Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/30/2016 11:22:38 PM EDT
Back in 2012 my daughter was 18 and decided she wanted to move to Washington to be with her fiancé. They have been together sine they were in the 7th grade, so not a big shocker that as soon as she graduated HS she would want to be with him. They were both Army brats in Germany, and his family went to FT Lewis and We came to FT Campbell.

Her mom gave her our SUV, and I asked her which one of my handguns she wanted. She wanted the Kimber Team Match 2 that I got from my father since she always shot it very well. I told her she would get it eventually, but not just starting out since I didn't want her to be tempted to sell it if she needed money. So I bought her a new 1911. I got her the Springfield Range Officer since the PX was running a special on them for $740. So she packed up her stuff and her pistol in the SUV and drove to Washington with her fiancé that flew in. She's been shooting since before she could read. She grew up shooting my SIG P210 and Hammerli 208 pistols mainly. I used to tell her that she had no idea how spoiled she was when it came to shooting guns.

Anyway, she just texted me today that she got her carry permit in Washington, but she is under the impression that she has to register the gun in her name since I bought it originally. I told her that I gifted it to her back in 2012, and that Tennessee has no handgun registration, so "it's not in my name" as she put it. She said the new gun laws in Washington are all screwy, and that she has to get it registered in her name. I told her the gun was hers before she moved to Washington. Before the crazy laws were passed there.

So help me out here. Does WA have gun registration now? Is there anything she has to do to make sure she doesn't run afoul of the law there?
Link Posted: 6/30/2016 11:38:41 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 6/30/2016 11:59:18 PM EDT
[#2]
There is no "gun registration" in Washington.

If you buy a handgun the purchase is run through the regular federal NICS and it is also run through various state agencies by the local law enforcement agency.

There used to be a voluntary "Pistol/Revolver Private Disposition/Transfer Form #652 004" that a private citizen could use to document the transfer of a privately owned handgun.
It's no longer in use since the "universal background check" law went into effect.

There are many many many assfucked shitstained retarded shiteating nutlicking asswipe know-it-all's who will spout this bullshit.

For further reference please use the the following format when asking a question:

WHO
WHAT
WHERE
WHY
WHEN
HOW

Who: Your daughter (was told by who that she needed to register her firearm)
What: Told she needs to register her handgun
Were: Where was she when she was told that
Why: Why was she told that
When: When
How: How did her firearm become a topic of conversation

It appears you gave the firearm to her before she became a Washington State resident - She's golden.

http://app.leg.wa.gov/rcw/default.aspx?cite=9.41.113
Link Posted: 7/1/2016 9:36:01 AM EDT
[#3]
Thanks guys. Pretty much like I figured. I passed the info along to her. I think she is just a little confused by the law and probably heard plenty of rumors from uninformed people on what they think the law is.

Hell I work part time at a Gun Shop in Kentucky (My daughter worked there too before she moved) and I still get people asking me about registering their gun. When I tell them KY nor TN have gun registration (we are right on the state line outside FT Campbell) I get all kinds of shocked disbelief from people not originally from the area.
Link Posted: 7/1/2016 5:33:38 PM EDT
[#4]
I'm gonna throw in one thing. While Washington (state of) has no gun registration... Ft. Lewis, or JBLM, does. If you bring firearms into the gated areas of JBLM, they need to be registered with the Provost Marshall. To further complicate this, you don't need to register if bringing firearms into the non-gated areas of JBLM. There is a pistol/rifle range on Ft. Lewis that military and civilians can use. If you drive through the non-gated areas to get to that range, no post registration needed. If you do drive through the gated areas to get to that same range, then post registration required. I'm not aware of anyone who has run into trouble over this. Just sayin'...
Hot Damn... Air Assault...
Link Posted: 7/9/2016 2:41:19 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
So help me out here. Does WA have gun registration now? Is there anything she has to do to make sure she doesn't run afoul of the law there?
View Quote

No registration.
Just don't do any face-to-face parking-lot deals (all sales must go through an FFL)... Since possession transferred before your daughter moved, no legal issues.

We haven't gone full California retard yet - at least on guns... Although sometimes it seems like it's just a matter of time...

JBLM has the typical military-base type gun registration for the gated part of base, of course...

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top