Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/25/2017 4:57:42 PM EDT
I just got an e-mail informing me that Olympic Arms will cease all operations on Feb 28 2017.....anybody hear whats going on?
Link Posted: 1/25/2017 5:11:56 PM EDT
[#1]
I just got the email, too.  Came here to see what's up.  Maybe GlobeMaster will know, as I know he's friends with Tom.  Sad to see it.  My first AR was an OA carbine.
Link Posted: 1/25/2017 5:22:40 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I just got the email, too.  Came here to see what's up.  Maybe GlobeMaster will know, as I know he's friends with Tom.  Sad to see it.  My first AR was an OA carbine.
View Quote

I've not heard from Globemaster for sometime..used to see him at work.
Link Posted: 1/25/2017 7:23:37 PM EDT
[#3]
Bob still alive?  Still own it?

He has to be 90.

Where is ductapeman?
Link Posted: 1/25/2017 8:33:02 PM EDT
[#4]
Watching-- and waiting.
Link Posted: 1/25/2017 11:40:12 PM EDT
[#5]
hey I'm still around guys, and I know just about as much as you guys do (so far); and as you all know, yes I'm a bigtime Olympic Arm's fan, and I have been for quite a few years now; and I was really taken by surprise, and rather shocked to read the email this afternoon ... it's sad to see this happen to a local homegrown family business.
Link Posted: 1/25/2017 11:58:44 PM EDT
[#6]
Sad to hear.

I stopped buying oly stuff in 2004ish, maybe it got better, but still I hate to see a manufacturer close their doors.
Link Posted: 1/26/2017 12:04:01 AM EDT
[#7]
Bob is still around as far as I know, he sold the business to his son and daughter.

I really like my Olympic arms ML2, and my Schuetzen Gunworks 1911 that was a custom Caspian build in 9x23 Win.  Wonder if those will go up in value? ??
Link Posted: 1/26/2017 1:01:23 AM EDT
[#8]
I wonder if Tweak will finally tell his stories of when he worked at Olympic Arms.  
Link Posted: 1/26/2017 1:02:52 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I just got an e-mail informing me that Olympic Arms will cease all operations on Feb 28 2017.....anybody hear whats going on?
View Quote

You should change the topic title to "Olympic Arms closing down on Feb 28 2017".  
Link Posted: 1/26/2017 5:41:58 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
hey I'm still around guys, and I know just about as much as you guys do (so far); and as you all know, yes I'm a bigtime Olympic Arm's fan, and I have been for quite a few years now; and I was really taken by surprise, and rather shocked to read the email this afternoon ... it's sad to see this happen to a local homegrown family business.
View Quote

Was wondering where you have been, hope all is well.  Sorry to hear about Oly.

Sir James...
Link Posted: 1/26/2017 8:26:31 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

You should change the topic title to "Olympic Arms closing down on Feb 28 2017".  
View Quote

Link Posted: 1/26/2017 11:16:32 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I wonder if Tweak will finally tell his stories of when he worked at Olympic Arms.  
View Quote

Many of us have heard those stories.
Link Posted: 1/26/2017 2:49:05 PM EDT
[#13]
Haven't really heard much talk from or about OA in years, good or bad. Sounds like they have probably been in a slow decline for a while now. With the AR market as saturated as it has become, it doesn't come as any surprise to see some of the players bowing out. They almost certainly won't be the last. It wouldn't surprise me to see Colt go through another bankruptcy.
Link Posted: 1/26/2017 5:07:26 PM EDT
[#14]
Not surprised, I emailed them a few months ago and still haven't gotten a reply
Link Posted: 1/26/2017 5:35:34 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Haven't really heard much talk from or about OA in years, good or bad. Sounds like they have probably been in a slow decline for a while now. With the AR market as saturated as it has become, it doesn't come as any surprise to see some of the players bowing out. They almost certainly won't be the last. It wouldn't surprise me to see Colt go through another bankruptcy.
View Quote

It has been one year since the last one, so they are probably due sometime in late 2017, maybe 2018......
Link Posted: 1/26/2017 8:35:07 PM EDT
[#16]
Globemaster,

Check your PMs.  I lost your number and want to chat about SHOT Show!
Link Posted: 1/27/2017 7:48:45 PM EDT
[#17]
What a bummer. Oly really broke new ground on all kinds of products and always took great care of me when I had an issue.
Hell, even on 20 year old SGW stuff.

Better make a run down, I still have one of their 9 mm pistols. Could change it out to a colt style I guess but I kinda like the sten setup.
Link Posted: 1/27/2017 8:52:23 PM EDT
[#18]
are they blowing out pistol kits yet?
Link Posted: 1/28/2017 12:48:18 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
are they blowing out pistol kits yet?
View Quote

I'm going to make a run down there this week and see whats what. I'd imagine there will be some deals to be had but who knows.
Link Posted: 1/29/2017 11:35:02 PM EDT
[#20]
So what is J&S going to sell at the gun shows?  
Link Posted: 2/17/2017 12:07:02 AM EDT
[#21]
someone on another forum board received this email in regards to their recent order from Olympic Arms; as they ordered up a few small parts (springs and clips) for their 9mm pistol caliber AR15.

Note from Olympic Arms: Your order is very important to us, and we are grateful for your patronage. We wanted to take a moment to clarify our situation. Your order is being processes in the order that it was received. Due to the pending closure of Olympic Arms, Inc. under its current ownership on February 28, 2017, and the fluid nature of any acquisition by a new ownership group, we cannot guarantee that this order will be filled. To be clear, your credit card is not being billed at this time. The credit card system will verify your billing information and "pre-authorize" the purchase. This will put a temporary hold on your funds. In 2-3 days this temporary hold will go away. If your order CAN be filled, we will happily do so, and manually bill your card at that time. In other words, your funds will not be secured until we ship your order. Due to the ever changing inventory levels, and the number of orders already in the queue, we cannot give ANY estimates as to when or IF your order will ship. This is regrettable and we apologize for what we consider poor customer service, but under the circumstances of our closing and possible reacquisition, we really have no other choice and hope you respond with patient understanding. NO DELIVERY ESTIMATES WILL BE GIVEN. If you see the actual charge show up on your bank statement, youll know the product is on its way. Should the situation change so that your order can be filled at a later date under new ownership, you will be contacted and given every opportunity to move forward with your order. Thank you for giving us the opportunity to serve you in these times of transition.
View Quote
Link Posted: 2/18/2017 12:22:54 PM EDT
[#22]
I went down there about a week and a half ago and it appeared to be business as usual. Nothing marked down, same old pricing. Rumor has it that the guy buying the place is from Texas and may or may not reopen. This is just a rumor though. I have no idea if there is any truth to it.
Link Posted: 2/18/2017 6:43:50 PM EDT
[#23]
copy that ... interesting
Link Posted: 2/18/2017 11:02:13 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 2/18/2017 11:48:36 PM EDT
[#25]
I suspect the downward pressure on rifle prices ($400-$500 for a fully functional rifle), is squeezing margins for some manufacturers. Those that aren't up to managing that environment are feeling the pressure. With Oly being a 2nd generation family business, I wouldn't be surprised that the current family members aren't up to it, or that interested.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 9:27:37 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I suspect the downward pressure on rifle prices ($400-$500 for a fully functional rifle), is squeezing margins for some manufacturers. Those that aren't up to managing that environment are feeling the pressure. With Oly being a 2nd generation family business, I wouldn't be surprised that the current family members aren't up to it, or that interested.
View Quote

This is one gun business I'm kinda glad to see go, most of the stuff I've seen from them years ago was shit. Then their building the 7.62x39 pistol that cost us the importation of cheap Chinese 7.62x39, showed or I should say simply proved they could give two shits about gun owners, but were about profit over anything else. I say good riddance, Karma she always gets you in the end.
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 6:29:43 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

This is one gun business I'm kinda glad to see go, most of the stuff I've seen from them years ago was shit. Then their building the 7.62x39 pistol that cost us the importation of cheap Chinese 7.62x39, showed or I should say simply proved they could give two shits about gun owners, but were about profit over anything else. I say good riddance, Karma she always gets you in the end.
View Quote

While I understand your point, I don't agree that blaming Oly Arms for a .gov action makes sense. Terry Cates of the ATF was behind that. They banned importation of steel tip ammunition in 7.62x39 because they could, but failed (and tried) to ban similar domestic M855 green tip that can be legally shot in an AR platform pistol.   There is no major difference I can see.   I understand the political effects of actions, but should firearms manufacturers be driven by the thought that one of their products might make someone in .gov unhappy?
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 6:48:10 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

While I understand your point, I don't agree that blaming Oly Arms for a .gov action makes sense. Terry Cates of the ATF was behind that. They banned importation of steel tip ammunition in 7.62x39 because they could, but failed (and tried) to ban similar domestic M855 green tip that can be legally shot in an AR platform pistol.   There is no major difference I can see.   I understand the political effects of actions, but should firearms manufacturers be driven by the thought that one of their products might make someone in .gov unhappy?
View Quote

Yes, but they banned importation. Only Arms was warned that if they build and sell a pistol that shoots 7.62x39, they will stop the importation of Chinese steel core ammo as it can defeat police body armor. There is a federal law to that specific that was in Klintons crime bill I believe? I may be wrong there. I do remember when this all went down, I've got a friend who worked for the BATFE back then before he transferred to the FBI. He actually hated being there as he was always seen as the bad guy, imagine that?? He could not believe how all that transpired and went down, when only submitted it, they were told that would happen and went ahead and built it anyway.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top