Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 6/4/2016 7:54:51 PM EDT
I have to go on a 5 day trip for work to downtown Seattle.  I will only be downtown within a 6 block radius...But I will be walking back & forth to the hotel at 10-11pm. I don't drink so no nightlife for me.
I was thinking about bringing my G22...but I'm not checking a bag & I would have to buy the approved case.
Still on the fence about it....

Thanks

Link Posted: 6/4/2016 8:29:39 PM EDT
[#1]
You could easily beat the shit out of any male in Seattle except for fellow arfcommers.
Link Posted: 6/4/2016 8:35:59 PM EDT
[#2]
Concealed carry.
Link Posted: 6/4/2016 8:50:11 PM EDT
[#3]
Compared to other big cities it is safer but some parts are sketchy.  Avoid areas that look seedy - use common sense and you most likely won't have a problem.

Waaaay safer than Oakland, Memphis, Chicago, Kansas City, St. Louis.
Link Posted: 6/4/2016 9:36:58 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
You could easily beat the shit out of any male in Seattle except for fellow arfcommers.
View Quote

True that!  ha ha.  10-11pm is not to late.  Should be ok.  Just yell real loud that you are in your safe space and the libtard cowardly transgender will run away.
Link Posted: 6/4/2016 10:58:05 PM EDT
[#5]
This is the story a firend told me.  He and his wife were leaving a theater around 11pm (no longer remember which) and walking to their car a few blocks away.  Two tall young men of African descent on the other side of the street saw them and suddenly crossed the street.  Now they were on the same side of the street coming toward the friend and wife, so friend presses his wife against the building and reaches under his jacket strongside.  One of the two youths saw this and said, "We're cool man, we're cool" and they both crossed back to the other side of the street.

Friend was bluffing, he didn't have anything under his jacket.  The next day he went down and put in his CPL paperwork.  He figured he got one bluff in his life and that used it up.  He had absolutely zero doubt their intentions were to rob them.

I do not go to Seattle unarmed, and I'm only ever there in the daytime.
Link Posted: 6/4/2016 11:52:34 PM EDT
[#6]
Right downtown, you should be pretty safe, just be aware of your surroundings, and pay attention like you should be doing every where you go.
Link Posted: 6/5/2016 12:38:03 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 6/5/2016 12:59:17 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote

Unless your name is Tom Leykis.
Link Posted: 6/5/2016 7:59:52 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 6/5/2016 9:09:57 AM EDT
[#10]
Interesting... I must have looked at an old list...Guess I can't carry then....
That answers that...
Link Posted: 6/5/2016 10:53:26 AM EDT
[#11]
10 - 11 PM during the Summer, lots of (tourist type and local) people will be on the street.
Link Posted: 6/5/2016 11:18:31 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Interesting... I must have looked at an old list...Guess I can't carry then....
That answers that...
View Quote
You may carry.  You may not carry concealed.

Washington was forced (by the law) to drop FL when FL allowed under 21s to get permitted.  Even though it only permits military members under 21 and makes perfect sense, the WA law didn't account for that and thus reciprocity was cancelled.  I hope the lawmakers here get their heads out and add the exception because I visit FL from time to time and would like to carry.
Link Posted: 6/5/2016 3:26:36 PM EDT
[#13]
Generalization- Stay off third, and out of most of belltown, and its failry well light and busy.

You could catch a cab if you dont like how it looks to you.
Link Posted: 6/6/2016 11:24:43 AM EDT
[#14]
Its really not that bad...I wouldn't want to be in Pioneer square as it's bum central. Belltown can get ghetto at night on the weekends.
Link Posted: 6/6/2016 1:52:27 PM EDT
[#15]
Where is belltown?

EDIT....I see on the map...I'm not near there
Link Posted: 6/6/2016 6:13:48 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Right downtown, you should be pretty safe, just be aware of your surroundings, and pay attention like you should be doing every where you go.
View Quote

This is the correct answer.  I've worked downtown for 16 years and spent many late nights/early mornings all days of the week walking around the streets. It's not like South Chicago, Oakland, or Kansas City.  You will be fine, watch your surroundings and trust your gut if an error looks sketchy.
Link Posted: 6/6/2016 7:27:52 PM EDT
[#17]
There are a shit ton of bums begging for money but it's all safe, especially during the day time.

If you're out and about in Cap Hill or Pioneer Square on a Friday/Saturday at 1AM you have to watch out for the drunks but it's still a pretty safe city IMHO
Link Posted: 6/9/2016 9:23:27 AM EDT
[#18]
Stay away from Pioneer Square.  Belltown used to be a lot of fun.....not so much anymore.

If you are staying in one of the nicer hotels in downtown, nothing to worry about.  Just use common sense and you will be fine.  
Link Posted: 6/9/2016 5:02:25 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View Quote

Honestly this is pretty accurate. If you look even remotely physically fit, and are not afraid to make eye contact with shady people, you will be left alone.

Seattle is a famously passive-aggressive shithole, and even the homeless and beggars don't like being confronted.
Link Posted: 6/9/2016 9:24:48 PM EDT
[#20]

Link Posted: 6/16/2016 8:34:36 AM EDT
[#21]
I never go into the city unarmed.
Link Posted: 6/16/2016 10:55:21 AM EDT
[#22]
Friend of mine and his girlfriend got mugged in Capitol Hill.

I carry when I go to the city.
Link Posted: 6/16/2016 11:39:13 AM EDT
[#23]
There are vagrants everywhere, and many are on drugs or nuts.
Link Posted: 6/16/2016 11:54:54 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
This is the story a firend told me.  He and his wife were leaving a theater around 11pm (no longer remember which) and walking to their car a few blocks away.  Two tall young men of African descent on the other side of the street saw them and suddenly crossed the street.  Now they were on the same side of the street coming toward the friend and wife, so friend presses his wife against the building and reaches under his jacket strongside.  One of the two youths saw this and said, "We're cool man, we're cool" and they both crossed back to the other side of the street.

Friend was bluffing, he didn't have anything under his jacket.  The next day he went down and put in his CPL paperwork.  He figured he got one bluff in his life and that used it up.  He had absolutely zero doubt their intentions were to rob them.

View Quote

Similar thing happened to a buddy of mine after using an ATM on Capitol Hill. Two individuals of the same description walked diagonally through an intersection making a bee line to my buddy and asked him if he knew what time it was. Buddy who was legally carrying at the time showed them the butt of his Chef's Special and answered "I don't know, is it time to die ?"   The two immediately faded from the scene.
Link Posted: 6/16/2016 6:34:26 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

View Quote
I never go to King County unarmed. I'm ignoring Preston and points east that unfortunately have the rotten luck of being in King County.
Link Posted: 6/16/2016 6:43:04 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I never go to King County unarmed. I'm ignoring Preston and points east that unfortunately have the rotten luck of being in King County.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Agree.

I consider the entire I-5/I-405 corridors "The City"
Link Posted: 6/22/2016 1:34:20 PM EDT
[#27]
Seattle is safe if you are within the designated collage "safe zones" or within the confines of "gun free" establishment.
Link Posted: 6/24/2016 4:38:25 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 6/24/2016 5:49:34 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

View Quote
I go all the time and was down there getting shitty in belltown 2-3 nights a week.

Don't really have any issues. You almost have to go out of your way to get in a jam down there.

ETA- well, to be fair, I'm normally down there with my buddy Parker who you might have met, he's a tad bigger than I am...

So that could also have a bit to do with not running into much trouble.
Link Posted: 6/24/2016 6:26:14 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 6/24/2016 9:46:56 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

106% freakshow right now obama is in town today and it's some pride weekend shit. Run away
View Quote
I was close to pulling a "Falling Out" moment this afternoon on I-5 South. Thought about pulling the car over and just walking home all while exacting my own unique justice.

I realized that a 5 mile walk sucks and since I was about 40 miles from home as the crow flies, I went back to just imagining what it's like to travel by motorcade. There must be a banana republic somewhere that needs a fair but cruel leader
Link Posted: 6/25/2016 11:35:51 AM EDT
[#32]
Sooooo, was fuzzy03cls, mugged and left in a dumpster?  Never heard back on his visit.
Link Posted: 6/30/2016 2:09:28 AM EDT
[#33]
The PD I work with (I am not a LEO) specifically instructed me to carry anytime I go to downtown Seattle.  They said that Seattle PD does NOT have the resources to patrol, and instead are on response protocol (to calls) or event security.
Link Posted: 6/30/2016 2:10:11 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Similar thing happened to a buddy of mine after using an ATM on Capitol Hill. Two individuals of the same description walked diagonally through an intersection making a bee line to my buddy and asked him if he knew what time it was. Buddy who was legally carrying at the time showed them the butt of his Chef's Special and answered "I don't know, is it time to die ?"   The two immediately faded from the scene.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I had a similar thing happen to me, the then girlfriend and me happened to come across and taxi and hopped in.
Link Posted: 7/1/2016 10:19:44 AM EDT
[#35]
You need a gun in Seattle!
Link Posted: 7/1/2016 1:06:12 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
I go all the time and was down there getting shitty in belltown 2-3 nights a week.    

Don't really have any issues. You almost have to go out of your way to get in a jam down there.

ETA- well, to be fair, I'm normally down there with my buddy Parker who you might have met, he's a tad bigger than I am...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Downtown covers a reasonably sized area and there is all kinds of stratification there, go a couple of blocks in any direction and the makeup changes.

Downtown is never condition white don't pay attention to anything territory but it's not a default condition red have a team with you.  

SPD Crime maps are useful.
http://www.seattle.gov/seattle-police-department/crime-data/online-crime-maps

These are the correct answers. I moved to Seattle 2 years ago from the east coast. On the whole it's safer than just about any nominally sized city on the east coast and cleaner. I have never really felt threatened and I am an overweight 5'6 dude so I'm not some giant that is scary or anything; but I have had some Seattle natives I met say "Nah dude you're kind of scary." Most of the people here are wusses and easily intimidated.

That said there is no specific neighborhood that is or isn't safe. One section of one street is safe and then 3 blocks the other direction and it's sketchy as fuck. The McDonalds on 3rd is the center of sketch for downtown but 2 blocks north on 5th you're at Westlake center which is mostly fine. Pike and 10th is so crowded almost nothing happens there but 1 block east is Pike and Broadway and like 3 shootings have happend there outside that QFC in the last year and a half.

Like always most of them are drug, drunk, or gang related. By virture of not being a drinker you reduced your chances of being approached by sketch fuckers immeasureably. I can't carry in a bar so I won't carry if I'm going for a drink and even then I've never had anything sketch happen.
Link Posted: 7/1/2016 2:22:20 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm not big, I've spent countless nights and early mornings in Belltown, Capital Hill, Pioneer square walking around drunk/unarmed with a cute asian girl around.

Crackheads and homeless people are everywhere but generally just ask you for change and move on,
Link Posted: 7/2/2016 6:41:03 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Sooooo, was fuzzy03cls, mugged and left in a dumpster?  Never heard back on his visit.
View Quote

I haven't gone yet...later this week....

Link Posted: 7/7/2016 5:35:38 PM EDT
[#39]
1st day.  Yes people seem nice. & yeah the homeless are all over the place.  Crazy ones too shouting down the street. Also not used to hills. FL is flat. Getting a good workout.  Heading to Deja Vu tonight.
Link Posted: 7/7/2016 6:49:35 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

1st day.  Yes people seem nice. & yeah the homeless are all over the place.  Crazy ones too shouting down the street. Also not used to hills. FL is flat. Getting a good workout.  Heading to Deja Vu tonight.
View Quote
S As an alternative to the old Vu, there's a place down near the stadiums that has much more fetching ladies working, and free parking in thier own garage. Can't remember the name of the place but went there for a few bachelor parties and it was fun.  Think it was dreamgirls in "sodo" (because "warehouse district" isn't fancy enough)

Also, yea hills!  When I was in Fl I sold a spare truck to a kid looking for a first vehicle, told the dad who wanted to test drive it to feel free to hot rod it around the lot. Thing is, I had left the parking brake on by habit, and he hadn't used on in decades.  He gets back, "Yea this thing's pretty quick"

"It's faster with the brake off"

We got a chuckle.  

Link Posted: 7/7/2016 7:24:14 PM EDT
[#41]
Coming from Florida you probably need a light jacket.  Summer in WA.
Link Posted: 7/7/2016 7:40:23 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

Coming from Florida you probably need a light jacket.  Summer in WA.
View Quote
LOL yea this heat wave is killer.

Link Posted: 7/8/2016 12:28:06 AM EDT
[#43]
When do you leave and do you have something to do the other nights your here? I can give suggestions if you'd like. Our you can check the stranger.
Link Posted: 7/8/2016 12:33:18 AM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

When do you leave and do you have something to do the other nights your here? I can give suggestions if you'd like. Our you can check the stranger.
View Quote
The ? seeking ? is always the best part.

Link Posted: 7/8/2016 8:53:24 PM EDT
[#45]
1st day. Yes people seem nice. & yeah the homeless are all over the place. Crazy ones too shouting down the street. Also not used to hills. FL is flat. Getting a good workout. Heading to Deja Vu tonight.
View Quote

So did you notice the BLM protest?

http://mynorthwest.com/336596/black-lives-matter-to-hold-seattle-vigil-for-recent-police-involved-shootings/

Seattle Black Lives Matter protest takes over downtown streets

Seattle joined a chorus of protests around the nation as a vigil for two black men killed by police grew into a march with at least 1,000 people moving through downtown Thursday night.

While the crowd was described as “angry” by observers, Seattle’s march was peaceful and resulted in no violence or destruction. There was concern that the protest could move onto I-5, but Seattle police and Washington State Patrol blocked access to the freeway.

“I’m not going to be presumptuous and say SPD wasn’t ready for this, but I don’t think they expected this kind of crowd,” Horcher said. “I think if they did, there would have been a lot more police officers flanking the businesses on the streets, and to be here in case something happened. I think there is some tension in the air, because of what happened in Dallas.”

Horcher said that he did hear some calls for the crowd to march onto I-5. The crowd did linger around I-5 access points around Cherry and James Streets, but never made it onto the freeway.

Seattle police did use pepper spray on a handful of marchers, once as a few attempted to run onto an I-5 on ramp.
View Quote

Link Posted: 7/9/2016 8:30:33 PM EDT
[#46]
Yeah I did...Was eating at some bar place on 5th, we were about to leave & then the horde came.......shouting, chanting, whatever.....
I wasn't in a hurry cause my damn feet/ankles are killing me.
Link Posted: 7/21/2016 5:29:12 PM EDT
[#47]
Did you make it out of the city alive?
Link Posted: 7/22/2016 10:07:13 AM EDT
[#48]
Yeah I did....Not a city I want to visit or live in.  Not for me.
Link Posted: 7/22/2016 10:33:06 AM EDT
[#49]
Glad you were safe,

I don't like Seattle either.

Come visit some time, places you might have missed on your trip
Link Posted: 7/22/2016 10:57:11 AM EDT
[#50]
Washington State should not be defined by Seattle, there are far better places in Washington to see and do.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top