Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/17/2016 3:54:01 PM EDT
So I called the range and was told that if I want to shoot there, I need to be sponsored by someone with access. So I'm going to bring my fiancées grandfather, who is a veteran and goes there often. Does he just need to fill out paperwork for me? Will I get a pass?

2nd question is, the guy also told me that any rifle you bring to shoot must be registered there or it can be confiscated. I need to go to Woller Hall? How does that work? Thanks for any help
Link Posted: 9/18/2016 8:22:14 PM EDT
[#1]
Anybody?
Link Posted: 9/19/2016 12:55:09 AM EDT
[#2]
To get a pass you would go with him to the visitors center with an ID. I'm not sure if they are accepting standard WA drivers licenses right now or not. Earlier in the year they said they would stop to comply with the Real ID act, so you might need a passport or enhanced ID.

The pass just gets you through the gate. If you are coming from the east gate rd the gate is past the range, so you wouldn't need a pass to get there.

I have rarely heard of them asking any guests for their pass and AFAIK they only kick out the ones with no sponsor.

As far as registering your rifle i have only heard of that for hunting on base, and the form has to be signed by your commander so I don't know what would be done in your case.

I'd bet 1 in 1000 firearms at the range are registered.

Sorry I really can't be of much help as I've never had to bring a guest on base.

Link Posted: 9/19/2016 1:32:12 AM EDT
[#3]
a.) I've gone there 100% as .civ
b.) Nobody registers
Link Posted: 9/19/2016 3:12:02 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
b.) Nobody registers
View Quote

It seems odd that there is such a variance in answers. I've heard the same as you, and I've heard exactly the opposite. It may come down to who is staffing the range on any given day.
Link Posted: 9/19/2016 9:54:40 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

It seems odd that there is such a variance in answers. I've heard the same as you, and I've heard exactly the opposite. It may come down to who is staffing the range on any given day.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
b.) Nobody registers

Probably so, or what your appearance is.  The older guys that have generally been there are fun, and love seeing people come to shoot.  There was a younger guy who seemed to have no personality.  I still played it past him, but probably because I brought an actual sponsor.  Then again the sponsor didn't just come in until after I'd paid.
Link Posted: 9/19/2016 10:06:31 AM EDT
[#6]
Thanks guys. I would really like to shoot there. I'll go down to shoot with my fiancées grandpa as my sponsor. I read on the website you need an enhanced DL or passport for ID. I have a passport so I'll bring that.
Link Posted: 9/21/2016 3:09:09 AM EDT
[#7]
If you go with a servicemember or retiree they are considered trusted sponsors and you don't need to go get a pass if you don't go through main post.

Technically you are supposed to register any firearm that goes on post, to include the areas like Range 15 that are outside the secured zone. As soon as you leave the road onto the range you are on JBLM property.
It is a requirement, but it's not enforced... but it could be at anytime if the garrison commander or Provost Marshall decided to start enforcing it.
This is the form you'd need,
http://www.lewis-mcchord.army.mil/des/Vehicle%20_Weapon%20Registration%20Forms/HJB%20Form%20816-1%20Registration%20of%20Personal%20Firearms%20Non%20Military%202014.pdf
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top