Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/19/2017 5:03:31 PM EDT
Hey Guys, I have a friend who is a Canadian citizen, but has a greencard and is a permanent resident. I'm helping him get into his first gun, is anyone here familiar with the requirements? From my research, the language in the state and federal laws only refer to residents, is there anything else he needs to do through DHS / ICE if he's not a citizen?
Thanks
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 5:56:51 PM EDT
[#1]
I think all he needs is his ID and green card. He can even get a CPL. (I haven't worked at a gun store in a few years so I may be wrong)

The state used to have an alien firearms card or something like that, but they did away with that requirement.

Unless things have recently changed, I don't think ICE or anybody else will be involved.
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 10:24:22 PM EDT
[#2]
He'll need his "US-issued Alien or Admission number (AR#, USCIS#, or 194#) for Question #13 on the 4473.  This should be on his "Green Card".  And he'll need his government issued photo ID with residential address (i.e. driver's license.)

On the 4473, he'd select "Other Country/Countries" and specify "Canada" in the space provided.  Otherwise, he answers all the other questions exactly the same.

Also, in my experience, whenever I've done a check on a non-US Citizen, it always comes back with a "Delay" response.  I also exclusively use E-Check, and I think they used to dump e-check requests to the end of the "further review" queue.  In theory, that no longer happens, the "further review" regardless of initiation type, get in line "first come, first served."  

But I haven't had a non-US citizen buyer in quite a few years (he got his Citizenship a few years ago), so I'm not sure if the NICS response times have changed in that regard.
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 1:11:03 AM EDT
[#3]
Cool, thanks guys
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 9:55:32 PM EDT
[#4]
you're a sneaky little bastage, aint ya...I see right through your plan....

you're going to get this "one lone canuck" hooked on the joys of shooting & next thing ya know, the whole entire northern hemisphere is full of not only gun-toting rednecks, but canucks, too...I like the way you think

Link Posted: 4/21/2017 6:11:26 AM EDT
[#5]
I've got a couple buddies that are permanent residents, I never get a response back it just goes to open. Even buyin a pistol with a cpl, haven't got one back instantly or even an approval, just gotta wait.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top