Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/5/2017 7:48:52 PM EDT
So a friend bought a handgun and was told by the shop to come back after 10 days to pick it up, however, when he did the shop told him that its not 10 days but they have to be told ok from the state to allow the transfer, and that can apparently take a lot longer than 10 days.  So 15 days into the wait, still no call.  Whats to stop Washington state from just slowly stringing along gun buyers with longer and longer wait periods?
Link Posted: 6/5/2017 8:08:35 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 6/5/2017 8:23:54 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Why doesn't your friend have a CPL?

9.41.090 and 9.41.092 still apply 10 business days but the dealer may not want to deliver without the notification.
View Quote
His cpl expired by a few months.  He already renewed it but he didn't have it when the gun was purchased.  Ah, 10 business days, we missed that part.
Link Posted: 6/5/2017 9:56:35 PM EDT
[#3]
Yeah, the "business day" thing really throws people off. It is also 10 business days from the date that the LE agency receives the form. So for most shops, it starts the day after you initially signed the paperwork. Also, this ruling impacts NICS delays. Normally the Brady law doesn't prohibit the transfer of a firearm after 3 business days on a NICS delay. Now, until you get a response from NICS, you have to wait the full 10 business days.
Link Posted: 6/6/2017 10:26:26 AM EDT
[#4]
The state needs more money so they can speed things up.
Link Posted: 6/6/2017 10:51:25 AM EDT
[#5]
The first time I bought a pistol I had just turned 21 and was caught by that Business Days trap. Went out and got a CPL right after that, it was the longest two weeks of my life.
Link Posted: 6/6/2017 3:26:35 PM EDT
[#6]
a right delayed is a right denied.
Link Posted: 6/6/2017 7:30:23 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

His cpl expired by a few months.  He already renewed it but he didn't have it when the gun was purchased.  Ah, 10 business days, we missed that part.
View Quote
Many people work Saturday and Sunday; so someone tell me what day is not a WORK DAY!!!  Law needs to keep up with reality
Link Posted: 6/6/2017 7:31:34 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
a right delayed is a right denied.
View Quote
Is not a RIGHT but a PERMISSION!!!
Link Posted: 6/6/2017 9:07:40 PM EDT
[#9]
I only purchased my first pistol without a CPL. IIRC it only took three days thankfully.
Link Posted: 6/7/2017 9:35:24 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Many people work Saturday and Sunday; so someone tell me what day is not a WORK DAY!!!  Law needs to keep up with reality
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

They all want banker hours.
Link Posted: 6/7/2017 1:54:22 PM EDT
[#11]
Probably like Jay Inslee's hours...  I have read he averages under 4 hours a day, so to make 10 REAL business days of Jay Inslee days, that's more than double.  Just call it a calendar month.

Rob
Link Posted: 6/7/2017 2:12:23 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote
A lot of people work on the weekends, but that is still not considered a business days, business days are considered days in which you can do business with Government entities.  In the traditional sense a business day is Monday through Friday unless their is a declared holiday during that time span.

So if you purchase a pistol on Sunday, and the paperwork is submitted on Monday, then the first business day of processing is Tuesday.
Link Posted: 6/9/2017 11:03:20 PM EDT
[#13]
it starts the next business day. you buy on Friday, the 10 bus days start Monday, you buy on the weekend it starts Tuesday. and after 10 business days its the next day you can pickup
Link Posted: 6/12/2017 1:35:17 PM EDT
[#14]
22 Days now.  No  call.  His CPL renewal may come before the "10 day" waiting period is done.
Link Posted: 6/12/2017 2:00:31 PM EDT
[#15]
It's days that state offices are open. Not when the store is, or when 7-11 is. When state offices are open. So no holidays, no weekends.

The dealer "MAY" deliver the pistol after the ten business days have passed... operative word is may. Most don't because of liability issues, especially when they can't guarantee that the police department or sheriff's office actually received the PTA and knows they have it.
Link Posted: 6/12/2017 4:10:14 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
22 Days now.  No  call.  His CPL renewal may come before the "10 day" waiting period is done.
View Quote
Unless the LE agency denies the transfer or puts him on a delay, he can take possession of the firearm after the 10 business days have passed.

RCW 9.41.092

Licensed dealer deliveries—Background checks.

Except as otherwise provided in this chapter, a licensed dealer may not deliver any firearm to a purchaser or transferee until the earlier of:

(1) The results of all required background checks are known and the purchaser or transferee is not prohibited from owning or possessing a firearm under federal or state law; or

(2) Ten business days have elapsed from the date the licensed dealer requested the background check. However, for sales and transfers of pistols if the purchaser or transferee does not have a valid permanent Washington driver's license or state identification card or has not been a resident of the state for the previous consecutive ninety days, then the time period in this subsection shall be extended from ten business days to sixty days.
Link Posted: 6/13/2017 9:44:29 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
a licensed dealer may
View Quote
the only part that's important.

Calling the ATF for a recovery is never fun, and puts the dealer under scrutiny.
Link Posted: 6/13/2017 6:31:26 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

the only part that's important.

Calling the ATF for a recovery is never fun, and puts the dealer under scrutiny.
View Quote
That point can be argued with the dealer. From the sound of it, the purchaser didn't try to talk to the shop about getting his firearm. If the LE department wants to take more than 10 days, they should really put him on a delay and that should be communicated to the purchaser.
Link Posted: 6/14/2017 1:14:57 PM EDT
[#19]
He finally got the call, 24 days is the current "10 day" waiting period in Washington state.
Link Posted: 6/14/2017 2:26:32 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
He finally got the call, 24 days is the current "10 day" waiting period in Washington state.
View Quote
Are you sure he didn't get placed on a delay?

Almost every local LE agency that we deal with either gives us a proceed or a delay within 5-7 business days.

Also, did he even talk to the shop about taking possession of the firearm after the tenth business day?
Link Posted: 6/14/2017 3:09:43 PM EDT
[#21]
That sounds like a delay was in place for a few days, the first thing you should do is communicate with the FFL after the 10 business days to find out what is going, I know FFL's that don't call people when they receive a delay from the LE agency, so it sounds like it was a combination of errors and misconceptions that lead to this situation.  I am sure glad I don't live in WA anymore, we have no waiting period here, but I have dealt with WA situations in the past.
Link Posted: 6/24/2017 12:30:52 PM EDT
[#22]
Should have cancelled the purchase and just went back an re bought it after the CPL came in.
Link Posted: 8/1/2017 10:07:27 AM EDT
[#23]
I bought a pistol without a CPL once, guy gave me a call 3 hrs later and told me to pick it up.

My CPL came in the mail a week or two later.
Link Posted: 8/2/2017 2:11:56 AM EDT
[#24]
Really it depends on a few factors..  Being this late I suspect that the dealer either forgot to fax over the paperwork to the buyer's local sheriff/police station, sent it to the wrong station (up to the dealer to determine which dept to send it into), paperwork got lost (faxes do that), or that FFL just plain forgot/lazy to send it in.

If it were that long, as a dealer, I would have called the police record's department to see what's going on.  Typically it would get cleared up within a day after a call.  Most record department staff are friendly.
Link Posted: 8/2/2017 2:45:59 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Really it depends on a few factors..  Being this late I suspect that the dealer either forgot to fax over the paperwork to the buyer's local sheriff/police station, sent it to the wrong station (up to the dealer to determine which dept to send it into), paperwork got lost (faxes do that), or that FFL just plain forgot/lazy to send it in.

If it were that long, as a dealer, I would have called the police record's department to see what's going on.  Typically it would get cleared up within a day after a call.  Most record department staff are friendly.
View Quote
Jurisdiction is a big one that can throw off the pickup date. Determining what department to send the form to can be very tricky depending on what "city" you live in. For example, in the middle of the Edmonds Police jurisdiction, there is a hole that is technically under Snohomish County Sheriff. Also, if you live in the massive cluster known as Bothell, you fall under 1 of 3 departments, either King County Sheriff, Snohomish County Sheriff, or Bothell Police Dept. It also doesn't help that most shops don't know how to look up the information. I normally go to the County Assessors site and look up the property information, which is pretty accurate as it lists what city taxes you pay.

Link Posted: 8/2/2017 1:57:32 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Jurisdiction is a big one that can throw off the pickup date. Determining what department to send the form to can be very tricky depending on what "city" you live in. For example, in the middle of the Edmonds Police jurisdiction, there is a hole that is technically under Snohomish County Sheriff. Also, if you live in the massive cluster known as Bothell, you fall under 1 of 3 departments, either King County Sheriff, Snohomish County Sheriff, or Bothell Police Dept. It also doesn't help that most shops don't know how to look up the information. I normally go to the County Assessors site and look up the property information, which is pretty accurate as it lists what city taxes you pay.

http://i.imgur.com/hYUZ1Qel.jpg
View Quote
Never thought of looking up the County Assessor's office..  Typically I go look up the the area main dept website.  From there they typically have a map you can find that breaks down the precincts.  Lastly I call the records the dept of the station to confirm and get their fax #.  Truly a pain in the ass..  I just wish the simplified it like how you have to report sales of handguns to the DOL's website via online rather than by mail/fax.
Link Posted: 8/2/2017 3:03:51 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Never thought of looking up the County Assessor's office..  Typically I go look up the the area main dept website.  From there they typically have a map you can find that breaks down the precincts.  Lastly I call the records the dept of the station to confirm and get their fax #.  Truly a pain in the ass..  I just wish the simplified it like how you have to report sales of handguns to the DOL's website via online rather than by mail/fax.
View Quote
Unfortunately, it's not perfect, but it is definitely better than nothing. As long as you know which cities contract out, then you will be fine (ie. Woodinville, Shoreline, Kenmore = King County. North Bend = Snoqualmie PD) I've tried finding information on department websites, but never have any luck. When in doubt, call the Sheriff records department as they will always tell you where to send it. If you call the city, they may tell you that it isn't within their jurisdiction, but they may not tell you who it does fall under.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top