Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/27/2016 9:18:11 AM EDT
It was only a matter of time.  The amount of stupidity and filth in this area was bound to get everyone thrown out of the sandbox.  Now we have a state senator backing local residents call for change.  Change in this sense will only come in one form.....  Ban.  Hope all of you tv shooting, trash leaving idiots are happy.  The amount of non-sense out there led me to buy my own property for shooting since I knew this behavior would impact all of us......

http://www.seattletimes.com/seattle-news/flying-bullets-target-shooting-trash-rile-greenwater-residents/

Link Posted: 8/27/2016 5:14:52 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
It was only a matter of time.  The amount of stupidity and filth in this area was bound to get everyone thrown out of the sandbox.  Now we have a state senator backing local residents call for change.  Change in this sense will only come in one form.....  Ban.  Hope all of you tv shooting, trash leaving idiots are happy.  The amount of non-sense out there led me to by my own property for shooting since I knew this behavior would impact all of us......

http://www.seattletimes.com/seattle-news/flying-bullets-target-shooting-trash-rile-greenwater-residents/

View Quote

I'd like to add, allot of garbage is also dumped by non shooters, who in turn pilfer for more things to shoot at, but yea a few bad eggs are ruining it for all of us.
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 5:49:08 PM EDT
[#2]
If you haven't heard they are cracking down all over. they are having meeting all over the state to discuss  the shooting on public land dilemmas. your spot wasn't special its just like all the other spots that are getting trashed and closed down.
Link Posted: 8/30/2016 12:29:18 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
If you haven't heard they are cracking down all over. they are having meeting all over the state to discuss  the shooting on public land dilemmas. your spot wasn't special its just like all the other spots that are getting trashed and closed down.
View Quote

My post has nothing to do with other than personal observation, I shoot on ranges that are privat or public just to avoid the issue of idiots who don't listen anyways
Link Posted: 8/30/2016 1:37:24 PM EDT
[#4]
in every instance I have seen, whenever there is a place that people can drive out and shoot on public land, eventually idiots take it over and leave all manner of trash they have shot up, beer cans, bottles, old Shot up TV sets and appliances laying around.  I participated in a cleanup in an area about 1.5 hours north of Seattle.  We removed mattresses, door frames, all the junk I mentioned above.  We took out two pickup trucks stacked high with trash.  When we returned 2 months later, it looked like we never took any stuff out of there.

Two months later, the road was closed.  I do not blame DNR for blocking access when people repeatedly trash areas.  It is no wonder places to shoot are being closed down.  It is the fault of the small minority of trash shooters.
Link Posted: 8/30/2016 2:45:18 PM EDT
[#5]
Sad but, unfortunately, true.  Used to go shooting up on mountain via logging road in Skagit that had multiple ranges spots, 1 offering a panoramic views of the north Sound.  It wasn't bad everywhere, but the usual spent SG shells & assorted trash was common.  Someone actually dumped a burnt out car hulk at the panoramic spot, & it got me wondering when the gate would get locked, which it eventually did.

I like to encourage people to use degradable targets & clay discs & such that won't stay in the environment.  Even steel shell casings will rust/rot away, unlike brass.  Anything that won't decay away in relative short time should be removed when you leave.  Unfortunately, we're running out of places.  A state designated site just outside of Sedro Wooley has been a pretty good location, & last I was there, I didn't note a trash "problem" per se, but honestly, it also wasn't pristine.  That was over a yr ago.  I have to wonder if it's on a list.
Link Posted: 8/30/2016 4:25:51 PM EDT
[#6]
State encouraging more public ranges would be a plus.

For example the entirety of Mason County has not a single operating private range open to the public. Why wouldn't the state allow shooters to have a designated range with scheduled cleanup and maintenance? Instead they just lock the gates to public lands,  only handing out keys to those who can pay for commercial access.
Link Posted: 8/30/2016 11:37:45 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View Quote

It's in work.
The DNR is trying to figure out how to incorporate dedicated shooting ranges on their land.
I went to a meeting on 01 Jun 16.
http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_8_15/600260_Protect_Target_Shooting_in_WA_State_Forests.html
Link Posted: 9/3/2016 3:45:36 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

It's in work.
The DNR is trying to figure out how to incorporate dedicated shooting ranges on their land.
http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_8_15/600260_Protect_Target_Shooting_in_WA_State_Forests.html
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's in work.

That would be awesome!
Link Posted: 9/3/2016 3:51:43 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
in every instance I have seen, whenever there is a place that people can drive out and shoot on public land, eventually idiots take it over and leave all manner of trash they have shot up, beer cans, bottles, old Shot up TV sets and appliances laying around.  I participated in a cleanup in an area about 1.5 hours north of Seattle.  We removed mattresses, door frames, all the junk I mentioned above.  We took out two pickup trucks stacked high with trash.  When we returned 2 months later, it looked like we never took any stuff out of there.

Two months later, the road was closed.  I do not blame DNR for blocking access when people repeatedly trash areas.  It is no wonder places to shoot are being closed down.  It is the fault of the small minority of trash shooters.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:
Sad but, unfortunately, true.  Used to go shooting up on mountain via logging road in Skagit that had multiple ranges spots, 1 offering a panoramic views of the north Sound.  It wasn't bad everywhere, but the usual spent SG shells & assorted trash was common.  Someone actually dumped had a burnt out car hulk the panoramic spot, & it got me wondering when the gate would get locked, which it eventually did.

I like to encourage people to use degradable targets & clay discs & such that won't be stay in the environment.  Even steel shell casings will rust/rot away, unlike brass.  Anything that won't decay away in relative short time should be removed when you leave.  Unfortunately, we're running out of places.  A state designated site just outside of Sedro Wooley has been a pretty good location, & last I was there, I didn't note a trash "problem" per se, but honestly, it also wasn't pristine.  That was over a yr ago.  I have to wonder if it's on a list.

I think it's not all shooters, but I have seen people dumping trash that's to big or won't fit in a trash can or just to expensive to dump, end up being targets of opertunity by shooters, and then giving the shooters the full bad rap, I'm betting the car hulk was shot up, old tvs, freezers, refrigerators, toilets, etc. it's a problem needing to be addressed not just by shooters, but how to get rid af some of this trash, so it gets hauled off, not dumped off.
Link Posted: 9/4/2016 7:57:39 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Sad but, unfortunately, true.  Used to go shooting up on mountain via logging road in Skagit that had multiple ranges spots, 1 offering a panoramic views of the north Sound.  It wasn't bad everywhere, but the usual spent SG shells & assorted trash was common.  Someone actually dumped had a burnt out car hulk the panoramic spot, & it got me wondering when the gate would get locked, which it eventually did.

I like to encourage people to use degradable targets & clay discs & such that won't be stay in the environment.  Even steel shell casings will rust/rot away, unlike brass.  Anything that won't decay away in relative short time should be removed when you leave.  Unfortunately, we're running out of places.  A state designated site just outside of Sedro Wooley has been a pretty good location, & last I was there, I didn't note a trash "problem" per se, but honestly, it also wasn't pristine.  That was over a yr ago.  I have to wonder if it's on a list.
View Quote

Do clay discs break down quickly?  I have a box, but I haven't shot them due to the mess they leave behind.

What I like to use are fruits and vegetables.  Especially potatoes and melons.  A 10# bag of potatoes is about $3.  You definitely know when you hit them, lol.
Link Posted: 9/4/2016 9:58:36 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

It's in work.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's in work.

When I lived in Idaho, there were dumpsters at the intersections of county roads. That's a good way to eliminate illegal dumping, by providing a convenient place to dispose of shit you cant easily get rid of.
Link Posted: 9/5/2016 8:48:56 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Do clay discs break down quickly?  I have a box, but I haven't shot them due to the mess they leave behind.

What I like to use are fruits and vegetables.  Especially potatoes and melons.  A 10# bag of potatoes is about $3.  You definitely know when you hit them, lol.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No, but they do claim to be biodegradable, but ones eve shot still have pieces still after over a year at one range.
Link Posted: 9/6/2016 1:00:42 PM EDT
[#13]
It's sad. We are our own worst enemy in many cases.

Every time I left a gravel pit, I always left with more than I came with. never seemed to matter, but still always did it.
Link Posted: 9/6/2016 1:27:30 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
It's sad. We are our own worst enemy in many cases.

Every time I left a gravel pit, I always left with more than I came with. never seemed to matter, but still always did it.
View Quote

I agree, if we'd all do that there wouldn't be the issues and closures were seeing now. The standard reason for closure is safety, but in reality I think in most cases it's the dumping, they just say safety. There used to be dumpsters around here as well but what happened was everyone started dumping all their garbage and they'd be full a day or two after their picked up and more garbage laying all around, she then they put locks on them and cut small openings on top, well that didn't work either people just dumped their trash on top or plugged the holes and left the rest so their gone now as well. Your right we are out worst enemies. I over heard some douche bags one time while getting gas that they were gonna go dump the old appliances they had in back at a place I knew was also used for shooting, called a sheriff friend of mine who went on up above where they were going to dump, waited until they were half way unloaded and went and popped them for illegal dumping, and since one was a refrigerator also got them for dumping hazardous waste!  I was glad he was on duty and had time, wouldn't have been long before they would have been all shot up, and our fault.
Link Posted: 9/6/2016 8:56:09 PM EDT
[#15]
^  Nice

You'd think the state would deploy game cams and crack down,  it seems to me like it must be a couple of offenders at each locstion
Link Posted: 9/6/2016 9:51:38 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

^  Nice

You'd think the state would deploy game cams and crack down,  it seems to me like it must be a couple of offenders at each locstion
View Quote
That's too proactive. That would be the action of someone looking for answers.

The state doesn't give a shit other than ultimately closing shooting areas down. Their token offer of helping to create DNR shooting ranges/areas is just that, a token offer.

It will never happen.

I'll keep shooting in my honey holes well off the beaten path. Can't haul a fridge into these places.
Link Posted: 9/6/2016 11:51:26 PM EDT
[#17]
All the spots my family used to use when I was a kid in SoCal are now closed, for the same reason.

Things are better across the sound, but it takes a long drive to get to them. My usual spot is an hour and a half away.
Link Posted: 9/7/2016 9:32:49 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View Quote

I go there a couple of times a year as my 10 year old son prefers it to the range we belong to on Whidbey and it usually seems pretty trashed to me.
Link Posted: 9/8/2016 10:44:24 PM EDT
[#19]
Sultan Basin Rec. Area 12 years ago, wasnt shooters illegally dumping BUT it was shooters shooting up the illegally dumped garbage and leaving it there.

Its a fight you cant win. After Sultan Basin was closed to shooting, the illegal dumping continued.
Link Posted: 9/9/2016 7:18:27 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

I go there a couple of times a year as my 10 year old son prefers it to the range we belong to on Whidbey and it usually seems pretty trashed to me.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I guess it's relative perception, but like I said, it's been a yr.  If it degrades enough to be a nuisance, it'll get shut, I'm sure.
Link Posted: 9/10/2016 3:02:22 PM EDT
[#21]
Ya Red

Years ago I was up there with my truck, I always took trash bags with me to pick up. This year I happened to be doing a dump run the next day so I figured I would load up with what ever I could since I was there.

I had 4 55 gal bags full, had loaded two of 7 tries I was going to take when a Forest Guy rolled up (may have been security for Wharehouser I forget now), he laughed and said "I normally bust guys for dumping, never seen any-one one picking up!".

It was shortly after that they no-trespassed the whole place.

Quoted:
Sultan Basin Rec. Area 12 years ago, wasnt shooters illegally dumping BUT it was shooters shooting up the illegally dumped garbage and leaving it there.

Its a fight you cant win. After Sultan Basin was closed to shooting, the illegal dumping continued.
View Quote

Link Posted: 9/10/2016 10:33:40 PM EDT
[#22]
The same thing happened on Weyerhaeuser land. they all used to be open to the public but assholes would take out all of their garbage and dump it. When they put up the gates, the garbage was then piled up in front of the gates. It's the people dumping junk that's the problem, but we don't do ourselves any favors when we shoot it all to pieces.
Link Posted: 9/11/2016 12:48:30 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Ya Red

Years ago I was up there with my truck, I always took trash bags with me to pick up. This year I happened to be doing a dump run the next day so I figured I would load up with what ever I could since I was there.

I had 4 55 gal bags full, had loaded two of 7 tries I was going to take when a Forest Guy rolled up (may have been security for Wharehouser I forget now), he laughed and said "I normally bust guys for dumping, never seen any-one one picking up!".

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Ya Red

Quoted:

I just shot after dark, back in the Surefire sales days. No one ever came up Sultan Basin after dusk. Had the place to myself , back when ammo was cheap and shooting for 2 or 3 hours was reasonably priced. Hindsight being 20/20, I should have been selling NV instead, and using that in the dark but the Surefires lit the targets up pretty well.

Link Posted: 9/11/2016 6:04:36 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Sad but, unfortunately, true.  Used to go shooting up on mountain via logging road in Skagit that had multiple ranges spots, 1 offering a panoramic views of the north Sound.  It wasn't bad everywhere, but the usual spent SG shells & assorted trash was common.  Someone actually dumped a burnt out car hulk at the panoramic spot, & it got me wondering when the gate would get locked, which it eventually did.

I like to encourage people to use degradable targets & clay discs & such that won't stay in the environment.  Even steel shell casings will rust/rot away, unlike brass.  Anything that won't decay away in relative short time should be removed when you leave.  Unfortunately, we're running out of places.  A state designated site just outside of Sedro Wooley has been a pretty good location, & last I was there, I didn't note a trash "problem" per se, but honestly, it also wasn't pristine.  That was over a yr ago.  I have to wonder if it's on a list.
View Quote

Alger mountain?

Wheres the spot outside Sedro, I would love to find a place to shoot. I went up Alger mountain a few weekends back, supposedly there is a gravel pit there somewhere but I couldnt find it.
Link Posted: 9/13/2016 3:16:06 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Alger mountain?

Wheres the spot outside Sedro, I would love to find a place to shoot. I went up Alger mountain a few weekends back, supposedly there is a gravel pit there somewhere but I couldnt find it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Alger mountain?

I think it was Alger Mt.  I remember taking SR-9 to Parson's Crk Rd to Alger Hill Rd, which led directly to the gravel road up the mountain.  I thought it was closed, but looking at it on maps, the old car hulk is gone from the spot we used to frequent.  Maybe it's cleaned & reopened, but I'd have to go see.
Link Posted: 9/13/2016 8:01:51 AM EDT
[#26]
Yes, that would be Alger Mtn.
Link Posted: 9/14/2016 6:12:47 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
View Quote

10 years ago on the very same topic.
Times have changed, in the past we would have NEVER given out a location of a favored shooting area.

Alger Mountian Granite Pit - AR15.Com Archive
Dec 7, 2006 - 36 posts
https://www.ar15.com/archive/topic.html?b=8&f=15&t=251581

Link Posted: 9/15/2016 3:06:00 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Times have changed, in the past we would have NEVER given out a location of a favored shooting area.

Dec 7, 2006 - 36 posts

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Dec 7, 2006 - 36 posts

And there You go, if you call Alger mtn a "favored" shooting spot, you ain't in the right spot.

I can hear people shooting at Alger mtn from my house, and I've been there 5 times in 18 years, that's how much I think it sucks.

And also why I PM'ed another member several MUCH better places to go.
Link Posted: 9/15/2016 10:14:21 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

View Quote
Nothing has changed. Just who's hanging out here.
The old ways are the best ways.

We might be a community of mostly like minded individuals but unless someone is a person I would call at 2 am for a shovel and a couple bags of lime, there's a limit to the things that I'm going to share with ARF "members".

Shooting honey holes is a big one.

I know that I have no desire to shoot up an old Sony Trinitron TV.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top