Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/27/2016 5:31:09 PM EDT
I just saw this posted on NRA website:

https://www.nraila.org/articles/20160527/protect-target-shooting-opportunities-in-washington-state-forests

The Washington Department of Natural Resources (DNR) will be holding public meetings next week to discuss target shooting in state forests.  It is imperative that shooters attend these meetings and weigh in.  If non-shooters and anti-gun advocates are the loudest voices next week, these meetings will become the first step in prohibiting shooting on state lands.

We urge you to attend the following meetings beginning at 6:30 p.m.:

Tuesday, May 31, located at the Water Resources Education Center, 4600 SE Columbia Way, Vancouver, to discuss Yacolt Burn State Forest;

Wednesday, June 1, located at the Burlington-Edison High School cafeteria, 301 N. Burlington Blvd., Burlington, to discuss Harry Osborne State Forest;

Thursday, June 2, located at The Evergreen State College Longhouse Education and Cultural Center, 2800 Dogtooth Lane NW, Olympia, to discuss Capitol State Forest.

Keeping public lands open for hunting and target shooting is an NRA priority and the involvement and activism of individual NRA members is critical.  There is a lot of public land at stake that could be closed to target shooting.

The ability to target shoot on public lands in an informal setting is being threatened by the increased use of these lands by non-shooters.  Ensure that your public lands are not closed to shooting!

Please attend these meetings and speak out in support of safe and responsible recreational shooting!

Anyone planning on attending to represent the shooting community?  It's already tough enough to find open shooting locations..

Link Posted: 5/28/2016 12:25:24 PM EDT
[#1]
Seriously?  Evergreen State College?

They always put these open houses in strange locations and on work days at that.  Makes it very difficult for the actual working class citizen to make it.  
Link Posted: 5/28/2016 5:01:07 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Seriously?  Evergreen State College?

They always put these open houses in strange locations and on work days at that.  Makes it very difficult for the actual working class citizen to make it.  
View Quote

Not to mention the meeting at the Burlington High School cafeteria is during a school day - even at 6:30PM there will still likely be students on campus for extracurricular stuff  
Link Posted: 5/29/2016 12:10:32 PM EDT
[#3]
This topic is discussed here also; http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_8_15/599723_Firearm_use_in_Tahuya_Forest.html

The time is convenient for many people as long as they work usual daylight hours and are not too far away from the meeting place.  I went to the Mason County meeting last week, it was productive.

Randy
Link Posted: 5/30/2016 11:30:04 PM EDT
[#4]
I'll be at the one in Vancouver.  I notified everyone I know with a gun.

I already posted this a couple weeks ago.  

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_8_15/599655_Vancouver_Shooters___Public_meeting_May_31st.html
Link Posted: 6/1/2016 10:53:40 PM EDT
[#5]
So I am at the Burlington meeting. No really strange horsepeople. Well, maybe two.
Link Posted: 6/1/2016 10:59:47 PM EDT
[#6]
Some good ideas, some really shitty ideas.
Link Posted: 6/1/2016 11:22:17 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Some good ideas, some really shitty ideas.
View Quote

Thanks for going.   So what's the consensus?
Link Posted: 6/2/2016 3:01:57 AM EDT
[#8]
There are / were 4 meeting scheduled.
Tahuya
Yacolt Burn
Harry Osborne
Capitol state forests

Each of these areas have been identified by the DNR as having the largest number of recreational shooters and issues with other recreational users.
That's part of the reason why there are no meetings in King or Snohomish or the east side of the state (as of yet)

With Tahuya and Capitol Forest and the Yacolt Burn area's it's with ORV's, with the Harry Osborn area it's horses.
So the DNR is approaching each of these areas with different mindsets.

In tonight's meeting I was figuring on there being rabid anti-gunners and crazy libtard horse people there.
What I found was the people that were there were about 95% in support of shooting.
I really only heard one person say that target shooting should be banned in the HO forest, and she left soon after that comment.

The issue is that target shooting is becoming more and more popular, and with the closing of other lands (both private and .gov) it is "funneling" more people into smaller areas, much like what's happened with Walker Valley after Reiter Pit was closed and "reworked".
This is causing conflicts with the rest of the users in the state forest lands.

What the DNR is doing is trying to figure out how to keep target shooting alive and well in DNR managed land and how to allow shooting without impacting other users.

So the DNR is having these meeting and gathering information from users of the forests.

Some of what the DNR said is spot on, getting the NRA involved, looking for actual no shit funding for shooting areas from the state and the .feds (ammo tax money anyone).
Actually setting standards for no shit shooting areas, ranges with backstops (not just gravel pits), benches, identified shooting lanes.

Getting gun clubs involved with the management of the land.
I bought up how Walker Valley works, the Skagit Motorcycle Club is the "managing partner" with the DNR as far as motorcycle trails go.
They do scheduled maintenance on the trails and take part in the management of the area.

I also brought up the old Granite Falls pit and how the WA ARFcom Hometown Forum, for a couple brief years, used to do semi-organized clean-up's out there (even though it was private property).
Local gun clubs should be able to get involved with helping to manage local shooting areas.

To me it was a positive meeting, the DNR has an open mind.
You have to remember that this is the first time the DNR has ever looked at target shooting with an eye to the future.

As far as the 4 areas go, three of them are destinations.
Tahuya, Yacolt Burn, and Capitol State.
You have people from all over the place visiting those areas, and no one really lives in "their backyard".

With the Harry Osborne forest it's more of the backyard for the people that live in the Concrete / Hamilton / Lyman / Sedro Wooly and the Hwy 20 area.
There were a lot of people there who were very adamant about the DNR not taking away "their shooting areas".
This meeting had a very family orientated feel about it.

The DNR said this is going to be an 18-24 month process.
Link Posted: 6/2/2016 4:55:48 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_8_15/599655_Vancouver_Shooters___Public_meeting_May_31st.html
View Quote
Did you go to the Vancouver meeting? If you did, which group did you break off in to and what was your take?

Link Posted: 6/3/2016 12:24:58 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Did you go to the Vancouver meeting? If you did, which group did you break off in to and what was your take?  
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I did, I was in the group by the door.  I thought it was a pretty good meeting but thought the head speaker seemed to be less than enthused about the topic. The rest of the DNR folks were on board or seemed to be.  The group I was in was mixed bikers and shooters and there was a guy and gal pissing and moaning about shooters, couldn't tell if they shooters or not.

I guess we shall see if they set up another meeting and what the next steps are.  I was shocked to hear them say meetings were had frequently for others groups but this was the first for shooters.

I hope something comes of this, didn't seem like they were talking about doing anything reasonably quickly.

Staying tuned.  

Art

Link Posted: 6/3/2016 1:08:28 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

I did, I was in the group by the door.  I thought it was a pretty good meeting but thought the head speaker seemed to be less than enthused about the topic. The rest of the DNR folks were on board or seemed to be.  The group I was in was mixed bikers and shooters and there was a guy and gal pissing and moaning about shooters, couldn't tell if they shooters or not.

I guess we shall see if they set up another meeting and what the next steps are.  I was shocked to hear them say meetings were had frequently for others groups but this was the first for shooters.

I hope something comes of this, didn't seem like they were talking about doing anything reasonably quickly.

Staying tuned.  

Art

View Quote

This is going to happen.
It's not going to be a fast process.

18-24 months before they even start to do anything.

It's still in the planning stages.

The DNR is starting to realize that there are "a lot" of recreational shooters using their land to target shoot on.

Target shooters might end up being one of the biggest recreational users of DNR land.

I think the big thing they are trying to figure out is how to manage the activity.

They admitted that since a lot of the private landowners have gated off their lands it has been forcing people who were going out into the boonies to now shoot in open areas that the DNR already has some sort of recreational usage going on (horses, ATV's).

I for one like the slow measured approach to the issue that the DNR is taking.

It's better than more gates.
Link Posted: 6/3/2016 9:36:35 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

This is going to happen.It's not going to be a fast process.

The DNR is starting to realize that there are "a lot" of recreational shooters using their land to target shoot on.
Target shooters might end up being one of the biggest recreational users of DNR land.

I think the big thing they are trying to figure out is how to manage the activity.
They admitted that since a lot of the private landowners have gated off their lands it has been forcing people who were going out into the boonies to now shoot in open areas that the DNR already has some sort of recreational usage going on (horses, ATV's).

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Staying tuned.  
Art

This is going to happen.It's not going to be a fast process.

I agree and wasn't expecting to see bulldozers pushing in backstops by the end of summer, but it appears to be a few years before anything is made.  Hopefully with a slow approach, areas will be created that will stay and not be encroached on. The longer the wait and the expansion of other hobbies only restricts places for shooting spots.  

I was happy to see as many folks turn out for the meeting (~80ish) and many were headstrong on getting the DNR to stay the course.  
I was expecting somebody to start complaining about EPA issues with lead and more negative feedback but I only heard the 2 folks near me.

The other problem is what ever we get, keeping them usable and somehow policing the turds that ruin shooting spots.  
I'm excited and hoping things move in the right direction.    

Have a good weekend.

Art
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top