely for more than a day so the weekly rate is a bit painful.

Have beer for anyone who is interested in assisting.
Link Posted: 8/8/2017 9:10:58 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 8/9/2017 12:59:22 AM EDT
[#2]
For a beer, I'll pull it out with tweezers. I have two regular engine hoists, but they won't help. Not sure I have enough gray matter left for the job, but I used to rebuild engines, frequently and happily. Ron's probably a better bet, as he's so much closer...but, ask me anything, if needed. I love to be helpful.
Link Posted: 8/9/2017 1:00:55 AM EDT
[#3]
To bad I am not closer I have a two ton engine crane that we have used to pull a few engines in boats with that would work for that job.

Good luck in getting some help.
Link Posted: 8/9/2017 1:04:43 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote
I have everything laid out for engine parts install. I may have located a large 1500lb rated Aframe that is about 10 feet tall. It should do the job.

Hopefully next weekend will be GO TIME.

I'd like to get the boat in the water before the end of the year.
Link Posted: 8/15/2017 2:47:37 PM EDT
[#5]
nm, wrong thing

[img]https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/64672/IMG_0551-281123.JPG[/img
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top