Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/1/2017 9:21:42 PM EDT
Filled out all of the paper work and answered all questions on their computer system. Was then told to sit and wait my turn. There were probably 6 other people waiting also when I sat down.

Here's their process:

They put your paperwork in a file after you sit down and they work through them as they are filed (supposedly). 1.5 hours later I was called up to the cashier and then she started the NICS check. There were 4 or 5 other guys working behind the NICS counter but only 1 gal running the actual NICS checks.

1.5 hours for them to even begin the NICS check? Ridiculous to only have 1 person running the NICS check while the other 4 or 5 guys were doing nothing.

My first and last gun buying at Cabelas and all the more reason to patronize your LGS. Anyone else have this same experience there?

Then, the guy that I really felt sorry for, they lost his driver's license and when I left he was at the 2 hour mark waiting for them to find it.
Link Posted: 1/2/2017 2:23:39 AM EDT
[#1]
Buy online and transfer through Patriot Arms in Snoho.

I might pop in to check the reloading section, but their gun counter is a disaster.
Link Posted: 1/2/2017 3:05:21 AM EDT
[#2]
All the lawyers and paperwork to fall back on if something happens.

Sidenote... they had a gen 2 Glock 21 for $350 today.
Link Posted: 1/2/2017 3:44:30 AM EDT
[#3]
This is why you don't buy guns at Cabelas. Every thing that I have heard is that it is a pain in the ass
Link Posted: 1/2/2017 4:13:43 AM EDT
[#4]
I bought a gun at sportsmans warehouse 2 years ago (only big box store purchase). ID never left my sight and I was done with paperwork in 10 min and out the door. Cabelas sucks for anything but window shopping.
Link Posted: 1/2/2017 6:57:21 AM EDT
[#5]
It has never taken less than 2 hours to buy a gun at Cabela's, they are just a slow freaking store for buying a gun at!
Link Posted: 1/2/2017 11:08:57 AM EDT
[#6]
Welchers in Tacoma is the way to go. You don't pay Cabellas prices and they are fast and professional. I entered and left with a rifle within half an hour including all paperwork and NICS check.
Link Posted: 1/2/2017 12:51:30 PM EDT
[#7]
Crapella's in Lacey is the same way. Every time I buy a firearm there, I SWEAR it will be the last. Then something cool I just can't wait one minute more for pops up on their shelves. The place is like heroin. The trick is to go in and buy it about 30 minutes before closing, and they'll rush ya right though....or just go buy it cheaper elsewhere as mentioned.
Link Posted: 1/2/2017 2:37:48 PM EDT
[#8]
Yeah...I made the mistake of buying a gun at the Tulalip Cabelas.

A Glock 17 Gen 3.

I have a valid CPL as well.

Over an hour waiting at the gun counter before I could even get someone to help me look at it.

Then another three hours of waiting for the transaction to complete before I was finally able to walk out with it.

A few months later I bought a Glock 17 Gen 4 and a Glock 19 Gen 4 at West Coast Armory North in Lynnwood.

The entire process took less than 30 minutes for both guns and I got two free range passesas well.

Not only that, but the prices were $60 cheaper than the listed prices at Tulalip Cabelas for the same guns.

I also bought a S&W 686 Combat 6" stainless revolver that was $72 cheaper than Cabelas as well.

I have since bought many more guns, lowers, and glass at West Coast Armory North because their service is absolutely terrific and they have a great attitude.

I will never buy another gun at Cabelas again...they are not the only game in town and there are much better places with far superior prices and service.

That just my own little opinion based on my experiences...
Link Posted: 1/2/2017 10:48:18 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Crapella's in Lacey is the same way. Every time I buy a firearm there, I SWEAR it will be the last. Then something cool I just can't wait one minute more for pops up on their shelves. The place is like heroin.
View Quote

Me, too.  I do sometimes find really good deals among the really bad ones, so I keep looking.  Even to put something on layaway, you have to go through almost the entire waiting process.  I used to just put something on "48 hour hold" and come back first thing on a weekday, but last time they told me they don't do that anymore.

Rob
Link Posted: 1/3/2017 1:21:42 AM EDT
[#10]
I regularly cruise the gun library to see if there is anything collectible that the usual vultures haven't already bought. I did luck out a few times when they had a beautifully restored CMP Winchester M1 Grand, a nearly perfect early K98 Mauser and a G43 that were obviously all part of an estate sale...just don't expect any price breaks.
I have typically had better luck finding collectible guns while cruising the big antique shows in Reno or Vegas or even the Cabelas in Post Falls, Idaho.
The one in Post Falls is my favorite Cabelas so far.
I enjoy the attitudes of the people there.
Link Posted: 1/3/2017 1:56:06 PM EDT
[#11]
I'm the original poster of this thread.

I forgot to mention that just the week before I purchased a 3" pre-lock S&W model 60 at Lynnwood gun. I was in and out in probably 10 - 15 minutes. Kudos to Lynnwood Gun and a thumbs down to Cabelas (Tulalup)
Link Posted: 1/3/2017 2:41:12 PM EDT
[#12]
I bought a little .410 sise by side there. The whole process seemed to go ok. It was a little long,about an hr. Thing about tulalip is,they seem to get in a lot of hard to find odd ball guns in their used gun selection that are on my wish list. I would have bought three others had i had the money at the time
Link Posted: 1/4/2017 12:02:30 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

I might pop in to check the reloading section, but their gun counter is a disaster.
View Quote

Rollie has been my go to guy for a while now.
Link Posted: 1/4/2017 3:15:27 AM EDT
[#14]
Cabelas has a group that comes in and does out of state CPL. Anyone tried it out.....?
Link Posted: 1/4/2017 11:51:09 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Crapella's in Lacey is the same way. Every time I buy a firearm there, I SWEAR it will be the last. Then something cool I just can't wait one minute more for pops up on their shelves. The place is like heroin. The trick is to go in and buy it about 30 minutes before closing, and they'll rush ya right though....or just go buy it cheaper elsewhere as mentioned.
View Quote

About 5 years ago Cabela's in Lacey had about 8-10 used racks which often had interesting/random stuff that was underpriced. Last time I was in it was down to 1-2. No interest in paying new prices for anything that they have on the shelf.
Link Posted: 1/5/2017 6:48:36 PM EDT
[#16]
I bought a handgun at Cabelas once. I want to emphasize once.
Link Posted: 1/7/2017 11:39:24 PM EDT
[#17]
Tried on Black Friday once not long after they opened. Took the ticket with something like #250 on it when they were serving #100. Lollygagged around the entire store for 2-3 hours, looking at all the cool things. Came back to find that they got all the way to #115 or so.

Shook my head and left. Definitely a WTF LOL experience.
Link Posted: 1/8/2017 3:59:07 AM EDT
[#18]
I'm not sure I've ever completed the purchase process there in less than 2 hours. One time I figured I'd try the buy 30 minutes before they close thing, ended up being there 90 minutes after they closed waiting for one guy to finish my sale.

It's a complete train wreck and they don't care one bit.
Link Posted: 1/8/2017 6:59:53 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I bought a handgun at Cabelas once. I want to emphasize once.
View Quote
lol This.

Never again.
Link Posted: 1/10/2017 2:43:14 PM EDT
[#20]
Done it twice. Don't bother on a weekend. Ever.
Weekday? No real issue. Obviously still quicker at most local shops that know what they're doing.
Link Posted: 1/10/2017 4:12:37 PM EDT
[#21]
I'd pay $50 more NOT to buy a gun at cabelas
Link Posted: 1/10/2017 10:40:13 PM EDT
[#22]
I've bought 2 pistols there, first one was a 3 hour ordeal and I swore I would never do it again, second time i walked in as soon as they unlocked the door (at 8am) walked up to the counter said "i want this Berretta 92a1 lets get started" i was out by 8:45. I didn't finger fuck it or anything but 40min was even ridiculous because no less than 5 people looked at my id and checked the serial numbers. Bottom line is to know what you want and walk in and get it at open time

Eta: sportsmans is bad ass!  black Friday on 2 separate occasions in and out in 30 minutes, all the counter people tossing paperwork in front of the one guy calling in the checks
Link Posted: 1/11/2017 3:25:27 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I'd pay $50 more NOT to buy a gun at cabelas
View Quote

$50?
Must have caught them during a sale. Every trip to Cabela's in Lacey has ended the same for me over the last few months.

Go upstairs, look at the gun cases and racks, wander the aisles (they started carrying Crossbreed Holsters), shake my head while muttering, and walk back downstairs to stock up on Cabela's gear before Bass Pro makes changes (especially to the jackets and rain gear).
Link Posted: 1/11/2017 4:28:02 AM EDT
[#24]
I bought a rifle at the tualitin one the day it opened. Whole process prolly took 20 mins.
Link Posted: 1/11/2017 12:57:48 PM EDT
[#25]
Bought a pistol at the Lacey store when they first opened.  It was a weeknight and they were slow, as in no customers.  Took maybe 20-25 minutes.  

Went back two years ago, one other person there, buying a rifle.  Took 1 hour 45 minutes.  I sent an email complaining of eth wait time and actually got a call from the manager, which was nice.  Still not going to buy another firearm from them unless it is at a ridiculous discount.  

Last purchase I made of a pistol was two weeks ago, East County Guns in Elma.  12 minutes and I was out the door.
Link Posted: 1/11/2017 2:32:29 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Last purchase I made of a pistol was two weeks ago, East County Guns in Elma.  12 minutes and I was out the door.
View Quote
Now imagine if we had the NICS exemption that the ATF said was okay based on our CPL.

You could have dropped 5 minutes or so off that transaction. I'd love to have an experience where buying a pistol would be like picking up a couple of steaks from the local butcher. Couple of jokes, a free sample, and on my way in less than 10 minutes. 
Link Posted: 1/11/2017 3:01:22 PM EDT
[#27]
Andy tossed in another magazine for free and I got a good buy on some traded in .45 ACP ammo, 500 rounds for $150.  Definitely a win.
Link Posted: 1/11/2017 5:04:14 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Andy tossed in another magazine for free and I got a good buy on some traded in .45 ACP ammo, 500 rounds for $150.  Definitely a win.
View Quote

First handgun purchase was at Cabela's in Lacey. I thought that was just par for the course, and how everyone had to sell guns. NEVER. AGAIN.
Link Posted: 1/15/2017 4:28:06 PM EDT
[#29]
I bought a couple lowers, shipped to the store for free.
I thought it would be nice for the free shipping and no fee for the FFL.
An hour to check out made me realize the folly of that thought..
Link Posted: 1/16/2017 4:24:29 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
View Quote
It'd be nice if during that hour, they let you walk around the store. When I bought my G20 in Lacey, I thought the guy was going to stroke out when I started to walk off to take a piss. I'm pretty sure the circle jerk of triple checking everything doesn't require me to be there waiting like some schmo.
Link Posted: 1/16/2017 11:35:16 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View Quote

Tulalip Cabelas reloading section is okay, but I don't think it is anything to write home about.

Not to mention the fact that I have never encountered any staff there available that could give much of anything resembling advice about reloading.

My favorite ammo and reloading brick-and-mortar store (local WA folks) are out in Cle Elum.
A place named Three Forks Ammo and Reloading.
428 East First Street
Cle Elum, WA 98922
[email protected]
509-674-2295

Being that I live in Lake Stevens, they're not exactly local to me, but I enjoy taking road trips out there.
Their inventory is amazing.
They're a bunch of avid shooters/hunters/competitors/reloaders who really know they're shit and are a wealth of information.
Your not going to save any money on buying gear here as they can't really compete with the big box stores and online warehouses, but that isn't the point with these guys.
They're hard-core shooters who really know they're subject matter, are a wealth of information and advice on everything from troubleshooting, set-ups, and fine-tuning, with excellent customer service.
I encourage everyone to check them out if you're passing by Cle Elum.

They're also on Facebook.
Link Posted: 1/17/2017 10:38:33 AM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 1/17/2017 12:16:03 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
View Quote

Same here, I got my two lowers and learned never to buy another gun at Cabelas.  I don't know why they have 10-15 employees hanging out around the gun counter when they only help 1 customer at a time, and it takes 2 of them to even do that!
Link Posted: 1/17/2017 2:31:20 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Same here, I got my two lowers and learned never to buy another gun at Cabelas.  I don't know why they have 10-15 employees hanging out around the gun counter when they only help 1 customer at a time, and it takes 2 of them to even do that!
View Quote

I don't even bother buying serialized AR lowers any more.
I learned that even high-end mass-produced lowers are usually +/- .005" on basically all tolerances.
I can do a much better job than that myself.
I like to take an 80% lower and I can usually get to within +/- .0015" or better.
Can't buy a lower that accurately machined.

Same goes for 7.62-caliber AR lowers.

Lately been having fun with Glock 17 and 19 type 80% pistol frames from Polymer80, 80% SIG P228/229 frames from Matrix Precision, Single-stack (1911) and double-stack (2011) 80% frames from Limited-10. The 2011 frame uses parts from STI guns.

Recently finished two Ruger 10/22 receivers from Tactical machining as well.

My apologies for the derail...
Link Posted: 1/18/2017 2:23:16 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Tulalip Cabelas reloading section is okay, but I don't think it is anything to write home about.

Not to mention the fact that I have never encountered any staff there available that could give much of anything resembling advice about reloading.

My favorite ammo and reloading brick-and-mortar store (local WA folks) are out in Cle Elum.
A place named Three Forks Ammo and Reloading.
View Quote

I stopped in Three Forks a few weeks back and low and behold they had some FGMM primers
Link Posted: 1/19/2017 8:53:52 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
View Quote

Only an hour? You got off lucky.
Link Posted: 1/19/2017 11:42:52 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I think they've slightly improved the process since they first started it, but if you got out of there in an hour that's a massive improvement.
Link Posted: 2/6/2017 4:25:48 PM EDT
[#38]
So I complained about their insane gun buying process at the Tulalip Cabelas last weekend.

They're under a great deal of intense scrutiny.

Apparently some of this has to do with the shooting at Marysville-Pilchuck High School.

The kid who was the shooter stole the gun/s from his father.

Apparently the father was a convicted felon (multiple counts) and was unable to legally own a gun.

However because his felonies were committed on Tulalip tribal land, he was tried/convicted/served-time within the tribal system.

The Tulalip tribe considered itself a sovereign entity and refuses to share criminal records with the federal/state/county systems...not sure if that situation has changed since then.

If they had shared their data, the father would not have been able to legally buy firearms (though I am sure he would've gotten them some other way).

Nonetheless...in the ATF's view, some teenagers needlessly died because of this administrative SNAFU.

I am not sure if the process at Cabelas has changed since then or not (they didn't say so when I complained).

I assume that explains the extra time involved and extra administrative headaches.

That's the story I was told at the gun counter next to the gun library.
Link Posted: 2/6/2017 9:17:17 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
So I complained about their insane gun buying process at the Tulalip Cabelas last weekend.

They're under a great deal of intense scrutiny.

Apparently some of this has to do with the shooting at Marysville-Pilchuck High School.

The kid who was the shooter stole the gun/s from his father.

Apparently the father was a convicted felon (multiple counts) and was unable to legally own a gun.

However because his felonies were committed on Tulalip tribal land, he was tried/convicted/served-time within the tribal system.

The Tulalip tribe considered itself a sovereign entity and refuses to share criminal records with the federal/state/county systems...not sure if that situation has changed since then.

If they had shared their data, the father would not have been able to legally buy firearms (though I am sure he would've gotten them some other way).

Nonetheless...in the ATF's view, some teenagers needlessly died because of this administrative SNAFU.

I am not sure if the process at Cabelas has changed since then or not (they didn't say so when I complained).

I assume that explains the extra time involved and extra administrative headaches.

That's the story I was told at the gun counter next to the gun library.
View Quote

Which would make sense if there were some additional databases or other info they had access to that they were searching, but as far as I've seen that's not the case. Sounds like they've crafted a story to sell to people who complain.

Though I have no doubt that they are under a lot of scrutiny at that store right now.
Link Posted: 2/6/2017 11:31:08 PM EDT
[#40]
Go in, pick gun, fill out crap on the computer...then go have lunch...come back, it's done. win?
Link Posted: 2/7/2017 10:31:24 AM EDT
[#41]
There is no legal or logical reason it should take longer to buy a gun because there has been a shooting incident in the area and I am not a cold blooded person and my heart bleeds every single time one of these events happen.  But as a FFL holder I can say, it does not take any longer to run the paperwork after an incident than it does before.

Cabela's is just damn slow, they are slow here in Montana as well.
Link Posted: 2/17/2017 12:25:01 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View Quote
Changing this would be some gun-violence legislation I could get behind. Clearly this is more of a real loophole than any other legislation that has been pushed in recent memory.
Link Posted: 2/17/2017 1:00:46 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Changing this would be some gun-violence legislation I could get behind. Clearly this is more of a real loophole than any other legislation that has been pushed in recent memory.
View Quote

Or maybe people that live on the rez shoudn't be allowed to buy firearms off the rez
Link Posted: 2/17/2017 9:53:52 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Or maybe people that live on the rez shoudn't be allowed to buy firearms off the rez
View Quote
Cabelas is on the Reservation, Dumbass
Link Posted: 2/18/2017 3:37:46 PM EDT
[#45]
I went to Cableas a few years ago in Tulip just after they opened in the morning. I bought a handgun and took about 20-25 minutes only. I was the only one in that glass counter area in their gun department and nobody else was waiting. If I go in the evening then lots of people were waiting at the gun counter. .
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 11:59:45 AM EDT
[#46]
You must've been at the wrong place. Mark Roe says you can go in and buy a gun with no questions asked!

Skip to 1:00:30  

http://www.tvw.org/watch/?eventID=2017021048
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top