Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/10/2016 7:57:09 PM EDT
The GF and I are looking for a decent spot to spend 3-4 days together right after Thanksgiving.  Not really enough time to bother getting on a plane, so somewhere easy driving from Western Washington.  Any ideas?
Link Posted: 11/10/2016 8:23:37 PM EDT
[#1]
One idea is a staycation.  Last year we spent a long weekend in a small hotel right at Pikes Place Market.  I hate Seattle to drive to, but this allowed us to park the car and hit the restaurants, underground, dinner mystery theater.  We also did a "food" tour that was great.  My other favorite getaway is Leavenworth, same thing hang out and just relax.  Go do wine tasting, shopping etc.  Which is idea  #3, go to Woodinville and do a wine tour, find a B+B and have some fun,  The last is Chalan, rent a hotel or B+B close to town.  We like the wine tasting so it is a favorite getaway.  Sorry if you noticed a theme but we like wine.
Link Posted: 11/10/2016 8:51:29 PM EDT
[#2]
Cannon Beach Oregon/Ecola State Park

Weather will be a crap shoot.

Plan B: Bad Weather - Whiskeytown–Shasta–Trinity National Recreation Area (CA)
Link Posted: 11/10/2016 9:01:45 PM EDT
[#3]
San Juan Island. No crowds this time of year. Lots of cool stuff to see there.
Link Posted: 11/10/2016 9:09:11 PM EDT
[#4]
I've not been there but what about Leavenworth? I've heard its a really cool place given the building architecture, although I dont know if I would need to be there for 3 or 4 days......I also suspect it would be more than a little expensive to stay there.

Link Posted: 11/10/2016 10:27:10 PM EDT
[#5]
We LOVE Seaside OR.

Condo with fireplace, cool little town with lots of shops, drive out on the beach and have campfire.
One of our favorite getaways.

Link Posted: 11/10/2016 11:10:24 PM EDT
[#6]
Leavenworth is fun that time of year with the tree lightings.

A cabin at Kalaloch makes for a nice getaway to watch winter storms pound the beach.

Vancouver, BC and Whistler are always a good time.

Crater Lake would be neat if the weather cooperates.
Link Posted: 11/10/2016 11:49:36 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I've not been there but what about Leavenworth? I've heard its a really cool place given the building architecture, although I dont know if I would need to be there for 3 or 4 days......I also suspect it would be more than a little expensive to stay there.  
View Quote

12 hours in LW and I am ready to run for the hills. Only so much to see.

I think the SanJuan Islands suggestion was the best. There is a lot to do up there.
Link Posted: 11/11/2016 1:19:20 AM EDT
[#8]
Manzanita, Oregon  (3-4hr drive)  Very quiet, scenic and close to Seaside without the crowds.
Link Posted: 11/11/2016 3:02:34 AM EDT
[#9]
We go to Chelan 3-4 times a year and love it. There are a couple web sites to find condo rentals cheap, we also purchase condo's on craigslist for really great deals, actually much cheaper to stay in a nice condo if you shop than a crappy hotel. The nice part about Chelan is you can drive to Leavenworth for the day, it's about a 2 hour drive one way. We enjoy hiking, and checking out the sites. It would be helpful to know what your wanting to do on the vacation. Anyplace you go will be a fun time, some places are just nicer to look at than others, and not to many people out and about this time of year.
Link Posted: 11/11/2016 8:21:06 AM EDT
[#10]
The McMinimans in Seattle is nice for a staycation.  DR GF and I have been bouncing to Portland and staying in AirB&Bs.  Having a great time doing that.
Link Posted: 11/11/2016 10:21:17 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
We LOVE Seaside OR.

Condo with fireplace, cool little town with lots of shops, drive out on the beach and have campfire.

View Quote

Seaside is right near Cannon Beach/Ecola State Park mentioned above and is a good suggestion.

San Juan Islands mentioned - go to Orcas (Moran State Park) and San Juan Island (American & Brit Camps).
Link Posted: 11/12/2016 2:08:51 AM EDT
[#12]
Ucelet or Tofino on Vancouver Island is pretty gorgeous too.
Link Posted: 11/12/2016 6:46:46 PM EDT
[#13]
Seaside, OR is great but I would also consider Canada, Vancouver or Victory, not to crowded since it's not a holiday there (Canadian Thanksgiving is in October) and the dollar is strong to the Canadian dollar (or was last time I checked).
Avoid places like Whistler, it'll be crowded with American's on holiday. You can pick up a hockey game, see some interesting sites from the Olympics or museums, have some great meals... and not to far from home... just don't take your ar-15 or other weapons with you.

Link Posted: 11/12/2016 7:28:40 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Victory

View Quote

Where is Victory??

I forgot about Osoyoos BC, We really like it up there. Kinda long drive, but very beautiful.

Link Posted: 11/17/2016 6:53:35 PM EDT
[#15]
Orcas Island at Rosarios, Clipper ride to Victoria, B&B in Leavenworth, Wenatchee wine country even though vinyards arent doing anything you can still go tasting.  Orrrrrrr stay at home and bang.
Link Posted: 11/18/2016 2:03:29 AM EDT
[#16]
I would run the Cascade loop and hit: Leavenworth - also check out MountainView lodge area alittle north of Leavenworth I think. They have nice small A Frame cabins you can rent for a couple nites and have plenty of cool wintery fun things to do there also ( its kinda romantic so you score points with the wife unit ) Has horse drawn sleigh rides - snowmobile rentals and other cool things to do onsite.

Spend a day in Winthrop as well. its along the Cascades Loop. Its a fun unique little town ( albeit kinda touristy )

Not to mention all the nice mountain scenery you can take in.

Gas is cheap these days ... take advantage of it

That's a 3-4 day run right there and shouldn't smash your wallet too much.

Lotsa folks recommending San Juans .... its nice in the summer time. But late Nov its cold rainy and limited views because of bad weather. Not having a boat spoils a lot of the San Juans splendor in the winter time.
Link Posted: 11/18/2016 3:12:52 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

We LOVE Seaside OR.

View Quote
+1

Best part of SeaPac is that it's in Seaside. No better venue for a hamfest in my opinion.
Link Posted: 11/18/2016 6:03:10 PM EDT
[#18]
Wife and I just took a long weekend in Victoria. We had a great time.
Link Posted: 11/18/2016 7:00:46 PM EDT
[#19]
Going to any PNW beach in the winter? Gross.  I know some enjoy it but I consider that a punishment, not a vacation.

Leavenworth is a great place to go during Christmas time, but it will be crowded with Microsnobs.

I just like getting anywhere east of the mountains and enjoying the snow.

The FS roads up into the Olympic mtns. are also lightly traveled and usually good if you just want to get into some snow, sled, etc.  We used to go and bring a sled, lunch, and a thermos full of hot chocolate.
Link Posted: 11/18/2016 10:14:53 PM EDT
[#20]
damn autocorrect (even when it's my mistake and not autocorrect)
Victoria
Link Posted: 11/19/2016 3:08:25 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

damn autocorrect (even when it's my mistake and not autocorrect)

Victoria
View Quote

After I posted about Victoria, I got home and was talking with the wife.  We booked a trip on the Clipper for next month.  Doing a sun/mon/tue trip.  Going to hit the lights at Buschart gardens, museum, empress hotel for a traditional tea time and a couple other small things.  Cant wait.  
Link Posted: 11/20/2016 11:32:14 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Cannon Beach Oregon/Ecola State Park

Weather will be a crap shoot.

Plan B: Bad Weather - Whiskeytown–Shasta–Trinity National Recreation Area (CA)
View Quote

Bad weather in Cannon Beach is a plus.
Link Posted: 11/20/2016 11:33:44 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I would run the Cascade loop and hit: Leavenworth - also check out MountainView lodge area alittle north of Leavenworth I think. They have nice small A Frame cabins you can rent for a couple nites and have plenty of cool wintery fun things to do there also ( its kinda romantic so you score points with the wife unit ) Has horse drawn sleigh rides - snowmobile rentals and other cool things to do onsite.

Spend a day in Winthrop as well. its along the Cascades Loop. Its a fun unique little town ( albeit kinda touristy )

Not to mention all the nice mountain scenery you can take in.

Gas is cheap these days ... take advantage of it

That's a 3-4 day run right there and shouldn't smash your wallet too much.

Lotsa folks recommending San Juans .... its nice in the summer time. But late Nov its cold rainy and limited views because of bad weather. Not having a boat spoils a lot of the San Juans splendor in the winter time.
View Quote

Done this loop  a few times....great drive every time.
Link Posted: 11/21/2016 12:13:32 AM EDT
[#24]
No running the Cascade Loop circuit right now, North Cascades Highwaty is currently closed. You can still do Leavenworth and Winthrop, which is still worthwhile, but you will likely be going back the same way that you came.
Link Posted: 11/21/2016 7:21:57 PM EDT
[#25]
Suncadia, do some wine tasting, hopefully some playing in the snow if weather reports are correct.
Link Posted: 11/21/2016 8:04:57 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
View Quote

Ugh tourist trap. I avoid that place, but some people like it.

Go east, Wine country near Yakima is nice. Middle of nowhere apple country in Whenatchee or Brewster. Further yet in Republic and go up Sherman pass, should be pretty this time of year. If you don't mind the miles you can come back through Colville and Spokane. IIRC it's about 750 miles round trip which over 3-4 days is easy, I did it in a day a few weeks ago.

Or go west, drive the 101 loop and stay in Forks or camp the Hoh.

Can always go near Rainier or St Helens too, lots to see around either with places to stay. Ape caves are probably still open and are out of the weather. Adams isn't too far out of the way either...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top