Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/19/2017 7:58:17 AM EDT
Looking for a few firsthand experiences with long range shooting instruction in Washington.

I'm local to Tacoma and usually have weekends off to do as I please.

6.5 creedmoor bug bit me and now I need some training so I don't have to unlearn some bad habits later.
Link Posted: 5/19/2017 9:29:30 AM EDT
[#1]
There are precision/practical rifle matches at Upper Nisqually Sportsman's club on the first saturday of each month.  You don't have to be a member to shoot.  They shoot out to 600 yards from various field type positions as in the PRS series matches.  They have a friendly group that is more than happy to help out new shooters...and matches only cost $20.  There are a couple of guys attending there that teach precision rifle, but I don't know where they hold their classes.  Scott Saterlee often shoots there, and he teaches those types of classes.  Google him and you can find where he teaches.
Link Posted: 5/19/2017 11:03:28 AM EDT
[#2]
Thanks, I'll check that out in June.
Link Posted: 5/19/2017 2:05:58 PM EDT
[#3]
Magpul Core occasionally runs precision rifle classes in Yakima. No personal experience, but I have friends who attended and spoke highly of their DMR course.

If you're willing to travel a bit more, Thunder Ranch in southern Oregon is one of my favorite places in the world... and a great place to learn riflecraft.
Link Posted: 5/19/2017 2:29:25 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
There are precision/practical rifle matches at Upper Nisqually Sportsman's club on the first saturday of each month.  You don't have to be a member to shoot.  They shoot out to 600 yards from various field type positions as in the PRS series matches.  They have a friendly group that is more than happy to help out new shooters...and matches only cost $20.  There are a couple of guys attending there that teach precision rifle, but I don't know where they hold their classes.  Scott Saterlee often shoots there, and he teaches those types of classes.  Google him and you can find where he teaches.
View Quote
I'm not sure a rifle match is the best place to get training though is it? I havent shot that match yet, but I have to assume they are going to give you a full lesson on precision shooting and rather just give a few one off pieces of advice right?
Link Posted: 5/20/2017 2:57:26 PM EDT
[#5]
A buddy of mine took the Magpul Dynamics Precision Rifle 1 course at Yakima back in April 2015.  It was 4 days long, reasonably priced, and overall a great experience.  We stayed in a camper at Sportsman's State Park in Yakima, and drove to the range (about 30 minutes) each morning.  Round count is around 400 +/- 50.  I think Magpul has since rebranded their training division to Magpul Core.  I don't know if or how often they run their course in Yakima.  
Another option would be to check out the instructional videos on The Snipers Hide forums.  I think you have to pay for access but I've heard good things.  Might allow you to be more self-paced without the need for travel to the east side.
Link Posted: 5/21/2017 6:13:17 PM EDT
[#6]
I took the R-Bros rifle class over in Wenatchee, and it was worth every penny!!!  A few of my buddies and I all ponied up the cash to have a private class with Jesse, and Travis Redell.  I think there were 11 of us total.  From the standpoint that I had never shot at a target farther than 400-yards during 3-gun matches, I was pretty much a total novice.  Both Travis and Jesse were very good teachers, and were able to provide our group with fundamentals, as well as advanced techniques in a single day class.  They took us from the zero range, to movers, to sub MOA targets from varying positions at about 250-350 yards, and then after lunch took us back to more positional shooting, movers and barricade work.  At the end of the day we were all shooting the 1000 yard target with consistent hits.  Travis was on the spotting scope, and calling wind and adjustments for us and made it easy.

Fat forward a few weeks later and I shot my first large PRS match at the Karstetter Memorial in Wilbur WA.  Shot at targets from 200 to 1190 from all sorts of crazy places, and positions.  I was able to take the information learned from the RBros class and apply it.  I hit the movers, and the 900+ yard targets in the wind, and I did it without Travis calling wind or corrections much to my surprise.

That class was worth every penny!!!!!

RBros Rifles
Link Posted: 5/22/2017 12:32:39 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I took the R-Bros rifle class over in Wenatchee, and it was worth every penny!!!  A few of my buddies and I all ponied up the cash to have a private class with Jesse, and Travis Redell.  I think there were 11 of us total.  From the standpoint that I had never shot at a target farther than 400-yards during 3-gun matches, I was pretty much a total novice.  Both Travis and Jesse were very good teachers, and were able to provide our group with fundamentals, as well as advanced techniques in a single day class.  They took us from the zero range, to movers, to sub MOA targets from varying positions at about 250-350 yards, and then after lunch took us back to more positional shooting, movers and barricade work.  At the end of the day we were all shooting the 1000 yard target with consistent hits.  Travis was on the spotting scope, and calling wind and adjustments for us and made it easy.

Fat forward a few weeks later and I shot my first large PRS match at the Karstetter Memorial in Wilbur WA.  Shot at targets from 200 to 1190 from all sorts of crazy places, and positions.  I was able to take the information learned from the RBros class and apply it.  I hit the movers, and the 900+ yard targets in the wind, and I did it without Travis calling wind or corrections much to my surprise.

That class was worth every penny!!!!!

RBros Rifles
View Quote
Cool

I know Jesse. Haven't spoken to him in a very long time though.
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 10:12:48 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I'm not sure a rifle match is the best place to get training though is it? I havent shot that match yet, but I have to assume they are going to give you a full lesson on precision shooting and rather just give a few one off pieces of advice right?
View Quote
I understand your point, and if someone has the time, and money training classes are great.  A couple of advantages to a match are that it is only $20, uses around 60-80 rounds, is close by, only one day, and a person learns a lot by watching other shooters.  I learn a lot about what I need to work on at matches, and find new techniques by watching other shooters.  

The guys that shoot those matches are keen on bringing in new shooters because they realize that new blood is the only way to grow the sport.  So they seem to go out of their way to help new shooters.  At last match I attended there, they even allowed new shooters to use a spotter to help them out.  They are under new match directors now, so I am not sure if they still do that or not...I suspect they do.

Having said all that, I have shot with Travis from R-bros, and Scott Satterlee, and classes from either one would be invaluable if someone has the time and money...both guys are really talented.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top