Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/29/2016 10:50:03 PM EDT
RUGER .44 ALASKAN in need of 'Professional' finish work.
Hey, me and Prospector did our best, but it needs to be done the right way.

Who's the go-to polisher around here?
Thanks!
Link Posted: 12/29/2016 10:58:25 PM EDT
[#1]
I don't know who does some good stainless shine work around WA but satin stainless looks good too and
wont scare the game as much.
Link Posted: 12/30/2016 1:14:03 AM EDT
[#2]
Too late, it's been 'damaged' by me and my buddy.  Looks OK, but just needs that final 'touch'.
And it's not for game, but, if the game is that close, neither of us will care about 'shiny'...!   ...I'm gonna gun and run!  

I'm just looking for a capable polisher to get the gun looking its best.  
( yeah, I couldn't've left well enough alone when I got it )
Link Posted: 1/5/2017 11:02:30 PM EDT
[#3]
C'mon.
It's the New Year.

SOMEBODY knows where I can get my stainless revolver polished...HELP!
Link Posted: 1/6/2017 12:09:11 AM EDT
[#4]
Are you using Mother's Mag and Aluminum polish?  I've seen a few videos on Youtube where guys use this and either cotton rags or a buffing wheel on a drill, and the results are pretty spectacular (but time consuming.)

How to polish a stainless firearm to a high shine
Link Posted: 1/6/2017 10:35:51 PM EDT
[#5]
Yes, but with a Dremel.
It really needs a pro to finish it right.
There's gotta be somebody around here that does this kind of work.
Link Posted: 1/8/2017 4:18:38 AM EDT
[#6]
I can do it but I'm really busy right now.

In a couple weeks I'll have more time.
Link Posted: 1/9/2017 11:20:14 AM EDT
[#7]
I polished a S&W 645 years ago, but I had a large knife grinder/polisher.  You will also need the right kind of abrasive.  Using an abrasive designed for brass or aluminum won't work.   If you do decide to do it yourself, be careful around any of the factory stampings, as you don't want to wash them out.  The cotton wheels I used were  10" wheels..one tightly sewn together, the other a very loose wheel for final polishing.  You could probably get by with an 8" wheel though.
Link Posted: 1/10/2017 12:01:22 AM EDT
[#8]
We were alternating with areas polished and left standard finish.
Filled in the ALASKAN with some Brownell's gold-fill product.

Going for leaving the hammer, triggerguard, flutes, area behind cylinder and top & bottom of barrel more dull.

Had to send the HOGUE grip back to HOGUE as it wouldn't fit correctly.  They made it right.

Flat-blade shows where the inside of the grip needed to be relieved for proper fit.

Got this last year, so I'm looking forward to getting it done.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top