Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/4/2016 12:03:32 AM EDT
Lived in WA less than a year so apologies if I'm out of my lane, but I am hoping to stay in the state when I get out of the military next year. To get to the point, I think conservative groups in Washington state should make an active effort to recruit gun-owning refugees from California to move to the state. I'm talking a focused media barrage playing up how the PNW shares many of California's positives (a cosmopolitan city in Seattle, world-class outdoor activities) without the awful politics, at least at the state level. I realize that trying to attract Californians to move to your state might be playing with fire but I figure a) the wrong types of Californians are already spreading like locusts over the entire country west of the Mississippi anyway and b) by specifically focusing on selling WA's gun laws as a positive you'd hopefully weed out most of the libtards (this could have an added benefit of causing libtards who were already planning to move north to rethink things).

Conservative Californians need a refuge and Washington could use some conservative reinforcements to balance out the other Californians. What do you guys think?
Link Posted: 7/4/2016 12:43:14 AM EDT
[#1]
Umm, I'm gonna have to say no to all of that. There are way too many people moving here already. It needs to stop.

Edit: They can go to Texas.
Link Posted: 7/4/2016 2:38:50 AM EDT
[#2]
Born here and raised here.  

I think we're about full here at this point...  Traffic is bad enough and housing is officially out of control, so why advertise to add to the problem??

I heard that there is plenty of room for Californians in Arizona and Nevada.

Link Posted: 7/4/2016 5:36:20 AM EDT
[#3]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Umm, I'm gonna have to say no to all of that. There are way too many people moving here already. It needs to stop.

Edit: They can go to Texas.
View Quote
Been here 16 years at this point.

WA is full. If we work out an exchange program, I'll be up for it. There is no such thing as a Conservative Californian. They left the state years ago. Unless we're using the newly redefined idea of a conservative that Trump supporters are pushing these days.
Link Posted: 7/4/2016 12:43:40 PM EDT
[#4]
There are real conservatives left in California. The idea of leaving everything you know and moving somewhere new is still a scary proposition. I know several people down there that are just holding on until they can retire. As soon as they can quit working they will move. I have a lot of family down there and they stay because that is where they have always lived. They refuse to leave, refuse to comply, and just go on living their lives the way they always have.

How many people moved out of Washington because of I-594? I will tell you I do not know a single person that did. People either adapt to the new way things are done, or ignore the changes and go about things the way they used too. Most conservative people that are looking to flee California want to go some place more conservative than Washington. In case you have not noticed it has been a long time since this was a red state. Why move here when we are following the same path that screwed up California.
Link Posted: 7/4/2016 3:21:22 PM EDT
[#5]
What we really need to do is convince some of the libtards to leave.
Link Posted: 7/4/2016 3:32:38 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote

AMEN!
Link Posted: 7/4/2016 4:32:40 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View Quote

I agree, but HOW???  Maybe Boeing finally leaves the area???  Microsoft isn't going to leave...
Link Posted: 7/4/2016 8:00:21 PM EDT
[#8]
Californians are moving here whether we like it or not... hopefully some conservative ones make their way up here.
Link Posted: 7/4/2016 10:41:40 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Californians are moving here whether we like it or not... hopefully some conservative ones make their way up here.
View Quote

This is pretty much my thought process. Californians are moving north anyway...why not try to get some of the good ones?

California is a huge state, there are millions of conservatives there...and an ad campaign emphasizing Washington's pro-2A credentials might not only attract them, but scare off the libtard Californians from moving to Seattle because the Bay Area has gotten too expensive.
Link Posted: 7/5/2016 9:46:07 PM EDT
[#10]
WA does not have much to offer in the way of 2A credentials. NV, AZ and TX have us on all fronts when it comes to that. 594 took away one of the coolest things about our gun laws.
Link Posted: 7/5/2016 10:33:29 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

WA does not have much to offer in the way of 2A credentials. NV, AZ and TX have us on all fronts when it comes to that. 594 took away one of the coolest things about our gun laws.
View Quote
A voice of reason appears.

We don't have much left and it's quickly going to be completely out of our hands.

If 1491 gets passed, we are well and truly fucked. State constitution be damned.

Link Posted: 7/6/2016 12:55:25 AM EDT
[#12]
No thanks.  They still vote to fuck themselves regardless of their "conservative" status.
Link Posted: 7/6/2016 2:20:43 AM EDT
[#13]
a. we're full
b. i'm not sure how this would work on a practical level
c. if I was a Californian and I was concerned about gun rights, WA is not a state I would choose to move to. The 'universal background check" initiative passing with landslide numbers tells me two things: the voters are anti-gun, and the anti-2A forces are going to barrage voters with anti-gun initiatives in future years....and thanks to Seattle, most will probably pass.

Because of C, I'm not sure how many you could get...and even if there were some, how would you entice them?
Link Posted: 7/6/2016 6:47:05 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote

Don't forget how good you still have it over Ca  even though there has been a push towards anti 2A as of late , you have no Idea how exciting just seeing mags over 10 rounds in a store and fireworks is enough to bring a tear of happiness to a former hostage of Ca laws . I can finally carry a concealed weapon legally and shoot my sbr suppressed and use the mag release which was but a fantasy when still in Ca .
Link Posted: 7/6/2016 10:43:56 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
No thanks.  They still vote to fuck themselves regardless of their "conservative" status.
View Quote

Just like "we" voted in 594.
Link Posted: 7/6/2016 10:50:18 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Don't forget how good you still have it over Ca  even though there has been a push towards anti 2A as of late , you have no Idea how exciting just seeing mags over 10 rounds in a store and fireworks is enough to bring a tear of happiness to a former hostage of Ca laws . I can finally carry a concealed weapon legally and shoot my sbr suppressed and use the mag release which was but a fantasy when still in Ca .
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I remember, left CA for good in 2000. I remeber finding out my AK was illegal there after driving down from Washington with it in the trunk of my car. I also remember being told I could not buy a handgun without a safety cert from a class, even though I was an active duty Marine. We are heading in the direction CA took in the late 80's/ early 90's. Too many here do not realize when things change how quickly it can happen.
Link Posted: 7/6/2016 11:14:16 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:                                                                                                   We are heading in the direction CA took in the late 80's/ early 90's. Too many here do not realize when things change how quickly it can happen.
View Quote
We're already there. Soak it up and enjoy everything while you can.

594 was the death rattle of our state. 1491 passing in the fall will be the dirt hitting the coffin. There will be no turning back. We already know that the state legislature doesn't give a shit about our state constitution or initiatives that usurp their powers/don't make them look good.

Our state courts aren't any better and while so much political capital was spent on NFA items, nobody thought to watch the backdoor. Bloomberg, Bezos, The Gates, etc. all are working off a well established playbook. I've seen plenty of shit for 1491 but not one dissenting commercial saying no to 1491.
Link Posted: 7/7/2016 1:24:10 AM EDT
[#18]
Unless the rediculous amount of power the liberals have given Seattle to rule the state can be wrenched from their claws it won't matter how many conservative former Californians like me move up here.
Link Posted: 7/7/2016 11:12:21 PM EDT
[#19]
Washington was officially full in 1967, the day Evergreen State College was founded.

I say this as an Evergreen graduate.
Link Posted: 7/10/2016 4:51:46 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
a. we're full
b. i'm not sure how this would work on a practical level
c. if I was a Californian and I was concerned about gun rights, WA is not a state I would choose to move to. The 'universal background check" initiative passing with landslide numbers tells me two things: the voters are anti-gun, and the anti-2A forces are going to barrage voters with anti-gun initiatives in future years....and thanks to Seattle, most will probably pass.

Because of C, I'm not sure how many you could get...and even if there were some, how would you entice them?
View Quote

Having moved from CA to WA last year (and lived in NC and PA before that) there is no comparison between the gun laws of the two states. The "universal background check" thing sucks, but in reality it's more a pain in the ass than an actual infringement and a far less pressing concern than the shit California had to deal with even before the most recent round of anti-2A legislation--magazine capacity limits, no concealed carry except in the rural counties, AWB, etc. To address your other concerns:

A. Californians are going to move to Washington anyway...the economy is growing, the lifestyle in Seattle is similar to SF, and the cost of living while high is a hell of a lot lower than most of CA. So I figure you can either piss into the wind or actively try to attract conservative Californians.

B. What about an ad campaign targeted specifically targeted at Californian gun owners? Stress the fact that WA shares many of CA's positive aspects while still being pretty gun-friendly and hasn't been completely taken over by the libtards, at least on the state level. The secondary aim of this would be to widely publicize the fact that there are a lot of big scary guns in WA and people can carry them in public--try to scare off some of the libtards from moving north.

C. WA (or OR) will be less of a culture shock for a lot of Californians, especially northern Californians, than AZ or TX. As it stands right now, with the exception of UBC Washington's laws are gun-friendly and like I said, I'll take UBC over capacity limits and no-issue CCW any day of the week.
Link Posted: 7/10/2016 4:59:05 PM EDT
[#21]
My point is that the 594 vote indicates that it's just the beginning. Or laws are much better than CA, but they are heading in that direction. 10 years from now I wouldn't be surprised at all if we are where ca is now.

It's a matter of opinion, but I consider ubc a MAJOR infringement for many reasons. It's a defacto registration system. It's an indirect tax that prices people out of the market. It does nothing to stop any crime, ever...and it makes criminals out of completely innocent people. It's a total load of crap... But the real danger here is that it was a landslide election. IMO the antis will win protective orders this year and the very next election they will go for an AWB initiative and it will likely pass. 594 may not be doom, but it's a harbinger of doom.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 7/10/2016 9:24:23 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
My point is that the 594 vote indicates that it's just the beginning. Or laws are much better than CA, but they are heading in that direction. 10 years from now I wouldn't be surprised at all if we are where ca is now.

It's a matter of opinion, but I consider ubc a MAJOR infringement for many reasons. It's a defacto registration system. It's an indirect tax that prices people out of the market. It does nothing to stop any crime, ever...and it makes criminals out of completely innocent people. It's a total load of crap... But the real danger here is that it was a landslide election. IMO the antis will win protective orders this year and the very next election they will go for an AWB initiative and it will likely pass. 594 may not be doom, but it's a harbinger of doom.

View Quote

You think they'll try to jump straight to an AWB by referendum? 594 passed 59-41 but from what I've heard that was with tons of Bloomberg money promoting it and virtually nothing in the way of an opposition campaign...AWB is a much tougher nut for the gun grabbers to crack both because it's more extreme and would attract a lot of out-of-state money on the pro-2A side.

As for 594, most of what you said is correct, but the silver lining is that it's completely unenforceable (as evidenced by zero arrests since it passed). I don't buy that it prices people out of the market--transfer fees are typically $20-30 on an item that in most cases you're paying at least $400 for. Again, not defending it or saying it's a good thing, just that there are more important areas of the fight. Ask yourself this--would you agree to national UBC if it meant national concealed carry reciprocity, NFA repeal, or overturn of all state AWBs or mag capacity limits? Speaking purely from a practical standpoint and not a 10A one I think the vast majority of gun owners--other than the "I don't own NFA/travel outside my state so I don't give a fuck" crowd--would.
Link Posted: 7/10/2016 9:25:00 PM EDT
[#23]
I understand your thought process, and don't disagree with it in principal. However the political tides are unmistakably heading in one direction: greater infringement.

594, 1491, and whatever hijinks they may try after the 9th Circuit decision may not seem like a big deal to you. However, consider that the mil pays for us to move here and there, and if we can end up in a place that aligns with our political beliefs great, if not park your contraband at mom's house out in flyover country until you're up for orders next time. No big deal.

Contrast that with a civilian who has to move on his own dime, find a new job, rebuild lifelong social networks from scratch, etc. Do you think they are going to go through all that for a 50% improvement? They will not, nor would I, or could I, in good faith advocate for them to do so. They will rightly hold out and go for the 80%+ improvements that are AZ, NV, TX, and the mountain northwest states.
Link Posted: 7/10/2016 10:02:43 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I understand your thought process, and don't disagree with it in principal. However the political tides are unmistakably heading in one direction: greater infringement.

594, 1491, and whatever hijinks they may try after the 9th Circuit decision may not seem like a big deal to you. However, consider that the mil pays for us to move here and there, and if we can end up in a place that aligns with our political beliefs great, if not park your contraband at mom's house out in flyover country until you're up for orders next time. No big deal.

Contrast that with a civilian who has to move on his own dime, find a new job, rebuild lifelong social networks from scratch, etc. Do you think they are going to go through all that for a 50% improvement? They will not, nor would I, or could I, in good faith advocate for them to do so. They will rightly hold out and go for the 80%+ improvements that are AZ, NV, TX, and the mountain northwest states.
View Quote

I'm .mil but ETSing next spring and hoping to stay in the area. Other options would likely be Texas, DC area (read: NoVA), or overseas.

I hear what you're saying about civilians....but they can and do move from state to state all the time. Plus, if you put out the idea that WA (and most of what I'm saying applies to OR as well) is full of crazy gun nuts, maybe it dissuades some of the libtard Californians from moving.
Link Posted: 7/18/2016 1:20:46 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Lived in WA less than a year so apologies if I'm out of my lane, but I am hoping to stay in the state when I get out of the military next year. To get to the point, I think conservative groups in Washington state should make an active effort to recruit gun-owning refugees from California to move to the state. I'm talking a focused media barrage playing up how the PNW shares many of California's positives (a cosmopolitan city in Seattle, world-class outdoor activities) without the awful politics, at least at the state level. I realize that trying to attract Californians to move to your state might be playing with fire but I figure a) the wrong types of Californians are already spreading like locusts over the entire country west of the Mississippi anyway and b) by specifically focusing on selling WA's gun laws as a positive you'd hopefully weed out most of the libtards (this could have an added benefit of causing libtards who were already planning to move north to rethink things).

Conservative Californians need a refuge and Washington could use some conservative reinforcements to balance out the other Californians. What do you guys think?
View Quote

I'm sure you got the responses you were expecting, we Ex-Californians and our big city ways just ain't welcome around these parts. Insert deliverance banjo music now.................................! And good thing you didn't ask this question 5-6 years ago on here, you would have been punked in the shower really good by some of the former hometown members.

The friends I have that have moved out of CA, I suggested they go elsewhere, Nevada, Arizona, Texas, Idaho and other states with people they'll relate to. WA is just layover until I get the chance to live in a real freedom state,

Link Posted: 7/22/2016 3:11:09 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

I'm sure you got the responses you were expecting, we Ex-Californians and our big city ways just ain't welcome around these parts. Insert deliverance banjo music now.................................! And good thing you didn't ask this question 5-6 years ago on here, you would have been punked in the shower really good by some of the former hometown members.

The friends I have that have moved out of CA, I suggested they go elsewhere, Nevada, Arizona, Texas, Idaho and other states with people they'll relate to. WA is just layover until I get the chance to live in a real freedom state,

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Hah...problem is I love the ocean (rules out all of those states except Texas), and I love the mountains and hate 110 degree weather (which rules out Texas).
Link Posted: 7/22/2016 4:34:56 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Kind of hard to do when a lot of us remember how good we had it when when even the Democrats in this state were blue dogs. I'm not even that old!

So, yea don't really care how good "we still have it" over Cali because "it" is being eroded by the very same people that shit on their own state, then brought it to this state.
Link Posted: 7/22/2016 12:02:31 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Hah...problem is I love the ocean (rules out all of those states except Texas), and I love the mountains and hate 110 degree weather (which rules out Texas).
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

GA, FL...maybe NC? The former two have great gun laws. No mountains in FL, but GA and NC have some good sized hills!

Link Posted: 7/22/2016 12:14:27 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

GA, FL...maybe NC? The former two have great gun laws. No mountains in FL, but GA and NC have some good sized hills!

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I lived in NC for 12 years and loved it.  You can buy a house on the water for what you would pay for a condo here.  There is humidity and it gets hotter there than it does here in WA but no place is perfect.  I would say the weather where I lived was very nice from about mid October to about the beginning of June.  If you are willing ot be a few hours away from the water and live in the western part of the state there are mountains and much cooler summer temps and some very rural areas to get lost in.  It's beautiful country
Link Posted: 7/23/2016 5:48:29 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

I lived in NC for 12 years and loved it.  You can buy a house on the water for what you would pay for a condo here.  There is humidity and it gets hotter there than it does here in WA but no place is perfect.  I would say the weather where I lived was very nice from about mid October to about the beginning of June.  If you are willing ot be a few hours away from the water and live in the western part of the state there are mountains and much cooler summer temps and some very rural areas to get lost in.  It's beautiful country
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Love NC, was at Bragg for 4 years and would go back (although not to Fayetteville--but do like Raleigh and to a lesser extent Charlotte, and have spent a ton of time in Wilmington and Asheville) in a heartbeat, but my wife and I are both likely to have better civilian job opportunities on the west coast and possibly DC or Houston areas.
Link Posted: 7/24/2016 11:51:57 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

North Idaho has huge lakes, plenty of mountains, good climate, and is solidly red.

Just bring your own woman and job
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top