Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/23/2016 2:27:06 PM EDT
Been in Skagit county since July and have found a few places to go shooting. Plantation range, gravel pits and such. Problem is I dont know of any place to really get out and stretch the legs on my rifles.

Is there any place close-ish to Seattle (either public land or private ranges) where I could go do long range shooting? Ringing steel and punching paper is the order of the day here.
Link Posted: 11/24/2016 1:32:40 AM EDT
[#1]
The only] place I know of is the Eatonville gun club, I use to shoot their monthly 600 yard 50bmg match years ago. They supposibly have a 600 yard high power match as well
Link Posted: 11/28/2016 12:49:39 PM EDT
[#2]
Upper nisqually sportsman's club has a 550 yard range open any time ther is not a match, but you have to be a member, or guest of a member.  They also have para tidal/ precision rifle matches on the first Saturday of each month where they shoot primarily steel from field type positions like barricades, rooftops, platforms, parapets, tank traps, and whatever other things they can think of.  They vary positions, and no two matches are the same.  Know your dope out to 600 yards and it is lots of fun.

Entry fee is $20, you do not need to be a member to shoot matches.  No magnums, no bullets with any ferrous content...check your bullets with a magnet.  They have managed to keep the matches fun, low key, and friendly so far.  Most shooters there are happy to help new people out.
Link Posted: 12/2/2016 1:52:01 AM EDT
[#3]
Last few times I've gone shooting a buddy and I just got a day pass then went up in the national forest and shot wherever we wanted to within the rules, which are petty damn non-restrictive. 
Link Posted: 12/18/2016 6:36:38 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Last few times I've gone shooting a buddy and I just got a day pass then went up in the national forest and shot wherever we wanted to within the rules, which are petty damn non-restrictive. 
View Quote

Day pass?
Link Posted: 12/18/2016 7:07:00 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Day pass?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Day pass?

Well, technically you're supposed to have a recreation forest when recreating in the National Forests.  Can be either a year pass, or you can buy and print day passes online. I... didn't know that for a long time. 

ETA- By that I mean it wasn't till I started hiking popular trails I found out it's needed and saw the signage. Used to just go up trails and 4x4 and fuck off and never saw signs. 
Link Posted: 12/19/2016 4:58:15 PM EDT
[#6]
I have never been busted for the retarded Discover pass. I keep the yellow vehicle access tag from fishing/hunting licenses and play dumb with it, leaving it on the dashboard.

It was not that long ago that using state and federal public lands was free, other than paying taxes. What a concept.

You would think someone in Washington could argue that the Discover pass is racist/classist by restricting public lands use to those that can afford to pay, but the truth is that PNW liberals don't want to see minorities in the forests, only white gentiles.
Link Posted: 12/19/2016 7:02:50 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I have never been busted for the retarded Discover pass. I keep the yellow vehicle access tag from fishing/hunting licenses and play dumb with it, leaving it on the dashboard.

It was not that long ago that using state and federal public lands was free, other than paying taxes. What a concept.

You would think someone in Washington could argue that the Discover pass is racist/classist by restricting public lands use to those that can afford to pay, but the truth is that PNW liberals don't want to see minorities in the forests, only white gentiles liberals.
View Quote

Fixed it for you.
Link Posted: 12/19/2016 9:25:16 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

You would think someone in Washington could argue that the Discover pass is racist/classist by restricting public lands use to those that can afford to pay, but the truth is that PNW liberals don't want to see minorities in the forests, only white gentiles.
View Quote

National Forest (fed land) is different than discover pass (state land). It's all a big jumbly mess. I wouldn't mind paying a couple bucks at trail heads and stuff to help pay for maintenance.  Here in Wa the concept of tax money going to what it's taxed for has been lost of the elected officials and everything gets tossed in the general fund so it can get wasted on bullshit. 

Also, funny you mention the PNW liberals don't want anyone in the forest but themselves, there is a distinct lack of any public transportation to even popular trails just outside Seattle. Think you might be on to something. 
Link Posted: 12/20/2016 12:04:49 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:Well, technically you're supposed to have a recreation forest when recreating in the National Forests.  Can be either a year pass, or you can buy and print day passes online. I... didn't know that for a long time.  
View Quote
I've been hiking, backpacking, car-camping, shooting, etc in the National Forests for over a decade and have never bought a pass or permit, with the only exception being the parking pass you have to buy when parking at a trailhead with a pit toilet.  I did just pay $5 for a tree permit this year.

I'm not sure to what you're referring.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/20/2016 1:10:22 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote

NW Forest Pass?

You can get the annual NP Pass free if you're mil and it covers those areas too.
Link Posted: 12/20/2016 1:24:17 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I've been hiking, backpacking, car-camping, shooting, etc in the National Forests for over a decade and have never bought a pass or permit, with the only exception being the parking pass you have to buy when parking at a trailhead with a pit toilet.  I did just pay $5 for a tree permit this year.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/171243/Drive02-111060.JPG
View Quote

Apparently I'm talking about the parking pass? Apparently some wilderness areas need free permits though but those look like hike in areas in designated wilderness.

IDK, even the FS site says the shits confusing. 
Link Posted: 12/22/2016 9:42:11 PM EDT
[#12]
The Nisqually sportsman's club has a monthly practical/ precision rifle match out to 600 yards on the first Saturday of each month.  Entry fee is $20, and they mostly shoot steel from barricades, parapets, and other field type positions.   Friendly crowd is a big plus.  

No magnums, no bullets with any ferrous content, and max velocity of 3150 fps.  All that stuff is so the steel doesn't get buggered up, or knocked over by magnums.
Link Posted: 12/22/2016 10:26:50 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
The Nisqually sportsman's club has a monthly practical/ precision rifle match out to 600 yards on the first Saturday of each month.  Entry fee is $20, and they mostly shoot steel from barricades, parapets, and other field type positions.   Friendly crowd is a big plus.  

No magnums, no bullets with any ferrous content, and max velocity of 3150 fps.  All that stuff is so the steel doesn't get buggered up, or knocked over by magnums.
View Quote

I've actually had their application sitting on my desk for a few weeks now. It sounds like a great range, but its near a 3 hour drive. 
Link Posted: 12/23/2016 12:39:57 PM EDT
[#14]
You do NOT have to be a club member to shoot in the monthly matches.  If you need more info, email, or PM me.  I am a member there, and have shot in many of the monthly rifle matches there.   They usually publish the course of fire a couple of days before the match.   IIRC They have a Facebook page called nisqually practical rifle, or upper nisqually practical rifle.

Many of the guys who shoot the matches are practicing for the PRS matches, other guys are just there to ring the steel.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top