Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/20/2016 1:06:52 AM EDT
Lately I've been seeing cars without a month tab, just two year tabs, like a 2015 tab next to the 2016 tab. One of the year tabs being over the spot where the month tab should be.

Is this something significant? I have just noticed it on many more cars than usual lately.

Or are people just screwing up placing a sticker where a sticker belongs?
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 2:29:45 AM EDT
[#1]
It's people who struggle with context clues.
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 4:22:17 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

Lately I've been seeing cars without a month tab, just two year tabs, like a 2015 tab next to the 2016 tab. One of the year tabs being over the spot where the month tab should be.

Is this something significant? I have just noticed it on many more cars than usual lately.

View Quote
Idiots but also deliberate by a small percentage of douchebags who think by obscuring the month sticker that they can renew their tabs whenever.

I guess Obama's strong economy doesn't stretch to tabs or insurance on vehicles.
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 12:26:52 PM EDT
[#3]
It may work out for a while for not renewing your tags, but it sure seems like a good way to get pulled over and have the officer "remind" you that your tag is missing.  Once pulled over for a reasonable issue (like no month tag), the person without the month tag has given law enforcement a freebie to get police into your business and life.  Fine by me if they want to try it out, but I try to avoid giving LE any reason to come into my life.
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 1:05:37 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Idiots but also deliberate by a small percentage of douchebags who think by obscuring the month sticker that they can renew their tabs whenever.    

I guess Obama's strong economy doesn't stretch to tabs or insurance on vehicles.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's kind of what I was thinking, but if you go a few years without paying for tabs, and then go to renew them, don't you have to pay for the previous years tabs before you can get the latest year sticker?
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 3:23:04 PM EDT
[#5]
Common core math at work.
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 6:40:55 PM EDT
[#6]
Probably an attempt to 'stretch' car tag payments...

Kind of like the idiots who put their '6' for June on as a '9'.
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 9:15:26 PM EDT
[#7]
For those who dont know, I navigate a concrete truck, downtown, all day everyday.

Liberalism is a mental disease. Once they do away with all things right- they will self implode.
I doubt they fuck the tabs up on purpose, Ill guess it goes like this. "Oh, 2015 is there, I know what comes next, 2016!"
Watch them drive. They cant. Watch them as peds and bicyclists, suicide watch all day. Watch them fuck- well dont watch that, they still dont know opposites attract.
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 10:49:28 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

That's kind of what I was thinking, but if you go a few years without paying for tabs, and then go to renew them, don't you have to pay for the previous years tabs before you can get the latest year sticker?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sort of.  I noticed last week that my motorcycle tabs expired last June (I'm not a flake, I just never ride it) so I went online to renew them.  If I renew them now they would only be good till this June, none pro-rated.  If I wait till after June they start the year when I renew.

I can wait.  Especially since Tacoma tacked on an extra $20 per tab.  Nice way to stick it to me for buying an extra car that gets better gas mileage than my work truck.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 2:40:58 AM EDT
[#9]
There are probably a few people who think they are getting away with something.  There are also a lot of people who are just plain dumb.
I've even seen plates where they cover every available spot on the plate rather than put the new sticker over the old one.

In case anyone was wondering, there are a few reasons why doing this as a way of hiding your expired tabs won't work.
First off, any cop who can read the tabs will see that you've  committed the infraction of "improper display"  That's a pretty good reason to run the plate and see if maybe you've also got "felony tabs" (more then 2 months expired).  It only takes a few seconds for a cop to run your plate in the DOL database. You may be looking at two infractions.
Also, the tabs are color coded.  Most cops know the colors.  If you put the current year over the month and leave the old year visible, it may look expired even to a cop who is too far away to read the actual numbers.  Same thing goes with flipping a June tab over, thinking that will get you a free ride until September.  The color will be wrong.

Tab violations are one of the easiest infractions for a cop to spot and to write.  They are a favorite of new Officers.  Just the kinds of guys who love to dig and find every other violation they can.  Playing games with tabs just screams, "I've got lots of other things to hide!"

Like someone else said, inviting the law into your life when you don't need to is just dumb.

[ETA - I can't believe I just wasted this post number on a discussion about license plate tabs.  Now I feel like the idiot.]
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 3:30:00 AM EDT
[#10]
Whoever invented the idea of plate tabs should be killed. Complete waste of time. No justification at all, other than soaking the working man for yet more $.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 5:19:03 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Whoever invented the idea of plate tabs should be killed. Complete waste of time. No justification at all, other than soaking the working man for yet more $.

View Quote
Ever live back east? Tabs are nothing compared to what you had in Virginia with the State Inspection sticker and City Decal on top of the vehicle registration. Fucking rackets for sure.

Link Posted: 4/21/2016 10:46:00 AM EDT
[#12]
When I was stationed in Hawaii many years ago, we had to do tabs, safety inspection where they took your wheels off and inspected the brakes!, tire inspection, that they used a little gauge on to check tire depth, lighting inspection and forget it if you had a rock chip in your window, talk about overreach!   I was glad when I got shipped off to Iraq and that happened on my Birthday!
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 11:21:01 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Ever live back east? Tabs are nothing compared to what you had in Virginia with the State Inspection sticker and City Decal on top of the vehicle registration. Fucking rackets for sure.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I've heard some horror stories. That crap is just ridiculous. Emissions testing is a total joke also. How many gallons of gas and emissions do we waste, collectively, doing these tests? The state tells you that you should do some freeway driving before you test... so there you are, burning fossil fuels for NO reason, other than getting a government hack to "approve" of your cars performance. It makes no sense. Only modern vehicles are tested, even though they are the most efficient AND the easiest to tune up/down for performance (or to game the test). It's just a waste. While we're wasting tax dollars, maybe we should fund a study showing just how much time, money, and emissions are wasted complying with state vehicle bullshit.

Link Posted: 4/22/2016 1:42:08 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

I've heard some horror stories. That crap is just ridiculous. Emissions testing is a total joke also. How many gallons of gas and emissions do we waste, collectively, doing these tests? The state tells you that you should do some freeway driving before you test... so there you are, burning fossil fuels for NO reason, other than getting a government hack to "approve" of your cars performance. It makes no sense. Only modern vehicles are tested, even though they are the most efficient AND the easiest to tune up/down for performance (or to game the test). It's just a waste. While we're wasting tax dollars, maybe we should fund a study showing just how much time, money, and emissions are wasted complying with state vehicle bullshit.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

But, but, look at all the jobs that are created/sarc

Link Posted: 4/22/2016 5:44:45 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You don't have to pay for the year you skip. I had a car that I was building and skipped an emissions year since it was just sitting in the garage. I figured they would have seen that I didn't licence the car for the previous year and have to go get emissions done, but that wasn't the case.
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 5:46:08 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Sort of.  I noticed last week that my motorcycle tabs expired last June (I'm not a flake, I just never ride it) so I went online to renew them.  If I renew them now they would only be good till this June, none pro-rated.  If I wait till after June they start the year when I renew.

I can wait.  Especially since Tacoma tacked on an extra $20 per tab.  Nice way to stick it to me for buying an extra car that gets better gas mileage than my work truck.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm pretty sure you can get the upcoming year tab 3 months before they expire.
Link Posted: 4/23/2016 12:05:54 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

If your tabs have expired within the last 12 months and you go to renew them they will only be good for a year from the last expiration date, not from the date you renew.

So if my motorcycle tabs expired June 2 of last year and I go in to renew them on June 1 of this year they would only be good for a day (unless I pay for the up coming year as well as the previous year)

If you're military and provide deployment papers they will wave this rule.
Link Posted: 4/23/2016 12:25:40 PM EDT
[#18]
When I was ferry commuting to work from the Bainbridge dock every day I was surprised at how many expensive cars had expired tags; some more than six months.  I asked an official at WSP why they didn't just troll the ferry waiting line and write tickets.  His answer was stunning.  Paraphrasing, he said they didn't want to disrupt the ferry traffic flow.

Wait, what?  They're parked in a line; there is no "flow" happening.  I'm thinking, 'they don't need to jack up the gas taxes, they just need to collect the money the scoff-laws owe'.

I've gotten good at the tag colors.  There's a color for the year, and four colors for the months, one for each quarter.  

As an aside, when I moved out to Kitsap I noticed the calls on my scanner were mostly for driving with a suspended license. The deputies are routinely stopping drivers with several "driving with suspended license" convictions.  There was a car accident involving three cars, none of the drivers had a valid license.  

Scanner: "ID only, license suspended third, FTA unpaid tickets".
Link Posted: 4/25/2016 1:11:51 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
When I was ferry commuting to work from the Bainbridge dock every day I was surprised at how many expensive cars had expired tags; some more than six months.  I asked an official at WSP why they didn't just troll the ferry waiting line and write tickets.  His answer was stunning.  Paraphrasing, he said they didn't want to disrupt the ferry traffic flow.

Wait, what?  They're parked in a line; there is no "flow" happening.  I'm thinking, 'they don't need to jack up the gas taxes, they just need to collect the money the scoff-laws owe'.

I've gotten good at the tag colors.  There's a color for the year, and four colors for the months, one for each quarter.  

As an aside, when I moved out to Kitsap I noticed the calls on my scanner were mostly for driving with a suspended license. The deputies are routinely stopping drivers with several "driving with suspended license" convictions.  There was a car accident involving three cars, none of the drivers had a valid license.  

Scanner: "ID only, license suspended third, FTA unpaid tickets".
View Quote

My wife grew up on Vashon, and says that people keep "Island cars" that they only drive around on Vashon and don't pay for tags on. But they keep their mainland car tags up to date! LOL!
Link Posted: 4/25/2016 6:59:11 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
When I was stationed in Hawaii many years ago, we had to do tabs, safety inspection where they took your wheels off and inspected the brakes!, tire inspection, that they used a little gauge on to check tire depth, lighting inspection and forget it if you had a rock chip in your window, talk about overreach!   I was glad when I got shipped off to Iraq and that happened on my Birthday!
View Quote

When I was stationed in Hawaii ('69-'70) when I got back from Nam, , I don't remember the inspections being that harsh.
But I do remember the tag fees went by weight, so it was expensive to license your '53 Caddy, but cheap for tags on new VW.
Mine were not too bad on '67 Fairlane GT, wish I still had that one.......
Link Posted: 4/25/2016 7:11:23 PM EDT
[#21]
What about the phenomenon in SoCal with all these car driving with NO plates!  Usually on some Mercedes, BMW, Audi or other high end make.  I commonly see them with the black Rusnak placeholder plates.  They are obviously abusing the grace period for the vanity lmao.
Link Posted: 4/25/2016 10:55:06 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

View Quote
In New Orleans after Katrina I was glad they had to do crap like that around there, because otherwise no one would ever do any kind of routine maintenance to thier vehicles, and a lot of people on the road didn't grow up around cars.

Of course, I had room to not worry, as I kept my car tabbed in Wa and never spent enough time anywhere to qualify for having to get residency. (Also kept me from paying state tax to La)
Link Posted: 4/26/2016 8:51:46 AM EDT
[#23]
I got the new tab for my wifes car and went out and put it in the wrong spot.
I put the 2016 right next to the 2015 instead of over it.
I am a fairly intelligent guy, this is a mistake that I will need to correct somehow.
Anyone know how to actually correct this?
I am sure it happens everyday, I did not intend on doing this but it happened.
Link Posted: 4/26/2016 1:12:27 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I am a fairly intelligent guy, this is a mistake that I will need to correct somehow.
View Quote
I don't know the 'official' remedy, but I would:
Drive to your favorite licensing branch
Remove the plate
Take it inside and stand in line
When it's your turn, hand the plate to the clerk while wearing that sheepish puppy-dog expression you'd practiced on the ride down there
Ask them to fix it.
Link Posted: 4/26/2016 8:01:56 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
View Quote

If I remember right, they will sell you a replacement tag, but they won't give it to you, just like they will sell you a replacement registration, but won't give you one. It may have changed, but that would be a first. I can see a small fee for having to assign a new tab number to that plate, in some cases. I have to buy a replacement tab as my tab was up in January, it was cold here, and I was lazy so I tried the heat the plate up, which really didn't work, now it's starting to peel. Next time even if it's zero I'm just going to pull the plate off. I also scrape the previous year off, as it helps them from cracking off, I've been pulled over for having a corner broken off of my tag. I fully agree I want to give 5-0 no reason to enter my life for anything other than speeding. Like was said above to me it screams I'm hiding things and have other issues.
Link Posted: 4/26/2016 8:47:16 PM EDT
[#26]
Register in Montana...

Don't like the fees....quit paying them
Link Posted: 4/26/2016 11:05:35 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Register in Montana...

View Quote

Without a address and the ability to show residency it won't last long where your know, like over here on the dry side where everyone knows who's, who. Know people who've tried it, got caught and it would have been cheaper to buy the damn tabs, can't  remember the charge but it's basically avoiding or circumventing the law paying state fees, and this state is broke and money hungry.
Link Posted: 4/27/2016 12:04:42 AM EDT
[#28]
What law is being broken?

It's a legal Montana registered company vehicle being used in another state...
Link Posted: 4/27/2016 8:45:02 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Without a address and the ability to show residency it won't last long where your know, like over here on the dry side where everyone knows who's, who. Know people who've tried it, got caught and it would have been cheaper to buy the damn tabs, can't  remember the charge but it's basically avoiding or circumventing the law paying state fees, and this state is broke and money hungry.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Register in Montana...

RCW 46.16A.030

See item (6).
Link Posted: 4/27/2016 10:59:27 AM EDT
[#30]
Yes it is illegal for a resident to try use a false address to register a vehicle in a different state...

A company vehicle owed and licensed  in a the state it is formed in is legal.

Link Posted: 4/27/2016 12:43:49 PM EDT
[#31]
Assuming that it can be demonstrated that the person in question is a Washington State resident and that the vehicle in question remains in Washington State all or even most of the time, I personally would not have too much confidence about prevailing in a legal battle should push come to shove. LLC or not, it's pretty obvious that the intent is to evade WA taxes. Legal fees could easily exceed whatever costs were saved by evasion. And not only that, but considering that my annual registration fees are only $50-60 per vehicle, I doubt that I would save anything anyhow.

I am sort of curious how financing and insuring a vehicle registered to an LLC works, though.
Link Posted: 4/27/2016 1:21:57 PM EDT
[#32]
I posted this for the sole intent of maybe helping a fellow ARFCOMer...and not a "my lift kit is bigger then yours"

Nothing about having an LLC that owns your vehicle, boat, camper is illegal. Permanent tabs/plates and no sales tax is a pure benefit to having a registered LLC in this state vs. other states. All the paper can be done by yourself, with the only needed item being a MT registered agent. They will gladly do everything for you within days for a fee.

Lots of individuals have a 2nd home here are not considered a resident. That means nothing if you company is registered here and decided to by a new boat. The state could care less where you live, but does care where your LLC is registered.

Insurance is easy, if you current company says they can't do it. There is a handful of agencies that will gladly take your money and email you cards by the end of the day.

You don't have to be a resident to have insurance on a MT LLC vehicle. If your financing, have an LLC already in place.
Link Posted: 4/27/2016 7:36:52 PM EDT
[#33]
I see a huge problem with financing, there needs to be a name aka signer for the loan, now what happens when that person is a Washington resident. While appreciate your helping I see to many things that can go wrong that a broke, money hungry state can and will go wrong, I really don't see a advantage especially on a already purchased vehicle. Hell the state is going after business's that are located in other states, but deliver to Washington residents.
Link Posted: 4/28/2016 12:14:32 AM EDT
[#34]
Seriously....what fucking problem is there?

Being an owner/manger, just sign your name. You own the company. You think a car dealership cares where the money is from. I would like to buy this. Here's my money....put in it my company's name.

I don't have a dog in this fight. But arguing paying taxes,license, tab, emissions,financing...fine pay them. They spend it on everything you approve  of right???

Link Posted: 4/29/2016 11:53:48 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Seriously....what fucking problem is there?

Being an owner/manger, just sign your name. You own the company. You think a car dealership cares where the money is from. I would like to buy this. Here's my money....put in it my company's name.

I don't have a dog in this fight. But arguing paying taxes,license, tab, emissions,financing...fine pay them. They spend it on everything you approve  of right???

Hey, I'm all for not giving Olympia any more than I have to. I'm not arguing any of it, to argue, trying to skirt the tab fee is not one that will pay off in the long run. My financing issue is, when you sign up for it, what do you put for your physical address?

View Quote

Link Posted: 4/29/2016 1:35:57 PM EDT
[#36]
The problem here is that creating a tax shelter in another state for the express purpose of evading taxes in the one in which you reside is at best shaky legal ground.

Yes, it is perfectly legal. In Montana. For a Montanan. For a Washinston resident? Maybe not so much. One of the first results from a casual search: Washington Weighs in on Montana’s RV Law

If it can't be demonstrated that the Montana LLC is set up to conduct business in pursuit of profit, it is probably going to viewed as a tax shelter to avoid taxes. That could, and in fact has, expose someone to significant legal liabilities. I would definitely seek legal counsel, from a Washington state attorney, before pursuing this.
Link Posted: 4/30/2016 8:44:54 AM EDT
[#37]
"Don’t believe it, says the Washington State Department of Revenue."

Link Posted: 5/17/2016 12:26:10 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

For those who dont know, I navigate a concrete truck, downtown, all day everyday.

Liberalism is a mental disease. Once they do away with all things right- they will self implode.
I doubt they fuck the tabs up on purpose, Ill guess it goes like this. "Oh, 2015 is there, I know what comes next, 2016!"
Watch them drive. They cant. Watch them as peds and bicyclists, suicide watch all day. Watch them fuck- well dont watch that, they still dont know opposites attract.

View Quote

This is why I definately DO NOT miss my days of working in downtown Seattle...

Now, I'm right next to I-5 in Oly... Drive through Lacey, cross the freeway, park, go to work... Minimal retardation...

Biggest traffic snarl is the 2 schools on my route & the swarms of kids in the morning...

Link Posted: 5/17/2016 12:28:29 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Emissions is federal (EPA mandate)...

At least for now...

I would hate to see what Gov GreenieWeenie would do, if he decided to implement an actual state emissions scheme...
Link Posted: 5/17/2016 12:31:02 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

View Quote

Tacoma trolls parked cars for petty violations...

My wife got a ticket left on her front windshield, for having her front plate covered by the dealer cardboard-label, while parked in Tacoma street parking...
Link Posted: 5/17/2016 1:32:03 AM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

My wife got a ticket left on her front windshield, for having her front plate covered by the dealer cardboard-label, while parked in Tacoma street parking...

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Tell me about it. They pay special attention to UW-T students. They stop enforcement everywhere else downtown after 6pm but spend an extra 2 hours near campus and on the Ave enforcing parking.

Trolls indeed. I heckled one not too long ago while waiting for the Link back to the Dome Parking garage. Everyone else on the platform just stood there like a bunch of clowns. Fuck them, fuck the city and fuck parking enforcement.
Link Posted: 5/24/2016 10:50:03 AM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

Tell me about it. They pay special attention to UW-T students. They stop enforcement everywhere else downtown after 6pm but spend an extra 2 hours near campus and on the Ave enforcing parking.    Trolls indeed. I heckled one not too long ago while waiting for the Link back to the Dome Parking garage. Everyone else on the platform just stood there like a bunch of clowns. Fuck them, fuck the city and fuck parking enforcement.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Tell me about it. They pay special attention to UW-T students. They stop enforcement everywhere else downtown after 6pm but spend an extra 2 hours near campus and on the Ave enforcing parking.    Trolls indeed. I heckled one not too long ago while waiting for the Link back to the Dome Parking garage. Everyone else on the platform just stood there like a bunch of clowns. Fuck them, fuck the city and fuck parking enforcement.

Next thing you know, the right-on-red-cameras will be enforcing tabs & speed...
Link Posted: 5/24/2016 11:47:50 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:Emissions is federal (EPA mandate)...

At least for now...

I would hate to see what Gov GreenieWeenie would do, if he decided to implement an actual state emissions scheme...
View Quote

uhhh, no. Lots of people in America...including most counties in WA state, don't have to go get their cars smogged at DEQ or whatever that complete waste of time/money is called. Only 5 counties in WA do it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vehicle_inspection_in_the_United_States

My wife was born/raised in Cowlitz county and responded with, "ummm, what?" when I mentioned getting our cars emission tested when she first moved here. Never heard of it before.

It's literally impossible for the emissions testing regime here in WA to actually cut emissions. The program is the kind of epic fail that only government can manage to "achieve".
Link Posted: 5/25/2016 3:39:45 PM EDT
[#44]

uhhh, no. Lots of people in America...including most counties in WA state, don't have to go get their cars smogged at DEQ or whatever that complete waste of time/money is called. Only 5 counties in WA do it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vehicle_inspection_in_the_United_States

My wife was born/raised in Cowlitz county and responded with, "ummm, what?" when I mentioned getting our cars emission tested when she first moved here. Never heard of it before.

It's literally impossible for the emissions testing regime here in WA to actually cut emissions. The program is the kind of epic fail that only government can manage to "achieve".
View Quote

I live in Thurston County. I don't have to get smogged.

The fact remains that - nationwide - the decision as to which counties/areas have smog testing and which do not is mandated by the US EPA.

The states are forced to implement it, but it is the EPA cracking the whip & giving the orders. States could theoretically 'add to' the mandate (California does - with their damn-awful CARB - but thank God we don't in WA) but they cannot take away from it..

For example, out in TX, San Antonio may be forced to require emissions testing if their air-quality measurements fall below EPA requirements. Not because Texas wants to... But because the EPA/Clean Air Act requires it.

And yes, it is stupid.

Yes, it will not improve air quality.

But for once you really can't blame the state for the ham-fisted implementation: that is the EPA telling the state to do it this way...

Link Posted: 5/25/2016 4:48:36 PM EDT
[#45]
I see what you're saying now. :)

I do still blame states in the sense that the feds only have power over them in the sense that they're dependant on federal $$$$. If not for that, states would be a lot better at flipping fedzilla the bird. As it is, states are pretty much just district lackies serving their federal masters. Obama says "brussel sprouts for everyone!" and the states bow down. It's pathetic.

In this case, there are ways around things... The state just isn't being creative. Apply the exact same kind of "ignore federal law" treachery than cities, counties, and states are doing every single day with illegal immigrants and apply it to this issue and no one would be getting smog checked. WA could, for example, let people register their cars in any country they want. Problem solved.

Link Posted: 5/25/2016 5:12:35 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

View Quote

And even within those 5 counties, emissions testing isn't universal. No emissions for me living in the only sane part of Pierce County left.

It won't last. Already been seeing Dial A Ride connector buses along with homeless people.....who are pretty fucking obvious when they're aimlessly walking around a town of 3,100 people. I can't seem to escape the wonderful infusion of culture that urban sprawl brings with it.

Link Posted: 5/25/2016 7:51:36 PM EDT
[#47]
I don't get the emissions standards here, at all. My truck is 30 years old and is almost to 300k without failing an emission test by a long shot. Back when they gave you a report of how much your car blew and how much you were allowed I was far below the requirement.
Link Posted: 5/25/2016 11:12:13 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

I see what you're saying now. :)

I do still blame states in the sense that the feds only have power over them in the sense that they're dependant on federal $$$$. If not for that, states would be a lot better at flipping fedzilla the bird. As it is, states are pretty much just district lackies serving their federal masters. Obama says "brussel sprouts for everyone!" and the states bow down. It's pathetic.

In this case, there are ways around things... The state just isn't being creative. Apply the exact same kind of "ignore federal law" treachery than cities, counties, and states are doing every single day with illegal immigrants and apply it to this issue and no one would be getting smog checked. WA could, for example, let people register their cars in any country they want. Problem solved.

View Quote

But this is WA, where the top-2 pols in state (Mayor of Seattle & Governor) are constantly competing in a greener-than-thou rat-screw contest...

I am just glad we don't have a WARB, given how much CA crap gets copied...
Link Posted: 5/25/2016 11:13:36 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

I don't get the emissions standards here, at all. My truck is 30 years old and is almost to 300k without failing an emission test by a long shot. Back when they gave you a report of how much your car blew and how much you were allowed I was far below the requirement.
View Quote

Lots of places that *do* have smog, are only concerned about the computer-check on post 96 vehicles... If OBD2 says you're good, you're good. Waste of time/money, but that is what it is...

It's cheaper than the exhaust-gas analyzer...

Just glad I still live outside the zone & don't have to mess with it...

Link Posted: 5/31/2016 1:27:07 PM EDT
[#50]
I always hated the fact that they would not pro rate.  AKA, give ya a new expiration date.  I was told, that you get a new date ONLY when it has been 1 year PAST it's renewal.  Anything with in that, sorry, same renewal.....  So if I park a vehicle unused for over a year PAST it's normal renewal... say it was Nov (2001) normally....then say 13 months later, I renew Dec (2002), I get a Dec renewal....

State does NOT want to loose money at all.  Look at the way they calculate "use" tax on vehicles.... even if you are honest on the price ya paid, sometimes if it's TOO low below what they feel is "fair market value", they will use the tables....granted, at what rate?  Is it retail at a dealer or private?  Look on NADA or other vehicle sites, they give TWO values... private sale price and a dealer price!!!  I have never checked to see which price the state looks at... I'll have to ask a friend who was in the dealership business....
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top