Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/17/2017 3:59:59 PM EDT
i am looking to buy a car not far from Seattle and then drive it back home to CT, my only issue is registration.  the CT DMV only gives you a temp tag if you have the title, I won't have the title till after I buy it.

is it possible for me to get a temp tag from Washington state with my current CT license?
Link Posted: 1/19/2017 1:11:26 AM EDT
[#1]
maybe you could get the owner of the vehicle to buy a 3 day trip permit the day you purchase it. Then it would be licensed for the drive back, and you could transfer the title into your name when you got home
Link Posted: 1/19/2017 3:11:33 AM EDT
[#2]
Washington DMV will issue temporary trip permits for this type of situation.

http://www.dol.wa.gov/vehicleregistration/trippermits.html

It will be valid to get you back to CT.

They will issue you up to 3 trip permits if needed, if you can't get home in 3 days, you should also be able to stop in other states to purchase trip permits along the way.

Most states offer temporary trip permits.
Link Posted: 1/19/2017 8:52:25 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Most states offer temporary trip permit.
View Quote
i moved here from Ohio and had never heard of them. 
Link Posted: 1/19/2017 3:55:05 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
i moved here from Ohio and had never heard of them. 
View Quote

When I was stationed in Washington DC, I purchase a truck in WA state and was able to secure a permit in every single state I traveled through When needed, but with WA issuing up to 3 trip permits, you don't have to date and sign them the day you purchase, you can sign and date it when you need to on the way home.

Ohio Temporary 72 hour Trip Permit Process:

http://www.bmv.ohio.gov/vr-irp-72hr.aspx

If I were to do it again, from the West Coast to the East Coast, I would just plan my quickest route and purchase the permits from WA DMV
Link Posted: 1/19/2017 8:05:42 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

When I was stationed in Washington DC, I purchase a truck in WA state and was able to secure a permit in every single state I traveled through When needed, but with WA issuing up to 3 trip permits, you don't have to date and sign them the day you purchase, you can sign and date it when you need to on the way home.

Ohio Temporary 72 hour Trip Permit Process:

http://www.bmv.ohio.gov/vr-irp-72hr.aspx

If I were to do it again, from the West Coast to the East Coast, I would just plan my quickest route and purchase the permits from WA DMV
View Quote

I believe thats for commercial motor vehicles.

They very well may have one now, but 20 years ago when I moved here it was unheard of.
Link Posted: 1/19/2017 8:50:03 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

I believe thats for commercial motor vehicles.

They very well may have one now, but 20 years ago when I moved here it was unheard of.
View Quote

20 years ago?

Really?

It has been 17 years since I did my cross country purchase and I didn't have any trouble finding permits to get home, just kept my title with me and didn't drive crazy, never got stopped, but if I had, I had the paper work to back up the purchase.
Link Posted: 1/20/2017 1:03:31 AM EDT
[#7]
Read your link.

It said for vehicles that do not have apportionment. That's a bingo card for otr trucks.

Further it said carriers.  Carriers are trucking companies.  Not people with cars.

Ohio very well may have one now-  they didn't used to and that link is not one.
Link Posted: 1/20/2017 1:11:25 AM EDT
[#8]
they didn't have one in 2012 either according to gd

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_1_5/1374336_Ohio__Buying_a_used_car__How_to_drive_home_with_no_plates_.html
Link Posted: 1/20/2017 1:43:58 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
they didn't have one in 2012 either according to gd

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_1_5/1374336_Ohio__Buying_a_used_car__How_to_drive_home_with_no_plates_.html
View Quote

Okay, it is really not a big deal to me, as I said, he can buy 3 permits in WA and 9 days is more than enough time to get it back east.

Some of you guys are simply amazing.

I am not planning on taking an unlicensed car through the state of Ohio anytime in the future, so it is no skin off my nose.  And guess what, he didn't say he was going through Ohio!

Hope the guy gets his car home.  His best bet if going through the state of Ohio, would be to call the Ohio License Dept, explain what is going on and they can tell him what to do.

But I am absolutely sure that GD is the authority on this and many other subjects!!!!!

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top