Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/30/2016 11:32:59 PM EDT
When I Google it,I see guide companies and expensive gear listings.

I don't have any of that shit and I suspect you don't really need it.  Anyone have any experience on baker?

Any tips?
Link Posted: 7/1/2016 11:23:15 AM EDT
[#1]
In no particular order:

• Start with smaller mountains

• You'll need at least some of that stuff such as crampons, ice axe, rope, and probably some other stuff.

• Going solo is a good way to get your picture on the light poles at the parking lot

• Don't forget your ten essentials

• Try contacting the Mountaineers

• It probably isn't as easy at it looks, many people with experience end up becoming popsicles

Link Posted: 7/1/2016 11:34:19 AM EDT
[#2]
That "shit" you don't really need is what saves you if anything goes wrong. Kind of like your gun, you will rarely need it. But when you do need it you'll be glad you packed it.
Link Posted: 7/1/2016 2:39:34 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 7/1/2016 2:51:27 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
No gear, no experience, climbing a glaciated mountain; what could possibly go wrong?
View Quote

Lol.
Link Posted: 7/1/2016 2:52:37 PM EDT
[#5]
I watched a YouTube video on self arrest,  so almost an expert.
Link Posted: 7/1/2016 4:46:58 PM EDT
[#6]
Well then,
sounds like your good to go!
Link Posted: 7/1/2016 9:30:43 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I watched a YouTube video on self arrest,  so almost an expert.
View Quote

An experienced mountaineering SAR Ranger died on Rainier (unable to self arrest & fell to his death) rescuing a party who had no business climbing Rainier.

There is more to the story and sadly he made a mistake in the conditions he was dealing with

Baker is not near as big but it is a serious mountain, weather has been funky here, Summer has not arrived in Western WA, I am guessing lots of places on Baker you do not want to be.
Link Posted: 7/1/2016 10:00:23 PM EDT
[#8]
Man......
This place is falling apart. Have we completely forgotten the rules?

Dibs on whatever
Link Posted: 7/2/2016 4:19:17 PM EDT
[#9]
I just climbed Baker about a month ago.

If you think you don't need that shit you are mistaken.  You could probably cut some of the weight off of their suggested list but there are some essentials that you would be foolish to go without.  Your bare minimum would be an ice axe, crampons, harness and some boots as well as clothing.  

The weather up there is strange, it can be a cloudy day with no sun directly hitting you but you can still feel the solar radiation very strongly.  It can also get very windy and very cold.

Every route up the mountain is on a glacier.  You need to have crevasse rescue training or be in the middle of a rope team with others who do know it.  Your best bet would be to try and find some people who know what they are doing and would let you tag along.  

Some people choose not to rope up, quite often they are on skis which makes it much less likely to fall into a hidden crevasse.  They also probably know what they are doing and have chosen to take that risk.

It's a great climb and I would suggest doing it.  Just don't think it's a simple hike that needs no technical gear, you are putting yourself and those who have to come rescue you at risk.
Link Posted: 7/2/2016 7:58:52 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I just climbed Baker about a month ago.

If you think you don't need that shit you are mistaken.  You could probably cut some of the weight off of their suggested list but there are some essentials that you would be foolish to go without.  Your bare minimum would be an ice axe, crampons, harness and some boots as well as clothing.  

The weather up there is strange, it can be a cloudy day with no sun directly hitting you but you can still feel the solar radiation very strongly.  It can also get very windy and very cold.

Every route up the mountain is on a glacier.  You need to have crevasse rescue training or be in the middle of a rope team with others who do know it.  Your best bet would be to try and find some people who know what they are doing and would let you tag along.  

Some people choose not to rope up, quite often they are on skis which makes it much less likely to fall into a hidden crevasse.  They also probably know what they are doing and have chosen to take that risk.

It's a great climb and I would suggest doing it.  Just don't think it's a simple hike that needs no technical gear, you are putting yourself and those who have to come rescue you at risk.
View Quote

Word

Link Posted: 7/3/2016 7:50:52 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Lol.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
No gear, no experience, climbing a glaciated mountain; what could possibly go wrong?

Lol.

I double dog dare you..
Link Posted: 7/3/2016 8:13:49 PM EDT
[#12]
patchouli: what happened to your avatar?  The old one was really unique.
Link Posted: 7/3/2016 9:17:07 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote

Butthurt
Link Posted: 7/5/2016 12:32:30 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Butthurt
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Butthurt

A lot of that going around.
Link Posted: 7/5/2016 12:44:42 AM EDT
[#15]
Been reading a bunch and watching YouTube vids on climbing and glacier travel.

Makes me want to spend the 900 bucks on a guided and educational trip.

Should I get mountaineering boots or just use my good  gore text hunting boots.  They are clunky and heavy, insulated 200gram, but they are pretty good boots. I could get strap on crampons for them.

Link Posted: 7/5/2016 12:49:45 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Been reading a bunch and watching YouTube vids on climbing and glacier travel.

Makes me want to spend the 900 bucks on a guided and educational trip.

Should I get mountaineering boots or just use my good  gore text hunting boots.  They are clunky and heavy, insulated 200gram, but they are pretty good boots. I could get strap on crampons for them.

View Quote

Shoot me a PM if you're serious, its on my list this year.
Link Posted: 7/5/2016 12:53:08 AM EDT
[#17]
Hiring a guide is a good idea if you don't know anybody who can take you.  If you do go that route I would suggest just renting a pair of boots from them.  

I can suggest a good company or two for you if you'd like or answer any other questions if you wanna PM me.
Link Posted: 7/5/2016 3:06:34 PM EDT
[#18]
I did Baker 2 weeks ago with perfect weather. Not a technical mountain but you need to be roped up because of the crevasse danger. They are just starting to really appear for the season. There is a minimum amount of specialty gear you are gong to need for the rope crew, crevasse rescue and snow/ice travel.

The guided trips are a safe and easy option but if you can team up with a couple friends that know what they are doing that would work just as well. Despite it's relative ease, Baker is a big mountain and can create it's own weather. Rapid storms can and do trap people on the slopes.

You can get by with your current boots and strap on crampons probably. The most popular routes on Baker do not require you to kick in steps or do any steep traverses for which mountaineering boots are better.

Have a shovel, it makes setting up camp so much quicker and easier than with just ice axes.
Link Posted: 7/5/2016 3:55:47 PM EDT
[#19]
Current boots

Link Posted: 7/5/2016 4:17:07 PM EDT
[#20]
Our minivan made it to the top, you're a puss if you can't.
Link Posted: 7/5/2016 10:35:23 PM EDT
[#21]
Crampons cool your feet down a little extra but if those are warm enough for you to walk in snow for a couple days at 20-30 degrees then you should be ok. Sure its nice to have the latest and greatest gear but when these mountains were first climbed they used leather boots with nails driven into the bottoms for traction.

For me the approach up heliotrope ridge was tougher on my feet, causing a few hot spots. I felt much better on the snow with more level foot placement.

The potential problem with your boots is if the sole is too flexible the crampons will not secure very well or you may buildup up snow between the boot and crampon.
Link Posted: 7/6/2016 2:44:15 AM EDT
[#22]
I just ordered
A) ice axe
B) harness (BD couloir)
C) hillsounder trail pro crampons (strap ons)
D)helmet (half dome BD)

Link Posted: 7/6/2016 2:45:08 AM EDT
[#23]
Need to get some rope and carabiners and slings. Maybe a snow picket?

Gotta read and watch more.
Link Posted: 7/6/2016 5:04:17 AM EDT
[#24]
Some of your gear should be tried on or held in the store to make sure it fits. When I bought my first ice axe I had no idea that they have sizes (usually 50, 55, 60, 65, 70 and 75cm) mine was too short and made it harder to use. It is usually good to try a crampon on to make sure it fits your specific boot. I have never seen that specific crampon before but it looks like it will work well with your more flexible boots.

That harness will work fine, you have to step into it so make sure it goes on before your crampons. The helmet will be fine as well and keeps your head warmer than you would think.

If you do a guided trip or have come friends take you I would guess they will have a rope so you can probably avoid that expense for now. You will probably want 3 or 4 locking biners, 1 non locking biner, 20+ feet of 6 or 7mm cord to make prussiks, 2 60cm slings (1 for a chest harness and the other to girth hitch to the picket) and a snow picket. That will set you up with a basic glacier travel rig. To be able to set up for a Z pull you'll want to add a pulley onto your harness.

This is one of the better videos I have found on setting a rescue pull: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=esKHg-xu-G8

Explanation of tying into a rope team: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1xdlXt94Lz0

I was not a boy scout and was never good with knots. When I started on more technical trips I spent a bunch of time on: Grog's knots practicing with 550 cord to tie the basic climbing knots.

Link Posted: 7/6/2016 7:45:50 AM EDT
[#25]
Yeah, I went to rei, and they didn't have any ice axes.  So, I got a measuring tape and a piece of wood furring strip and simulated the common lengths. 70cm seemed good so that's what I ordered.  Seemed in line with what the online guides called for for me.

Watched YouTube vids of the different crampon Systems first.   The harness is compatible with crampons  and has quick release leg loops for easy on off.

Will check out the knots vid.  Thanks!
Link Posted: 7/10/2016 12:51:55 AM EDT
[#26]
Got this stuff in mail.

Link Posted: 7/11/2016 5:16:13 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
In no particular order:

• Start with smaller mountains

• You'll need at least some of that stuff such as crampons, ice axe, rope, and probably some other stuff.

• Going solo is a good way to get your picture on the light poles at the parking lot

• Don't forget your ten essentials

• Try contacting the Mountaineers

• It probably isn't as easy at it looks, many people with experience end up becoming popsicles

View Quote

What smaller mountains would you recommend?
Link Posted: 7/11/2016 1:31:44 PM EDT
[#28]
You need to go with a partner.
Link Posted: 7/11/2016 1:40:27 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
View Quote

I'm now trying to get a few friends up with me and one of them said he efinitely wants to, and is summitting Mt rainier right now, so at least has some experience.

I am continuing to learn/read/watcheck about mountaineering. And working out.
Link Posted: 7/24/2016 2:10:46 PM EDT
[#30]
Mountaineering is not a joke and should not be taken lightly. Being well prepared will make your experience far better, and reduce the likelihood of others needing to risk their lives to come rescue you.

You need at a minimum-
A brain.
A good partner who also has a brain.
Rope
Crampons
Good insulating boots. If you like your toes, get good boots. Your boots may be fine for walking in snow, how about a bivouac? How about being stationary in a storm on the side of the mountain for 4+ hours? What are your toes worth to you
Helmet
Harness
Decent metal shovel for tent platforms and emergency shelter
Axe appropriate length- a 5'10" cat uses about a 70cm axe
2-3 prusiks- I bring two 18 foot Purcell prusiks and two 6 foot loops to make additional prusiks
About 5 biners, at least two locking
1-2 snow pickets
1x pulley. If you can get a self tending one, great. If you aren't sure what that means, you're not ready yet.
Wands to mark your trail.

Learn how to prusik, how to set up a 3-1 or z-drag rescue system, and glacier travel. Mountaineering: freedom of the hills is basically the climbers bible.

If you have any questions PM me. I have done most of the big peaks in Washington- rainier, baker, Adams, hood, Olympus, and was on the army climbing team on Denali this year, so I think it's safe to say I know what I'm talking about.
Link Posted: 7/24/2016 2:12:36 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

I'm now trying to get a few friends up with me and one of them said he efinitely wants to, and is summitting Mt rainier right now, so at least has some experience.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Stair master, squats, step-ups, deadlifts, pull-ups, and weighted abs.
Link Posted: 7/26/2016 10:26:30 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

What smaller mountains would you recommend?
View Quote

I don't know your location but if you're on the West side, Seattle or North you have a lot of options.

Mt. Si outside of North Bend is probably the most popular training trail in the state but gets ridiculously crowded. Further North in the Mountain Loop area, Mt. Dickerman is a good hike. Outside of Darrington, Green Mountain is similar in scale. Baker on the standard route is not steep but it is continuous elevation gain so these 3 day hikes or any others that keep you on a steady climb will be good. The really serious folks go up and down multiple times in a row to get the cumulative elevation gain and time spent on trail.

Speaking of which I need to get my butt in gear and spend some time under a pack. Just did White Chuck Mountain this weekend which was a short and sweet climb but I have Glacier Peak coming up in a month and that's going to be a long and hot approach.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top