Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/25/2016 8:16:55 AM EDT
Does anyone in Washington have any information on, or know any owners of, land on Manastash Ridge south of Ellensburg?  Specifically, I am curious about land off of Umptanum Rd near Coyote Run and Long Tom Canyon Rd.  General coordinates:  46.932230, -120.609682.

I am contemplating buying a 20 acre plot to use as my own personal shooting range, but I am curious why the property is so cheap (10k-12k for 20 acres) and why the property has been on the market for so long.  Does anyone know anything about this area or any rules in Kittitas County that would cause me issues?
Link Posted: 5/25/2016 12:16:38 PM EDT
[#1]
My guess is that there is limited water and power.  Very dry up there in the summertime.
Link Posted: 5/25/2016 7:14:27 PM EDT
[#2]
Getting water (well water) will be near to impossible. The county will no longer allow it. Probably does not have power to that particular lot either. Putting wells in Kittitas county right now is a hot topic issue. Should be able to google some news articles.

If your just getting it for range land, go for it. I will pay to use it
Link Posted: 5/25/2016 7:48:01 PM EDT
[#3]
Good to know about the water issues.  Thankfully I have no need for water or power.  The land would be purely for recreational use.  Still curious why property on Manastash in this area goes for 10-12k for 20 acres and 20 acres on the other side of the valley (north of Ellensburg) can cost 25k+.
Link Posted: 5/26/2016 9:28:01 AM EDT
[#4]
North side usually gets you up in the trees, and has better views.
Link Posted: 5/27/2016 12:42:19 AM EDT
[#5]
Mel's hole.
Link Posted: 5/27/2016 6:28:07 AM EDT
[#6]
I looked into this last year. In order to punch a well in you need to pay the Yakama tribe $5k-20k on any land from the top of the Cascades over to the Columbia and south of I-90.
Link Posted: 5/27/2016 10:36:52 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Mel's hole.
View Quote

A bottomless pit would be worth more than $10-12k.
Link Posted: 5/29/2016 12:15:41 PM EDT
[#8]
The land has no economically viable use.

ETA: - You can camp/shoot/hunt up there for free, so why would you pay 10-20k to do the same (and then taxes every year)?
Link Posted: 5/30/2016 10:42:05 PM EDT
[#9]
That's about 30 minutes before the state land I hunt on. Elk comes through that whole area.
Link Posted: 6/1/2016 12:23:24 AM EDT
[#10]
A couple of friends bought property near Taneum Creek in the early 80's.
Most people thought they were crazy to do so.

These days everyone wants to use the property as a base camp for hunting, dirt bike riding and snowmobile riding.
Link Posted: 6/8/2016 5:11:47 PM EDT
[#11]
I looked at land in that area 20 years ago.  Back then, one of the 20 acre lots was about $6k  Anyway, took a drive out, got to a point where there's no way to tell if there's a dirt road anymore.  Found the general area of the property.  0 landmarks and NOTHING there.  You couldn't ask for a more remote and hostile piece of land.  I wouldn't pay $50 for it, there is nothing there.

ETA, if you want to shoot over here, take Durr Road past the cattle guard.  Once you go up the hill, you'll see where people set up on the right side of the road and shoot.
Link Posted: 6/10/2016 8:59:53 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I looked at land in that area 20 years ago.  Back then, one of the 20 acre lots was about $6k  Anyway, took a drive out, got to a point where there's no way to tell if there's a dirt road anymore.  Found the general area of the property.  0 landmarks and NOTHING there.  You couldn't ask for a more remote and hostile piece of land.  I wouldn't pay $50 for it, there is nothing there.

ETA, if you want to shoot over here, take Durr Road past the cattle guard.  Once you go up the hill, you'll see where people set up on the right side of the road and shoot.
View Quote

And clean up your damn trash when you leave.
Link Posted: 6/18/2016 3:15:32 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
A couple of friends bought property near Taneum Creek in the early 80's.
Most people thought they were crazy to do so.

These days everyone wants to use the property as a base camp for hunting, dirt bike riding and snowmobile riding.
View Quote

DNR/Interior/Forestry Rents a bunch of ground there for the fire camp every year as well.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top