Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 2/19/2017 10:39:38 PM EDT
Is this illegal? Tabs aren't due for a while but the article in the times indicates people are just now figuring out that they actually have to pay for this monstrosity.

My parents live in an area free of the greedy fingers of Sound Transit. WAC 308-56A-030 seems to me to indicate that this might be a gross misdemeanor and a fine of $529. Anyone read it the same? I'm guessing the tax man always gets his money. God damn I hate Seattle.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 1:33:43 AM EDT
[#1]
I rent a place in Edmonds, but I have my car registered at my folks address in Stanwood. Cheaper insurance, and "Permanent" address.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 1:39:41 AM EDT
[#2]
You should be fine honestly.
Years back I had a V8 S10 registered at my buddies parent's house because of the emissions requirements of my town.
I don't think they really look into it, I did it for about 5 years.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 2:59:23 AM EDT
[#3]
I did it the legal way. My dad is a second owner on more than one of my cars for ahem emissions reasons, it has his address. Since he is an owner, it's no problem...
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 12:56:25 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I rent a place in Edmonds, but I have my car registered at my folks address in Stanwood. Cheaper insurance, and "Permanent" address.
View Quote

I know a few people who still use their parents place as their "permanent" address, it has never been a issue, and unless your bringing attention to yourself through one cop it would never be a issue. The same cop ticketing you over and over, in a given time frame would be what it takes to get the ball rolling for the state to figure it out, as you would actually have to be cited for the evasion. One nice thing about " overloaded" state employees.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 1:58:25 PM EDT
[#5]
This is the kind of crime where you would have to turn yourself in and give them a complete papertrail of evidence before they'd consider citing you...
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 2:56:11 PM EDT
[#6]
Not something they generally look at. I knew a guy who lived in Cali for a number of years and plated his vehicle out of state to sidestep the exorbitant, overpriced registration the fucksticks in Cali felt they needed to charge....Ahem...Sorry.

Yeah, fuck the governments who want to fleece people to register their cars. Note that I could see Seattle cracking down on this if is becomes a persistent issue for them. You know the tax man. He may miss one person, but when hundreds or thousands dont pay their "fair share", suddenly they have all sorts of free time to track people down. 

It may also be an easy audit to do. I could see them asking insurance companies to provide a list of all insured residents in an area and bounce those names and vehicles against whats in the DMV database. The fact is this, if you try to cheat on your taxes you better be prepared to pay the price. I speak from experience. I still encourage people to do it though. 
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 4:21:23 PM EDT
[#7]
I just looked at the map, and I'm three lots.. three fucking houses.. inside the boundary for this shit.

Fuck ST.  Fucking worthless people and a worthless lighrail.  Yeah, I'm sure my Mill Creek-to-Redmond commute is getting a train right away
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 5:34:16 PM EDT
[#8]
I've found a better way to beat the RTA tax:  Buy a pickup truck with a curb weight over 6,000 lbs!

That's right!  A truck that weighs more than 6,000 lbs is not subject to RTA tax, only a "weight" fee.  Of course, I get doubly screwed with my Tacoma, because pickup trucks under 6,000 lbs pay both RTA AND weight fees.  Motherfuckers......

The right 3/4T truck configurations make that threshold from the Big 3, and I think every 1T ton does regardless of configuration.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 9:00:22 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I've found a better way to beat the RTA tax:  Buy a pickup truck with a curb weight over 6,000 lbs!

That's right!  A truck that weighs more than 6,000 lbs is not subject to RTA tax, only a "weight" fee.  Of course, I get doubly screwed with my Tacoma, because pickup trucks under 6,000 lbs pay both RTA AND weight fees.  Motherfuckers......

The right 3/4T truck configurations make that threshold from the Big 3, and I think every 1T ton does regardless of configuration.
View Quote

Problem there is they keep raising their tonnage fees, we have two one tons and their license fees keep going up, but their value down!?!
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 10:03:07 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Not something they generally look at. I knew a guy who lived in Cali for a number of years and plated his vehicle out of state to sidestep the exorbitant, overpriced registration the fucksticks in Cali felt they needed to charge....Ahem...Sorry.

Yeah, fuck the governments who want to fleece people to register their cars. Note that I could see Seattle cracking down on this if is becomes a persistent issue for them. You know the tax man. He may miss one person, but when hundreds or thousands dont pay their "fair share", suddenly they have all sorts of free time to track people down. 

It may also be an easy audit to do. I could see them asking insurance companies to provide a list of all insured residents in an area and bounce those names and vehicles against whats in the DMV database. The fact is this, if you try to cheat on your taxes you better be prepared to pay the price. I speak from experience. I still encourage people to do it though. 
View Quote

I agree its not something they generally look at. At least in the past. If my math if correct the RTA tax went up 367%. That's a lot of potential money for them.

In my internet search for answers I found out that there's somewhat of an industry for people in California to register their exotic cars in Montana under an LLC. I think New Mexico has a similar favorable environment. I found out the problem is getting insurance for a car that's registered to an out of state LLC but driven in another state.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 11:23:59 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Problem there is they keep raising their tonnage fees, we have two one tons and their license fees keep going up, but their value down!?!
View Quote

Yeah, the weight fee is a little screwy, but $93 is still less than the new $110 minimum RTA tax.

I just wonder why the fee schedule looks like this:
WEIGHT SCHEDULE A SCHEDULE B
4,000 pounds. $ 53.00. $ 53.00
6,000 pound $ 73.00. $ 73.00
8,000 pounds. $ 93.00. $ 93.00
10,000 pounds. $ 93.00 $ 93.00
12,000 pounds. $ 81.00. $ 81.00
14,000 pounds $88.00 $88.00
16,000 pounds $100.00. $100.00
It goes up until 8,000 lbs, stays level to 10,000 lbs then goes DOWN until 16,000?

I think you can specify the weight you want to pay, so if you can, pick a heavier weight fee. I need to call and fix mine, because they are charging me for 8,000 lbs on my Tacoma (max 5,450).
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 11:55:08 AM EDT
[#12]
Only thing that I could think of that may get you looked at twice is if your address on your license and registration and insurance don't match.  If all three have you "permanent" address of your parents place you should be GTG.  then again what do I know.
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 12:17:57 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Yeah, the weight fee is a little screwy, but $93 is still less than the new $110 minimum RTA tax.

I just wonder why the fee schedule looks like this:
WEIGHT SCHEDULE A SCHEDULE B
4,000 pounds. $ 53.00. $ 53.00
6,000 pound $ 73.00. $ 73.00
8,000 pounds. $ 93.00. $ 93.00
10,000 pounds. $ 93.00 $ 93.00
12,000 pounds. $ 81.00. $ 81.00
14,000 pounds $88.00 $88.00
16,000 pounds $100.00. $100.00
It goes up until 8,000 lbs, stays level to 10,000 lbs then goes DOWN until 16,000?

I think you can specify the weight you want to pay, so if you can, pick a heavier weight fee. I need to call and fix mine, because they are charging me for 8,000 lbs on my Tacoma (max 5,450).
View Quote

Are they figuring in the weight of the vehicle, as well as the load? Say your truck weighs say 7000 vehicle plus 1000 for your capacity? Shit I don't know, I've never actually looked into it as I have to pay it anyway. My 2 semis run 105500, so I just write the check
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 12:20:52 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Only thing that I could think of that may get you looked at twice is if your address on your license and registration and insurance don't match.  If all three have you "permanent" address of your parents place you should be GTG.  then again what do I know.
View Quote

Why change any? If it's a necessaty I'd leave the car and insurance as one, and your DL as where you live, or not? I can't think of why they'd actually need to know unless of emergency then you could just have a address card for emergency's in your wallet and glovebox separately.
Link Posted: 2/22/2017 7:44:39 PM EDT
[#15]
Register Cars in a Trust. Use chosen address for trust. I am sure someone here knows a thing or two about trusts holding "property"
Link Posted: 2/22/2017 9:27:48 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote

At times, when titling a purchased vehicle or paying my registration in Pierce (when I worked in Tacoma & lived in Yelm), I have been asked to show proof-of-residency in Thurston... They are really hot-to-get anyone they can revenue wise...

Also really bothersome when you have to pay sales-tax at 'full market value' for a broke-ass vehicle you bought to fix up or as a 'beater', even though the law says they are supposed to take obvious damage into consideration...
Link Posted: 2/23/2017 3:23:05 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I just looked at the map, and I'm three lots.. three fucking houses.. inside the boundary for this shit.

Fuck ST.  Fucking worthless people and a worthless lighrail.  Yeah, I'm sure my Mill Creek-to-Redmond commute is getting a train right away
View Quote

Dam you! I was going to call and see if I can put my car at your place.

Link Posted: 2/24/2017 12:01:19 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

At times, when titling a purchased vehicle or paying my registration in Pierce (when I worked in Tacoma & lived in Yelm), I have been asked to show proof-of-residency in Thurston... They are really hot-to-get anyone they can revenue wise...

Also really bothersome when you have to pay sales-tax at 'full market value' for a broke-ass vehicle you bought to fix up or as a 'beater', even though the law says they are supposed to take obvious damage into consideration...
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You can ask for a affidavit for proof of value, I done it a few times, just for that reason. They will act dumb, or that they don't have it or know what your talking about, but they have one, but like said above they want every last penny.
Link Posted: 2/24/2017 12:06:34 PM EDT
[#19]
The state might not look to hard at the real legal residency of drivers but I know that insurance companies will. 
Link Posted: 2/24/2017 12:12:56 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
The state might not look to hard at the real legal residency of drivers but I know that insurance companies will. 
View Quote

You can contact your agent and have it that you work here, but go home to your permant residence on weekends and when not necessary to be there. Then you use your parents or another address. People with 2nd homes do it all the time, there are a few people I know who work over there, have a residence here, and then they make this place their main even though their not here most of the time.
Link Posted: 2/24/2017 2:22:54 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

You can ask for a affidavit for proof of value, I done it a few times, just for that reason. They will act dumb, or that they don't have it or know what your talking about, but they have one, but like said above they want every last penny.
View Quote

You can also get a quote for a new engine or transmission or something to show that it needs repairs, if they wont budge, go title it at another office. I used to think they were mostly being fair until they tried to rape me on one truck I bought saying it was worth 5x what I had literally just paid for it a couple hours before. Went down to Firestone, got a quote for the most expensive tires they had, a full brake job including new calipers, fluid, master cyl, the works..... took the quotes in and they taxed me on what I actually paid.
Link Posted: 2/24/2017 2:26:33 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

You can also get a quote for a new engine or transmission or something to show that it needs repairs, if they wont budge, go title it at another office. I used to think they were mostly being fair until they tried to rape me on one truck I bought saying it was worth 5x what I had literally just paid for it a couple hours before. Went down to Firestone, got a quote for the most expensive tires they had, a full brake job including new calipers, fluid, master cyl, the works..... took the quotes in and they taxed me on what I actually paid.
View Quote

Yes, but we're not supposed to know these little things, it keeps money in your wallet and not theirs. I bought a Mastecraft boat, and their value was way more than paid, I tried the well this is what I paid and they said well this is the value, their supposed to tax it on what you paid not what they want, long story short, I have a friend who owns a shop, the boat needed a new motor and v drive, they went with what I paid which was still more than the repairs were. Hindsight I should have used that amount and claim I was ripped off.
Link Posted: 2/25/2017 2:14:10 AM EDT
[#23]
The single most looked-at item is the address on your WDL. Change that and the world will buy you a Coke. And sell you a trainless registration...
Link Posted: 2/25/2017 2:53:10 AM EDT
[#24]
Heh speaking of this thread, my F150 renewal just showed up, went from 77 to 127.... Seeing if I can get them to drop me down a bracket on the gross weight since the sticker says 6000... Maybe I need to add my dad on to the rest of my vehicles.

I swear I'm renewing another vehicle every couple months, this sucks.
Link Posted: 2/25/2017 1:04:03 PM EDT
[#25]
12 blocks outside of the boundary. Otherwise it will be $2000 more in tab tax

ETA: actually more like $3000 more
Link Posted: 2/25/2017 1:16:21 PM EDT
[#26]
we used to have 4 vehicles. our daily drivers, the old jeep and the old truck.

i got tired of paying so much for something i didn't drive much - pickup was gone.

id thought to get another and just get a use permit when i wanted to drive it,  more trouble than it's worth but would save a lot of money.
Link Posted: 2/25/2017 4:52:23 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
This is the kind of crime where you would have to turn yourself in and give them a complete papertrail of evidence before they'd consider citing you...
View Quote

Until thousands of people magically move from King and Snohomish counties to somewhere outside the line and the coffers start feeling light.

Then we'll need a task force!  And more taxes to fund them!
Link Posted: 2/26/2017 11:50:12 AM EDT
[#28]
This year for the first time I did not pay for that State Parks donation in my cars' tabs.  They already got too much money.  Figure out how to use it.
Link Posted: 2/26/2017 1:16:48 PM EDT
[#29]
Is there a map of they affected areas available?
Link Posted: 2/26/2017 4:05:21 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Is there a map of they affected areas available?
View Quote

http://rtamaps2.soundtransit.org/st_determineaddress.html?_ga=1.259772746.1977962679.1488139411
Link Posted: 2/26/2017 8:20:17 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Are they figuring in the weight of the vehicle, as well as the load? Say your truck weighs say 7000 vehicle plus 1000 for your capacity? Shit I don't know, I've never actually looked into it as I have to pay it anyway. My 2 semis run 105500, so I just write the check
View Quote

This should be charged based on GVWR, so the max weight your vehicle is rated to carry. Only logical way to do it...

I know, I know... Logic has no place in liberal politics...
Link Posted: 2/26/2017 11:10:16 PM EDT
[#32]
I'm not sure how I sit on this. I just bought my tabs last week but they only went up eighteen dollars due to the weight fee. I didn't get the big hit all my friends are talking about and I'm in Tacoma.
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 1:44:07 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
I'm not sure how I sit on this. I just bought my tabs last week but they only went up eighteen dollars due to the weight fee. I didn't get the big hit all my friends are talking about and I'm in Tacoma.
View Quote

Mine went from $100 to almost $130.  For the first time I refuse to donate the $5 to the State Parks.
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 1:22:16 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Mine went from $100 to almost $130.  For the first time I refuse to donate the $5 to the State Parks.
View Quote

I quit donating to parks when I came to the realization that I was already being charged to do the things I already do. Want to go to Capital forest? Pay the man. Want to launch your boat? Pay the man.Want to fish or hunt? Pay the man........Would you like to donate $5 to parks and recreation?..........Um..no.....I'm good.
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 4:23:04 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

I quit donating to parks when I came to the realization that I was already being charged to do the things I already do. Want to go to Capital forest? Pay the man. Want to launch your boat? Pay the man.Want to fish or hunt? Pay the man........Would you like to donate $5 to parks and recreation?..........Um..no.....I'm good.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This is how I feel, than I have to get a parking permit on top of the other fees. I quit giving to the parks when their budgets were tied to the general fund. Used to be they stood on their own, now we have fewer parks needing more work, with less money. Two here were consolidated, and their still going down the shitter, they have even leased out the golf course with so many conditions it's tuned to shit. I remember when the parks were stand alone and were great places to go, now their a joke. I have a friend who's recently retired as a ranger and he told me not to give the $5.00, they wouldn't ever see it anyway.
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 11:18:57 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

This is how I feel, than I have to get a parking permit on top of the other fees. I quit giving to the parks when their budgets were tied to the general fund. Used to be they stood on their own, now we have fewer parks needing more work, with less money. Two here were consolidated, and their still going down the shitter, they have even leased out the golf course with so many conditions it's tuned to shit. I remember when the parks were stand alone and were great places to go, now their a joke. I have a friend who's recently retired as a ranger and he told me not to give the $5.00, they wouldn't ever see it anyway.
View Quote
Yes they are. Parks, DNR lands, whatever the state owns.....
The guys on the ground and out in the bush try but it's clear that no one in Olympia gives a shit and probably has their job as a parting gift for sucking Inslee's cock.

The outdoors is the only thing this state has left and even that is getting fucked up by misplaced state priorities. You'd figure that the liberal tards that enjoy their day hike areas would help us out but nope. 
But, I'll also say that I've seen some head-scratching shit in National Forest lands around here as well. Fucking shame. 
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 11:39:24 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
The guys on the ground and out in the bush try but it's clear that no one in Olympia gives a shit and probably has their job as a parting gift for sucking Inslee's cock.

The outdoors is the only thing this state has left and even that is getting fucked up by misplaced state priorities. You'd figure that the liberal tards that enjoy their day hike areas would help us out but nope. 
But, I'll also say that I've seen some head-scratching shit in National Forest lands around here as well. Fucking shame. 
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

We can't take care of our natural resources and beauty it gets in the way of all the liberal freebies, drug houses, endless entitlements, and illegal sanctuarys.
Link Posted: 2/28/2017 5:45:21 PM EDT
[#38]
the other problem with the 'just buy a 1 ton truck' is that they cost like $50k+ these days. steep price to avoid some taxes...especially when sales taxes on $50k is also a ton of cash.
Link Posted: 2/28/2017 6:58:21 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
the other problem with the 'just buy a 1 ton truck' is that they cost like $50k+ these days. steep price to avoid some taxes...especially when sales taxes on $50k is also a ton of cash.
View Quote

Depends on what you "need" on the truck I suppose.

Here's a 2017 Chevy quad cab long bed 4x4 for $37k:
http://www.goodchev.com/VehicleDetails/new-2017-Chevrolet-Silverado_3500HD-Double_Cab_Long_Box_4_Wheel_Work_Truck-Renton-WA/2922120223

Weight fee will cost you $88 ($12,000 lbs.)
RTA tax on similarly priced 1500 version of this truck will cost you $407 AND the $93 weight fee (8,000 lbs.)

But if you want a diesel, and leather, and all the "luxury" stuff in a truck, yeah they cost north of $50k
Link Posted: 3/1/2017 11:11:46 AM EDT
[#40]
and the sales tax on $37k is...? Not to mention the mpg in a gas powered 1 ton rig. Yikes. Might be cheaper to relocate.
Link Posted: 3/1/2017 3:11:11 PM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 3/1/2017 5:35:16 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Wonder what happened to all the monorail money they got from the $5 we were charged each time we registered our cars a few years ago.
View Quote

You bought a safe house to shoot drugs at. Sheesh.
Link Posted: 3/1/2017 9:54:17 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View Quote
Buy a safe house?
Not in Seattle. No fucking way Seattle is paying market prices even for shit holes. Just eminent domain that shit. The city loves flexing it's administrative muscles.

You'd figure with all the shitting on that Seattle residents get from the city that they would vote to clean house. Nope.

Just watched some chick at Jones Soda complain about the Mayor's proposed soda tax. Laughed the entire time because she probably voted for Murray and all of his bullshit. Fuck her and fuck Seattle/King County/most of this state.
Link Posted: 3/1/2017 10:35:41 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Buy a safe house?
Not in Seattle. No fucking way Seattle is paying market prices even for shit holes. Just eminent domain that shit. The city loves flexing it's administrative muscles.

You'd figure with all the shitting on that Seattle residents get from the city that they would vote to clean house. Nope.

Just watched some chick at Jones Soda complain about the Mayor's proposed soda tax. Laughed the entire time because she probably voted for Murray and all of his bullshit. Fuck her and fuck Seattle/King County/most of this state.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Buy a safe house?

Yes, are not they providing a safe place for addicts to use? So our taxes bought a safe house, and Amen brother about the idiots. I just read this am that Seattle millineals are outraged because now they can't ever afford to buy a car let alone a house with how high the taxes are with more coming. I about broke down and cried with joy.
Link Posted: 3/21/2017 10:26:03 PM EDT
[#45]
So typical seattle aka King County.  

If you are poor we'll let you slide.  EVERYONE ELSE PAY UP Naow!      

How do I apply for I'm too poor?
Link Posted: 3/22/2017 11:03:25 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
So typical seattle aka King County.  

If you are poor we'll let you slide.  EVERYONE ELSE PAY UP Naow!      

How do I apply for I'm too poor?
View Quote
Just wait a couple years if that, they will tax you into the poor house.
Link Posted: 3/22/2017 8:36:04 PM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 10:37:02 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Oh it was way worse than that in Seattle we had to pay a special fee on our tabs.  All said and done when they finally closed it down they had less than $500k left.  Total waste of tax payer money was ~ $125 million 30+ properties seized.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Wonder what happened to all the monorail money they got from the $5 we were charged each time we registered our cars a few years ago.
Oh it was way worse than that in Seattle we had to pay a special fee on our tabs.  All said and done when they finally closed it down they had less than $500k left.  Total waste of tax payer money was ~ $125 million 30+ properties seized.
So their not expanding it then?
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 11:23:08 AM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 5:16:23 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
There's going to be a vote on it. 
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
So their not expanding it then?
There's going to be a vote on it. 
I don't keep up on what failure is going on or about to go on, so seriously, are you serious?
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top