Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/4/2017 5:01:12 PM EDT
Howdy,

After many Google searches I haven't found all the answers to my questions on this topic.

I plan on building an AR pistol from a stripped lower that I'll be buying from an FFL new.

1) My understanding is that the stripped lower will be transferred as "other" on 4473.  As far as I can determine building a pistol from a lower transferred as "other" is perfectly legal in Washington state, correct?

2) I seem to recall Rainier Arms would sell stripped lowers marked as pistol and required the CPL paperwork to be filled out for the lower, which I assume they were marking "pistol" vs "other" on 4473.  Is getting a lower txfrd as "pistol"  recommend(possible?) when building an AR pistol in Washington?

3) Any issues with CCW'ing a AR pistol I built from a stripped virgin lower transferred as "other"? I assume it is fine as it would be like any other "pistol" I purchased before I-594 or moved here with and simply The DOL does not have a copy of its purchase.

Thanks,
sao
Link Posted: 2/4/2017 5:12:33 PM EDT
[#1]
1.Yes
2. No. See #1
3. No.
Link Posted: 2/4/2017 7:42:29 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
1.Yes
2. No. See #1
3. No.
View Quote

Thanks!
Link Posted: 2/5/2017 5:25:05 AM EDT
[#3]
The state doesn't even want the Pistol Transfer Application forms for what are almost always pistol receivers. Like a Glock or 1911 frame. There used to be a box for "receiver or frame only," but that's been gone a while. The DOL will send the form back to the dealer saying it's not needed, and have let dealers know that it's not needed.
Link Posted: 2/6/2017 2:00:32 AM EDT
[#4]
last time I bought stripped lowers from surplus ammo in tacoma they marked some pistol and some rifle and made me do the appropriate pistol paperwork.
Link Posted: 2/6/2017 2:31:52 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Howdy,

After many Google searches I haven't found all the answers to my questions on this topic.

I plan on building an AR pistol from a stripped lower that I'll be buying from an FFL new.

1) My understanding is that the stripped lower will be transferred as "other" on 4473.  As far as I can determine building a pistol from a lower transferred as "other" is perfectly legal in Washington state, correct?

2) I seem to recall Rainier Arms would sell stripped lowers marked as pistol and required the CPL paperwork to be filled out for the lower, which I assume they were marking "pistol" vs "other" on 4473.  Is getting a lower txfrd as "pistol"  recommend(possible?) when building an AR pistol in Washington?

3) Any issues with CCW'ing a AR pistol I built from a stripped virgin lower transferred as "other"? I assume it is fine as it would be like any other "pistol" I purchased before I-594 or moved here with and simply The DOL does not have a copy of its purchase.

Thanks,
sao
View Quote

'Pistol Marked' lowers are more-or-less a gimmick. 
The only legal requirement, is that the lower has never been assembled into a rifle prior to your building it in pistol configuration.
Once it has been built as a pistol *once*, it can have a stock & 16"(+) barrel attached to it - then taken off & put back in pistol config (you can go from originally-a-pistol, to rifle, back to pistol legally (so long as the gun is never in an illegal configuration in-between). You cannot go from originally-a-rifle to pistol without making it an AOW/SBR/what-have-you)....

Thus the fun-and-games with this-or-that dealer & 'pistol paperwork' can be avoided by just not buying a lower marked 'pistol'. 
Link Posted: 2/7/2017 12:39:39 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
last time I bought stripped lowers from surplus ammo in tacoma they marked some pistol and some rifle and made me do the appropriate pistol paperwork.
View Quote

Was this recently? Because they did it wrong, on page 5 of the paperwork it says receivers are to be marked other, regardless if it's a rifle or pistol receiver. I had to convince the last FFL I went through also a few weeks back. I think before 08 or so it was registered as pistol or rifle, but that is long gone.
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 3:03:04 AM EDT
[#7]
Any place that makes you do a pistol transfer application for any receiver is stupid and needs to learn to read the damn instructions on the 4473, and maybe even the open letters and newsletters the ATF puts out because some people are just too stupid to understand simple English.
Pet peeve of mine are dealers who don't bother to read the forms they are filling out, or to ever ask their compliance agent (who is there for a reason) and instead make shit up or only understand half of what is on paper.
Like the places that still do this, even after the DOL said not to.
The state used to allow you do do the pistol transfer application for receivers, but as I said earlier they don't want them even for Glock frames. I have a copy of the email from the DOL about it saved on my work email.
Or the places that require a piece of mail in addition to a military ID and PCS orders (getting things mixed up). the Servicemember, not a family member, and even then it would need to be first class mail from a government agency not just "mail."
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top