Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/7/2016 6:12:33 PM EDT
As I might need to go to Seattle a few times a year can I get a non resident license?
I looked it up on their website. It looks like I just go to a police station, fill out the form, & pay the fee's, & they mail it in 60 days...is that it? They take fingerprints there?
Do I need other ID then my Fl DL & CWP?

Link Posted: 6/7/2016 6:35:40 PM EDT
[#1]
Here's what the State has to say on it.

http://www.dol.wa.gov/business/firearms/faconcealreq.html

Not much help, is it?

I'd bring your DL and CWP from your home state.

You will want to try to contact whatever PD you are planning on using to find out when they do fingerprints. Most only do them a couple hours a week. My local cop shop only does them Tuesday-Thursday after 2:00 PM.

And don't be surprised if they take longer than 60 days to issue. This county has been running around 60 days for renewals for at least 2 years, despite the law saying they *must issue* within 30 for renewals.
Link Posted: 6/8/2016 10:05:15 AM EDT
[#2]
If you have transportation available when you are here it would probably work out better to travel and not do it in Seattle.  I know the turn around for mine was 4 days.  That means it was in my mailbox 4 days after I did the fingerprints.  My local sheriff also does fingerprints whenever they are open, no special hours.  Look up Kitsap county. If you are in Seattle you can take a nice ferry ride over here.  Just a thought.
Link Posted: 6/9/2016 3:32:17 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Here's what the State has to say on it.

http://www.dol.wa.gov/business/firearms/faconcealreq.html

Not much help, is it?

I'd bring your DL and CWP from your home state.

You will want to try to contact whatever PD you are planning on using to find out when they do fingerprints. Most only do them a couple hours a week. My local cop shop only does them Tuesday-Thursday after 2:00 PM.

And don't be surprised if they take longer than 60 days to issue. This county has been running around 60 days for renewals for at least 2 years, despite the law saying they *must issue* within 30 for renewals.
View Quote

Ouch the turn around on my walla walla renewal was about 30 seconds.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 6/9/2016 10:13:26 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 6/9/2016 11:54:49 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Ouch is right.

Downtown Seattle, King County Courthouse on a renewal you barely have time to get your phone out and open anything before you're done.  They run the "gun desk" pretty well.

View Quote
Not looking forward to having to renew here in Pierce County after the very quick and cordial experiences I've had at the King County Courthouse. Probably never more than a few minutes.

King County Sheriff Department has always been relatively good to go along with the Court staff in Kent and Downtown Seattle.
Link Posted: 7/5/2016 12:56:00 PM EDT
[#6]
So I called the Seattle police headquarters as that will be the nearest to me when I'm there... got all the details & times, etc.  However they claim I can not obtain a license? They said I have to be a resident of WA & be able to prove I have an address there even if I do not spend more then 90 days in WA.
They gave me a link that says'''
You need to be a Seattle resident to apply for a permit through the Seattle Police Department:

30 day waiting period - If you are a WA state resident, living here for a minimum of 90 days.  Proof of current address is required.
   60 day waiting period - If you are an out of state resident (or if living here less than 90 days.  Proof of current address and/or military orders are required.
View Quote

Photo ID -  Driver's license, State issued ID card, Passport or Military ID are valid.  School ID cards or expired cards are not valid.  If you are applying for a Concealed Pistol Permit, your ID needs to have a Seattle address.
View Quote

Is this right?
Link Posted: 7/5/2016 1:06:39 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 7/5/2016 1:14:48 PM EDT
[#8]
Guess? They may not be wrong, it may be their policy to only do Seattle residents?
Link Posted: 7/5/2016 10:48:17 PM EDT
[#9]
Worst case scenario, just go get a Utah CPL.

The FL CPL covers 2 states that Utah doesn't while the Utah CPL covers 3 states that FL doesn't, one of which happens to be WA. Also, Utah actually issues you a card with your picture on it, while WA gives you a paper card that you need to get laminated.
Link Posted: 7/6/2016 1:52:38 PM EDT
[#10]
Use the KCSO in the courthouse instead
View Quote

Ok I will take a walk there tomorrow afternoon.

Thanks
Link Posted: 7/7/2016 5:32:01 PM EDT
[#11]
Ok I did it. Was really easy. No problems & was out in 20minutes.
Thanks again
Link Posted: 9/8/2016 6:35:08 PM EDT
[#12]
So 61 days & they haven't cashed my check even...Should I be calling someone?
Link Posted: 9/8/2016 6:39:32 PM EDT
[#13]
I would say yes, but I'm not exactly sure who...
Link Posted: 9/8/2016 7:36:52 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 9/10/2016 11:26:34 AM EDT
[#15]
Awesome ya got it....finally..

61 days....weird.... ya think it would happen in less then 7 days.
Link Posted: 9/10/2016 12:42:47 PM EDT
[#16]
I went to the King County Admin Building in downtown and got my new license in the mail in about weeks.  That was only a few months ago.  The process was quick and easy, although they mentioned that some times and days are a lot busier than others.
I literally walk past the SPD headquarters lobby almost every day so I planned on just doing it there, but even they told me I'd be better off walking another block over and getting it at King County.
Link Posted: 9/10/2016 4:50:37 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I went to the King County Admin Building in downtown and got my new license in the mail in about weeks.  That was only a few months ago.  The process was quick and easy, although they mentioned that some times and days are a lot busier than others.
I literally walk past the SPD headquarters lobby almost every day so I planned on just doing it there, but even they told me I'd be better off walking another block over and getting it at King County.
View Quote

So, you recommend the King County Sheriff vs any of the local Police Departments?  I have a friend that lives in the Seattle area that was wondering about that.  I told him it is "customary" to use city Police if in city limits..... vs County Sheriff.

Link Posted: 9/10/2016 5:24:08 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
So, you recommend the King County Sheriff vs any of the local Police Departments?  I have a friend that lives in the Seattle area that was wondering about that.  I told him it is "customary" to use city Police if in city limits..... vs County Sheriff.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Fuck that noise. I always went down to the Courthouse downtown. Much more efficient and generally faster than the local police departments. Federal Way was a shitshow for sure when it came to CPL's. Don't know if it's changed for the better but I can't imagine it has.

First time that I'll have to renew outside of King County. We'll see if small town living is all it's cracked up to be.
Link Posted: 9/11/2016 4:42:00 PM EDT
[#19]
It did come in the mail Saturday.  So I'm good now if I ever have to go there again for my job in the next 5 years.  I guess they will cash my check this week.  

Thanks
Link Posted: 9/12/2016 4:35:47 AM EDT
[#20]
Glad to hear it came...
Link Posted: 9/22/2016 2:15:48 PM EDT
[#21]
I applied for mine at the Issaquah police station, could not believe how easy it was or how friendly they were.

Just waiting for mine to come in the mail.
Link Posted: 9/28/2016 10:18:01 AM EDT
[#22]
Last year stopped by in WA to visit some people.  Went to the Thurston County Courthouse and re-applied for an out of state CPL.  It was just over 30 days before I received it in the mail here in AL.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top