Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/20/2016 10:26:44 PM EDT
http://www.kitsapsun.com/news/local/kitsap-county-seeks-to-shutter-gun-club-over-missed-permit-deadline-3a5ca86c-5de1-5f53-e053-0100007f-390614471.html

In a contempt-of-court motion filed Thursday, Kitsap County again is seeking to shut down operations at Kitsap Rifle and Revolver Club's shooting range on Seabeck Highway.

The club failed to meet a court-ordered deadline of Aug. 3 for submitting a land-use application, according to documents filed with Pierce County Superior Court. In an order filed Feb. 5, Superior Court Judge Susan Serko gave the club 180 days to file for a permit to cover construction work that should have had an approved permit when the work was done about 10 years ago.

The contempt motion calls for ceasing operations at the gun range until an application is submitted for what is called a "site development activity permit." A hearing on the motion is scheduled for Aug. 26 in Pierce County.

Marcus Carter, executive officer for the gun club, said the club had been working with a professional environmental firm, Soundview Consultants, to compile information for the land-use permit. But when the club's insurance company balked at paying the firm, the work came to a halt. Now, the club is taking legal action against the insurer, he said.

Meanwhile, the club has been focused on a new county ordinance that requires a permit to operate a shooting range, and the club is tied up with two separate legal appeals.

"It is not an issue where we pooh-poohed this off," Carter said of the court order. "A lot of work has been done. Now club members are working feverishly to at least get an application filed."

Carter said he had been under the impression that the permit would need to be approved within 180 days — a time frame that was practically impossible. Now he realizes that the court order simply calls for an application to be submitted, and he believes that club volunteers will soon file that document.

The first order from Serko followed a long trial in 2010. She ordered that the shooting range essentially be shut down until the club obtained land-use permits to correct the zoning violations. The state Court of Appeals agreed with Serko that the site development was unlawful, but the court ruled that shutting down the range was not the correct remedy.

Shooting resumed pending a new ruling by Serko, although the facility was essentially shut down again until the club applied for an operational permit under the new shooting-range ordinance. That order, from Kitsap County Superior Court Judge Jay Roof, was lifted after the club applied — under protest — for the operational permit.

In the latest filing, the county's motion states: "KRRC and its counsel were present at the Feb. 5 hearing during which the order was entered. KRRC and its counsel were aware of the 180-day submittal deadline. This deadline passed on Aug. 3, 2016. Despite this, KRRC has not submitted an application for its (site development activity permit). Accordingly, KRRC intentionally violated the supplemental judgment and should be found in contempt."

The order of contempt should be issued to prevent the gun club from operating its shooting range until the land-use application is submitted, the motion states, adding that the club should be required to pay $1,950 — the cost of preparing the contempt-of-court documents.
View Quote

The same judge that thinks rifle ranges aren't actually exempt from noise ordinances from 7am to 10 pm (per state law), that rifles >30 caliber are somehow unsuitable for hunting or use at a rifle range, and that a caliber restriction is a suitable means of ensuring safety and limiting noise is the one who is going to decide if the KRRC is in contempt.

Randy
Link Posted: 8/21/2016 1:25:10 AM EDT
[#1]
Seems to me that the land use is pretty well established.

What 'development' is in question and why does it go by for 10 years without a complaint?

Here's the big one: What other developments have happened within the last 10 years that have gone un-permitted?

The city of Tacoma shut up after I pointed that out when they hassled me over my driveway.  Cite everyone or cite no one.
Link Posted: 8/21/2016 1:12:39 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Seems to me that the land use is pretty well established.

What 'development' is in question and why does it go by for 10 years without a complaint?

Here's the big one: What other developments have happened within the last 10 years that have gone un-permitted?

The city of Tacoma shut up after I pointed that out when they hassled me over my driveway.  Cite everyone or cite no one.
View Quote

IIRC KRRC bulldozed over a section of marshland that was on their property. Stuff that the county doesn't care about if anyone else does it, but the county wants to (or has intense pressure to) shut down KRRC and is looking for any excuse to do it.
Link Posted: 8/21/2016 4:34:36 PM EDT
[#3]
As far as I know the permit was about improving the berms; a permit is required when moving more than a certain about of dirt.  How much wetland was covered depends upon who you ask.  Some drainage was installed that kept the center of the rifle line dry.

Randy
Link Posted: 8/22/2016 12:05:59 PM EDT
[#4]
Gig Harbor is going through some of the same.  The city is claiming we are polluting the 'stream' that is behind the trap fields.  That 'stream' wasn't there until all the development started by Costco and more water got dumped onto our parcel.

Do they have a survey to point to that says you had wetland?

Much of the 'wetland' out that way got declared that way in large chunks and they required a survey to get it declared otherwise.
Link Posted: 8/22/2016 1:06:55 PM EDT
[#5]
I don't know anything about the wetland or how it was surveyed.
Link Posted: 8/22/2016 2:03:02 PM EDT
[#6]
Who in the county is pushing this?  Are they elected?  Are they up for reelection this year? I'm getting really sick of this.  All I want is somewhere close where I can go  pull the trigger now and then, sight in a few things and shoot a competition when I feel like it.  Is that too much??
Link Posted: 8/22/2016 7:08:33 PM EDT
[#7]
Good question. Whoever it is it seems that CK Safe and Quiet has them on speed dial.
Link Posted: 8/23/2016 9:34:30 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Who in the county is pushing this?  Are they elected?  Are they up for reelection this year? I'm getting really sick of this.  All I want is somewhere close where I can go  pull the trigger now and then, sight in a few things and shoot a competition when I feel like it.  Is that too much??
View Quote

Yes it is too much for some people in Kitsap County.  Several weeks ago I was at the range with two suppressed rifles, two guys on another bench were shooting an AR-15 in 5.56.  The police showed up after a neighbor called to complain about the noise; of guns >30 caliber being used.  It is all about any guns being used at the club.

It is the County Commissioners.  The Commissioners were elected by a large margin, they have nothing to fear from the voters until things change; meaning more people can be bothered to vote to replace them.   The Commissioners brought the lawsuit against the KRRC.  The Commissioners put together the DCD which make recommendations and helps write new ordinances.  The Commissioners passed the new ordinance which requires a permit to operate a rifle range.  The County opposed the use of noise abatement at rifle ranges, right after they sued the KRRC.

300 people sided with CKSQ; ten times that number sided with the KRRC.  Most of the quarter million people in Kitsap County don't give a damn either way.

Randy
Link Posted: 8/26/2016 6:19:04 PM EDT
[#9]
http://www.kitsapsun.com/news/kitsap-rifle-and-revolver-club-given-90-days-to-apply-for-permit-3afef175-6d75-234f-e053-0100007f66a-391432251.html

Kitsap Rifle and Revolver Club has been given 90 days to apply for a land-use permit to avoid a contempt-of-court ruling by a judge in Pierce County Superior Court.

Attorneys for the club and for Kitsap County appeared Friday before Judge Susan Serko, who declined to shut down the club's operations, as county attorneys had requested. The judge stated clearly, however, that she would not tolerate ongoing delays.

The club missed a 180-day deadline set by Serko's ruling in February, when she laid down conditions for the club to continue operations at its shooting range on Seabeck Highway. The Washington State Court of Appeals has since stayed some of those conditions, but the requirements related to alleged land-use violations were not appealed.

Brooks Foster, the club's attorney, told the judge that the club has done its best to meet the deadline for submitting its application for a "site development activity permit." But the club's insurance company, which has paid the club's legal costs in its lawsuit with the county, has so far declined to pay for work needed to complete the application.

The club simply does not have the financial resources on its own to pay the $158,000 it would take for site analysis, plans and other documents needed to submit a complete application, according to Foster. He said he is negotiating with the insurer, Northland Insurance Company, and will take the company to court, if necessary, to obtain coverage.
View Quote

$158,000 is much more than the KRRC has in the bank according to their latest 990 form.

"One of the questions I have," said Serko, "is why did the club not come to the court and say this is impossible, that 180 days is too short. Why not come back to the court and say you need more time."

Foster said he advised the county's attorneys of his efforts to get Northland to commit to payment, and he asked the county attorneys to hold off on a warrant of abatement — which he thought was the county's next move. Foster said he was completely surprised by the county's contempt-of-court motion.
View Quote

I'm not surprised.

Christy Palmer, attorney for the county, said an abatement action is an "extreme remedy" that could require county money to remove shooting bays constructed without permits and to restore damaged wetlands. A lien could be placed on the property to recover the costs, but there is little assurance that the costs could be recovered.

Foster argued that a contempt-of-court citation is not appropriate because the club does not have the ability to perform as required by the February court order. He said the club would be willing to provide regular progress reports on efforts to get the insurance company to pay.

Serko said it appears the club wants her to "throw up my hands " and recognize that the club cannot comply with her order.

"I am not going to involve myself in a third-party insurance case," she said, adding that she would give the club 90 days to file the required permit. "If it is not done, the court would be inclined, frankly, to find contempt at that time."

In the meantime, if the county chooses to move forward with abatement of improper land-use activities on the property, that would be appropriate, Serko said.

County code states that such an application expires 90 days after the application is submitted unless it is renewed, according to county officials.

Palmer said the club could refile the application, but she declined to say what action the county might take under the ordinance that allows shooting ranges to operate only when they have an approved operating permit.
View Quote

Randy
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 12:50:59 PM EDT
[#10]
So the county will just give the club two choices,  abide by the ruling and go bankrupt paying for the site survey,  or shut down.

What the hell kind of survey costs nearly 160 grand?
Link Posted: 9/30/2016 2:50:45 PM EDT
[#11]
The County asked Judge Roof to shut down the club for failure to submit a completed permit application.  The Judge told the KRRC to submit another application and refused the County's request to shut down the club.

Kitsap sun article

PORT ORCHARD — The Kitsap Rifle and Revolver Club won't have to immediately stop shooting at its Central Kitsap range because it has been operating without a permit, a judge ruled Thursday, as the club refiled its application for an operations permit that morning.
Attorneys for the county had asked retired Kitsap Superior Court Judge Jay Roof, who is hearing the gun club case, to order the club to cease operations after the club's pending operating permit application expired in August.

County officials had begun reviewing the application but stopped the process for 90 days to give the club time to address questions and deficiencies. The club also could have requested an extension.
The club did neither, county attorneys contend, and let the application expire so they asked Roof to shut down shooting and not let it resume until the club reapplies and has its application approved.

However, at the beginning of the hearing Thursday, club attorney Bruce Danielson said the club had refiled its application that day and included 30 pages of additional documentation.
Postponing the hearing, which in effect keeps the gun range open, Roof emphasized that the club should make a "good faith" effort to complete its operating permit application and set another court hearing for Feb. 2.

Danielson told Roof the club relies on volunteers to work on the application.
"These are untreaded waters for them, there has been some confusion and misunderstandings, we acknowledge that," Danielson said.

The latest turn in the legal saga between the range and the county centers on a county requirement, approved in 2014, that shooting ranges have an operating permit.
The club submitted an application for the permit "under protest" in March but in May the county sent a letter back to the club requesting it address questions about the application.

"There has been no communication that I am aware of" since then, Deputy Prosecutor Christy Palmer told Roof.
The operating permit is separate from a land-use permit, which the club and county have been litigating as well.
View Quote

Link Posted: 10/1/2016 12:30:40 PM EDT
[#12]
Wow that is surprising and fortunate.

Did the club really fail to submit an application? Or was this a case of some onerous requirements artificially preventing them from doing so?
Link Posted: 10/1/2016 1:59:11 PM EDT
[#13]
At some point people will get to the point where they are finished with those that are elected and will VOTE THEM OUT.  Until then we are serfs.  Get pissed and fix the issue.  No amount of whining will do.

SFC out.
Link Posted: 10/2/2016 11:52:45 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Wow that is surprising and fortunate.

Did the club really fail to submit an application? Or was this a case of some onerous requirements artificially preventing them from doing so?
View Quote

An application was submitted for the use permit which is now required by Kitsap County Code.  It was deemed incomplete by the county official who accepted it, the club then supplied more info.  The county wanted still more info which the club did not provide for some reason so the application was not approved and the county wanted to shut the club down again.

A separate issue is the requirement for the club to submit an application for a permit for work done ten years ago.
Link Posted: 10/2/2016 11:55:21 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
At some point people will get to the point where they are finished with those that are elected and will VOTE THEM OUT.  Until then we are serfs.  Get pissed and fix the issue.  No amount of whining will do.
View Quote

Kitsap county has about a quarter of a million people in it.  Since most gun owners don't use a rifle range (they rarely/never shoot or use the woods) the shooting area issue seems to be a concern for less than 2% of the people in Kitsap County.
Link Posted: 10/5/2016 10:54:48 PM EDT
[#16]
In all this, it seems that the often vaunted NRA and their legal group are nowhere to be seen.   The apparent lack of concern, or assistance from the NRA is disappointing, but not surprising.   Apparently KRRC just doesn't have enough media coverage to make their plight worth the NRA's time.  

I really wish someone could show that the NRA is helping a local club.
Link Posted: 10/6/2016 4:06:48 AM EDT
[#17]
NRA doesn't care about Washington from what I've read, to blue.
Link Posted: 12/2/2016 11:11:09 PM EDT
[#18]
http://www.kitsapsun.com/news/seabeck-gun-range-to-close-under-latest-court-order-42b4c2e8-019f-7a66-e053-0100007f0140--404340646.html

The range was shutdown again.  

Kitsap Rifle and Revolver Club has been ordered to cease all shooting at its gun range on Seabeck Highway until the club obtains a permit to bring the range into compliance with county land-use regulations.

The contempt of court order, issued Friday in Pierce County Superior Court, comes after officials for the club reported that they have no money to even apply for the permit, which is needed to correct land-use violations involving clearing, grading and other construction done years ago without permits.

The gun club is still involved in a separate lawsuit regarding a new county operating permit required of shooting ranges in unincorporated Kitsap County. The club applied for that permit under protest but has not yet provided certain information requested by the county. Portions of both lawsuits are pending before the state court of appeals.
View Quote

This sucks.  I'm not on the club's board of director's so I don't really know how or why they do things there.

There is an FAQ on the County's website here; http://www.kitsapgov.com/dcd/documents/FAQ%20-%20updated%208.16.2016.pdf

I think it is rather biased against the range.  Nothing about the County's attempt to prohibit the use of noise abatement the year they sued.  I wrote to the DCD to request they update their FAQ to include the County's attempt to undermine attempts to be less noisy but it seems they are not interested in enlightening me on the issue.
Link Posted: 12/3/2016 6:50:34 PM EDT
[#19]
Their Facepage has more info about it. Sounds like they are hopeful that an appeal hearing will get them out of it yet again, I sure hope so cause it's the only range in this area worth going to IMO. 
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top