Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/13/2017 2:53:30 PM EDT
I bought a stripped lower online a few weeks ago and had it shipped to the closest FFL. They called me the other day and I went in to complete the 4473 and pick it up. They then said "you know this is going to be held for up to 10 days since it could be made a pistol."

I called BS, but alas, they are kinda the ones holding the cards as they have my shit. My CHL expired last year and I have not renewed it as of yet, so if there is a waiting period, I must wait it out...

Now I'll admit that I'm not all up on the law about these things and since this is the first lower I've actually ordered and had to have a transfer done, I'm not 100% sure.

The part that rubs me wrong is that I purchased a stripped lower locally from another dealer about two months ago. I walked in, filled out 4473, paid, walked out with lower.

I mention this to the guy at the counter and he said "well, they did it wrong".
Link Posted: 6/13/2017 3:46:54 PM EDT
[#1]
Form 4473

Here is the form you fill out, on page 5 it explains question 16. It is not a pistol, it is an other, being an other you have to be 21+ to buy it, but it is not subject to pistol laws.
Link Posted: 6/13/2017 6:33:26 PM EDT
[#2]
A receiver is a receiver and nothing more. The shop does not know what the laws are. Best suggestion is to stay away after you get the proceed.

Did they make you fill out the state pistol transfer application form?

Also, which shop?
Link Posted: 6/13/2017 7:07:04 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Also, which shop?
View Quote
this. 

let us know where not to shop.
Link Posted: 6/13/2017 8:03:52 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 6/14/2017 12:29:33 AM EDT
[#5]
That FFL is an idiot........

I wonder what other laws, rules and regs he's fucking up on.....
Link Posted: 6/14/2017 12:49:36 AM EDT
[#6]
Your FFL does not know what he is talking about, it is "Other" it is not configured into a gun as of yet, so there is no holding period on it, you should be able to walk out the door after you get a proceed from the FBI.
Link Posted: 6/14/2017 3:27:06 AM EDT
[#7]
In for the name and shame!
Link Posted: 6/14/2017 11:05:35 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 6/14/2017 10:23:40 PM EDT
[#9]
I'm going in tomorrow to see if I can resolve the issue. ill let you all know who it is once I've got my lower.
Link Posted: 6/15/2017 12:51:27 AM EDT
[#10]
Receiver is a receiver.  Would have allowed you to take your lower home but I would have mentioned that if you plan to make a pistol, I would recommend filling out the pistol transfer form to have paperwork on it.

Side note, I recommend getting your CPL renewal.. Less of a hassle.  

Question, did they do a background check or did they send the paperwork (4473 and pistol transfer form)  to the police?  If police then it does take time but that should only be done if filing out the pistol transfer form.  Sounds more like he doesn't know what they are doing.

The 15 day is bs.. You don't have to wait that long legally
Link Posted: 6/15/2017 1:29:33 AM EDT
[#11]
Who is the idiot FFL??
Link Posted: 6/15/2017 2:30:13 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Receiver is a receiver.  Would have allowed you to take your lower home but I would have mentioned that if you plan to make a pistol, I would recommend filling out the pistol transfer form to have paperwork on it.

Question, did they do a background check or did they send the paperwork (4473 and pistol transfer form)  to the police?  If police then it does take time but that should only be done if filing out the pistol transfer form.  Sounds more like he doesn't know what they are doing.

View Quote
Yeah, having my cpl for ten year, I got used to just walking in and walking out with a pistol or lower marked as such... definitely need to re up it.

He did mention sending in to LE. I was a bit confused as I've never heard of that happening. I filled out the 4473 on the computer. I've never done that befor either, so was a little confused when he said that it'll be a few days before they hear back.
Link Posted: 6/15/2017 4:42:49 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View Quote
WA state removed "Frame" as a selection on the Pistol Transfer Application form years ago. A receiver is a receiver and nothing more. You can't submit a pistol transfer application form on an AR lower as it does not fit the description of either a pistol or a revolver.
Link Posted: 6/15/2017 9:44:32 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
WA state removed "Frame" as a selection on the Pistol Transfer Application form years ago. A receiver is a receiver and nothing more. You can't submit a pistol transfer application form on an AR lower as it does not fit the description of either a pistol or a revolver.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's interesting. I picked up the lower today and looked at the pistol transfer form and it did have a section for frame. I'm guessing they're using old forms...  either way, I asked again why hey had to to that (different counter guy) and he held firm that the state required it since it could be made a pistol.

For those who would like to avoid this frustration, the shop is norpoint in Arlington.

Trying to reason further with any of the staff there was like talking to a brick wall. I gave up quickly as I would have been a fool to peruse further. I gathered my things and left.

This begs the question: if they are doing to it correctly, did they fuck up by not enforcing the 10 business day waiting period?  

One would think that if they did not have to enforce the wait then there is no reason to do a pistol transfer. But the brick walls at the counter didn't see it that way.

By the same reasoning, I should be able to slap a pistol tube and 10.5" barrel and be in the clear, but they didn't see it that way either......
Link Posted: 6/16/2017 12:36:00 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

That's interesting. I picked up the lower today and looked at the pistol transfer form and it did have a section for frame. I'm guessing they're using old forms...  either way, I asked again why hey had to to that (different counter guy) and he held firm that the state required it since it could be made a pistol.

For those who would like to avoid this frustration, the shop is norpoint in Arlington.
View Quote
Was this the old "triplicate" form that you fill out by hand?  The DOL hasn't accepted those since May 31st, 2016.  They should either be using the online application or the PDF posted to the DOL website:
http://www.dol.wa.gov/forms/652001.pdf

You will notice in the drop down that only "Pistol" and "Revolver" are choices.

Sounds like the entire shop is full of idiots that don't know what the hell they are doing......  
Link Posted: 6/16/2017 2:29:05 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Trying to reason further with any of the staff there was like talking to a brick wall. I gave up quickly as I would have been a fool to peruse further. I gathered my things and left.

This begs the question: if they are doing to it correctly, did they fuck up by not enforcing the 10 business day waiting period?  

One would think that if they did not have to enforce the wait then there is no reason to do a pistol transfer. But the brick walls at the counter didn't see it that way.

By the same reasoning, I should be able to slap a pistol tube and 10.5" barrel and be in the clear, but they didn't see it that way either......
View Quote
Their 10 day period was probably something they decided to implement since the wait period for getting the approval of the police/sheriff department.  Technically they should be able to give it to you sooner if the police/sheriff do not respond within a specific time period.  However they look like to add a few more days just in case.

As for the PTF.  I remember a long time ago that I contacted the WA DOL about frames and filling out the Pistol Transfer forms, they said they required it.. though the guy sounded unsure in his voice.  Just the mentioning the frame can be built into a pistol probably caused him to side with the needing to do the form.

Also they should be using the new updated forms.. which was updated last year.  If not they are out of compliance.
Link Posted: 6/16/2017 6:18:08 PM EDT
[#17]
They are not using the new forms?

Hell the BATF notified all of us FFL's of the new forms when they were issued!

I would stay VERY. VERY far away from that FFL in the future.

Link Posted: 6/18/2017 10:35:02 PM EDT
[#18]
Skagit Arms tried to pull this stunt on me...I left it sitting on their counter.
Link Posted: 6/18/2017 11:42:37 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Skagit Arms tried to pull this stunt on me...I left it sitting on their counter.
View Quote
Funny, I bought a lower from Skagit arms a few months ago.

Walked in. Filled out 4473. Paid. Walked out with lower.

It took 15 minuets, and that was because I was browsing the store...
Link Posted: 6/19/2017 6:16:54 PM EDT
[#20]
I tired of Norpoint some time ago, and their overly aggressive rules and attitude.   I blame it on the Lawyers that own/run the place.  Sad, I've been a member there for as long as that building has been there, through all the different owners.   Now I'm a member at Skagit
Link Posted: 6/19/2017 6:57:14 PM EDT
[#21]
Last year I ordered 5 strip lowers online and called the FFL I normally use to let them know they were on the way. He asked if I was going to be registering them as rifles or pistols, told him there was no such thing they are all receivers. We went back and forth a couple times and I let him win and figured I'll just have to walk him through it when I pick them up.
Went to get them a week or so latter and he's all chipper saying I'll start the paperwork on the receivers! Must have brushed up on the law after my call.

I don't mind when someone doesn't know everything about a subject, but when they refuse to listen or look something up themselves I'll cut them off.
Link Posted: 6/19/2017 8:05:34 PM EDT
[#22]
Bill Porter out of Kennewick.
He is the owner of InTacLLC and is an excellent cerakoter.
Recently got his FFL and has awesome prices.
He does a lot of business on the wet side and works through gunsmith Larry Conley in Snohomish who is arguably the best gunsmith I know.
You guys should really check with Bill Porter and Larry Conley if you live up in the north end.
Link Posted: 6/20/2017 12:08:23 AM EDT
[#23]
An annoyance of mine when it comes to the firearms industry. Most everything is in writing, written at about the 9th grade level, and anyone can find it. Yet because some dealers were too hard headed to understand the simple instructions on the 4473, or like one of my old managers never read them, the ATF put it out twice that a receiver is just a receiver. Anyone can go the ATF website and view everything the ATF has published, from the FAQ to their publications of open and news letters. Not much is actually contradictory. Outside of the few well published cases, usually involving the Firearms Technical Branch, the regs and laws, while arbitrary are not capricious. They are pretty damn clear. A long gun (rifle or shotgun) is defined as xxx, a handgun is defined as yyy... if neither fits (and don't read into it... is it meant to be fired from the shoulder or not? At THIS moment, not an hour or even ten seconds from now, but right freaking now!) then it's an "other."
Link Posted: 6/20/2017 12:23:39 PM EDT
[#24]
Not uncommon.  Back when I worked at Wades there was a period when all lowers were to be done as a "Pistol".  Not sure how it's done there now.  Seemed to be a CYA thing.
Link Posted: 6/20/2017 12:49:00 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
An annoyance of mine when it comes to the firearms industry. Most everything is in writing, written at about the 9th grade level, and anyone can find it. Yet because some dealers were too hard headed to understand the simple instructions on the 4473, or like one of my old managers never read them, the ATF put it out twice that a receiver is just a receiver. Anyone can go the ATF website and view everything the ATF has published, from the FAQ to their publications of open and news letters. Not much is actually contradictory. Outside of the few well published cases, usually involving the Firearms Technical Branch, the regs and laws, while arbitrary are not capricious. They are pretty damn clear. A long gun (rifle or shotgun) is defined as xxx, a handgun is defined as yyy... if neither fits (and don't read into it... is it meant to be fired from the shoulder or not? At THIS moment, not an hour or even ten seconds from now, but right freaking now!) then it's an "other."
View Quote
You give most gun dealers way too much credit.  Most of them don't even know what this here "internet" thing is
Link Posted: 6/20/2017 5:33:45 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
View Quote
Yeah, this was the main argument I had, then he brought up some bullshit state mumbo jumbo about having to have LE sign off on it since it COULD be truned into a pistol.

Lesson learned. Drive a little further next time.

Also they charge $40 a transfer.
Link Posted: 6/20/2017 11:11:52 PM EDT
[#27]
I think some businesses use deliberately messed up, or confusing paperwork as a way to discourage people from trying to buy receivers through them again.  If they don't want to process receivers, they would need to do is tell people "we don't want to process those", or learn applicable laws and tell folks,they charge extra processing fees for firearms or receivers they otherwise wouldn't make much money on.  

I really wouldn't expect them to process my receivers without charging me for the paperwork.
Link Posted: 6/20/2017 11:44:28 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Yeah, this was the main argument I had, then he brought up some bullshit state mumbo jumbo about having to have LE sign off on it since it COULD be truned into a pistol.

View Quote
Now I really just want to go up there and try to buy a receiver and see what happens.
Link Posted: 6/20/2017 11:51:52 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Now I really just want to go up there and try to buy a receiver and see what happens.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I don't think they even have lowers in the shop. I could be wrong though.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top