Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/7/2017 11:42:56 PM EDT
I will be starting a new job and will need a pair of steel toe shoes. What do you guys like and where would be a good local selection. I live in Auburn. Looking for comfort.
Link Posted: 2/8/2017 12:23:09 AM EDT
[#1]
My Thorogood steel toes are very comfortable.  I couldn't begin to tell you where to find them in auburn though.
Link Posted: 2/8/2017 12:37:13 AM EDT
[#2]
From what I see here at SWFPAC Bangor the most popular steel toes are the Keens.  Whistle Workwear has a big selection and good prices.

We get a $200 allowance and I bought some big leather boots for the wharf, then they told me I wouldn't be working the wharf.  I went back and bought some Keens.  

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/8/2017 1:17:14 AM EDT
[#3]
in my experience stay away from China boots and you'll be much better off. 

danner-red wing, they all have usa and China lines. 

some people want cheap, some want quality.  you get what you pay for.
Link Posted: 2/8/2017 12:11:27 PM EDT
[#4]
I wear red backs every day and do a ton of walking and they are great.  they are designed for the fire service but anyone can wear them.  Mine are 2 years old and still going strong.  I got mine at a uniform shop in Seattle but they are available online I'm sure.
Link Posted: 2/8/2017 3:22:45 PM EDT
[#5]
Two things I learned not to skimp on early in my railroad career: Footwear and rain gear.

I have really come to appreciate Red Wing 2292 logger boots (very supportive, warm, waterproof and long lasting but heavy) and more recently Timberland PRO Helix boots (lighter weight and more comfortable while being adequately supportive, warm and water resistant). Timberlands seem to have a reputation for being very comfortable.

But really, the issue is too subjective for a single solution. It depends on what you are doing, where you are doing it and whole lot of personal preference. I would want a different boot for walking around on a concrete or steel floor in a manufacturing environment than I would for working on course aggregates along railroad tracks. And I have a different pair of safety boots to wear in a business casual office/conference room type of environment where I may need to occasionally step out into the field.

Someplace like Whistle Workwear will let you buy a pair that you initially like, wear them around the house for a week or so and return them if you aren't satisfied with how they are feeling.
Link Posted: 2/8/2017 8:52:43 PM EDT
[#6]
Thanks for the help. I should have been more detailed about the use. It will be in a warehouse on a concrete floor for 8 hours day.
Link Posted: 2/9/2017 2:14:28 PM EDT
[#7]
If Danner is your thing, there is a Danner storefront in Renton, in The Landing area. You can try stuff on at least before comparing online. I'm told the deals are good, but have never tried it myself. They are very popular with my coworkers.
Link Posted: 2/9/2017 2:50:10 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 2/10/2017 2:24:19 AM EDT
[#9]
Sounds like you need comfort and toe protection.

The only thing that ever stuck out in my mind for toe protection using steel-toed boots is:  IF the toe gets crushed, it won't spring back...it'll just CRUSH your toes and stay there.

The composite or whatever construction that isn't steel won't just crush and cut.

When I thought about a BUS rolling over my boots...I quit wearing the steel-toed Redwings I got on my uniform voucher.  

Now I just wear 'nimble' shoes so I can get 'out' the way.  
Link Posted: 2/10/2017 7:08:44 PM EDT
[#10]
Red Wing boots, make sure to break them in though.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top