Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/25/2017 11:32:47 PM EDT
If you had to guess, would I need to leave WA for the same reasons in the next 10 years? I've got some good friends in the shooting community/fireams industry up there, but I've already been burned about as much as possible with bad laws and am hoping to avoid a repeat if possible.

Sorry to present this in a slightly accusatory manner towards your great state, but CA has shown me the worst gun laws to date, and I don't think I could bear to watch that happen again.

Thanks for any and all replies.
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 11:54:54 PM EDT
[#1]
There are some advocates of bad gun laws in WA (mostly in Seattle), but then again there are some pro guns here too.  Definitely way better than CA.

A few years ago we got our right back to shoot suppressors (we could own them, but not use them which was stupid).
A couple years ago we got our right back to own SBR.
We are a shall issue state for conceal pistol licenses (CPL)
I believe are a open carry state, but personally I rather conceal.
We do not have a castle doctrine law, however we do not have a duty to retreat.
We can not own is machine guns unless it was grandfathered in or your a FFL/SOT.

Politically (presidential) Washington has been siding with the Democrats (last 8 presidential elections since 1988).
Link Posted: 5/26/2017 12:41:35 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
There are some advocates of bad gun laws in WA (mostly in Seattle), but then again there are some pro guns here too.  Definitely way better than CA.

A few years ago we got our right back to shoot suppressors (we could own them, but not use them which was stupid).
A couple years ago we got our right back to own SBR.
We are a shall issue state for conceal pistol licenses (CPL)
I believe are a open carry state, but personally I rather conceal.
We do not have a castle doctrine law, however we do not have a duty to retreat.
We can not own is machine guns unless it was grandfathered in or your a FFL/SOT.

Politically (presidential) Washington has been siding with the Democrats (last 8 presidential elections since 1988).
View Quote
Thanks for your response Ryo. It is heartening to hear that you guys have made forward progress against poor legislation, but that last sentence is what's got me worried.
Link Posted: 5/26/2017 1:48:08 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Thanks for your response Ryo. It is heartening to hear that you guys have made forward progress against poor legislation, but that last sentence is what's got me worried.
View Quote
I totally understand that statement.  I have the same concerns.  Don't live in Seattle if your progun.  They are antigun by trying to levying taxes, bans, etc..

There are some bills that are antigun submitted into the house/senate every year such as magazine capacity restrictions, etc, but they haven't gotten through.  That always concerns me to see those type of bills floating around.
Link Posted: 5/26/2017 2:03:45 AM EDT
[#4]
Such is why we continue to fight. The fucking moronic libtards of California are coming up here and turning Seattle into SF bay #2.
Link Posted: 5/26/2017 3:36:53 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Such is why we continue to fight. The fucking moronic libtards of California are coming up here and turning Seattle into SF bay #2.
View Quote
I can understand the sentiment. That's why I'm trying to make sure I'm not going to jump out of the fire and into the frying pan.
Link Posted: 5/26/2017 1:50:25 PM EDT
[#6]
We are about 15-20 years behind CA. Maybe less.
Link Posted: 5/28/2017 2:13:56 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View Quote
I'm to the point I cannot imagine retiring in this state any more.  The East side is nice, but it's still governed by King County
Link Posted: 5/28/2017 3:56:44 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote
This. We are losing ground at an increasing rate.
Link Posted: 5/28/2017 4:24:52 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 5/28/2017 4:37:22 PM EDT
[#10]
If you think CA is the worst, you should try NY next
Link Posted: 5/29/2017 1:37:33 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

It could accelerate dramatically.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

A critical special session will be held later this year.  As a result of vacancies that occurred just after the general election last November, several seats are up for what is called “confirmation” to elect the temporary appointees.  There will be special elections this year for five vacated Senate seats and three vacated House seats. 

Control of the Senate rests on the Senate elections.  If the Majority Coalition (24 Republicans and one conservative Democrat) lose a single seat (of the three currently held by Republicans), the Democrats take control of the Senate.  At that time it’ll be a race to see what happens first:  more gun control bills or higher taxes (the race will likely result in a tie, with both passing). 

The three districts with Republican incumbents that need to hold their seats are in the 7th (northeast Washington), 31st (south King/north Pierce counties) and the 45th (north King/south Snohomish counties).  The biggest fight will be in the 45th, and probably also the 31st.  The 7th is a safe Republican district. 

A Primary Election will be held on Tuesday, 1 August.  The General Election is on Tuesday, 7 November.
Well shit. Not good odds.
Link Posted: 6/5/2017 1:58:27 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote
I'm pulling for you guys. Good luck.
Link Posted: 6/5/2017 9:42:52 AM EDT
[#13]
The more gun literate people we can get the better! This cancer will continue to spread east unless we can educate the non-gun owners on how ineffective and stupid all these new laws are. All this cut and run bullshit is doing nothing to stem the tide, it will only keep chasing you.
Link Posted: 6/6/2017 3:30:37 AM EDT
[#14]
In many many ways, washington IS california......it's just behind. Barring a SCOTUS smack down, I am convinced that WA will eventually have most of the same shitty gun laws that CA has. Just a matter of time, which is why I'm looking to move to UT or TX or some other more free state.

Losing the Senate would be bad, but IMO the initiative process is a bigger threat. Seattle will vote in favor of ANY gun control initiative and with the billionaire aholes funding them, they can get the signatures.
Link Posted: 6/6/2017 12:42:57 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
In many many ways, washington IS california......it's just behind. Barring a SCOTUS smack down, I am convinced that WA will eventually have most of the same shitty gun laws that CA has. Just a matter of time, which is why I'm looking to move to UT or TX or some other more free state.

Losing the Senate would be bad, but IMO the initiative process is a bigger threat. Seattle will vote in favor of ANY gun control initiative and with the billionaire aholes funding them, they can get the signatures.
View Quote
we are going to see the same outrageous increases in taxes as well, and the latest push to get income tax in Seattle (regardless of its unconstitutionality) will lead to that being pushed on the rest of the state.

just the other day I was reading this article covering the new push for single-payer state health care in WA modeled on California's latest bill, and they are completely whitewashing the fact that California can not fund it. "we'll only need another $50-100 billion in taxes" they say. how to get that? hmmm.

http://www.seattletimes.com/seattle-news/politics/could-single-payer-health-care-come-to-washington-state-one-lawmaker-wants-to-find-out/?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top