Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/18/2017 7:48:22 PM EDT
Hello,

I was hoping to inlist your help on ideas for a good week-long trip into WA.  The Mrs. and I are planning on spending the first week of May touring your state. We will be car camping (FJ w/ off-road trailer) but need to limit the hiking to a few miles of fairly easy trails.  Unfortunately my wife was diagnosed with breast cancer last summer. She has undergone chemo all winter and this is what she wants to do in her break between infusions and her upcoming 2x mastectomy in June.

She wants "coastal" but also wants to see the north cascades.  My brother is in Seattle and we plan to spend a few days with him enjoying food that is not available here in MT (hoping her taste buds are back by then).

Looking at the road report on the north cascades, we may be pushing the opening date. I'm hoping we could go over the N. cascades pass on the way west.  We're flexible.  Maybe that will have to happen on the way home.?.  I would like to hit some easy to access old growth stands on the coast as well as take some nice walks on the beach. We've been looking at the San Juan islands or making the loop around the Olympic Peninsula. We are capable of moderate off-roading, if that helps.

If any of you have ideas on a loop to make and sights to see, I'm all ears.

Thanks much.
Link Posted: 3/19/2017 12:45:55 AM EDT
[#1]
I know that chemo robs you of your energy and stamina.  Might I recommend the Ice Caves off of the Mountain Loop highway?  There is camping along the river and a few campgrounds in the general vicinity.  The Verlot ranger station may be able to give some suggestions.  The Ice Caves is a nice level trail with little incline and plenty of rest areas along the way.  it is a very simple hike but with lots to see (waterfalls, trees, rock formations, glacier).  Rather simple but it might be just right to someone who may need a little energy to spare.

http://www.wta.org/go-hiking/hikes/big-four-ice-caves
Link Posted: 3/19/2017 8:48:19 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 3/19/2017 10:13:17 AM EDT
[#3]
http://www.wta.org/go-hiking/hikes/denny-creek
Link Posted: 3/20/2017 8:53:32 AM EDT
[#4]
Thanks for the links guys. The ice caves look sweet. I'm sure she can do that. The six miles to Denny Creek isn't an option at this point.

We're most likely only going to have time for either the San Janus or the Olympic Peninsula. Any thoughts on one vs. the other?

Thanks again.
Link Posted: 3/20/2017 10:33:15 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Thanks for the links guys. The ice caves look sweet. I'm sure she can do that. The six miles to Denny Creek isn't an option at this point.

We're most likely only going to have time for either the San Janus or the Olympic Peninsula. Any thoughts on one vs. the other?

Thanks again.
View Quote
I would say the San Juan Islands, but only because it doesn't involve anything strenuous but it involves the ferries (obviously).   They have some bed-and-breakfasts on the Islands that might make for a nice getaway together.  You do have to pay extra to trailer onto the ferry though.  

You can do a loop of the Olympic peninsula and visit the Hoh rainforest, see some of the towns and coastal cities.  I think there are a few trail hikes from the visitors center there.  You can also drive to the Peninsula to avoid any ferry fees for the trailer.
Link Posted: 3/21/2017 12:02:01 AM EDT
[#6]
If not mentioned already, the Olympic peninsula has a lot of various hiking trails.
Specifically, what I'm thinking is the Lake Cushman area; There's Big Creek CG (USFS) that has it's own trail 1.5 mile loop trail along perimeter of CG, but also has a trail head that connects to longer more challenging trails and trail heads (Mt. Rose trail/trail-head and Mt. Elnor trails).  Just 3mi (or so) down the road is Staircase CG (NPS) that has has a few trails and trail loops of varying distances as well as that "Staircase" attraction itself.
EDIT: (I read the comments again)  I'd vote for the Olympic peninsula, it'd be easier on the wallet.  And since you're not from here, the Olympic peninsula would still be just as new of an experience for you.  You're already mobile, so you could pick up and go somewhere else if you wanted/needed much easier.  Someday I'd like to go over and see the San Juan's, but I keep going camping over on the Oly-Pen..... just seems easier and more accessible (but then again, I'm cheap and introverted)

Good luck to ya, my wife had to go the same journey a couple years ago (I'm so glad & grateful to still have her with me....but damn I miss boobs)
Link Posted: 3/21/2017 1:42:02 AM EDT
[#7]
I would recommend a hike up the Quinalt river in Olympic NP.  Easy, beautiful walk.  Nearby La Push is easy walking access and extremely scenic with numerous conifer dotted small islands just off the coast. A nice beach.  North cascade highway closed till may, check WASDOT for updates.  Lots of beach at Cape Disappoint with numerous historical sites..a wild noisy beach and from there a nice, easy shot to Seattle. Time your arrival on  I5 for non commute times or the weekend for  traffic is unbelievably bad.
Link Posted: 3/21/2017 8:26:30 AM EDT
[#8]
First of all I wish you all the best of luck and that everything goes fine.

The Cascades are an awesome trip and just by itself would take more than a week.  The San Juan islands and the Olympic Peninsula are also other great suggestions.  

As far as food, seafood is great here.

Here's a few links to check and help planning the trip.

Cascade Loop

DOT Cascade Lop maps and suggestions

Backroad Discovery Routes - since you have offroad capability

In the Olympic Peninsula check the Crescent Lake.  Views are fantastic and you can also rent a kayak to enjoy it even more.   If you guys are more into beaches check Ocean Shores.

Olympic Peninsula scenic drive

Enjoy the trip!
Link Posted: 3/22/2017 11:01:50 PM EDT
[#9]
Awesome!  Exactly the types of suggestions I was hoping for.  Thanks gentleman. I'll report back once we decide what we plan to do.

Also, thanks for the well wishes.  Yesterday was the last infusion. A ton of her friends showed up to celebrate. Pretty emotional day. It's nice to know that chapter of the journey is over.

Can't wait to get out and explore some new ground the sees more than 11" of precipitation in a year.
Link Posted: 3/24/2017 7:05:06 PM EDT
[#10]
HWY North Cascades

STATUS UPDATE -
March 21, 2017
5 p.m.

SR 20 remains closed for the winter between mileposts 134 and 178 due to avalanche risk.
The spring reopening work is scheduled to begin April 10.  Clearing work may take as many as 8 weeks which would be the latest since 1974's June 14 reopening.

Sorry about your wife, prayers sent.

There is a metric fukton of snow to clear in the North Cascades, 40 or 50 feet of snow is nothing out of the ordinary, there was 60 feet across the pass one or two years ago.  In fact, a couple years ago, Artist Point, which is the Mt Baker Hwy, WASHDOT said Fk-it, by the time it is clear it will be time to close and they did not open the rd that year, maybe 2013?
Link Posted: 3/24/2017 7:10:58 PM EDT
[#11]
Make sure you go see;

Moran State Park is the fourth largest State Park in Washington State.  With miles of trails accommodating hikers, mountain bikers, and horses in some areas during particular seasons; many camp sites including beautiful lake side spots;  and the tower on the top of Mt Constitution and the three mountain ranges visible from that vista, Moran State Park on Orcas Island is one of the San Juan Islands’ great treasures.   Take a Washington State Ferry to the San Juan Islands and visit Moran State Park on Orcas Island today!

This is on Orcas Island which would be a separate day trip but near San Juan Island.

DO NOT visit the San Juans on Fri/Sat/Sun, if you are pre-Memorial day in MIGHT be OK, and take your car, ferries are drive on!  Walk on really limits you.

Moran
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top