Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/11/2016 10:30:45 AM EDT
I picked one up  on a whim last week.  No1 Mk4 just because I like old rifles and the price was right.  I don't know much about them. Anyone here have any love or hate for the rifle?  What is a good price for a good condition shooter?  anything specific I need to know or look at to figure out exactly what I have?  I have played the google game and do have some info from there but experience tells me it's better to get info from informed people than from the interwebs.  Thanks all.
Link Posted: 10/11/2016 12:52:05 PM EDT
[#1]

No 4 Mk 1 perhaps?  Or a No. 1 Mk 3 or 3*?  They're different rifles, so it helps t know which one you have specifically.

I love mine.  But they've imported ones in all sorts of conditions over the years, so it really depends on what you have.  Pics would help.  Markings on the receiver can tell a lot. The C&R forum is a good start here.
Link Posted: 10/12/2016 11:06:13 AM EDT
[#2]
A quick way to tell the difference: On the Number One rifles the stock ends clear out at the muzzle-- on a Number Four you will be able to see a couple inches of barrel in the front. I love my old SMLE's, had a great deal of fun with them when there were piles of surplus ammo around-- you can get quite quick working the action with a little practice.
Link Posted: 10/12/2016 12:33:25 PM EDT
[#3]
I have both, though many more No 1 Mk IIIs.  Both can be good shooters.  Value varies a LOT depending on condition, age, exact type, manufacturer, etc.  For example, original Mk IIIs with the magazine cutoff and volley sights still in place are very much desired by collectors and are few and far between.  A common Mk III* from 1918 that went through India and has an added screw through the foreend would be near the bottom of the spectrum.

Rob
Link Posted: 10/13/2016 12:17:50 PM EDT
[#4]
the barrel extends about 2 inches beyond the end of the stock. I'm almost positive it says mk4 on the action but I'll double check when I get home tonight.  The sights do flip up and are adjustable with a vertical screw when they are up.  It also has a brass cap on the butt stock.  does any of that help?
Link Posted: 10/13/2016 12:26:48 PM EDT
[#5]
It's probaly an No. 4 Mk I or II.
Link Posted: 10/14/2016 4:38:34 AM EDT
[#6]
I had a 1917 Lithgow once upon a time..should never have sold it..great rifle
Link Posted: 10/14/2016 11:45:36 PM EDT
[#7]
If it's a No. 4 Mk whatever, the left side of the receiver will be flat not rounded like the No. 1's
Link Posted: 10/17/2016 9:48:11 AM EDT
[#8]
To get the fastest rate of fire, work the bolt by holding it between index finger and thumb without letting go of the bolt knob, pull the trigger with your middle finger.  I may have a bayonet for a #4 mk1 around here somewhere.
Link Posted: 10/17/2016 10:55:30 AM EDT
[#9]
the trigger takes forever and is mushy but it did come with a spike bayonet and scabbard for it. looks to be in good shape, no rust showing and barrel is bright.  Guess I need to find some ammo and head to the range to see how it does.
Link Posted: 10/17/2016 2:14:06 PM EDT
[#10]
Back when I had a #4, I was looking on the Internet and found an old article about accurizing them that was similar to the Army marksmanship unit's instructions for accurizing Garands and M14's.  It actually made a noticeable difference in my rifle.
Link Posted: 10/17/2016 3:09:18 PM EDT
[#11]
thanks.  i'll have to look that up.
Link Posted: 10/17/2016 3:32:18 PM EDT
[#12]
Check this crazy Enfield-Mauser out...

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_6_14/470057_.html&page=1
Link Posted: 10/17/2016 9:39:04 PM EDT
[#13]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I
love my old SMLE's, had a great deal of fun with them when there were
piles of surplus ammo around-- you can get quite quick working the
action with a little practice.
View Quote

I remember my cosmoline filled Ishapore from AIM Surplus with a free SA BP shipped $179!!!
Luckily I was single then, stripped down, shoved in the apartment dishwasher with simple green on super hot.
I think she will get some range time this weekend.

Link Posted: 10/18/2016 12:24:32 PM EDT
[#14]
I have an SKS that I picked up still in the paper covered in the goop.  never issued, never shot with all original accessories for $175.  I still haven't cleaned it up or shot it. maybe one of these days.
Link Posted: 10/23/2016 5:35:02 PM EDT
[#15]
No.4s have a receiver sight, the rear sights on No. 1s are mounted forward of the receiver. The Enfield Accurizing book is here
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top