Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/24/2016 11:58:56 PM EDT
Snohomish, Whatcom and some Douglas County voters: USE TWO STAMPS FOR MAIL-IN
Voters in three Washington counties will have to pay a tad more than normal to mail back their election ballots this year.

Because of extra-long ballots stuffed with initiatives, voters in
Snohomish County, Whatcom County and most of Douglas County will have to
pay more than just the usual first-class stamp to return their ballots.

In
each county, the need for extra postage is noted on voter material and
on the return envelope. Ballots were sent to voters across the state
last week. In all but those three counties, it costs 47?cents — the
price of one standard, first-class stamp — to return a ballot.

Snohomish
County voters will have to pay 68?cents, the price the U.S. Postal
Service charges for oversize or unusual envelopes, unless they opt to
return their ballots via one of the county’s 18 drop boxes......

-------------------------------------

----------------------------------------

Link Posted: 10/25/2016 3:26:50 AM EDT
[#1]
Thanks for the heads up.
Link Posted: 10/25/2016 2:31:24 PM EDT
[#2]
In Whatcom County the outside of the ballot envelope says "68 cents postage required if mailing" in the space where the stamp would go.
Link Posted: 10/25/2016 7:56:37 PM EDT
[#3]
I guess I made the right choice yesterday by throwing another stamp on before I mailed it out.
Link Posted: 10/25/2016 8:02:01 PM EDT
[#4]
From the article

There is another way to return ballots free of cost, although counties don’t really like to tell you about it. The Postal Service is supposed to deliver returned ballots to the counties even if they lack proper postage, rather than return them to the senders.

The counties then reimburse the Postal Service for the missing postage, although they have no appropriated funding to do so.
“They would not reject ballots for lack of postage,” said Dave Ammons, a spokesman for Secretary of State Kim Wyman.
The Legislature has repeatedly considered making return ballots postage-free, a topic that has emerged as a minor issue in this year’s campaign for secretary of state. The state estimated last year that it would cost between $2?million and $3?million per two-year election cycle to put prepaid return postage on every ballot.
View Quote
Link Posted: 10/25/2016 11:08:35 PM EDT
[#5]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

From the article

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

From the article

There is another way to return ballots free of cost, although counties don’t really like to tell you about it. The Postal Service is supposed to deliver returned ballots to the counties even if they lack proper postage, rather than return them to the senders.

The counties then reimburse the Postal Service for the missing postage, although they have no appropriated funding to do so.

"They would not reject ballots for lack of postage,” said Dave Ammons, a spokesman for Secretary of State Kim Wyman.

The Legislature has repeatedly considered making return ballots postage-free, a topic that has emerged as a minor issue in this year’s campaign for secretary of state. The state estimated last year that it would cost between $2?million and $3?million per two-year election cycle to put prepaid return postage on every ballot.

This is bullshit.  So we the taxpayer are on the hook again for the FSA that couldn't get to the polls in the first place because it was unfair to the poor.  Now you can't afford a fucking stamp??  Or two??  Get your lazy ass of the couch then and drop it off at a ballot drop box.

Link Posted: 10/26/2016 4:21:21 PM EDT
[#6]
I dropped mine at a ballot drop in town. However, wouldn't requiring stamps on a ballot be considered a poll tax?
Link Posted: 10/27/2016 4:04:52 PM EDT
[#7]
This is the issue that retard Podlodowski is referring to as Kim Wyman's attempt at "voter suppression"

If you cannot afford to get to a ballot drop box or use an extra stamp, I'm not really sure I trust your judgement to vote.
Link Posted: 10/27/2016 6:54:12 PM EDT
[#8]
Yes, requiring postage on the ballot would be a poll tax, and since this is a federal election the 26th amendment applies.  But the postage is on the envelope, not the ballot.  And like you said, they can drop it off at those secure boxes.

I'm sure there are lawyers who'd argue the case and in WA they'd probably win.  If they won, I think you'd be able to argue under the same reasoning that requiring people to have a pen to fill in the ballot is also a poll tax and now we have to provide a free pen with every ballot.  Requiring them to walk to their mailbox to receive and then again to mail it out is also a poll tax so they need to have a mailman come right to their bedside and hand it to them.  Those sorts of idiots will be the end of the republic.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Twenty-sixth_Amendment_to_the_United_States_Constitution

Just thinking about it makes me want to go back to land owners only.
Link Posted: 10/27/2016 11:28:27 PM EDT
[#9]
I drop mine at the library's collection box.   No stamps needed.  

Link Posted: 10/31/2016 11:31:36 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I drop mine at the library's collection box.   No stamps needed.  

View Quote

This ^^^

Gives my mailman who brings my Trump Swag no chance to "lose" my ballot should he be so inclined.
Link Posted: 11/7/2016 6:32:17 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
In Whatcom County the outside of the ballot envelope says "68 cents postage required if mailing" in the space where the stamp would go.
View Quote

Mine did too, but I just dropped it off.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top