Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/9/2016 2:46:54 PM EDT
Wife got offered a job in n oly pay is nice and would be worth relocating, but I have no idea what its like down there
Besided the hive of looters at the capitol.  We live in Snohomish county so it would be big move. What is the true story
Aboit crime/ homeles/ urban victim situation, places to shoot outside ( pits and forrest )  etc.

I am used to liberals and hipsters, just want to avoid trasing more crime for mote money, we have a new born as well so
That is a consideration.Up north we have acess to pits,Bars etc.

Any info is appreciated
Link Posted: 8/9/2016 3:36:12 PM EDT
[#1]
In downtown, see below

Link Posted: 8/9/2016 4:47:33 PM EDT
[#2]
For urban/suburban Washington, it's serene.
Link Posted: 8/9/2016 6:16:04 PM EDT
[#3]
I work in Olympia. It's not horrible but as was previously mentioned there's a good amount of homeless. Getting around depends on when you're trying to go somewhere. Lunch times and rush hour after work can be irritating.

It's really not THAT bad. You could do a whole lot worse.Plus nobody said you had to live in Olympia too.
Link Posted: 8/11/2016 9:23:40 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Wife got offered a job in n oly pay is nice and would be worth relocating, but I have no idea what its like down there

Besided the hive of looters at the capitol.  We live in Snohomish county so it would be big move. What is the true story

Aboit crime/ homeles/ urban victim situation, places to shoot outside ( pits and forrest )  etc.
I am used to liberals and hipsters, just want to avoid trasing more crime for mote money, we have a new born as well so

That is a consideration.Up north we have acess to pits,Bars etc.
Any info is appreciated
View Quote

There are plenty of areas around Oly that you can live in (Yelm/Ranier, east of Capitol Forest) where you can get a nice bit of land & not have to put up with the hippies/hipsters/bums & sanctimonious SJWs of Olympia-proper and it's near-suburbs... The city government can get a bit on the freak-show side (Their current crusade: a 'city income tax' to provide 'free college'. Hasn't passed yet, might not even be legal, but they are trying), but if you do not actually LIVE in Oly that doesn't actually apply to you....

Added bonus to not living in Olympia, Tumwater, Lacey or Hawk's Prairie: Better houses for less money, outside of urban growth.

As long as your commute route isn't on I-5, you'll have a nice pleasant drive to/from work. The Army owns alot of the land to the southeast (and leaves it undeveloped), so there is very little population-density, and thus almost no traffic, along that route....

A bunch of us were just out shooting at a gravel pit in Capitol Forest this past weekend...

I work in the state capitol complex... I live south of Yelm... It works....
Link Posted: 8/11/2016 11:10:28 PM EDT
[#5]
Lower auto insurance and property tax rates should be a bonus for you compared to SnoHo.

Rob
Link Posted: 8/11/2016 11:34:11 PM EDT
[#6]
I live in McCleary.  Nice small town.  20 miles from Oly.  20 minutes to west Oly.  30 minutes to Hawks Prairie.  

No traffic.  Minimal crime.  Decent area.

Downtown Oly is annoying.  You don't have to go there.  I don't. The rest of Oly, Lacey, Tumwater is actually pretty nice.
Link Posted: 8/16/2016 10:22:08 AM EDT
[#7]
I'm strongly considering re-locating out to the Olympia area and starting fresh.

It'll be a long distance move and I'd have to go feet first, but I'm seeing if I can't find something at the state government in the meanwhile.

Link Posted: 8/16/2016 11:06:55 AM EDT
[#8]
As a tourist from outside of Portland it seems to be great area (similar problems as Portland? perhaps). Go left and you have beach, the west sound, and mountains...east? Mountains. As mentioned, lots of places to live outside of the city proper.
Link Posted: 8/16/2016 11:54:16 AM EDT
[#9]
If I could get a job that paid what I make now, I'd move so fast it would make the world spin.

There are a million places in every direction under a half hour out of the city.
Fuck that would be a great move from king county. Snohomish too I suspect.
Link Posted: 8/17/2016 2:40:01 AM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
If I could get a job that paid what I make now, I'd move so fast it would make the world spin.

There are a million places in every direction under a half hour out of the city.

Fuck that would be a great move from king county. Snohomish too I suspect.
View Quote

If my wife could get a transfer down there we'd be moving in heartbeat. Maybe in unincorporated Thurston county instead of one of the cities. Lacey seems decent also, a couple of the guys I work with live in the city limits and like it. If not so expensive now Yelm would be a good choice also.
Link Posted: 8/17/2016 8:29:22 PM EDT
[#11]
You can be fairly rural areas, within a very short drive of downtown.

There are the idiots in the big buildings, the homeless is not a big issue for the most part, better than Seattle, there are a bunch of libtard hippy types still thinking it is 1969, but harmless other than they can vote.
Link Posted: 8/18/2016 2:07:57 PM EDT
[#12]
Yelm...I live there. It's awesome!!
Link Posted: 8/18/2016 8:12:06 PM EDT
[#13]
I live in Lacey, work on the east side of Olympia. My wife works downtown. I have clients downtown.

It's not bad. You're not going to get mugged in Oly during the day. Probably not at night either.

Quick anecdote about downtown from the other day. I walked into one of our clients offices and said, "Wow, the warm weather really brings out the short skirts and short-shorts ... and what the women are wearing isn't bad either." Everyone thought it was hilarious.

It's a freak show, but a fairly harmless one. 95% of the crime is confined to the Capitol building.
Link Posted: 8/18/2016 8:18:23 PM EDT
[#14]
I've lived in the Olympia/Lacey area since 2011.  Love it.  Moved away in February.  Lots of conservatives despite being a well known hippy area.
Link Posted: 8/18/2016 10:40:49 PM EDT
[#15]
I've lived in Olympia most of my 50 years, grew up on Cooper Pt. but now live in S.E. Olympia. I live in a great neighborhood, my kids walked to the grade school, middle and high school (which are great schools) and I'm 3 minutes from I-5, Hwy. 101 and Yelm Hwy, it suites my family quite well.
Link Posted: 8/22/2016 9:43:43 PM EDT
[#16]
I live a little ways south outside Tenino and commute to JBLM.  It's worth it.  Commuting to Olympia would be easier yet.
Link Posted: 8/22/2016 10:10:18 PM EDT
[#17]
If my wife and I could find jobs down there, I'd would have no issues moving down to Thurston or Lewis Counties.
Link Posted: 8/23/2016 6:52:17 PM EDT
[#18]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Yelm...I live there. It's awesome!!
View Quote

This.
Link Posted: 8/23/2016 7:31:56 PM EDT
[#19]
Ok, before the beatniks and transplants find this thread, can we lock it up and archive it.  The place is hipster enough w/Evergreen and the "capital" crazies - no need to attract more.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top