Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/5/2017 6:37:18 AM EDT
Hey guys, I don't really know how best to share this on ARFcom, but I made a <link removed Phil_in_Seattle, please see my post below about fundraisers needing approval>

I spoke before the House Judiciary Committee on Thursday, and while NRA is definitely taking things seriously this time around, I know that a lot of people are deeply skeptical of them for having been caught flat-footed on I-594.  Additionally, the Facebook donations function recognizes SAF as a non-profit, so I'm trying to start shaking some trees.  If nothing else, I saw that unless we organize, fundraise, prepare, and educate, the anti-gun folks are going to have the inevitable ballot initiative in the bank.

The good news:  We're the side with the advantage of the passion gap.  And this time, we have a better idea about how the initiative fight is going to go down.  Additionally, I have to point out that even though the collective pro-gun side was outspent by a margin of, like, twenty to one, I-594 still only passed with 59% of the vote.  We don't necessarily have to outspend them, but we do need to spend.  Which means we need to start coughing up money.
Link Posted: 2/5/2017 12:48:17 PM EDT
[#1]
Thanks for spearheading this, and thanks for attending the hearing and getting a chance to speak. I was signed up to testify as well, but was not called. There were 53 people/panels signed up to speak against HB1387, and 18 signed up to speak for it.   The "con" side was a much higher percentage in attendance, I just hope that factors into the committee's decision making process.

But you are right, the bigger fight will be the initiative that is surely to be filed when this bill fails (hopefully) to get traction in the legislature.
Link Posted: 2/5/2017 4:59:27 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks for setting this up - and for going down and speaking.  Chipped in a few bucks.  FWIW - I was the guy thanking you the day before you drove down to Oly to speak.
Link Posted: 2/5/2017 5:37:42 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Hey guys, I don't really know how best to share this on ARFcom, but I made a fundraiser.

I spoke before the House Judiciary Committee on Thursday, and while NRA is definitely taking things seriously this time around, I know that a lot of people are deeply skeptical of them for having been caught flat-footed on I-594.  Additionally, the Facebook donations function recognizes SAF as a non-profit, so I'm trying to start shaking some trees.  If nothing else, I saw that unless we organize, fundraise, prepare, and educate, the anti-gun folks are going to have the inevitable ballot initiative in the bank.

The good news:  We're the side with the advantage of the passion gap.  And this time, we have a better idea about how the initiative fight is going to go down.  Additionally, I have to point out that even though the collective pro-gun side was outspent by a margin of, like, twenty to one, I-594 still only passed with 59% of the vote.  We don't necessarily have to outspend them, but we do need to spend.  Which means we need to start coughing up money.
View Quote
What is that based on?

If the NRA doesn't step up to the plate this time around, they will never get another penny from me.

Thanks for organizing this OP. I don't do the FB, but once things get a little more clear I will definitely be donating to help fight this AWB.
Link Posted: 2/5/2017 7:38:18 PM EDT
[#4]
Was SAF at the Legislative hearing the other day? I know a lot of folks didn't get a chance to speak.
Link Posted: 2/6/2017 3:16:12 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
What is that based on?

If the NRA doesn't step up to the plate this time around, they will never get another penny from me.

Thanks for organizing this OP. I don't do the FB, but once things get a little more clear I will definitely be donating to help fight this AWB.
View Quote

Washington is one of only a handful of states that has a dedicated state-specific rep.  Oregon, Idaho, Montana, and Alaska all share a single rep.  Washington has one assigned specifically to our state.  We also had an NRA lobbyist and two other NRA officials here specifically for this hearing.  They're trying not to make the same mistakes that they did with 594.

Somebody has to start something.  I've been trying to get a state-level FFL organization off the ground, but I've been floundering.  I figured that this was the best I could do on short notice until something meatier comes together.  Please, spread the word and get involved.  We can beat this thing.
Link Posted: 2/6/2017 3:16:45 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Was SAF at the Legislative hearing the other day? I know a lot of folks didn't get a chance to speak.
View Quote

I didn't see Alan at the hearing, but I can't say definitively that they weren't there.  I'd be surprised if they were not.
Link Posted: 2/6/2017 3:00:58 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

I didn't see Alan at the hearing, but I can't say definitively that they weren't there.  I'd be surprised if they were not.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I figured, just asking the question.

Thanks for setting this up and for speaking to the committee.
Link Posted: 2/6/2017 5:17:26 PM EDT
[#8]
I am here to get involved, contribute and help. I don't currently use FB, so if there is another way to get engaged - I'm in.

Quoted:

Washington is one of only a handful of states that has a dedicated state-specific rep.  Oregon, Idaho, Montana, and Alaska all share a single rep.  Washington has one assigned specifically to our state.  We also had an NRA lobbyist and two other NRA officials here specifically for this hearing.  They're trying not to make the same mistakes that they did with 594.

Somebody has to start something.  I've been trying to get a state-level FFL organization off the ground, but I've been floundering.  I figured that this was the best I could do on short notice until something meatier comes together.  Please, spread the word and get involved.  We can beat this thing.
View Quote
Link Posted: 2/6/2017 11:22:10 PM EDT
[#9]
Has SAF released anything regarding these proposed bills?
Link Posted: 2/7/2017 1:44:53 PM EDT
[#10]
Thanks!
+1
Link Posted: 2/7/2017 7:54:21 PM EDT
[#11]
I use Amazon Smile to donate to SAF. A portion (don't know how much) of my purchases goes to SAF.
Link Posted: 2/9/2017 1:42:00 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I am here to get involved, contribute and help. I don't currently use FB, so if there is another way to get engaged - I'm in.
View Quote

I quit FB as a huge waste of time. I would like to donate to this though. Might be worth selling a few car parts even. I think one of the biggest ways to do this is to get all the people outside of 3 counties to get out and vote, if it gets to the polls.

We also need to figure out how to get rid of Furgdoucherson! Not only for his antics now, but down the road.

I really hope the NRA gets into this, just bought another 5 year membership.
Link Posted: 2/9/2017 11:48:32 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 2/9/2017 11:50:43 AM EDT
[#14]
Fundraisers need Approval
Link Posted: 2/9/2017 11:59:12 AM EDT
[#15]
to add clarification
Link Posted: 2/9/2017 12:00:00 PM EDT
[#16]
Clarification Added
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top