BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 1/9/2017 7:32:49 PM EDT
can an ag do that?

wtf?

eta linkhttp://www.seattletimes.com/seattle-news/politics/ag-bob-ferguson-unveils-assault-weapons-ban-and-a-backup-plan/
Link Posted: 1/9/2017 8:06:54 PM EDT
[#2]
I don't own any assault weapons and if I did I would sure as hell have no problem going to some of the bad ass "featureless" offerings out there.
Link Posted: 1/9/2017 9:30:39 PM EDT
[#3]
Theory of incrementalism.  Ignorance of what an 'assault weapon' truly is does not stop anti-gun people from trying to ban semi-automatic modern sporting rifles.  Californification.  Start contacting your representatives!

SFC out.
Link Posted: 1/9/2017 9:58:14 PM EDT
[#4]
We have to start stomping this fire out now! Or else next year it will be an initiative pushed through with billionaire bucks like 594, and extreme protection orders.
Link Posted: 1/9/2017 10:09:22 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 1/9/2017 11:18:40 PM EDT
[#6]
WHAT. THE. FUCK.

Fergie is trying to clean house on this one... everything but the kitchen sink... annual Assault Weapons Licenses, CLEO approval, safe-storage requirements... Hoping to take effect July 1, 2017...
Link Posted: 1/9/2017 11:34:24 PM EDT
[#7]
Definitely need to quash this ASAP.  With a concerted effort we may be able to kill it at the committee level.  Given the recent successes with supressors and SBRs it is at least possible.  Likely need to at least let it get introduced and then hit the letter writing in force.  Certainly there are many pro 2A folks in the senate and house, but it will still take some effort to quash it.

A good start would be to remind the AG that generating legislation isn't his primary mission.  Interpreting and enforcing yes, drafting no.

RCW 43.10.030
General powers and duties.
The attorney general shall:
(1) Appear for and represent the state before the supreme court or the court of appeals in all cases in which the state is interested;
(2) Institute and prosecute all actions and proceedings for, or for the use of the state, which may be necessary in the execution of the duties of any state officer;
(3) Defend all actions and proceedings against any state officer or employee acting in his or her official capacity, in any of the courts of this state or the United States;
(4) Consult with and advise the several prosecuting attorneys in matters relating to the duties of their office, and when the interests of the state require, he or she shall attend the trial of any person accused of a crime, and assist in the prosecution;
(5) Consult with and advise the governor, members of the legislature, and other state officers, and when requested, give written opinions upon all constitutional or legal questions relating to the duties of such officers;
(6) Prepare proper drafts of contracts and other instruments relating to subjects in which the state is interested;
(7) Give written opinions, when requested by either branch of the legislature, or any committee thereof, upon constitutional or legal questions;
(8) Enforce the proper application of funds appropriated for the public institutions of the state, and prosecute corporations for failure or refusal to make the reports required by law;
(9) Keep in proper books a record of all cases prosecuted or defended by him or her, on behalf of the state or its officers, and of all proceedings had in relation thereto, and deliver the same to his or her successor in office;
(10) Keep books in which he or she shall record all the official opinions given by him or her during his or her term of office, and deliver the same to his or her successor in office;
(11) Pay into the state treasury all moneys received by him or her for the use of the state.
Link Posted: 1/10/2017 1:00:05 AM EDT
[#8]
We had better watch out for this slimey ratfuck.

I have seen him on "Jesse Jones", he's done some good things as AG, you can't deny that.

However, I think this guy's long term goal is to become the next governor of the state.
He'll trot out his failed "assault weapons ban" as a selling point for his election race.

We need to stomp this shit to the ground and stop him dead in his tracks right fucking now!
Link Posted: 1/10/2017 1:06:31 AM EDT
[#9]
This fucking state is two-three years behind in entering the background checks for handgun sales into their database, this would become another such clusterfuck.
Link Posted: 1/10/2017 1:13:14 AM EDT
[#10]
Fuck you Bob Ferguson, you piece of shit.
Link Posted: 1/10/2017 3:51:27 AM EDT
[#11]
FBF!
Link Posted: 1/10/2017 5:48:09 AM EDT
[#12]
Fuck turd Ferguson. This pos took an oath and now he's shitting all over it.

Thanks Seattle.
Link Posted: 1/10/2017 4:20:48 PM EDT
[#13]
Sorry guys, but they're getting exactly what they want.  Good people like me fixing to leave this state over stupid shit like this.  I wouldn't comply with licensure, nor any other part of that law.  I sure as fuck won't choose to be a lawbreaker, so in that case I'm leaving this shit hole.
Link Posted: 1/10/2017 7:09:09 PM EDT
[#14]
Want to see why this state is lost? Check out our local "WA Guns" sub-reddit on Reddit.

https://www.reddit.com/r/WA_guns/comments/5n0px2/awb_mag_ban_registration_and_safe_storage/
Link Posted: 1/10/2017 7:20:24 PM EDT
[#15]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Sorry guys, but they're getting exactly what they want.  Good people like me fixing to leave this state over stupid shit like this.  I wouldn't comply with licensure, nor any other part of that law.  I sure as fuck won't choose to be a lawbreaker, so in that case I'm leaving this shit hole.
View Quote

This. I'm right on the border with OR, being a Vancouverite, so if WA goes to shit I'm selling my house and renting in OR until I get the promotion I need to enable me to move to UT or TX. At this point, WA is only a destination for liberals, so short of a massive conservative breeding program, we're going to be outnumbered in this state until the end of time. Better to move to a state the libs are trying to 'turn blue'.
Link Posted: 1/10/2017 7:42:45 PM EDT
[#16]
So who is the best person to write letters too?
I'm sure telling the AG to do his job and not others won't be productive, but there has to be someone who will be more receptive.
Link Posted: 1/10/2017 8:26:03 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
So who is the best person to write letters too?
I'm sure telling the AG to do his job and not others won't be productive, but there has to be someone who will be more receptive.
View Quote

Write your senator and reps.
Link Posted: 1/10/2017 9:54:41 PM EDT
[#18]
Neither bill will pass in the senate so they are dead on arrival. They "may get a hearing" in the house, so I'll be there to testify.  

As someone else mentioned, the danger is having this head to the initiative process next year.
Link Posted: 1/10/2017 10:11:57 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Neither bill will pass in the senate so they are dead on arrival. They "may get a hearing" in the house, so I'll be there to testify.  

As someone else mentioned, the danger is having this head to the initiative process next year.
View Quote

Dangerous for sure.  I do believe if something this terribly restrictive heads our way via initiative that we would see a much bigger/more effective effort to counter.

Could be wrong.
Link Posted: 1/10/2017 10:28:05 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View Quote

I certainly hope youre right. You were the spearhead for suppressors and SBRs, I know you have contacts in oly so please keep us informed.

Thanks again for all you did and are doing.
Link Posted: 1/10/2017 10:54:30 PM EDT
[#21]
The initiative process will be the death of the this state.  

Oh yeah 35 dollar car tabs!  Fuck yeah!     How's that working out for you?    

Now that these assholes have figured out how to make an initiative, guns will not even be allowed to be held soon.
Link Posted: 1/11/2017 12:19:06 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
can an ag do that?

wtf?

eta linkhttp://www.seattletimes.com/seattle-news/politics/ag-bob-ferguson-unveils-assault-weapons-ban-and-a-backup-plan/
View Quote

I would think an AG authored "bill" would be DOA in a court challenge on the basis of it not originating from the legislature, which has exclusive constitutional authority to draft laws in the state.  But then, WA SC seems to get away with cherry picking...
Link Posted: 1/11/2017 12:33:45 AM EDT
[#23]
FL is facing AWB this session also.

That said, I have a feeling this will be used by AG Ferguson as a run on the Governors mansion when he says 'Look at all I tried to do, and partisan politics stopped us from these "common sense" measures' and then we will have another ballot initiative.
Link Posted: 1/11/2017 3:09:23 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Dangerous for sure.  I do believe if something this terribly restrictive heads our way via initiative that we would see a much bigger/more effective effort to counter.

Could be wrong.
View Quote
And you'll be fucked. Do you somehow think that our side has the resources to muster up a campaign bigger than 594? Shit, 1491 went through with barely a whimper. Who are the pro-gun billionaires that we can lean on like the other side has? I can't name one. The NRA might have a war chest to pull from but Bezos, Bloomberg or the Gates Foundation can probably match that with the money under the cushions.

You could get every eligible voter (which would never happen. 85% would even be a huge ask for a non presidential election) to vote no for this piece of shit initiative but King County will destroy all of your efforts. You can't overcome that liberal cushion.

If you heard Bill Bryant on Todd Herman's show yesterday, he talked about how the suburbs out in Kirkland, Issaquah, and Bellevue cost him the election despite him doing extremely well in the rest of the state.
The traditional "soft" Republican vote wasn't there based on Trump polling worse than Romney out there and downballot candidates took it in the twins thanks to perceived connection to Trump.

The rest of the state wanted change. King County didn't and here we are. 8 billion in potential taxes hanging over our heads, a property tax increase that isn't going to roll back as promised, and a "nuclear" scorch the earth assault weapons ban.

We're well fucked. I'm not a lawbreaker nor will I ask that Law Enforcement turn their heads at potential lawbreakers. We can either head for the roof (but that won't happen over this just like it didn't in California, New York, etc.) or we can all make better lives in other states. Idaho, Utah, and Arizona are on my short list.
Link Posted: 1/11/2017 4:17:01 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View Quote

I would be surprised if he doesn't have the initiative campaign already queued up. As we saw with 594, this will be very difficult to beat.
Link Posted: 1/11/2017 4:25:36 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
And you'll be fucked. Do you somehow think that our side has the resources to muster up a campaign bigger than 594? Shit, 1491 went through with barely a whimper. Who are the pro-gun billionaires that we can lean on like the other side has? I can't name one. The NRA might have a war chest to pull from but Bezos, Bloomberg or the Gates Foundation can probably match that with the money under the cushions.

You could get every eligible voter (which would never happen. 85% would even be a huge ask for a non presidential election) to vote no for this piece of shit initiative but King County will destroy all of your efforts. You can't overcome that liberal cushion.

If you heard Bill Bryant on Todd Herman's show yesterday, he talked about how the suburbs out in Kirkland, Issaquah, and Bellevue cost him the election despite him doing extremely well in the rest of the state.
The traditional "soft" Republican vote wasn't there based on Trump polling worse than Romney out there and downballot candidates took it in the twins thanks to perceived connection to Trump.

The rest of the state wanted change. King County didn't and here we are. 8 billion in potential taxes hanging over our heads, a property tax increase that isn't going to roll back as promised, and a "nuclear" scorch the earth assault weapons ban.

We're well fucked. I'm not a lawbreaker nor will I ask that Law Enforcement turn their heads at potential lawbreakers. We can either head for the roof (but that won't happen over this just like it didn't in California, New York, etc.) or we can all make better lives in other states. Idaho, Utah, and Arizona are on my short list.
View Quote

As pessimistic as I am about the political winds in WA, let's not forget that lib turn out in off year elections generally sucks...So it's POSSIBLE that we could beat an initiative on the ballot in 2018. I think the left knows this and will wisely mark 2020 on the calendar. That is when all the libtards will be FIRED UP to beat trump and they WILL go to the polls. An AWB initiative would be almost a sure thing then. That gives us 3 years to get ready, and 4 years to bail if necessary.
Link Posted: 1/11/2017 8:53:02 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View Quote

Why Utah?  I hear it's a very uncomfortable state to be in if you're not Mormon.

Could agree on Idaho, but feel on shaky ground with Arizona.  Wish I could live somewhere coastal, however options have all but run out.

Shitty future we face.
Link Posted: 1/11/2017 9:48:29 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View Quote

And knowing how fraud is rampant on the electoral system here in WA we can already see how it will go.

Only way to fix this State's corruption is via some external audit and maybe a Federal intervention.  Other than that it's a waste of time.
Link Posted: 1/11/2017 9:56:35 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

As pessimistic as I am about the political winds in WA, let's not forget that lib turn out in off year elections generally sucks...So it's POSSIBLE that we could beat an initiative on the ballot in 2018. I think the left knows this and will wisely mark 2020 on the calendar. That is when all the libtards will be FIRED UP to beat trump and they WILL go to the polls. An AWB initiative would be almost a sure thing then. That gives us 3 years to get ready, and 4 years to bail if necessary.
View Quote

If liberal democrats do not vote personally the vote "counters" will vote for them.   The electoral system in this State is as corrupt as it can be.   Not different than some little African dictatorship.
Link Posted: 1/11/2017 2:23:51 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Fuck you Bob Ferguson, you piece of shit.
View Quote

Double Fuck!
Link Posted: 1/11/2017 2:37:06 PM EDT
[#31]
Chatted with Brian Blake today.  Ferguson needs a legislator to sponsor his bills.  

On the up side, A number of pro-gun bills were introduced concerning concealed pistol licenses, as well a bill to abolish the pistol registry.
Link Posted: 1/11/2017 2:57:53 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Why Utah?  I hear it's a very uncomfortable state to be in if you're not Mormon.

Could agree on Idaho, but feel on shaky ground with Arizona.  Wish I could live somewhere coastal, however options have all but run out.

Shitty future we face.
View Quote
Utah is mainly because of the homogeneous nature of their politics. They are at least 10 years or so behind the liberal cancer spreading through the West. You can see cracks opening up especially in SLC but either way, it'll stable for a while.

I've got no beef with Mormons and actually have some pretty good insight on the church from several friends that are/were Mormons.

It's not as bad as long as you respect where they're coming from. Just like the Muslims.
Link Posted: 1/11/2017 3:07:28 PM EDT
[#33]
Senate Bill 5050

House Bill 1134

The enemy has a name now.  Senate Bill 5050, and House Bill 1134.  This is the AWB.  you can track bills by signing up.  That will let you know when hearings are coming up.<p style="text-align:right"></p>
Link Posted: 1/11/2017 4:41:48 PM EDT
[#34]
Soooooooooo

Is it time to panic buy????
Link Posted: 1/11/2017 4:46:18 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Soooooooooo

View Quote

"Panic Buy" all you want, but the laws, as proposed, will require you to report all of it when you apply (and hopefully get approved) for your "Assault Weapons" license.

Now is the time to write/call/speak to your elected representatives, your relatives who aren't gun enthusiasts so they know what a baloney-sandwich this proposed stuff is, your liberal co-workers, etc. We all like to joke about Ghost Guns, the shoulder-thingy that pops up, etc. But the minority pushing for this, scare the uninformed middle-ground (that comprise the majority) and that is why we lose.

After always being on the defensive, it gets old after a while. Our state can't balance a budget, can't pay its employees and in my opinion, has bigger problems than the creation of systems and registries we can't even afford as it is. 3 people were killed last year in 1 incident, so for all this grandstanding and "Save the children!" smoke that Ferguson is blowing up everyone's asses, now is the time to *DO* something about it.

But yeah, panic buy if you want.
Link Posted: 1/11/2017 5:07:58 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

"Panic Buy" all you want, but the laws, as proposed, will require you to report all of it when you apply (and hopefully get approved) for your "Assault Weapons" license.
View Quote
Id think a call to Nolo would be proper,  for a person with standing. 
Link Posted: 1/11/2017 5:24:46 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Chatted with Brian Blake today.  Ferguson needs a legislator to sponsor his bills.  

On the up side, A number of pro-gun bills were introduced concerning concealed pistol licenses, as well a bill to abolish the pistol registry.
View Quote

Thats good news, but is there any chance of WA legislature ever enforcing the extremely strong 2nd Amendment the WA Constitution had? Up to this point, its more like the WA State "suggestion list", except when libtards need to push some bullshit legislation through.
Link Posted: 1/11/2017 5:29:11 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View Quote

A bill to abolish the pistol registry?  Happen to know which # that is?  I'm looking but can't find it.

http://search.leg.wa.gov/search.aspx#document

HOUSE BILL 1015 is interesting, it makes it so publicly held facilities (nor the people who rent or lease it out) cannot prohibit CPL holders from carrying.  Specifically calling out stadiums.  Basically a bill to allow carrying at NFL+NBL games.
Link Posted: 1/11/2017 7:49:36 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Soooooooooo

View Quote
I thought I was done panic buying 
Link Posted: 1/11/2017 8:40:46 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Now is the time to write/call/speak to your elected representatives, your relatives who aren't gun enthusiasts so they know what a baloney-sandwich this proposed stuff is, your liberal co-workers, etc. We all like to joke about Ghost Guns, the shoulder-thingy that pops up, etc. But the minority pushing for this, scare the uninformed middle-ground (that comprise the majority) and that is why we lose.

After always being on the defensive, it gets old after a while. Our state can't balance a budget, can't pay its employees and in my opinion, has bigger problems than the creation of systems and registries we can't even afford as it is. 3 people were killed last year in 1 incident, so for all this grandstanding and "Save the children!" smoke that Ferguson is blowing up everyone's asses, now is the time to *DO* something about it.

But yeah, panic buy if you want.
View Quote
I imagine it doesn't apply on the Reservations.
Link Posted: 1/12/2017 3:17:28 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
View Quote

I doubt that's much of an issue these days. I've heard some say that some neighbors might not want much to do with you after they find out you're not LDS ...and I took that as a huge "pro" in my pro/con analysis. Hell, I might even put a sign up in the front yard or something. I'm moving there for freedom, and the things that some people dislike Utah for (LDS shunning, alky laws, and lack of "nightlife") are all juuust fine with me in light of the positives. I'm happily married and don't drink sooo, yeah. I'll go ahead and keep my guns and WA can have the tyranny, Seattle, democrats, pot, alky, and all the other crap that ya get here.
Link Posted: 1/12/2017 9:49:37 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Looks like it has sponsors now

Sponsors: Frockt, Ranker, Kuderer, Wellman, Saldaña, Liias, Darneille, Chase, Cleveland
Link Posted: 1/12/2017 11:19:02 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

A bill to abolish the pistol registry?  Happen to know which # that is?  I'm looking but can't find it.

http://search.leg.wa.gov/search.aspx#document

HOUSE BILL 1015 is interesting, it makes it so publicly held facilities (nor the people who rent or lease it out) cannot prohibit CPL holders from carrying.  Specifically calling out stadiums.  Basically a bill to allow carrying at NFL+NBL games.
View Quote

Pistol registry bill
Link Posted: 1/19/2017 7:43:36 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Thats good news, but is there any chance of WA legislature ever enforcing the extremely strong 2nd Amendment the WA Constitution had? Up to this point, its more like the WA State "suggestion list", except when libtards need to push some bullshit legislation through.
View Quote

Link Posted: 1/19/2017 8:10:07 PM EDT
[#45]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://cdn.meme.am/cache/instances/folder835/500x/74866835.jpg

Serious question: What about the state constitution makes folks think it is extremely 2A strong?

I've seen this mentioned a number of times, and don't understand if there's some case history or other interpretations that have happened in the past that have given folks reason to think this. Certainly nobody can think that with our current slate of WA Supreme Court judges that the wording in the state's constitution about RTKBA would be interpreted any differently than it has been in other states that have taken away gun rights (particularly CA).
Link Posted: 1/20/2017 3:48:09 PM EDT
[#46]
View All Quotes

Thank you! That is amazing! I bet it will go completely under the radar IF they take action on it. I hope it doesn't just die because nobody is paying attention.  Email time.  This should be getting a ton of attention on this subforum.

Edit:
Quoted:

Serious question: What about the state constitution makes folks think it is extremely 2A strong?

I've seen this mentioned a number of times, and don't understand if there's some case history or other interpretations that have happened in the past that have given folks reason to think this. Certainly nobody can think that with our current slate of WA Supreme Court judges that the wording in the state's constitution about RTKBA would be interpreted any differently than it has been in other states that have taken away gun rights (particularly CA).

It specifically calls out an individual right to self defense.  Before the Heller decision people liked to argue that the 2A did not do so (they still do but now they're clearly wrong).  So for our purposes it was considered stronger.  From that wording the state supreme court has decided we have no duty to retreat, creating an inherent castle doctrine type setting without an actual statute.  So in theory if the legislature tried to pass a duty to retreat it would be ruled unconstitutional, whereas the 2A doesn't really speak to USING the arms, just bearing and keeping them.  I would argue bearing is meant to include transporting AND using, but lawyers will twist it to be just "holding them in your hands at some point in time, preferably in a locked windowless room in your basement only".
Link Posted: 1/22/2017 12:40:32 PM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 1/22/2017 3:51:28 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

This. I'm right on the border with OR, being a Vancouverite, so if WA goes to shit I'm selling my house and renting in OR until I get the promotion I need to enable me to move to UT or TX. At this point, WA is only a destination for liberals, so short of a massive conservative breeding program, we're going to be outnumbered in this state until the end of time. Better to move to a state the libs are trying to 'turn blue'.
View Quote

Yeah well Oregon Gov. Kate Brown is pushing the same BS down there.

The thing is, there are a lot of differences between California and Washington/Oregon. Gun ownership is common and crosses political boundaries here. I lived in California when they started their "assault weapon" BS and it was already a gun hostile area.

I'm not going anywhere. And I will not comply with the likes of Ferguson's legislation.
Link Posted: 1/22/2017 4:34:52 PM EDT
[#49]
The caliber of people in the opposition...

Link Posted: 1/22/2017 7:13:32 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Yeah well Oregon Gov. Kate Brown is pushing the same BS down there.
View Quote

Exactly why I would rent, not buy. Maybe OR does pass an AWB, but maybe it's less militant, or maybe it just takes them a couple more years to get it done. Either way, I'll leverage my proximity to the border to maximum advantage.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top