URGENT - WEATHER MESSAGE
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE SEATTLE WA
323 AM PDT WED OCT 12 2016

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN SEATTLE HAS ISSUED A HIGH WIND
WATCH...WHICH IS IN EFFECT FROM THURSDAY EVENING THROUGH LATE
THURSDAY NIGHT.

* TIMING...STRONG WINDS COULD RISE ACROSS THE WESTERN WASHINGTON
 LOWLANDS EARLY THURSDAY EVENING...WITH WINDS LIKELY PEAKING
 AROUND MIDNIGHT OR DURING THE EARLY HOURS OF FRIDAY MORNING.

* WINDS...SOUTH TO SOUTHEAST WINDS 25 TO 40 MPH ARE POSSIBLE ALONG
 THE WASHINGTON COAST AND IN THE NORTH INTERIOR OF WESTERN
 WASHINGTON WITH GUSTS TO AROUND 60 MPH. WINDS IN THE PUGET SOUND
 REGION AND SOUTHWEST INTERIOR COULD REACH 20 TO 35 MPH WITH
 GUSTS 45 TO 55 MPH.

* IMPACTS...THE STRONG WINDS...IF THEY OCCUR...COULD BREAK TREE
 LIMBS AND TOPPLE SMALL TREES...AND THIS IS OCCASIONALLY A CAUSE
 OF FATALITIES DURING WESTERN WASHINGTON WIND STORMS. IN
 ADDITION...POWER OUTAGES ARE POSSIBLE.

PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS...

A HIGH WIND WATCH MEANS THERE IS THE POTENTIAL FOR DAMAGING WINDS.
SUSTAINED WINDS OF AT LEAST 30 TO 40 MPH...OR GUSTS OF 50 TO 60 MPH
OR STRONGER MAY OCCUR. CONTINUE TO MONITOR THE LATEST FORECASTS.
Link Posted: 10/12/2016 10:41:55 PM EDT
[#1]
Ran the generator today, fired up the chain saw and topped off the gas cans. Wife filled up the pantry.
Link Posted: 10/12/2016 11:23:08 PM EDT
[#2]
Wife told me read earlier that this is supposed to be the worst windstorm in the last 50 years. I really hope that is an exaggeration. i was hoping for a medium storm this weekend to keep the deer moving.
Link Posted: 10/13/2016 1:37:17 AM EDT
[#3]
The media will over play it as usual, >shruggs<

Sir James...
Link Posted: 10/13/2016 1:48:20 AM EDT
[#4]
I don't know about you guys, but I'm loading mags and getting body armor ready for the wind storm looters.

And if I have time on the weekend, maybe I'll get some batteries or a candle or something.
Link Posted: 10/13/2016 2:15:21 AM EDT
[#5]
Should be exciting! Supposedly Saturday should be sporty.
Link Posted: 10/13/2016 12:29:37 PM EDT
[#6]
The pressure gradients are supposed to indicate the strongest winds since some big storm in 1962.  I ran the generator last weekend and need to top off the gas cans for it on my way home tonight.  going to try grocery shopping either tonight or tomorrow because we usually go on Saturdays and we have family staying with us so we have a few extra mouths to feed.  I have been procrastinating getting a chain saw since we moved here a year ago but may have to this weekend.  We live on a few acres with lots of trees, down a dead end road lined with trees.  I may not have a choice.
Link Posted: 10/13/2016 5:44:30 PM EDT
[#7]
I bought 20 packs of Oreo Cookies, some red spray paint, filled up the car/truck/gas cans, looked at the generator and washed my socks.
Link Posted: 10/13/2016 5:48:54 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I bought 20 packs of Oreo Cookies, some red spray paint, filled up the car/truck/gas cans, looked at the generator and washed my socks.
View Quote

Hunting looters over bait is verboten.
Link Posted: 10/13/2016 8:11:00 PM EDT
[#9]
Huh, Haven't ran the genny since last winter, only have two cans of gas, and live 7 miles down a road that is my only way back to town that is lined with trees that are always coming down taking out the power lines. I might be screwed, but I also might have a reason to call in sick tomorrow.
Link Posted: 10/13/2016 9:49:15 PM EDT
[#10]
Imma ride out dis bitch like...

Link Posted: 10/14/2016 2:12:49 AM EDT
[#11]
The wind is kicking up.
Link Posted: 10/14/2016 2:31:55 AM EDT
[#12]
Please, Please, let Camp Murray be destroyed...
Link Posted: 10/14/2016 9:36:07 AM EDT
[#13]
Somebody turned on the douchenozzle this morning.
Link Posted: 10/14/2016 10:40:05 AM EDT
[#14]
Hillary is here today.
Link Posted: 10/14/2016 12:02:46 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Hillary is here today.
View Quote

Maybe a tree will conveniently fall.
Link Posted: 10/14/2016 6:05:46 PM EDT
[#16]
Several cases of beer and a keg (pushed by co2). I'm good to go. Oh yeah and the whole house genny plugged in and ready to go should I need it and probably 40+ gallons of gas. I don't plan on going anywhere. And if any of the trees around me fall I hope they fall on the neighbor.
Link Posted: 10/14/2016 6:38:08 PM EDT
[#17]
HOLY SHIT ITS HAPPENING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

Our power went out!!!.....for 3 seconds.
Link Posted: 10/14/2016 8:33:02 PM EDT
[#18]
I almost got blown off the roof I was trying to frame in Gig Harbor twice today, 32 sq.ft. of OSB actually makes a pretty good sail.

Didn't get my lumber drop either.  Evergreen shut down at 1:00 and called the trucks back.  Too much worry over accidents.
Link Posted: 10/14/2016 9:33:58 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

HOLY SHIT ITS HAPPENING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

Our power went out!!!.....for 3 seconds.
View Quote
DirecTV went glitchy for about 3 seconds as well.
Better print up t-shirts.

I'm not buying where the low tomorrow is projected to come ashore. Rain? Absolutely. An epic wind storm that will blow the homeless out of Seattle? Nope. Just like with the "storm" today, I'm sure we'll see the remains of Songda track further north.
Link Posted: 10/14/2016 10:28:10 PM EDT
[#20]
Well its a good thing I decided today to get ready for this. I taught my wife last year that when she turns the generator off to cut the fuel and let it run dry so I don't have to take the carb apart again and clean it. Well I filled up three cans of fuel today and then tried to start the genny, well she left fuel in it and I had to take it apart and clean it. She's home more than me is why she ends up setting it up. Were ready now.
Link Posted: 10/14/2016 10:47:11 PM EDT
[#21]
I have been working since 7pm yesterday.   It's going to be a bad storm. The power lines are falling faster than we can put them back up
Link Posted: 10/14/2016 11:28:45 PM EDT
[#22]
A little time lapse of our "storm" today. We'll see if it's more fun tomorrow.

Link Posted: 10/15/2016 12:37:36 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

I have been working since 7pm yesterday.   It's going to be a bad storm. The power lines are falling faster than we can put them back up
View Quote
Where are you guys working?

Weather today in my neck of the woods was equivalent to a day in late November. Periods of moderate rain that shifted to light showers and a light breeze that might have topped out around 15 mph. SE Pierce County was a bust today and I'm not thinking tomorrow afternoon will be that bad either based on today's weather. No way the storm tomorrow intensifies and slips further south despite the cries of the local weatherguys.
Link Posted: 10/15/2016 11:01:01 AM EDT
[#24]
Skagit and whatcom countries
Link Posted: 10/15/2016 11:46:55 AM EDT
[#25]
All is clam in my neck of da woots.  What time is the big wind s'possed to level everything ?
Link Posted: 10/15/2016 12:01:04 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
All is clam in my neck of da woots.  What time is the big wind s'possed to level everything ?
View Quote

Supposed to start around 4:00 for coastal areas.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 10/15/2016 12:50:36 PM EDT
[#27]
I don't believe anything will happen. Major bummer.

I was looking forward to some peace and quiet camping out at home for a couple days taking a break from the weirdness and noise of the daily grind.
Link Posted: 10/15/2016 1:20:42 PM EDT
[#28]
Pretty underwhelming so far for the "worst storm in 50 years".
Link Posted: 10/15/2016 1:24:30 PM EDT
[#29]
Generator is filled. Gas cans are filled with ethanol free fuel. Kero cans are full for the backup heater.

So far... worst storm in 50 years is disappointing.
Link Posted: 10/15/2016 1:42:06 PM EDT
[#30]
The big storm hasn't even hit yet...... what are you guys blabbering about?
Link Posted: 10/15/2016 1:51:43 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
View Quote

I'll believe it when I see it.

Meteorologists SUCK!
Link Posted: 10/15/2016 1:54:46 PM EDT
[#32]
Both chainsaws are fueled up and ready to go. I just need to find my creepy clown costume.
Link Posted: 10/15/2016 2:19:40 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
View Quote

STORMPOCALYPSE TO HIT ON FRIDAY!!!!! Meh...

STORMPOCALYPLE TO HIT FRIDAY NIGHT FOR SURE!!! I worked until 3am for that?

STORMPOCALYPSE WILL STRIKE SATURDAY MID-DAY FOR SURE!!! Bleh...

STORMPOCALYPSE WILL BE HERE SATURDAY NIGHT!!! FOR REALZ THIS TIME GUYZ!!! Not holding breath...

<Shaking fist at sky>Come on Mother Nature, hit us with your best shot! Show us what you've got!</Shaking fist at sky>

But yeah, this could be worse than the winter of 1996-97, when local news was suggesting that downtown Everettt might see up 3-4 feet of snow. We all died.
Link Posted: 10/15/2016 2:23:52 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

STORMPOCALYPSE WILL BE HERE SATURDAY NIGHT!!! FOR REALZ THIS TIME GUYZ!!! Not holding breath...

<Shaking fist at sky>Come on Mother Nature, hit us with your best shot! Show us what you've got!</Shaking fist at sky>

But yeah, this could be worse than the winter of 1996-97, when local news was suggesting that downtown Everettt might see up 3-4 feet of snow. We all died.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 10/15/2016 2:50:39 PM EDT
[#35]
I drug my generator out of the shed and the damn thing started first pull after 2 years of storage!    

Now the power won't go out for sure since I went thru the trouble.
Link Posted: 10/15/2016 3:59:43 PM EDT
[#36]
The Thursday night wind took down a tree in my back yard. Letting it sit until Sunday before dealing with it.
Link Posted: 10/15/2016 4:00:44 PM EDT
[#37]
Fuck me, one of the giant fir trees in our backyard was swaying pretty good yesterday and starting moving the dirt around the base. GF is convinced it's going to fall (which it might, the dirt moving is not good)..... on the neighbors we don't like. And she wants me to spend 2k today to get an emergency service to hack the top off and drop it in our yard before the winds pick up today, apparently one of the services may be able to make it out today before the winds pick up again.

WTF, if it falls on the neighbors house, their insurance covers it. The tree is not neglected and is healthy, just the ground is saturated there and the root system may be compromised from the storm, not us, the arborist guy that came by this morning and gave us the quote even said so (I didn't even know he was coming :|). I dont want to spend 2k+ out of pocket for this crap. We warned the neighbors, it is what it is, not my job to go crazy trying to get a last minute crew to rush up there and topple it.
Link Posted: 10/15/2016 5:15:40 PM EDT
[#38]
I punched my man card today and re certified for another year.  I dragged the generator out of the shed after several years of un-use.  I pulled the carb and checked it for crap and varnish and it looked pretty good...just a little crud in the bottom of the bowl.  I drained what little gas was still in the tank (came out red) and rinsed it with a little fresh gas.  Re-oiled the air filter and checked the crankcase oil (looked good).  Put in a half gallon or so of fresh, stabilized gas and fired it up on the first serious pull.  It loped a bit for a few minutes, but settled down.  We're ready...for probably nothing to happen.  I'm not set up to tie into the house, so we just use extension cords to power a few items at a time, like the fridge and some lights.

Interestingly, our longest power outage here (Dupont) since I got the generator came not due to a winter storm, but a summer event (don't recall exactly what).  That time, I hadn't even unboxed the genny yet, so I got to do that and the initial setup in the dark by flashlight in a 90 degree garage.

Rob
Link Posted: 10/15/2016 5:31:28 PM EDT
[#39]
Starting to get windy in McCleary.  Not where I live, but girlfriend down this way.  Hope she has a safe drive home.
Link Posted: 10/15/2016 6:00:10 PM EDT
[#40]
Now it's clear skies and calm.
Link Posted: 10/15/2016 6:33:07 PM EDT
[#41]
Raining, sunny, and windy at the moment here in south Thurston co.  Yelm was dark yesterday on my through after work.
Link Posted: 10/15/2016 7:18:39 PM EDT
[#42]
My power went out.
Link Posted: 10/15/2016 7:30:56 PM EDT
[#43]
Joke of a "monster storm" so far.

Just went to Tulalip from the city and back... Just some rain, not even that windy.
Link Posted: 10/15/2016 8:03:22 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Joke of a "monster storm" so far.

Just went to Tulalip from the city and back... Just some rain, not even that windy.
View Quote

Give it a few hours.
Link Posted: 10/15/2016 9:36:27 PM EDT
[#45]
The storm (as of about 10 minutes ago) just hit West Seattle.

If it stays like this I imagine we may not have power for long.
Link Posted: 10/15/2016 9:38:04 PM EDT
[#46]
6:37 p.m. report from North Bend, WA. .....sound of crickets outside. Wind currently 2 mph "gusting" to 4 mph. Absolutely quiet. Watching the TV weatherman explain why the storm never really arrived. All good I guess but I was so prepared for this one I was hoping it would arrive.
Link Posted: 10/15/2016 9:42:20 PM EDT
[#47]
IS IT HAPPENING?! Lights flickering... dumping hard now.
Link Posted: 10/15/2016 9:44:17 PM EDT
[#48]
It was odd. . . For about 5 minutes I got a glimpse of a full on storm.

Now it's subsided and it's just a windy night.

Those 5 minutes though I thought my windows were going to fly away.
Link Posted: 10/15/2016 9:45:13 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

IS IT HAPPENING?! Lights flickering... dumping hard now.
View Quote
Not here in the foothills.

All quiet here in Eatonville. Light rain. Wind gusting at a whopping 9mph
Link Posted: 10/15/2016 9:55:03 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
It was odd. . . For about 5 minutes I got a glimpse of a full on storm.

Now it's subsided and it's just a windy night.

Those 5 minutes though I thought my windows were going to fly away.
View Quote

Same.. I'm near Sand Point area.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top